daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #561
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Is Miller thinking about acquiring Bud?

The brewing industry was shaken up this morning by unconfirmed reports about potential mergers between some of its biggest players, including Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. and SABMiller PLC, the parent company of Miller Brewing Co. Valor Economico, a local daily business publication in Sao Paulo, Brazil, first reported that Belgian brewer InBev N.V., the world's third-largest brewer, was in preliminary talks to acquire St. Louis, Mo.-based Anheuser-Busch, which brews Budweiser.

According to the report, strong sales in China have propelled InBev to grow to a market value of $40.7 billion, while Anheuser-Busch's market value is estimated at $38.6 billion.

In almost a throw-away line, the newspaper also reported that London-based SABMiller also has an interest in acquiring Anheuser-Busch.

The story cited sources "close to the top," although company spokesmen declined to comment about the report.
The Miller aspect of the story was first picked up locally by AM-620 WTMJ. The newspaper's Web site, which is in Portuguese, is www.valoronline.com.br. An English wire account of the story is available at www.smartmoney.com.

Last edited by exit_320; February 16th, 2007 at 10:47 PM.
exit_320 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #562
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
But actually one arguement for light rail was the high-density = purchasing power of the near North Side "Inner City." The development along the North Avenue corridor with Loves, side by side other grocery stores, Magic Johnson's expressed interest all points to the $$$. How many big screen tvs are in houses on the near south side or north side? Everyone in the whole city has materialistic priorities, and if someone wants a Prada bag, or Escada dress they will save up and buy "one." Add up the ones and you have a lot potential customers in the "Inner City." Or is this Light-rail arguement dead? coy.
Huh? I really don't understand what you're getting at. You understand the difference in prices between a $500 bag and a $2 bottle of booze, right? The majority of people in all of Milwaukee's inner city (assuming we're not talking Downtown, Walker's Point, and the East Side) couldn't come close to affording a big screen tv or escada dress. The majority of them don't make enough to easily afford normal ones. Anyone who believes all that ghetto gangsta shit is an idiot.

The argument as I understood it was that there were a lot of potential workers in these areas that would more easily be able to get to work with light rail and that consumers in the wealthier areas of the city would be able to ride it to stores that would spring up downtown at the center of the system.

Putting debating whether or not Milwaukee should have Prada in the context of the reality of the city is not insulting. This city has got inequality and segregation issues worse than you would find in some 3rd world countries. I'm just trying to point out that some people here have trouble understanding that. They drive through the innner city on the way to their house in the suburbs and somehow make themselves believe that it's some sort of stage act and that people don't really live like that.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #563
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

mayor's transit plan:

http://www.mkedcd.org/ebulletin/transit/

Last edited by MilwaukeeD; February 17th, 2007 at 12:34 AM.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #564
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Transit Plan

does his plan propose light rail for the dowtown circulator and high speed busses for the COMET plan. if someone could explain that?? If the downtown plan is for light rail that's good because it will be a start, and can always be expanded!

also...
i found a website that says milwaukee is the 8th healthiest us city ... http://www.slashfood.com/2007/01/04/...ies-in-the-us/
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #565
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

the downtown circulator would be a on a rail.

the COMET would be high-end vehicles that resemble light-rail vehicles, just with no track.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #566
KDS

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
But actually one arguement for light rail was the high-density = purchasing power of the near North Side "Inner City." The development along the North Avenue corridor with Loves, side by side other grocery stores, Magic Johnson's expressed interest all points to the $$$. How many big screen tvs are in houses on the near south side or north side? Everyone in the whole city has materialistic priorities, and if someone wants a Prada bag, or Escada dress they will save up and buy "one." Add up the ones and you have a lot potential customers in the "Inner City." Or is this Light-rail arguement dead? coy.
Just because there is high density, and thereby on a macro level, a large concentration of dollars, does not mean there is a high level of purchasing power per capita. Per capita is all that matters, people can't buy half a prada bag, 1/2a housewares set from C&B, 1/4 of a flat screen tv etc.
KDS no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #567
KDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
I find it hard to believe that there's still such a high demand for condos in Milwaukee... how is the market not already over-saturated?
Because more than people want to admit, these are being sold to Chicagoans. So I guess that means we should cut the estimated year round population base that is being "developed" in downtown Milwaukee by at least a 1/3 and, going forward, probably upwards of 1/2, since people from Chicago won't be living here year round. So on top of having all of our tourist attractions scattered throughout downtown Milwaukee and the Menomonee Valley, (destroying the ability of commerical enterprises/national retailers to be able to count on millions of annual visitors being within walking distance of their potential establishment) we now should realistically reduce the estimated number of year round downtown residents by 33-50%. But we still have thousands of poor minorities living immediately northwest of the cbd. That should be more than enough to support the prada and gucci stores.
KDS no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #568
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Huh? I really don't understand what you're getting at. You understand the difference in prices between a $500 bag and a $2 bottle of booze, right? The majority of people in all of Milwaukee's inner city (assuming we're not talking Downtown, Walker's Point, and the East Side) couldn't come close to affording a big screen tv or escada dress. The majority of them don't make enough to easily afford normal ones. Anyone who believes all that ghetto gangsta shit is an idiot.

The argument as I understood it was that there were a lot of potential workers in these areas that would more easily be able to get to work with light rail and that consumers in the wealthier areas of the city would be able to ride it to stores that would spring up downtown at the center of the system.

Putting debating whether or not Milwaukee should have Prada in the context of the reality of the city is not insulting. This city has got inequality and segregation issues worse than you would find in some 3rd world countries. I'm just trying to point out that some people here have trouble understanding that. They drive through the innner city on the way to their house in the suburbs and somehow make themselves believe that it's some sort of stage act and that people don't really live like that.
You're right - people in the inner city, which I'd classify as the north and side side cores (areas around Becher, Lincoln, Lapham, Greenfield, National Aves and from I-43 to about 38th St on the South and Vilet, North, Burleigh, Keefe, Capitol, Hampton Aves and from anywhere the river is to about 65th St. in some places to the North) couldn't be able to probably afford higher end TVs, Prada purses, etc, etc...and yes Milwaukee is very segregated and has a ton of issues concerning that, but there is still a lot more people to the city of Milwaukee than just those 2 areas that CAN afford and would want higher end things for themselves or their home, in a practical manner (HDTV comes before a Prada purse for example)

We do have tons of workers in the entire area that would probably use the rail system to get places. Yes, the majority would be those who don't own cars but there are will be others in the future when it expands even bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
I think any growth in Milwaukee's retail scene is going to be in the middle and middle-to-upper range. Things like Design Within Reach, Anthropologie, Brooks Brothers. We're not going to see the super-high-end stuff like on 5th Avenue or Rodeo Drive. It's not that Milwaukee has extremely rich people. It does. But the city does not have the critical mass of these very rich people that it takes to make a market. Besides, when someone is wealthy enough to afford a $2 million condo, a weekend shopping trip to New York is not that big of a deal.
Maybe Milwaukee won't have a Rodeo Drive or Fifth Avenue, but that doesn't prevent it from having some higher end retailers in the city. As I've said, with the condo boom and higher end subdivisions being built in the suburbs, something will happen. For example, Von Maur "the Nordstrom of the Midwest" is trying to find locations in the Milwaukee area to locate department stores.

Oh, and rich people can fly to New York or LA all they want, if they wanna piss out money - but usually rich people tend to be a little more wiser with their funds, and if their local economy has the same or similar stores that NY or LA or Chicago would have, I'm sure they'd just stay here instead of blowing money on flights every time they need an outfit. Not all rich people are like Paris Hilton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
This is a very ambitious proposal, and it really is just a matter of time until this spot gets developed. These riverfront sites are attractive for residental development because they can offer condo owners private boat slips that are just a few minutes from Lake Michigan. Having a boat slip right outside your front door that lies so close to Lake Michigan is something that is probably unique to the urban Great Lakes.

But can our current condo market handle this many units? I think it can. The proximity to the river and lake will drive the sales of high end units. The lower priced units (less than $250K) is a market that has barely even been touched in Downtown/Third Ward housing.
I completely agree with you with this condo proposal and its desirability. The Milwaukee condo market I don't think is that bad off at this time, and I could see more proposals in Walkers Point in the near future if this gets approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
The only thing that frustrates me is, it's a good plan, I like the COMET idea a lot! The little downtown thing with the rail, I don't know I have my reservations on that, and it frustrates me that the downtown circulator would basically get the rest of the funds that could have went for the KRM line, which was mentioned but no funds were allocated to it under his plan, NONE.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #569
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
it frustrates me that the downtown circulator would basically get the rest of the funds that could have went for the KRM line, which was mentioned but no funds were allocated to it under his plan, NONE.
The KRM line is not included in Barrett's transit plan because it assumes the KRM plan would use it's own already-proposed funding sources (the car rental fee, the money already appropriated from Congress, the additional Federal money the KRM will be asking for in the future).

Barrett's plan addresses some of the issues that the RTA has been ignoring when it comes to the local city-based transit system.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #570
brewcityfan

Wasn't the money appropriated from Congress the 91.5 million Barrett is using??
Old February 17th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #571
Markitect

There are, to date, two chunks of money already earmarked to be used on transit projects in the area:

$91.5 million of Federally appropriated money which would be used to help pay for part of Barrett's COMET/Circulator proposal.

$80 million of Federally appropriated money which would be used to help pay for part of the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Transit Authority's proposed KRM commuter rail proposal.

Barrett's plan, however, still fails to address the greater issue of how to prevent MCTS from continuing on its downward spiral due to continuing budget cuts, decreased services, and increased fares.

Last edited by Markitect; February 17th, 2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #572
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Yeah, the plan was kinda interesting. I think the money (at least the local share) he suggests using for the Downtown Circulator (which was actually proposed by Ald. Bauman not Barrett) would be better spent as a stabile funding source for MCTS. Then again, we could just decide to pay for both...

Where's the actual plan? I doubt that Barrett would spend all of that time thinking up a fancy acronym (Isn't "COMET" clever? Did anyone else enjoy it as much as I did?) without actually drawing up a plan. I was searching the city website today and couldn't find anything besides what was posted.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #573
CG5
prickly

^ It wouldn't be the first time that Barrett focused entirely on the superficial elements of a plan. He's a bit of a populist twit.

I have a question: why the rail loop downtown? Does this mean that riders will have to take the COMET busses into the CBD and then unboard the busses to get on the mini-train? Don't get me wrong--this is progress, for sure. But I've been to Detroit, I've seen the Peoplemover, and I can say, without a doubt, that that is not the kind of "progress" Milwaukee needs.
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #574
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Photo Update: February 18, 2007

Manpower Corporate Headquarters:

Old February 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #575
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

so plain .........for a fortune 500 company.......
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #576
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
I have a question: why the rail loop downtown? Does this mean that riders will have to take the COMET busses into the CBD and then unboard the busses to get on the mini-train?
No. The express COMET buses would run through Downtown, with a few selected stops of course. You'd only transfer to a streetcar if you wanted to ride a streetcar to your final destination within Downtown (likewise for transfers to regular buses).

Quote:
Don't get me wrong--this is progress, for sure. But I've been to Detroit, I've seen the Peoplemover, and I can say, without a doubt, that that is not the kind of "progress" Milwaukee needs.
Yeah, it's a very short-sighted plan that ignores more pressing transit concerns (the erosion of MCTS).

Last edited by Markitect; February 18th, 2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #577
CG5
prickly

So then it is, once again, Barrett being his uesless old self? Way to waste federal money on a completely ineffectual tourist-tram, you buffoon.
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #578
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
so plain .........for a fortune 500 company.......
No kidding, right? And I was even trying to make it look good!

Old February 19th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #579
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
Way to waste federal money on a completely ineffectual tourist-tram
It should also be pointed out, that simply pouring the $91.5 million in Federal money into MCTS isn't quite an ideal solution either, because all that would do is create a one-time surge in funding.

What needs to happen instead, is to take MCTS off of the County's property taxes, where it currently competes for tax dollars against the court system, the Sheriff's Department, the parks, the County Dept. of Public Works, social services, and a whole bunch of other things. Due to the rising costs in some of those other areas things like the bus system keep getting a smaller slice of the pie each time a new County budget is worked up.

What needs to happen instead, is a dedicated, isolated source of funding for transit that does not compete with anything else and cannot be used for anything else but transit. That is where the [rejected] idea for a transit sales tax came from. It is a source of funding for transit that is used among several transit authorities around the country..often with multiple modes of transit. So many other places around the country "get it" but the Milwaukee area does not.
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #580
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
It should also be pointed out, that simply pouring the $91.5 million in Federal money into MCTS isn't quite an ideal solution either, because all that would do is create a one-time surge in funding.
Well I wouldn't say all 91.5 million, because the COMET funding I'd be supportive of. But the circulator "tourist tram" as some like to call it, the other basically half of the 91.5 mil, is IMO a true waste of federal funds. That money could be thrown to the MCTS to assist, not resolve, its problems.

Closed Thread