daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #601
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

Counties are nothing but subsidiaries of the State. Most have no county exucutives, but are rather adminstered by a paid "county manager," and governed by a board of supervisors. Counties in Wisconsin are there to adminster the local courts, sherrif's departments and health and welfare services. They have no choice but to perform these tasks -- it's the reason they exist.

Milwaukee County also runs the parks system and the transit system. This is unique. The County took over these functions during the early to mid 20th Century. At the time it seemed like a good idea to have the county take over two services that were ever more crossing municipal boundaries. The Parks, along with the Zoo and Public Museum, both run by the County, were seen to be a regional asset best administered by a "regional" authority.

Since the County took over these functions, the population of the collar counties exploded, especially Waukesha County. The rise in suburbanization also coincided with a huge increase in social problems in the central city. So, Milwaukee County is left holding the bag paying both for the enormous costs incurred by the courts, jails and social service agencies due to social problems, but also paying to adminster those assets that suburban residents enjoy without having to pay for.

The County cannot give up its courts and social services functions, nor can it really do much to reduce the costs. But it doesn't have to run the parks and the transit sytem. Given today's realities, it doesn't make sense to have Milwaukee County alone covering the cost of the parks and the transit system. These are regional assets as much as they were back in the 1930s - 1950s when Milwaukee County took them over. It's just that now we define "region" to include far more than Milwaukee County.

We need leaders with the balls to stand up, put aside the petty provincial politics, and create a regional transit authority with taxing authority and teeth, and an independent, regional parks and culture district with taxing authority. If we continue to sit on our hands, our parks and transit system will continue to wither away and eventually die on the vine.

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #602
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

I don't think that could have been said any better.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #603
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

well said milwaukeeenseen
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #604
Paule

Likes (Received): 949

What the heck is going on here Milwaukee? This place is already going under?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=567540
Paule no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #605
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
What the heck is going on here Milwaukee? This place is already going under?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=567540
sounds like they need new management,
and to stay open later, and yes to become more oriented toward
cooking stuff that people could eat there,
it could be a bit more like Food Life in the water tower in downtown chicago,

I like Food Life and this should be more like that,
nothing wrong with selling stuff to cook at home, but most people would want to be able to eat there, especially the lunchtime crowd,
I have notice that the NEON
sign of the public market is also suprisingly not completely lit up,
looks haggard already.
mohammed wong no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #606
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

^jeez, that's not good. How many people live in the third ward, anyway, like 2,000 and counting? As far as I know, it's the only grocer in the third ward. I would imagine it would be a huge draw for all those 5th/3rd ward denizens, as well as some people in downtown. what's up? Do these people drive to brady or farwell or some other place to get their groceries??
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #607
brewcityfan

I wouldn't say the place is going under. Just because there needs to be new management and that business has been a bit slow doesn't mean the end. How long has the Public Market been open anyways?? I don't think it was that long. You never know, maybe this will give a signal to the Third and Fifth Ward residents to shop there more for their fine foods.
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #608
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
^jeez, that's not good. How many people live in the third ward, anyway, like 2,000 and counting? As far as I know, it's the only grocer in the third ward. I would imagine it would be a huge draw for all those 5th/3rd ward denizens, as well as some people in downtown. what's up? Do these people drive to brady or farwell or some other place to get their groceries??
I have noticed a major decrease in foot traffic in the Public Market as of late. Everytime I'm in there I try to ask the clerks how business is going. Usually they say it's dead as hell during the week but it picks up on the weekends. I was in there on Super Bowl Sunday picking up some chips and salsa from El Rey and I was one of maybe three people in the whole place. Clearly it's not going well.

I think the problem is that the Market doesn't know what it wants to be. It's not a full service grocery store. I work downtown and I would stop regularly if they had the things that I usually buy. But they don't. It's not really a food court either. It is a good place to go to lunch but there are only three stands that serve lunches. Sure, I might pick up something for dinner while I'm there eating lunch but there are several problems with this: first, I have to keep the stuff at work with me the rest of the day, and two, usually when I'm eating lunch I'm not thinking about dinner yet.

So, it's not a grocery store, and it's not a food court. What is it? A place for niche foods? That's all fine and dandy, but I can easily get speciality food at the grocery store I go to, where I can also get staples like bananas and Miller High Life -- things I can't get at the Market. So I get speciality foods at the grocery store.
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:02 AM   #609
mohammed wong

RIC Riverwest Investment Cooperative

Riverwest Investment Cooperative is a really cool organization
their web page is riverwestinvest.com

they fixed up 2543 N. Holton, a nice brick building that they saved from demolition, though they didnt take the paint off the brick like they shouldve,
and im pretty sure its been sold already,

they are working on 2518 N. Weil a single family house

and they are fixing up a nice big brick building at 2336 N 1st street, (just north of North ave)
its 1920s era and has eight units, will be cooperative or non traditional condos,
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:28 AM   #610
cubercle
Registered Boozer

Likes (Received): 28

randomly found this photo googling milwaukee city hall scaffolding:

Old February 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM   #611
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

^WUT UP G!!!!!!!
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:01 AM   #612
FutureChicaukeean
mmm...Cheese

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
^WUT UP G!!!!!!!
Drunkie McDrunk....

Cool photo, never seen that view before.

Once again, we might not have the tallest buildings but we sure do have a dense core filled with life!

BTW tonight I traded Milwaukee products for all imports (Dublin, Holland and Mexico) which I belive caused a jinx on the Badgers tonight.
FutureChicaukeean no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:12 AM   #613
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

I'm not drunk, I just miss the Quebercle.
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM   #614
mohammed wong

Riverwest Nimbies Slow Down UWM Dorms

Taken from UWM Post Feb 19th

While construction of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee RiverView dorms is underway, it has caused some controversy among Riverwest residents, with most of the frustration directed toward 3rd District Ald. Mike D‚€™Amato.

Riverwest resident RoseMary Oliveira said the neighborhood was not properly consulted regarding the development and was misled about information.

‚€œThe democratic process was short-circuited and didn‚€™t work,‚€Ě Oliveira said.

Another resident, Heide Piehler, said that not everyone was aware of when informational meetings would be held. She said mostly the Riverwest Neighborhood Association (RNA) was involved and they were in favor of the project.

Since that time, the residents elected a new RNA chairman while some members stepped down, and Oliveira said, the voter turnout was higher than any previous RNA election.

D‚€™Amato said that residents should have been aware of the project and informational meetings. He said that multiple mailings, to those within a five- to six-block radius of the bluff, e-mails and stories in the local media were used to inform residents of the project.

‚€œIf you didn‚€™t know (about the dorm project), you didn‚€™t try very hard to get information,‚€Ě D‚€™Amato said.

Oliveira said that the first project meeting she was aware of took place with very little in attendance. She claims that most of the people who did attend were opposed to the dorms going up.

Oliveira said that one of the public information meetings lasted about two hours with most of the time being filled by a presentation for the project. Each attendee was then allowed only two minutes to ask questions. When concerns were raised, residents were told that the time was set aside for questions only, she said.

But D‚€™Amato said there was more public involvement and, while there were some project concerns, many community members supported the development.

‚€œThere were at least five meetings that were probably attended by 300 to 400 people,‚€Ě D‚€™Amato said.

D‚€™Amato also said the height, density, transportation and design of the project‚€™s original plans were changed to relieve some concerns.

Petitions circulated after meetings

After the meetings, at least three petitions were signed by community residents, and when awareness grew, opposition increased.

‚€œWhen we had 685 signatures on a petition, the Common Council should have walked away,‚€Ě Oliveira said.

In order for the dorms to be built on the restricted bluff, a land swap would have to take place. It was proposed that nearby land, owned by Readco Development, a private entity, be swapped for the restricted land.

One of the reasons the RNA supported the land swap was because it would make room for a bike trail that had been proposed by the River Revitalization Foundation for the last five years, said Vince Bushell, Riverwest Currents editor and part-time worker for the foundation.

Bushell said that five years ago there was a consensus among the community in favor of the swap.

However, Piehler and Oliveira said the plan for the bike trail was presented differently. Oliveira said that people weren‚€™t aware that in exchange for a bike trail they would be getting a large peace of development right on the river.

The project moved forward and residents became outraged when they discovered that the land swap had not yet been approved by the National Park Service.

When the RiverView dorms were first proposed, a group of entities had to agree on the project before it could move forward, said Vince Bushell, a member of the River Revitalization Foundation, who works to preserve environment around river.

Those entities included Milwaukee County, Milwaukee County Parks, the National Park Service, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Readco, the UWM Foundation and the River Revitalization Foundation.

Lawsuit contends construction ‚€˜illegal‚€™

Scott Peak, director of UWM University Housing, said the land swap was approved by all entities except the National Park Service. The approval was assumed to be granted in October.

But, Oliveira said, residents noticed that construction on the property began before National Park Service approval had been granted. She said that the residents felt the county had given the university a permit to start building a foundation illegally.

The residents filed a lawsuit against the parks department at U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin in August.

Oliveira said the judge ruled that construction could not go above grade level until approval was granted. However, Oliveira said that construction did move above that point.

Peak said construction was halted until approval was granted three weeks ago, causing a semester delay in the dorms opening.

Residents frustrated over process

Oliveira expressed frustration in how the whole project was handled and that most of it was directed toward the former RNA administration and D‚€™Amato, emphasizing that in no way was the community blaming the university.

‚€œWe allowed this to happen to ourselves. We fell asleep watching (our representatives),‚€Ě Oliveira said. ‚€œWe trusted them.‚€Ě

D‚€™Amato disputes the claims that the political process was skewed.

‚€œThere were multiple layers of review by the city, county, state and federal government. I can‚€™t recall a project that had this much public review, other than this dorm project,‚€Ě D‚€™Amato said.

Oliveira said that at this point, there is nothing that can be done, but she hopes that this will keep Riverwest residents more aware of their representatives and influence them to hold them accountable.
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:56 PM   #615
brewcityfan

The bad part is no matter what, usually every constuction project has some opposition. I'm actually glad that it went on despite "concerns", just because the UWM dorm situation isn't getting any better, there's no more room around the campus unless they want to tear down tons of homes or woods, and UWM is becoming a better university by the year, drawing more students.

Something needed to be done, and it was. If the residents opposed feel it's going to be that bad, they can always find a different neighborhood to live in.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:31 PM   #616
honest86
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 12

Yeah, UWM won't be opening the new dorm until second semester next year... I doubt the will have enough students moving in to fill the first floor, heck the number of students living in the dorms second semester this year is less than first semester... the number of students who transfer in are less then those who moved out.
honest86 no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:07 PM   #617
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

I sympathise with Riverwesters. They've got a good thing going in that neighborhood and I can understand not wanting new development that could force them to move. But opposing a dorm? At that site? North Ave. where that was build was the p-lots of jewel-osco across the street from two duplexes and some vacant lots. It's not like a lot of older buildings were torn down to make room for the project. And why oppose a dorm? The building will fit in pretty well with the current makeup of Riverwest residents. The area has a lot of young people and students anyway and a dorm isn't going to bring about any more condos than would come anyway. It just doesn't make sense.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM   #618
MilwaukeeD

VA Grounds Plan

www.mkedcd.org/va
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM   #619
MilwaukeeD

Mayor's Transit Strategy Powerpoint

http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/displa...ansitPlan2.pdf