daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 19th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #581
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

The thing is that $45 million would still just be a band aid since when the funds dry up, we'll be back in the same position. It's the same thing with Doyle's $80 million to Milwaukee. $80 million is enough to create the image of doing something but not actually get much done. $800 million would start to do things... Milwaukee needs to decide that it wants to change before anything will really improve. That change will mean something along the lines of Milwaukeeans investing $800 million and it'll hurt for a while. The thing is, though, that after it hurts for a while, things could actually improve. Jobs could be created, healthcare could be equally distributed, transit could work like it works in cities like San Fransisco (where it's a viable option to not own a car), the parks will have flowers and mowed grass, the police will finally be able to control crime and MPS will have a graduation rate above 60%. People might acually move back to the city, too.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #582
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Sorry about the rant. It's easy to get kinda off topic.
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #583
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Thought you guys would like to know that we finally changed the front page pictures on Emporis for Milwaukee.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/?id=101324
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #584
looksee

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Manpower Corporate Headquarters:

Based on the renderings, I think I once characterized this project as unfit for a junior college.
That may have been too generous; trucking terminal warehouse now seems more like it. I especially admire the "varied" window treatment. That must have been one simple beginners computer program they used to aid in coming up with that.
Maybe some landscaping magic will be able to elevate this thing.
(I hope at least the interior environment will be enjoyable for the folks who have to work there.)
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #585
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Based on the renderings, I think I once characterized this project as unfit for a junior college.
That may have been too generous; trucking terminal warehouse now seems more like it. I especially admire the "varied" window treatment. That must have been one simple beginners computer program they used to aid in coming up with that.
Maybe some landscaping magic will be able to elevate this thing.
(I hope at least the interior environment will be enjoyable for the folks who have to work there.)
Haha. Well, at least they have one hell of a view.
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #586
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
Well I wouldn't say all 91.5 million, because the COMET funding I'd be supportive of. But the circulator "tourist tram" as some like to call it, the other basically half of the 91.5 mil, is IMO a true waste of federal funds.
$91.5 million, $45 million, $1 million $1...it doesn't matter, all that would do is create a one-time surge in funding. A "band-aid" as described by others, won't do any good. The whole transit funding mechanism needs to be reworked in order to stop the bleeding. Neither the COMET, nor the Downtown Circulator, are going to do that.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #587
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

i like the COMET idea of barrett's plan, but the circulator sounds like a bad attempt at light rail. Id like to see something happen like that but i dont think electric streetcars are the answer........ As for the MCTS. in an unpopular move, i think its going to take a sales tax to keep buses on the street or else thousands of workers will be stranded waiting for the bus to make its once a day trip to thier bus stop.
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #588
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

It is just amazingly horrendous to think that building is going to be the corporate world headquarters of a Fortune 500 corporation. What an aesthetic design disaster. I can't believe that management approved of such an ugly building that will represent Manpower's home for decades to come. Ugh!
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #589
miltown
urban informant

u can bring the company out of the suburbs...., u can't bring the suburbs out of the company....
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #590
MilwaukeeD

i'm not really sure that it is the mayor's responsibility to come up with a plan to bail out the county's problems. they probably wouldn't listen to him anyway. while i agree that finding a way to fund mcts is vital, i don't think that is really the mayor's territory. he has absolutely no control over it. i definitely think that he should support ideas to help fund the mcts is they are presented to him, but i don't think they need to come from him. that's what we have a county executive for.

while the downtown circulator does run the risk of becoming a detriot peoplemover, i think it has several advantages. i don't think that it is just a tourist tram. here are a few examples of when people would use it.
- you took the amtrak up from chicago...you want to get somewhere downtown. most things aren't a pleasant walk from there. this could get you to your hotel, summerfest, mam, etc.
- you work in the third ward and want to catch a buck's game after work. instead of moving your car (presuming your drove) and parking in an expensive ramp by the bradley center, you simply take the circulator there and back.
- you work at manpower and want to go to jefferson/milwaukee street for lunch.
- you live in the yankee hill area and want to go to grand avenue for some shopping.
- you live in the third ward and want to run up to metro market for groceries.
- you live in the suburbs and are on your way down to a festival. you could park much further away from the grounds for much cheaper (near the bradley center, for example) and not have that excruciating walk back to your car at the end of the night.

on top of trips like that, there would obviously be the tourist market and the circulator would help make downtown that much easier for them to navigate. and, they would get to see a lot more of downtown than they might have otherwise. this also connects the mam/discovery world with the public museum. it connects the convention center to the public market.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #591
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Ya know, in a way, I don't have a problem wasting $45 mil on a useless downtown streetcar where the possible uses all start with "supposing you drive, you could park and take the streetcar to...". As long as they use those Skoda trams, it might be nice enough to look at that it wouldn't matter to me where it went. Plus, anything that fills empty streets downtown is a good thing.
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #592
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
u can bring the company out of the suburbs...., u can't bring the suburbs out of the company....
Actually there are plenty of suburban buildings that look 100x better than that warehouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
i'm not really sure that it is the mayor's responsibility to come up with a plan to bail out the county's problems. they probably wouldn't listen to him anyway. while i agree that finding a way to fund mcts is vital, i don't think that is really the mayor's territory. he has absolutely no control over it. i definitely think that he should support ideas to help fund the mcts is they are presented to him, but i don't think they need to come from him. that's what we have a county executive for.

while the downtown circulator does run the risk of becoming a detriot peoplemover, i think it has several advantages. i don't think that it is just a tourist tram. here are a few examples of when people would use it.
- you took the amtrak up from chicago...you want to get somewhere downtown. most things aren't a pleasant walk from there. this could get you to your hotel, summerfest, mam, etc.
- you work in the third ward and want to catch a buck's game after work. instead of moving your car (presuming your drove) and parking in an expensive ramp by the bradley center, you simply take the circulator there and back.
- you work at manpower and want to go to jefferson/milwaukee street for lunch.
- you live in the yankee hill area and want to go to grand avenue for some shopping.
- you live in the third ward and want to run up to metro market for groceries.
- you live in the suburbs and are on your way down to a festival. you could park much further away from the grounds for much cheaper (near the bradley center, for example) and not have that excruciating walk back to your car at the end of the night.

on top of trips like that, there would obviously be the tourist market and the circulator would help make downtown that much easier for them to navigate. and, they would get to see a lot more of downtown than they might have otherwise. this also connects the mam/discovery world with the public museum. it connects the convention center to the public market.
Good point about the MCTS - it shouldn't be the mayor's problem to solve, or to even bother looking at. But when you have a County Exec that quite frankly just let's things fall apart and doesn't care because well ya know the budget is just not there and taxes just can't be an option, there needs to be an authority willing to stand up and say "hey enough is enough!" MCTS is only one problem of this whole situation. What about the Park System? The beaches? The failing mental health complex? The list goes on and on and nothing will be done with Mr. Walker in office.

Concerning the circulator - you'd be a great promoter! I still think it's a waste of money at this time, but if/when it does go into place it would be a decent system, and your points do make sense especially with the condo boom and increasing business downtown. Just why now??
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #593
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD
That's kind of a cop-out, though. Considering a majority of MCTS riders come from the city over which the mayor is supposed to have leadership...he most certainly should be more vocal about the situation. It should be expected, really. That doesn't mean he has to come up with ideas all on his own; nor does it mean other area leaders should be exempt from the process.

The whole territorial, individual municipal boundary, geopolitical nonsense is part of the reason why the transit situation in Southeastern Wisconsin is in the poor shape that it's in.

Last edited by Markitect; February 19th, 2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #594
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Being vocal, that's fine with me. But being blamed for a transit situation? Unfortunately since he's pretty much the top guy that everybody knows about people will blame him. I don't honestly think many people realize how much power the County Exec has with certain issues. Which brings up another question: Did Walker come up with a plan/idea concerning this MCTS situation? Or did he just decide to say no to other peoples' ideas??

Obviously things won't change in the county unless we get a new exec.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #595
Markitect

Quote:
Being vocal, that's fine with me. But being blamed for a transit situation?
You've misunderstood. I'm not blaming the mayor for the situation that the transit system is in. I am, however, criticizing that the mayor and other leaders because they really have not stepped up and looked into a better arrangement for the RTA and transit funding, construction, operations, and management for the region.

It's time for our leaders to get their acts together, and stop squawking about which municipalities should be responsible for which transit modes or routes and who's territory they run through, and proposing all sorts of different funding ideas for different things. This is a no-brainer. Let's put everything all under one umbrella, and have one group of selected people in charge of the whole thing. Again, they should be looking into how other RTAs around the country have been set up.

Quote:
I don't honestly think many people realize how much power the County Exec has with certain issues. Which brings up another question: Did Walker come up with a plan/idea concerning this MCTS situation? Or did he just decide to say no to other peoples' ideas??
Actually, Walker has made a suggestion regarding transit funding. There is an existing tax on auto-related purchases, the money generated from which currently goes into the State's general fund. Walker has said he would like to see that money directed instead toward transit.

Last edited by Markitect; February 19th, 2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #596
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Milwaukee beckons
Take wing with Calatrava's addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum and enjoy the Bacon exhibit

February 18, 2007
BY KEVIN NANCE Art and Architecture Critic

MILWAUKEE -- You've heard people rave about it, you've seen the tempting pictures of it, you've been meaning to visit it forever. But even though the Milwaukee Art Museum is just 90 minutes away -- fewer if you have a heavy foot on the gas -- you've haven't made the trip to see Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava's amazing birdlike structure on the upper shores of Lake Michigan.

Now is a terrific time to get off your duff. You might not think so, given the cold weather and all. But on a recent visit with six inches of snow on the ground, it struck me that the building, which perches on the shoreline like a giant seagull, seems even more alive and thrillingly animated in winter. As actual seagulls careened in a brilliant blue sky above the water, the building seemed to be gathering itself to join them.

There are two other important reasons why the time to visit the museum is now. One is that for the past year or so, Chicagoans have been hearing Calatrava's name with increasing frequency in connection with another building -- the twisting Chicago Spire, which would be the tallest building in the nation -- planned for our own lakefront. Since the architect proposes to make his work so aggressively visible in our midst, it behooves us to educate ourselves firsthand about where he's coming from. His museum addition in Milwaukee -- his first project in the United States, completed in 2001 -- is a great place to start.

Soaring poetry
It's a marvelous marriage of engineering and poetry. The Quadracci Pavilion, as it's called, features a 90-foot-high glass-walled reception room called Windhover Hall beneath the enthe Burke Brise Soleil, an ingenious sunscreen that can be raised or lowered, its soaring ribs letting in sunlight and suggesting a futuristic cathedral.

Some critics have argued that the drama of the hall is a wasted gesture, since it functions largely as a ceremonial space. That's a lot of hooey. It's a magnificent, heart-filling stage for viewing the lake -- don't knock it till you've tried it -- and holding meetings. (The day I was there, a group of high school artists were having their work presented and they couldn't have looked more honored.)

The other reason to visit the museum now is it's currently hosting one of its most exciting temporary exhibitions, "Francis Bacon: Paintings from the 1950s," which continues through April 15. (See my review in today's Sunday Show.) This great 20th century British painter's work is undoubtedly bizarre and, depending on your point of view, disturbing -- it features his famous "Screaming Pope" series, perhaps not the cheeriest artworks you'll ever see -- but there's no denying his extraordinary uniqueness of vision and his fascinating technique.

Chicago connection
Chicagoans also will want to peruse the museum's permanent collection, especially its surprisingly strong showing of contemporary art that features an entire room of Chicago painters, including Ed Paschke, Jim Nutt and Roger Brown. There are also terrific pieces by Gerhard Richter, Anselm Kiefer, Magdalena Abakanowicz (in the local spotlight recently thanks to "Agora," her new sculpture installation in Grant Park) and others.

Once you've tired yourself out gawking at the art and the building itself, you should definitely pop downstairs to the Calatrava Cafe (who knew the guy could cook, too?), which offers more gorgeous views of the lake and some pretty tasty cuisine, including a hearty bowl of hot corn chowder that makes the snow outside seem powerless to chill.

On your way out (or in), you should also check out the museum's next-door neighbor, Discovery World, one of the country's best museums aimed at children and teens. It's full of interactive, hands-on exhibits, including fresh- and salt-water aquariums, digital theaters and more. The same complex also includes an Imax theater and the Milwaukee Public Museum, which features a glass-enclosed butterfly garden and a 36-foot-long humpback whale skeleton.

Calatrava, Francis Bacon, butterflies and a humpback whale, all in one visit? Talk about something for everyone.

[email protected]

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/t...ukee18.article

© Copyright 2007 Sun-Times News Group
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #597
downtownVital.org
You can call me Dan

Likes (Received): 4

I'm a really big believer that the best government is that closest to the people, but it seems to me that at some point the state has to step in and take authority over situations like these, whether that's via direct state control or via a regional authority who's power comes from the state and not the municipalities.

I see parallels between the Milwaukee metro transit situation and what's happend up here with access to water. Green Bay needed to build a new water pipeline, and the suburbs needed new access to Lake water, but becuase the city and the 'burbs couldn't get along, the 'burbs (actually about 2/3s of them) are spending (wasting) like $100 million to build a pipeline to MANITOWOC to buy water from them instead of Green Bay.

My point is that county/regional governance can be hampered when the suburban leaders know they will be voted out if they spend suburban money on something that's perceived as helping the city, and vise-versa. I can't see the Milwaukee metro municipalities ever playing nice on transit unless there is one regional authority who has the power to act on behalf of the entire metro and raise the funds necessary to do so. That power has to come from the state government, otherwise you end up with poor/wasteful decisions like we've had up here with water.

http://www.downtownvital.org

Last edited by downtownVital.org; February 19th, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
downtownVital.org no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #598
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
On your way out (or in), you should also check out the museum's next-door neighbor, Discovery World, one of the country's best museums aimed at children and teens. It's full of interactive, hands-on exhibits, including fresh- and salt-water aquariums, digital theaters and more. The same complex also includes an Imax theater and the Milwaukee Public Museum, which features a glass-enclosed butterfly garden and a 36-foot-long humpback whale skeleton.

Calatrava, Francis Bacon, butterflies and a humpback whale, all in one visit? Talk about something for everyone.
It would be nice if author actually went to the place to do research instead of relying on other outdated sources considering the IMAX and the Milwaukee Public Museum are a mile away and that discovery USED to be part of the MPM
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #599
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownVital.org View Post
I'm a really big believer that the best government is that closest to the people, but it seems to me that at some point the state has to step in and take authority over situations like these, whether that's via direct state control or via a regional authority who's power comes from the state and not the municipalities.

I see parallels between the Milwaukee metro transit situation and what's happend up here with access to water. Green Bay needed to build a new water pipeline, and the suburbs needed new access to Lake water, but becuase the city and the 'burbs couldn't get along, the 'burbs (actually about 2/3s of them) are spending (wasting) like $100 million to build a pipeline to MANITOWOC to buy water from them instead of Green Bay.

My point is that county/regional governance can be hampered when the suburban leaders know they will be voted out if they spend suburban money on something that's perceived as helping the city, and vise-versa. I can't see the Milwaukee metro municipalities ever playing nice on transit unless there is one regional authority who has the power to act on behalf of the entire metro and raise the funds necessary to do so. That power has to come from the state government, otherwise you end up with poor/wasteful decisions like we've had up here with water.
as long as the regional authority is not like SEWRPC, where each county gets three representatives. it MUST be population based.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #600
miltown
urban informant

Iroquois tour boat operator expands
The Business Journal of Milwaukee

Milwaukee Boat Line L.L.C., the owner of the Iroquois tour boat, said Friday that it has expanded its offerings with the purchase of a 150-passenger luxury yacht to serve as a second charter vessel.

Milwaukee Boat, which bought the tour and event boat Iroquois last year, said its new yacht, called the Voyageur, will accommodate large groups for travel on the Milwaukee River and Lake Michigan.

The company did not disclose a purchase price for the new yacht.

Milwaukee Boat Line also said that catering service for the Iroquois and the Voyageur will be provided by Rip Tide Seafood Bar and Grill. Rip Tide owner Hans Weissgerber III had previously operated the Edelweiss Cruise Lines, which closed in October 2006.
miltown no está en línea  

Closed Thread