daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:13 AM   #621
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

I love PowerPoints, especially the "thank you" slide! So is the reason that the COMET juts onto 794 by the airport to keep it within te city of Milwaukee? That was the only reason I could think of, and it seems like the only reason to do that would be to be able to build the system without Scott Walker's blessing. Is that Barrett's plan?
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM   #622
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by honest86 View Post
Yeah, UWM won't be opening the new dorm until second semester next year... I doubt the will have enough students moving in to fill the first floor, heck the number of students living in the dorms second semester this year is less than first semester... the number of students who transfer in are less then those who moved out.
Where do you get this info from? There's room for between 2500 and 3000 kids in the current dorm and months before the next semester starts, all the spots are filled, with hundreds more in a "waiting line."

Last I heard, when housing applications were sent out to prospective freshman, the applications included the new riverwest dorms and the majority of applicants said they wanted to live there. Now that it's been pushed back a lot of kids are getting screwed out of a spot. With the number of people attending UWM each year increasing by the year, I dont see any problems filling the dorms up.
D-res no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:00 AM   #623
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

I'm going to spam this thread and link to a photo thread I did, enjoy all:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...2#post11846762
CGII no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:36 AM   #624
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

i hope plans can go thru for the veterans center / grounds ......

The transit plan looks pretty good, i like the comet idea and if this all goes thru it would really revitalize the entire surrounding area around the Amtrak station. The circualtor may not look good to some people but i think it will be effective,, especially if it was extended to the summerfest gates during summerfest. I think if all of these go thru and we find a definite way to fund the current buses (sales tax) our mass transit system will look pretty good. i also like the plans to expand the COMET when it is successful!
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:25 AM   #625
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

The Bucks can't win! Ugh 2OT's and still a BIG L. So hard to watch. Redd nailed 38points for something positive
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM   #626
Kyoto

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
otherwise known as the trojan horse for light rail,
the horror.
it eats babies you know hehe
Kyoto no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM   #627
honest86
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-res View Post
Where do you get this info from? There's room for between 2500 and 3000 kids in the current dorm and months before the next semester starts, all the spots are filled, with hundreds more in a "waiting line."

Last I heard, when housing applications were sent out to prospective freshman, the applications included the new riverwest dorms and the majority of applicants said they wanted to live there. Now that it's been pushed back a lot of kids are getting screwed out of a spot. With the number of people attending UWM each year increasing by the year, I dont see any problems filling the dorms up.
I am not saying that there is a problem filling the dorms if they were filled first semester, but I am saying that there is a problem filling the dorms second semester. The current UWM dorms hold 2700 students, of which several hundred leave after first semester for reasons such as dropping out, or transferring to another school or whatnot. The number of students who transfer, or decide to start school second semester and live in the dorms is almost always less than the number that left. If you really wanted to move into the dorms, try doing it second semester, there usually isn't a waiting list. With the new dorm opening second semester next year, that will create room for about 500 more students second semester.
honest86 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #628
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
THURSDAY, Feb. 22, 2007, 10:46 a.m.
By John Schmid

Zore: Insurer would bypass city today
Ed Zore, chief executive of Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co., said his company would bypass Milwaukee today if it were choosing to relocate from elsewhere.

Zore spoke at a meeting today of the Milwaukee 7 to a full auditorium of business and civic leaders from the seven-county region gathered to discuss economic strategies.

"We wouldn't be here," based on "objective criteria," if the company had hired a consultant to examine regions around the nation to relocate, Zore said.

Noting that businesses commonly hire site selection consultants for such rankings, Zore said Milwaukee "at its best" would fall in the middle.

Zore took pains to say that Northwestern Mutual is committed to Milwaukee, its home for 150 years.

"We love it here. We grow here," he said.
That doesn't sound good. If this is what our hometown company feels, I wonder how others feel??
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #629
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
That doesn't sound good. If this is what our hometown company feels, I wonder how others feel??
I would like to know what "objective criteria" he was looking at.. I also wonder as one of the largest employers downtown why he doesn't take an active role in the city and help improve the "objective criteria". NML never really seems to take an active role in the development of the city.. perhaps he has some suggestions?
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #630
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
I would like to know what "objective criteria" he was looking at.. I also wonder as one of the largest employers downtown why he doesn't take an active role in the city and help improve the "objective criteria". NML never really seems to take an active role in the development of the city.. perhaps he has some suggestions?
While I agree, I just want to say that NML did buy the Grand Avenue Mall downtown and revamped it a ton - got new stores to fill in some vacanies - but then sold it right away.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM   #631
exit_320

Quote:
While I agree, I just want to say that NML did buy the Grand Avenue Mall downtown and revamped it a ton - got new stores to fill in some vacanies - but then sold it right away.
I believe their actions were more from an investment standpoint than from an altruistic standpoint.. and once the investment started to fail they pulled out.. and their revamping made the mall looking gimmicky and cheap.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #632
miltown
urban informant

i guess they are having problems with lawyers at the courthouse??????

Roaches bug courthouse denizens
Officials say pests put workers at risk

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=569100
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM   #633
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
[B]Roaches bug courthouse denizens
Ew... roaches freak me out
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM   #634
miltown
urban informant

Port receives $1.2 million state grant
The Port of Milwaukee will receive a $1.2 million state grant to help finance reconstruction of its liquid cargo dock, the Department of Commerce said today.

Construction of the dock, which handles petroleum, lubricants, liquid asphalt and vegetable oils, will be completed by the end of 2007.

"Improving the Port of Milwaukee will help bring more revenue for Milwaukee, benefiting the entire state," Gov. Jim Doyle said in a statement.
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:46 PM   #635
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4270

Finally an answer:

Historic hotel reopens as upscale apartments
Downtown redevelopment project faced major delays

By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: Feb. 21, 2007

The long-delayed redevelopment of the Hotel Wisconsin into upscale housing has been completed, with the new Grand Wisconsin apartments opening Wednesday in downtown Milwaukee.

The conversion of the 94-year-old building took nearly three years to finish and cost $23 million.

Amenities in the 108 apartments at The Grand Wisconsin, 720 N. Old World 3rd St., include maple kitchen cabinets, granite countertops and concierge service. The apartments range in size from one to four bedrooms and have monthly rents from $750 to $2,950.

The apartments, ranging from one to four bedrooms, have monthly rents from $750 to $2,950, according to Ogden & Co., the Grand Wisconsin's property manager. Amenities include maple kitchen cabinets, granite countertops and concierge service.

The building's redevelopment took nearly three years after developers ran into big delays.

Wisconsin Hotel Co. LLC, the Aventura, Fla., investors group that owns the building, announced plans in December 2003 to convert the building into housing, offices and street-level retail space.

To prepare for the conversion, the hotel's 45 long-term residents, along with three businesses on the street level, were evicted.

But those redevelopment plans later ran into problems with asbestos removal.

In January 2005, the state Department of Natural Resources notified the building's owner of violations of agency regulations. Those violations happened when materials containing asbestos were improperly removed from the building, the agency said.

Wisconsin Hotel Co. fired its original general contractor and replaced it with VJS Construction Services. Work on the project, which had stopped, began again in 2005 and was completed recently.

Downtown developments
The Hotel Wisconsin opened in 1913 and was among the city's oldest hotels when it closed in 2003.

The conversion to the Grand Wisconsin apartments becomes the latest in a series of new downtown developments on or near W. Wisconsin Ave.

Other recent projects include renovations to a 105,000-square-foot office building at 211 W. Wisconsin Ave. The Internal Revenue Service moved its regional offices to the building last year and is leasing 75,000 square feet.

Also, Reuss Federal Plaza, 310 W. Wisconsin Ave., is leasing 8,000 square feet to Atlanta-based Rare Hospitality International Inc., which opened The Capital Grille, a high-end steakhouse, last summer.

Federal Plaza has landed other tenants, including Madison-based CapTel Inc., which is leasing 16,500 square feet for a call center.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:52 PM   #636
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
i guess they are having problems with lawyers at the courthouse??????

Roaches bug courthouse denizens
Officials say pests put workers at risk

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=569100
....yet another issue to give to Mr. Walker to give funds to fix!!!!!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM   #637
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

NM Response

I thought you might like to see this... it's an article that was published on NM's intranet site for employees this morning explaining NM CEO Zore's comments yesterday on JS Online...

Quote:
Zore comments on economic development
Feb. 22, 2007
Chief Executive Officer Ed Zore was quoted on JS Online Thursday, Feb. 22, after speaking at a Milwaukee 7 Economic Development Council forum. In anticipation of additional media interest in this story, we are providing background information to put Zore’s comments in context.

Zore noted that Milwaukee would not be the top relocation choice for a company, such as Northwestern Mutual, if it were using totally “objective criteria” in examining regions around the nation.

Zore explained that the advantages of Milwaukee are not always apparent to business leaders outside the community, particularly when examining data that consultants provide on corporate relocation. “Northwestern Mutual’s success is evidence that large corporations with sophisticated workforces can thrive here, and we want to see other businesses grow, as well,” he said.

Zore emphasized our commitment to Milwaukee. “Northwestern Mutual has grown up here; we’re entwined with this community,” he said. “As we approach our 150th anniversary, Milwaukee continues to be the right choice for us. We love it here. We grow here.”

As a member of the Milwaukee 7, Zore was at the meeting to discuss ideas to help attract new businesses to the region. An honest assessment of the region’s strengths and assets is fundamental in attracting new business, according to Zore.

The Milwaukee 7 Economic Development Council brings together the seven southeastern counties to promote the entire seven county region and assist current businesses with expansion and retention needs, attract new businesses, and create a regional identity. It is a joint effort of The Greater Milwaukee Committee, the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce, the Spirit of Milwaukee, and the Mayor’s office.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:41 PM   #638
exit_320

Ok.. so his ideas are? And what he plans on doing to improve the situation is?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM   #639
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Ok.. so his ideas are? And what he plans on doing to improve the situation is?
That's what I'm kinda confused about as well....he openly said NML wouldn't be in Milwaukee if it wasn't here already and had to look for a new HQ, but then he says Milwaukee's great and awesome but its a hidden secret?? Sounds like a flub and trying to make amends....
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM   #640
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
That's what I'm kinda confused about as well....he openly said NML wouldn't be in Milwaukee if it wasn't here already and had to look for a new HQ, but then he says Milwaukee's great and awesome but its a hidden secret?? Sounds like a flub and trying to make amends....
I think he was just trying to point out that Milwaukee does not rank high with national relocation experts. If they were to hire a consultant, that consultant probably would not recommend Milwaukee.

This has nothing to do with a lack of committment by NML to Milwaukee. In fact, it shows their great concern for making Milwaukee a better place for business. He is trying to get us to look at what can be done to put Milwaukee on the corporate relocation map.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  

Closed Thread