daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #541
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Milwaukee's shopping is more of a district than a street.. probably the high end area would be the Third Ward with the many boutiques and home stores (and more being added all the time). No national retailers, but locally owned stores with global merchandise.
'Design Within Reach' is a national high-end furniture store in Third Ward, but that's the only national brand I can think of.
EastSider no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #542
CG5
prickly

Likes (Received): 1

Starbucks.
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #543
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

That is sort of my point. I love the world class boutiques in the Third Ward, and they give me the feeling that there are plenty of people in Milwaukee who are willing to spend a lot of money on fashion. I personally am not one of them, but there's definitely a market here. I am saying in addition to the unique high end stores, we need some high end brand names (Prada, Versace, Gucci.) I don't know why everybody thinks that Milwaukee is full of poor people, but it's not. These stores can definitely work in Milwaukee, they won't steal too much business from the smaller boutiques (same class, different market) especially if they are side by side in the third ward, and having some brand stores like these change the perceptions of the city for a lot of people. So, I think we need to push for these stores here in Milwaukee.

PS - Stop using Chicago as a cop out. Just because we're 90 miles from a world class city doesn't mean that we're worthless. Let's give them a run for their money. Healthy competition between cities is a good thing.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #544
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
I don't know why everybody thinks that Milwaukee is full of poor people, but it's not.
Milwaukee is full of poor people. It just has a small number of Łber-rich ones too. People in this town too often forget that there's a whole city west of the riverwhen they talk about Milwaukee.

I think that the east side of Downtown Milwaukee would be a better place for high end shopping, though. We could expand out from Milwaukee and Jefferson St.s where there's already a fair amount of high end shopping and restaurants. There was a dept store on E. Wisconsin by there until the mid eighties and the Pfister is right nearby.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #545
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Milwaukee is full of poor people. It just has a small number of Łber-rich ones too..
Congradulations, you just described something that occurs in every major city in the country; this isn't something wholly native to Milwaukee.
CHIsentinel no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #546
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

just because the north side and national ave are in need of some economic activity dose not mean that the entire city is 'poor'. Shorewood?
This is not to degrade the need for more aggressive investment policy to reinvent the city, such as the Doyle's. Thank you suburbia and the white flight for the state of Milwaukee. prime example arrowhead high school district. After I moved from Milwaukee I discovered that most cities are not as divided as our city of festivals. hopefully the metro group 8 will work together to bring around regional economic success.
Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #547
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

RIVIANNA

Condo Development in Milwaukee's 5th Ward

story i saw on fox 6, says its still in the planning stages
They said the developer is planning a condo with three 11 story towers on a four story base which means 15??? just watch and see the picture of the proposal, looks cool... $100 million dollar development, 220 condos & 80 room hotel ... and $1,000,000 penthouse condos

http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/...Y&pageId=4.1.1

&

Shopping center could get $1.8 million
A $9 million neighborhood shopping center planned for Milwaukee's central city would receive $1.8 million in city financing under a proposal disclosed today.

The money would help finance a 44,000-square-foot Lena's Food Market, and additional retail space, said James Scherer, of the Department of City Development. The shopping center would be built on 7.5 acres along the north side of W. North Ave., east of N. 25th St., Scherer said at a meeting of the Redevelopment Authority.

The authority delayed acting on the financing proposal, which also requires Common Council approval, but will likely issue a recommendation at its next meeting. The money would be repaid over an estimated 21 years through the shopping center's property taxes. Once those funds were repaid, the property taxes would flow to the city, Milwaukee Public Schools and other local governments.
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #548
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Milwaukee is full of poor people. It just has a small number of Łber-rich ones too. People in this town too often forget that there's a whole city west of the riverwhen they talk about Milwaukee.

I think that the east side of Downtown Milwaukee would be a better place for high end shopping, though. We could expand out from Milwaukee and Jefferson St.s where there's already a fair amount of high end shopping and restaurants. There was a dept store on E. Wisconsin by there until the mid eighties and the Pfister is right nearby.
Yes, the east side would be a nice place for high end shopping, but I have to agree with the other posters talking about this being in the Third Ward. That section has already been practically established as the trendy part of the city, along with the East Side. Although, seeing Gucci, Prada, Louis Vutton, etc. show their faces here would have to take a bit more higher end shoppers then we currently have. I definitely can see Milwaukee getting them, but maybe not until like 5 years or so. Milwaukee still has a lot of space around downtown that needs to be revamped, and it is getting done (thanks Miltown for the link about the Walkers Point condo development!).

As for your comment about Milwaukee being poor - I think we had a little moment a few pages back about roughly the same point, but instead it was about Milwaukeeians not being able to afford Midwest tickets! Yes, Milwaukee is more than just the east side of the river.....but when you say things west of the river....it ain't all that bad. Guaranteed, Wisconsin Ave. is a bit rough from Marquette to a little past 35th St., but after that it gets better. West of downtown Milwaukee is Wauwatosa, Brookfield, Germantown, and even farther Oconomowoc....yes they may be suburbs but they aren't exactly trash pits!

Also there is more to Milwaukee than the west of it. What about south of Milwaukee? Franklin, Oak Creek, St. Francis building on the lakefront, Cudahy redoing their image?? Milwaukee neighborhoods like Walkers Point, Bay View??? Don't forget about north of Milwaukee with the east side, UWM "college town" on North Ave., Lake Drive. How can you explain away Shorewood? the North Shore? Mequon?? Yes, the core of the city (North Ave., Burleigh St., Hampton Ave., Capitol Dr from I-43 to about 70th St) is not that good. But some is getting better. Some is staying the same. Some is getting worse. What can you expect from lower income neighborhoods unless they get federal and state monies?
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #549
CG5
prickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
West of downtown Milwaukee is...Brookfield, Germantown, and even farther Oconomowoc....yes they may be suburbs but they aren't exactly trash pits!
Sure they are. They're just rich trash pits. (You kind of set that one up for me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Also there is more to Milwaukee than the west of it. What about south of Milwaukee? Franklin, Oak Creek, St. Francis building on the lakefront, Cudahy redoing their image?? Milwaukee neighborhoods like Walkers Point, Bay View??? Don't forget about north of Milwaukee with the east side, UWM "college town" on North Ave., Lake Drive. How can you explain away Shorewood? the North Shore? Mequon?? Yes, the core of the city (North Ave., Burleigh St., Hampton Ave., Capitol Dr from I-43 to about 70th St) is not that good. But some is getting better. Some is staying the same. Some is getting worse. What can you expect from lower income neighborhoods unless they get federal and state monies?
The south shore suburbs are, by no stretch of the imagination, wealthy. They're pretty stolid, blue-collar communities, despite a smattering of lakefront condos. The areas you mentioned are exactly the parts of the city that have already been brought up -- the parts between the river and the lakefront.

And as for super high-end designer stuff like Gucci, Prada, et. al., (and yes, this is just my opinion) there's not a chance in frozen hell that stores like that would ever float here. Milwaukee is, like it or not, one of the smaller markets in the country. Those types of stores have opened and failed in much larger metros (hello, Cleveland.) The truth is, Milwaukee's wealth is in its middle and upper middle class. The North Shore is well off, but not enough to support stores like that. Those stores need a considerable amount of foot traffic, even with the prices they charge, to turn a decent profit. Milwaukee's high-end market just isn't large enough to support that kind of retail and -- barring some crazy, expectation-shattering demographic shift -- won't be, at least not for a very long time. Especially with a mega market like Chicago an hour and a half to the south, I would be surprised if Milwaukee ever saw that type of store. It's not an "excuse." It's reality.
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #550
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
Sure they are. They're just rich trash pits. (You kind of set that one up for me.)

The south shore suburbs are, by no stretch of the imagination, wealthy. They're pretty stolid, blue-collar communities, despite a smattering of lakefront condos. The areas you mentioned are exactly the parts of the city that have already been brought up -- the parts between the river and the lakefront.

And as for super high-end designer stuff like Gucci, Prada, et. al., (and yes, this is just my opinion) there's not a chance in frozen hell that stores like that would ever float here. Milwaukee is, like it or not, one of the smaller markets in the country. Those types of stores have opened and failed in much larger metros (hello, Cleveland.) The truth is, Milwaukee's wealth is in its middle and upper middle class. The North Shore is well off, but not enough to support stores like that. Those stores need a considerable amount of foot traffic, even with the prices they charge, to turn a decent profit. Milwaukee's high-end market just isn't large enough to support that kind of retail and -- barring some crazy, expectation-shattering demographic shift -- won't be, at least not for a very long time. Especially with a mega market like Chicago an hour and a half to the south, I would be surprised if Milwaukee ever saw that type of store. It's not an "excuse." It's reality.
So why are they rich trash pits?? I don't know if that was a joke or not....but if the reason is because they're suburbs and not downtown well that's bogus. There is more to development in a city than a downtown area!

Perhaps the southern half of the city is as wealthy as, let's say, River Hills or Mequon or the East Side, but it's slowly changing from that "blue collar" area. That also doesn't mean Milwaukee's "poor" because it has blue collar areas.

And if you wanna throw the Milwaukee River going ALL the way north as "between the river and the lakefront" be my guest. But I thought milwaukee-kÝbenhavn was talking about the downtown area between the river and lakefront. So my apologies there. But no matter where the river is, past it there are nice communities, both middle and upper class. yesh!

Concerning the whole upscale retailer thing, I still stick to the whole wait a few years thing. With Chicagoans moving up here in droves, with more attractions and destinations, and with more upscale living - there will be some kind of need for upscale shopping.
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #551
CG5
prickly

You're not the brightest light on the tree, are ya Sparky?
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #552
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
You're not the brightest light on the tree, are ya Sparky?
And where did that comment come from? Because I completely disagree with you on basically every point you made on your recent posts? Or is it because I apparently don't have your Chicagoan intellect? As a Windy City lover, I'm very disappointed in your attitude - Illinois posters have usually been more favorable of Milwaukee and what it has become.

I might be only a few months past of turning 20, but that doesn't mean I don't have the common sense to realize and understand what's going on in and around this city. I don't have connections in and around the area, I don't have insiders at companies and firms telling me info before it comes out the next day or week, and as much as I'd like to have them I know that it takes time to form such relationships, so therefore I probably keep up with things happening in the Milwaukee area as years-old veterans of this site, by looking at info collected from the media, from common knowledge, by attending city meetings, and by being attentive to my surroundings. And because I have opinions about this city that maybe you don't like doesn't mean jack about my intellect, and doesn't give you the right to be a complete jackass.

Obviously you hardly must come to Milwaukee, because well, its suburbs aren't trash, rich or poor, you must not really know about communities around the city, because you still believe that the only things nice are "between the river and the lake" - take a look at the Milwaukee Suburban thread and you'll know there's a lot more going on other than more "blue collar subdivisions" being built. And don't even tempt me to go out and about and take some pictures of "blue collar" subdivisions around the area. In the US Urban Issues "Expensive Neighborhoods" thread there are plenty of homes shown throughout the Milwaukee area that are valued in the $700,000+ range that are past "the river and the lake".

Last edited by brewcityfan; February 16th, 2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #553
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

CG5 is originally from the Milwaukee area, having lived in the suburbs as well as the city itself...so he's pretty familiar with it.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #554
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

I think any growth in Milwaukee's retail scene is going to be in the middle and middle-to-upper range. Things like Design Within Reach, Anthropologie, Brooks Brothers. We're not going to see the super-high-end stuff like on 5th Avenue or Rodeo Drive. It's not that Milwaukee has extremely rich people. It does. But the city does not have the critical mass of these very rich people that it takes to make a market. Besides, when someone is wealthy enough to afford a $2 million condo, a weekend shopping trip to New York is not that big of a deal.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #555
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post

story i saw on fox 6, says its still in the planning stages
They said the developer is planning a condo with three 11 story towers on a four story base which means 15??? just watch and see the picture of the proposal, looks cool... $100 million dollar development, 220 condos & 80 room hotel ... and $1,000,000 penthouse condos

http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/...Y&pageId=4.1.1
Wow.. from the initial rendering that looks really cool. It would be nice to see that side of the river get some attention. That whole area has and is going to continue to change so much.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #556
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

I find it hard to believe that there's still such a high demand for condos in Milwaukee... how is the market not already over-saturated?
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #557
historybuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIsentinel View Post
Congradulations, you just described something that occurs in every major city in the country; this isn't something wholly native to Milwaukee.
But actually one arguement for light rail was the high-density = purchasing power of the near North Side "Inner City." The development along the North Avenue corridor with Loves, side by side other grocery stores, Magic Johnson's expressed interest all points to the $$$. How many big screen tvs are in houses on the near south side or north side? Everyone in the whole city has materialistic priorities, and if someone wants a Prada bag, or Escada dress they will save up and buy "one." Add up the ones and you have a lot potential customers in the "Inner City." Or is this Light-rail arguement dead? coy.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #558
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4277

Quote:
Can someone put some stills out? I can't get flash on my work computer.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #559
looksee

Likes (Received): 105

F.Y.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Can someone put some stills out? I can't get flash on my work computer.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #560
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

This is a very ambitious proposal, and it really is just a matter of time until this spot gets developed. These riverfront sites are attractive for residental development because they can offer condo owners private boat slips that are just a few minutes from Lake Michigan. Having a boat slip right outside your front door that lies so close to Lake Michigan is something that is probably unique to the urban Great Lakes.

But can our current condo market handle this many units? I think it can. The proximity to the river and lake will drive the sales of high end units. The lower priced units (less than $250K) is a market that has barely even been touched in Downtown/Third Ward housing.

Closed Thread