daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM   #641
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
I think he was just trying to point out that Milwaukee does not rank high with national relocation experts. If they were to hire a consultant, that consultant probably would not recommend Milwaukee.

This has nothing to do with a lack of committment by NML to Milwaukee. In fact, it shows their great concern for making Milwaukee a better place for business. He is trying to get us to look at what can be done to put Milwaukee on the corporate relocation map.
Well then it goes right back to what exit_320 said earlier. What are his ideas? Suggestions? etc... Or is he going to leave it up to the city/county to figure out on its own? Or is he going to do both??
brewcityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM   #642
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Well then it goes right back to what exit_320 said earlier. What are his ideas? Suggestions? etc... Or is he going to leave it up to the city/county to figure out on its own? Or is he going to do both??
He said these things at a strategic planning meeting where the agenda was to identify Milwaukee's assets and things we need to improve upon, not to come up with ideas or suggestions to improve things. As someone who as both attended and facilitated these meetings, I can tell you it can quickly spiral out of control if you put the cart before the horse and start talking about solutions before you have reached a consensus on defining the problem.

That's the problem when the press attends strategic planning meetings. In order to make it a meaningful process, people have to feel like they can say what they really think. When a newspaper reporter is there and quotes someone saying what they really think out of context, that defeats the entire purpose of having a strategic planning session. Next time you'll have business leaders holding back their comments out of fear they'll be quoted in the paper and get in trouble. That's too bad, because we need the honest input of the top CEOs in order to identify our problems so that we can come up with real solutions.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #643
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
He said these things at a strategic planning meeting where the agenda was to identify Milwaukee's assets and things we need to improve upon, not to come up with ideas or suggestions to improve things. As someone who as both attended and facilitated these meetings, I can tell you it can quickly spiral out of control if you put the cart before the horse and start talking about solutions before you have reached a consensus on defining the problem.

That's the problem when the press attends strategic planning meetings. In order to make it a meaningful process, people have to feel like they can say what they really think. When a newspaper reporter is there and quotes someone saying what they really think out of context, that defeats the entire purpose of having a strategic planning session. Next time you'll have business leaders holding back their comments out of fear they'll be quoted in the paper and get in trouble. That's too bad, because we need the honest input of the top CEOs in order to identify our problems so that we can come up with real solutions.
exactly. and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did offer a few ideas, but the paper decided not to print them. wouldn't be the first time they left out important info.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #644
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

Milwaukee is being flimed live on the weather channel today! It had the East side skyline & the MAM in the background w/ on of the reporters talking. I guess y'all are suppose to get hit pretty bad.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #645
brewcityfan

We got 3-9 inches last night which was only supposed to be 1-2, and tonight was supposed to be 8-12....so who knows what the inch level will be! The sad part for my sisters is that most schools are on winter break friday-monday - no snow days for them!
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #646
brewcityfan

For a positive note for Milwaukee's sports...

Quote:
SATURDAY, Feb. 24, 2007, 7:14 a.m.
By Tom Haudricourt

Opening Day tickets nearly gone
Single game tickets don't go on sale until 9 this morning, but the Brewers have already announced they have fewer than 2,000 tickets available for the home opener against Los Angeles.

The Brewers sai increased sales for ticket packages resulted in the limited availability for opening day tickets.

"The demand for opening day is so strong this year that we could probably sell every seat in Miller Park twice," Brewers executive vice president Rick Schlesinger said in a release. "We still have additional opening day seats available through our nine-game and other season seat holder packages, but we expect that demand will eventually surpass availability for these packages as well."

The Brewers have had a 15% increase over 2006 in sales of season seat holder packages, which reduces the inventory available for some of the season's most anticipated games, including the home opener.

With the high demand, the Brewers do not anticipate being able to release any additional opening day tickets for sale after today.

"For fans who are not buying a multi-game package, we are encouraging them to target the games that they want to see early in the process," Schlesinger said.

In addition to the Miller Park box office, fans will be able to buy tickets Saturday through brewers.com, by phone (414-902-4000) and at all tickets.com outlets. The box office will be open until 5 p.m. Saturday.
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #647
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

down with snow! but on a positive note it was funny to see someone try to dig out a mini cooper that the plow drivers must have taken great effort in burying
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #648
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
Milwaukee is being flimed live on the weather channel today! It had the East side skyline & the MAM in the background w/ on of the reporters talking. I guess y'all are suppose to get hit pretty bad.
Here's the link to the video on weather.com:

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/vi...wxcenter_video
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #649
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Wow. I just survived the bilizzard on a trip to and from Stevens Point over the last 14 hours.
D-res no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #650
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-res View Post
Wow. I just survived the bilizzard on a trip to and from Stevens Point over the last 14 hours.
That drive must have been crazy D-res.... It is raining right now in the Falls.
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #651
brewcityfan

The only thing I'm mad about the snowstorm is I just washed my car 3 days before the storm hit!
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #652
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

hey, brewcityfan, wouldn't be great to see both the Brewers and Cubs have great seasons and really spike the rivalry.
edsg25 no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #653
brewcityfan

If the Brewers have a better season than the Cubs I'm sure you Chicagoans taking up our seats @ "Wrigley North" (disgusting! ) will have a hissy fit. Spiking rivalries? Well, at least from our end of the spectrum it's been pretty spiked as it is! You guys just need to get on the bandwagon

I also add that most of MILLER PARK's Opening Day seats have been sold out (if not all) and the Brewers are telling Milwaukeeians this year to buy early - it sounds like Milwaukee is getting its groove back.
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #654
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Plaza East buildings on sale block, may fetch $70 million
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - February 23, 2007

The Plaza East 14-story twin office buildings in downtown Milwaukee are for sale.

The owners of the 25-year-old buildings expect the 474,000-square-foot property and its 1,230 parking spaces to fetch more than $70 million, which is about $150 per square foot.

wow $70+ million.... i didn't realize they were 25 years old
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #655
neuhickman

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
That drive must have been crazy D-res.... It is raining right now in the Falls.
You're in the Falls? I didn't know that! Me too! This weather is gross!

Old February 26th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #656
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 671

So I'm getting mixed reports... did it snow a lot or did it just rain??

I was due to return to milwaukee from Dallas on saturday... made sure I had an early enough flight that I'd arrive before the snow got really bad and then DFW shut down from a dust/wind storm. BAH! Now I'm not able to get back till monday night. A two day trip turned into 5!
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #657
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

lots of snow, rain/sleet during the day, more snow.
D-res no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #658
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

PARK ONCE

iteresting article about the "park once" concept that is moving forward to make it easier to get around downtown

'Park once' sounds familiar, aina?
Posted: Feb. 25, 2007
Larry Sandler

Speaking fluent Milwaukee-ese, former Mayor John O. Norquist used to describe the "park once" concept this way: "You go downtown and park once."

Mayor Tom Barrett's new version offers even more for Milwaukee linguists: You go downtown and park once, where the streetcar turns the corner 'round.

But streetcars or no streetcars, the "park once" project could be deploying electronic signs to guide drivers to downtown parking garages by the end of the year, City Engineer Jeff Polenske says.

In non-Milwaukee-ese English, the idea behind "park once" is that motorists should be able to drive downtown, quickly find a parking space and then walk or ride public transit to jobs, shops, restaurants and entertainment, without having to get back into their cars until they're ready to go home.

That should reduce traffic congestion, because people wouldn't be wasting time driving in circles looking for a parking place and wouldn't be moving their cars to travel from one downtown destination to another, Polenske said.

"Park once" works together with the pedestrian way-finding signs that have started to appear downtown. Both divide downtown into districts - such as Westown, East Town, the Riverwalk and the Historic Third Ward - and use color-coded signs to direct people to those districts. But while the pedestrian system is steering walkers to points of interest, the parking system will steer drivers to parking garages.

As drivers enter downtown, electronic signs will tell them how many total parking spaces are available in all the garages of a particular district. Once they reach that district, more electronic signs will tell them how many spaces are open in each garage, with arrows directing them to those garages.

The parking system will start with nine garages near Wisconsin Ave. and the Milwaukee River, using 12 regular signs and eight electronic signs, Polenske said. City officials are negotiating with garages to link their cashier systems to a city computer to track vacant and occupied spaces, he said.

Barrett touted the "park once" and pedestrian way-finding systems as part of an overall transportation plan that included a 3-mile streetcar loop and a pair of express bus routes. Both the parking and pedestrian projects, however, were developed during the Norquist administration. Federal aid is paying for 80% of the $3.25 million parking system and the $1.2 million pedestrian signs, Polenske said.
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #659
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Staybridge/Condos on Water

Pretty nice site they setup for the Staybridge/condo development on water:

http://www.theresidencesonwater.com/
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #660
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Pretty nice site they setup for the Staybridge/condo development on water:

http://www.theresidencesonwater.com/
Wow, that didn't take long. It's a nice site too. Now where is "The North End" site that the Mandel group website has been promising us for so long?

PS - I still haven't gotten a clear answer as to why the Regional Transit Authority can't take over MCTS.
ajknee no está en línea  

Closed Thread