daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 27th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #661
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
I still haven't gotten a clear answer as to why the Regional Transit Authority can't take over MCTS.
They are not authorized to do that...not at this point in time anyway. In theory though, it would be possible, if everyone (the State Legislature, the Governor, MCTS, the County Board, the County Executive...) was willing to allow it to happen.
Markitect no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #662
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4277

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
Plaza East buildings on sale block, may fetch $70 million
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - February 23, 2007

The Plaza East 14-story twin office buildings in downtown Milwaukee are for sale.

The owners of the 25-year-old buildings expect the 474,000-square-foot property and its 1,230 parking spaces to fetch more than $70 million, which is about $150 per square foot.

wow $70+ million.... i didn't realize they were 25 years old
MGIC is just about to take over another company and become the largest morgage guarranty insurer. I wonder what this all means?
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #663
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

it's too bad

City drops plans for high-tech business park at V.A. grounds

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett announced today that he is withdrawing his administration's proposal to create a high-tech business park on the grounds at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Clement J. Zablocki Medical Center complex.
The proposal, which included plans to enhance historic buildings on the site for veterans' needs, was strongly opposed by many local veterans who said that any development at the V.A. grounds would disturb the peaceful setting that veterans appreciate while recovering from war wounds.
Department of City Development Commissioner Richard "Rocky" Marcoux met with veterans and veterans' organizations over the past few months in an attempt to reach a compromise, but was unable to appease veterans' concerns.
"Mr. Marcoux learned that, while many veterans support adaptive reuse of selected buildings within the National Soldiers Home (Historic) District specifically for veterans needs, many strenuously oppose new development of any kind on any part of the grounds of the Clement Zablocki Medical Center," Barrett said today in a letter to Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary R. James Nicholson. "Based on the lack of consensus among veterans, we have decided to withdraw the City of Milwaukee's proposal from further consideration. We will not submit a revised proposal for formal federal review."
Barrett's administration had revised its plans and earlier this month presented veterans with an updated $21 million proposal. The plan included a 27.5-acre bio-medical, high tech research and development park on the east side of the V.A. grounds, at the northwest corner of National Avenue and Miller Park Way. Almost all of that property is currently undeveloped.
Under the city's plan, the buildings in the National Soldiers Home Historic District portion of the grounds would have been restored, but not for commercial use. The 118,000-square-foot Old Main building, perhaps the most recognized building on the property, would have been renovated and converted into a 74-unit assisted living community by CommonBond Communities, a nonprofit housing provider that was a partner in the redevelopment of the Teweles Seed Co. building in the Walker's Point neighborhood. Veterans would have been given the first priority for occupancy in the development.
The 107,000-square-foot former V.A. regional office would have been converted to an apartment building, developed by CommonBond Communities, with 62 units for income-qualified senior veterans, age 62 and older, and income-qualified working veterans.
The Ward Memorial Theater building would have been sub-leased for use as the first phase of America's Freedom Center Museum, which would have honored the dedication and sacrifices of America's veterans. The second phase for the museum would have been constructed in the high tech business park.
Barrett's plan also included a new $3.2 million steam heat supply system at the V.A. Medical Center and $1 million in upgrades to the Medical Center pharmacy.
Barrett's administration came up with the idea for the business park at the V.A. grounds after the Department of Veterans Affairs, in 2003, began a process to seek a developer to lease and develop underutilized portions of the grounds. Leasing part of the grounds would create a source of new revenue for the DVA.
"As a community, the City of Milwaukee remains hopeful that other interested parties, including the federal government, now step forward and commit the resources necessary for the preservation of the Zablocki Medical Center grounds, the National Soldiers Home District and the Wood National Cemetery as a sacred place that serves the needs of veterans and families," Barrett said in his letter to Nicholson.

miltown no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM   #664
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 223

THURSDAY, March 1, 2007, 2:12 p.m.
By Thomas Daykin

City assistance sought for Park East
The City of Milwaukee should provide financial assistance for a housing, hotel and retail development proposed for the Park East area, the Good Jobs and Livable Neighborhoods Coalition said today.

The city funds, which would be repaid through the development's property taxes, are needed to help Chicago-based RSC & Associates build the $77 million first phase of Park East Square, said the coalition, a group funded by labor unions, churches and other organizations.

RSC owner Richard Curto said last month he's seeking $9 million from the city, but has been rebuffed by Department of City Development officials. Without that public funding, Curto said, he will shrink his plans for Park East Square.

Mayor Tom Barrett's administration says city taxpayers already have spent $22 million preparing the 64-acre Park East area for development.
brewcityfan está en línea ahora  
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:54 PM   #665
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

the Good Jobs and Livable Neighborhoods Coalition are just pissed off the city rejected their plan for part east development and are bitching about the city in any way possible
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:14 AM   #666
miltown
urban informant

Agreement could clear way for new hotel near zoo

Milwaukee County and City of Wauwatosa officials have reached a tentative agreement for the city to provide water to an 8.5-acre site at the southeast corner of Highway 100 and Bluemound Road, where county officials hope to attract a hotel, water park and conference center development.
The agreement still must be approved by the Milwaukee County Board and the Wauwatosa Common Council. The county board planned to review the proposed agreement today.
The site is adjacent to the Milwaukee County Zoo property. It was formerly used as the Bliffert Lumber Co. lumber yard, county board spokesman Harold Mester said. The county acquired the property in 1990. The property lies within the City of Milwaukee, but Milwaukee officials balked at extending its infrastructure to the site.
In 2005, the property was re-zoned to allow a hotel development, Mester said. In addition, the Metropolitan Milwaukee Sewage District (MMSD) has agreed to allow Milwaukee County to extend sewer service to the site.
The county, or the eventual developer of the property, will pay for the cost to have water service extended to the property and then will be charged like a regular utility customer, Wauwatosa City Administrator Jim Archambo said.
The county would issue a request for proposals (RFP), seeking developers who would build a hotel, which could include a conference center and water park, at the site, Mester said.
The county is hoping to attract a 200- to 300-room hotel for the property, he said. The county wants to attract a hotel development to the property to bring in more revenue for the county and to enhance the zoo, Mester said.
"There could be people coming to the zoo who would stay at the hotel and would enjoy the water park," he said.
The property is the only undeveloped corner of the busy Highway 100 and Bluemound Road intersection. Restaurateur "Johnny V" Vassallo recently opened a Mo's Irish Pub at the northwest corner of the intersection, replacing a vacant former Ground Round restaurant.
Mo's Irish Pub has been a success there, causing parking problems. Vassallo purchased the adjacent Pizza Hut property, at 10870 W. Bluemound Road, and closed that restaurant to create more parking for his restaurant.
The success of Mo's Irish Pub could indicate that a hotel at the intersection would also do well, Mester said. "It's a key corner," Mester said.

I wonder why the city wouldn't want to provide infrastructure to the site, does this mean that Wauwatosa owns the land now? or is it still Milwaukee ??
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:31 AM   #667
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

What I wonder is whether Milwaukee County is mandating parameters at this development site like they're doing at the Park East Corridor. If not, well then isn't that a double standard?
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #668
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
I wonder why the city wouldn't want to provide infrastructure to the site, does this mean that Wauwatosa owns the land now? or is it still Milwaukee ??
For future reference, could you please include the source and/or links to news stories, so we all know where they're coming from.

The water park and hotel was estimated to require 40,000 gallons of water per day. Milwaukee officials were hesitant to extend a water main for the water park. They were concerned that since the water park would be at the very end of the main, that there would not be enough water pressure to adequately supply the park. So Milwaukee officials suggested that Wauwatosa's water infrastructure would be better suited to handle the water demands of the park.

Wauwatosa officials originally said they did not have a policy to supply water to land outside its borders. They also had reservations about a hotel at the zoo--they feared it would have an adverse affect on existing hotels within Wauwatosa's already struggling hotel market.

But after a couple of years ironing things out, this new agreement would allow the hotel and water park to be built. The new policy allows the City of Wauwatosa to supply water for the development to this land, which is right outside its border in the City of Milwaukee. Neither Wauwatosa or Milwaukee owns the land--the County does.

Last edited by Markitect; March 2nd, 2007 at 03:50 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:07 AM   #669
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Wauwatosa officials originally said they did not have a policy to supply water to land outside its borders. They also had reservations about a hotel at the zoo--they feared it would have an adverse affect on existing hotels within Wauwatosa's already struggling hotel market.
I'm confused. If Wauwatosa has a struggling hotel market, then why is Crowne Plaza building a hotel on Watertown Plank and Mayfair Roads, and why would another hotel be proposed for that gigantic project on US 45 and Burleigh St (which I believe was approved)? You'd think it would be the exact opposite.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM   #670
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
If Wauwatosa has a struggling hotel market, then why is Crowne Plaza building a hotel on Watertown Plank and Mayfair Roads, and why would another hotel be proposed for that gigantic project on US 45 and Burleigh St (which I believe was approved)?
That stuff is happening in the present-day. The concerns about the struggling hotel market in Wauwatosa were from when the hotel/water park at the zoo was originally proposed two years ago.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM   #671
miltown
urban informant

Quote:
For future reference, could you please include the source and/or links to news stories, so we all know where they're coming from.
Small Business Times - biztimes.com - http://www.biztimes.com/daily/2007/3...hotel-near-zoo
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:23 AM   #672
brewcityfan

Quote:
That stuff is happening in the present-day. The concerns about the struggling hotel market in Wauwatosa were from when the hotel/water park at the zoo was originally proposed two years ago.
Oooooh.....sorry about that. As I said, I was quite confused.

Also there's new hope for the Milwaukee Public Market. Article found here: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=572320

Last edited by brewcityfan; March 2nd, 2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:57 PM   #673
brewcityfan

Great article in today's Journal Sentinel concerning area CEO's and their opinions on how to improve Milwaukee inside and out.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=572534
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #674
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it here or not, but I just noticed today on top of 411 E Wisconsin Quarles & Brady has a new sign on the top of the building. It looks red with some white bracing of some sort. Don't I remember someone saying that signs can no longer be put on high-rises in Milwaukee? I wonder if this sign will be lit up at night. If it is, it will add some nice color to an otherwise colorless building.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #675
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1240

411 East Signage

Hey Clark, I think this is what you are referring to. Take a look at lower right corner and other side of the top of the 411 East. This might look pretty cool at night. Hope someone snaps a shot.

Old March 4th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #676
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

yes sir, it is boatnurd. i just grabbed a pic from my balc, facing sw. if it's lit up tonight, i'll get another. doesn't actually look too bad, in my opinion. much better than that huge miller one closer to 43.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #677
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1240

Sweet shot Clark. That is one crisp picture. I swiped mine off the Channel 12 web cam.
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #678
exit_320

Was anyone at the Bucks game? Big disappointment
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #679
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Wow, I can't wait to see it in person. I'm really curious how it looks on the skyline from a distance.

So are we supposed to be calling it the Quarles & Brady Building, or Q&B Tower now? I hope so. 411 East Wisconsin is one bleak name.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #680
UWMilwaukeeJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Was anyone at the Bucks game? Big disappointment
I stayed in tune with the game on my labtop. The bucks can never 1. get luck 2. close a game out 3 stay consistant. At least they will get some press with the 52 point slash by Redd.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  

Closed Thread