daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #41
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
Some east side reswident don't want a proposed 11 story condo...
Gokhman high-rise rankles neighbors
Developer plans 11-story condo on Downer Avenue
New Land Enterprises' $65 million plan to build an 11-story condominium tower and create 50,000 square feet of medical offices in Milwaukee's North Downer Avenue neighborhood is rankling homeowners. .....www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2006/12/25/story3.html?page=1&b=1167022800^1394121"
"This article is for Paid Print Subscribers ONLY."
D-res no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #42
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

A few shots I took this weekend. No big, fancy skyline shots, sorry--didn't have the time or the weather.

Can anyone give me a name and short history on this old factory?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #43
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

hydrogen, those pictures are freaking AWESOME. The first one looks like something straight out of New Orleans (although I've never been there) and the second one is my favorite picture I've ever seen of the marsupial bridge. YES!!

I'm not sure where that factory is... Is it the Coke and Gas factory in the fifth ward?
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #44
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
hydrogen, those pictures are freaking AWESOME. The first one looks like something straight out of New Orleans (although I've never been there) and the second one is my favorite picture I've ever seen of the marsupial bridge. YES!!

I'm not sure where that factory is... Is it the Coke and Gas factory in the fifth ward?
Thanks a lot, Mark. I was staying with a few friends who live on Pearson and stumbled out of their place Saturday afternoon hungover but intrigued by my surroundings. That marsupial bridge is cool. I had my first chance to soak up all of those new condos right on the river. I spent a lot of time driving around Milwaukee, actually. And I'm so impressed with the way the city is tightening up its loose ends in terms of urban continuity. So many new condos going up it's crazy.
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #45
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post

Can anyone give me a name and short history on this old factory?
National Warehouse...note the faded name painted on the bricks at the top of the building.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #46
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

That 1st pic is awesome, one of Milwaukee st which is quickly becoming Milwaukee's hottest nightclub block. My first night home from college I drove through downtown and this block was jumping, despite the 40 degree weather. Dwyane Wade through a party at tangerine, on this block, a few weeks ago. On this single block, two new restaurants in the last year, a new nightclub, hotel metro, tangerine, cubanitas, etc, this is got to be the hottest nightlife block in the city.

Last edited by Fiddlerontheruf; December 26th, 2006 at 07:06 AM.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #47
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
National Warehouse...note the faded name painted on the bricks at the top of the building.
I did see the name in paint, but wondered if the name had since changed. Do you know anything in terms of what it was used for?
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #48
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen
Do you know anything in terms of what it was used for?
A warehouse.
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #49
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

JS article on parks...

Study urges higher park fees

Milwaukee County's cash-starved park system charges user fees that are significantly lower than those collected by many parks and recreation departments in Wisconsin and around the country, according to a new study.

Pool fees are far below market prices, athletic teams are allowed unlimited use for a flat fee, and premier park settings on the lake and downtown are given over to major special events but generate too little revenue, the study says.

rest of article: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=545625
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #50
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Downtown office market softens

Boston-based Colliers International’s third quarter report indicates what many Milwaukee office space brokers have been reporting anecdotally: the downtown Milwaukee office market is soft. According to the Colliers International report, the downtown office vacancy rate increased from 11.8 percent in the second quarter to 18.4 percent in the third quarter.

The move of Blue Cross Blue Shield’s offices from downtown Milwaukee to Summit Place in West Allis, may have contributed to the large drop in downtown’s office vacancy rate in the report.

For class A downtown office space, the vacancy rate increased from 10.6 percent in the second quarter to 12.9 percent in the third quarter, according to the Colliers report.

The region’s office space as a whole fared better, with the vacancy rate dipping a bit from 11.4 percent in the second quarter, to 10.6 percent in the third quarter, according to the report.

The Milwaukee region’s total office space vacancy was lower than the national average, and the downtown class A vacancy rate was only slightly higher than the national average. The nation’s office vacancy rate was 13.3 percent in the third quarter, and the nation’s downtown class A office space vacancy rate was 11.2 percent, according to the report.

For industrial space, the Milwaukee area had a 7.6 percent vacancy rate in the third quarter, up a tad from the 7.5 percent vacancy rate in the second quarter, according to the report. The national industrial space vacancy rate was 8.24 percent in the third quarter, according to the report.

“Milwaukee is still holding its own with regard to vacancy and lease rates,” said James T. Barry III, president and chief executive officer of Colliers Barry, the Milwaukee affiliate of Colliers International. “We believe that the Milwaukee market will continue to improve steadily relative to other markets due to the fact that we have very little oversupply and very little speculative product in either industrial or office real estate markets. In addition, as land and construction costs continue to rise, lease rates and sale prices will strengthen, while vacancy rates should stay in check. In sum, we have relatively healthy industrial and office real estate markets in southeastern Wisconsin that should see steady improvement.”

--------

Let's hope things improve once the mchange is completed
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #51
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeBS View Post
JS article on parks...

Study urges higher park fees

Milwaukee County's cash-starved park system charges user fees that are significantly lower than those collected by many parks and recreation departments in Wisconsin and around the country, according to a new study.

Pool fees are far below market prices, athletic teams are allowed unlimited use for a flat fee, and premier park settings on the lake and downtown are given over to major special events but generate too little revenue, the study says.

rest of article: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=545625
Isn't the idea of the park system to provide access for everyone, regardless of income? Shouldn't it therefor be cheap (or even free) to use the parks and swimming pools, etc. to ensure everyone has access to them?

On a different note:

Does anyone know what's happening with the proposed High Speed Rail to Madison? I was looking at the Midwest HSR Initative website and it said that the stretch from Chicago to Madison via Milwaukee was under construction but I've never heard anything else about it.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #52
exit_320

re: HSR

I've never heard of anything regarding construction or progress... As far as I know it's just wishful thinking.
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #53
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-københavn View Post
Does anyone know what's happening with the proposed High Speed Rail to Madison?
There's no money, so nothing is happening with rail of any speed to Madison right now other than studies for the proposal.

Quote:
I was looking at the Midwest HSR Initative website and it said that the stretch from Chicago to Madison via Milwaukee was under construction but I've never heard anything else about it.
Nope; you've been misinformed.
Old December 28th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #54
UWMilwaukeeJay

On a positive note: the MILWAUKEE bucks won 5 straight. going for 6 tonight @ memphis.

Edit: 112-96 win brings the winning streak to 6.

Last edited by UWMilwaukeeJay; December 28th, 2006 at 05:58 AM.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old December 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #55
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Sure, that's awesome but they're still in last place in the division...

Edit: I don't mean to sound like a pessimist... just putting the winning streak into perspective.

Last edited by MilwaukeeMark; December 28th, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
MilwaukeeMark no está en línea  
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #56
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Here's a new one!

Old December 28th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #57
Green Bay 4 Life
Green Bay, WI

Likes (Received): 90

Wow, very nicely done.
Green Bay 4 Life no está en línea  
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #58
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Sweet-ass pic Mark! I wish the Northwestern building had its lights on year-round.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #59
exit_320

Here's an entertaining list found online.. I found it amusing.

Mattel recently announced the release of Limited-Edition Barbie dolls for the Milwaukee market:

Galleria Barbie:
This princess Barbie is only sold in Elm Grove. She comes with an assortment of Kate Spade handbags, a Lexus SUV, a longhaired foreign dog named Honey, and a cookie-cutter house. Available with or without tummy tuck and face lift. Note: Workaholic Ken sold only in conjunction with "augmented" version.

Brookfield Barbie:
This modern-day homemaker Barbie is available with Ford Windstar minivan and matching velour gym outfit. She gets lost easily and has no full time occupation or secondary education. Traffic-jamming cell phone sold separately.

Marquette Barbie:
This recently paroled Barbie comes with a 9 mm handgun, a Chevy with dark tinted windows, and a meth lab kit. This model is only available after dark and can only be paid for in cash, preferably small, untraceable bills, unless you are a cop, then we don't know what the hell you are talking about.

The Oak Creek Barbie:
This yuppie Barbie comes with your choice of BMW convertible or Hummer H2. Included is her own Starbucks cup, credit card, and country club membership. Also available for this set are Shallow Ken and Private School Skipper. You won't be able to afford any of them.

UWM Barbie:
Short, highly tanned and ready to land a husband, we mean get an education. Comes with standard issue shorts with "UWM" printed largely on the butt. Also comes wearing latest "themed" sorority party T-shirt, hair in pony tail and a gaggle of similar looking friends, each carrying the latest in "knock off" Kate Spade bags. Honda Civic, undecided major and drunken
backward hat Frat Ken sold separately.

West Allis Barbie:
This pale model comes dressed in her own Wrangler jeans two sizes too small, a NASCAR shirt, and Tweety Bird tattoo on her shoulder. She has a six-pack of Coors Light and a Hank Williams, Jr. CD set. She can spit over 5 feet and kick mullet-haired Ken's butt when she is drunk. Purchase her pickup truck separately and get a confederate flag bumper sticker absolutely free.

River Hills Barbie:
This collagen injected, rhino-plastic Barbie wears a leopard print spandex outfit and drinks cosmopolitans while entertaining friends on her boat. Percocet prescription available.

South Milwaukee Barbie:
This tobacco chewing, brassy-haired Barbie has a pair of her own high-heeled sandals with one broken heel from the time she chased Beer-Gut Ken out of Cudahy Barbie's (discontinued) house. Her ensemble includes low-rise acid-washed jeans, fake fingernails, and a see-through halter-top. Also available with a mobile home.

Riverwest Barbie:
This slacker Barbie looks an awful lot like Brookfield Barbie without a shower. Comes with a pack of clove cigarettes and a sixer of PBR. There are accessory packages with various assortments of body piercings and tattoos available, but they must be purchased separately because, like, she doesn't have a job.

Bayview Barbie:
This doll is made of actual tofu. She has long straight faded blue hair, archless feet, hairy armpits, no makeup, and Birkenstocks with white socks. She prefers that you call her "Willow." She does not want or need a Ken doll, but if you purchase two Bayview Barbies, and the optional Subaru wagon, you get a rainbow flag sticker for free.

Northside Barbie:
This Barbie now comes with a stroller and infant doll. Optional accessories include a GED and bus pass. Gangsta Ken and his '79 Caddy were available, but are now very difficult to find since the addition of the infant.

Southside Barbie:
This Spanish-speaking-only Barbie comes with a 1984 Toyota with expired temporary plates and three baby Skippers in the back seat, but no car seats. The optional Ken doll comes with a cowboy hat, shovel and work gloves. Ken comes with his own 1979 Ford pickup with a Telemundo bumper sticker, tinted windows, and Our Lady of Guadalupe rear window stickers. Truck is painted primer gray, but wheels and rims are not available. Comes with cement blocks. Green cards are not available for Southside Barbie! or Ken.

East Side Barbie/ Ken:
This versatile doll can be easily converted from Barbie to Ken by simply adding or subtracting the multiple "snap-on" parts.
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #60
djcody

Wow, that is awesome how u captured those colors in that pic. GREAT JOB!

Closed Thread