daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #681
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald View Post
Don't I remember someone saying that signs can no longer be put on high-rises in Milwaukee?
No.

The City did revise its sign ordinance a few years back to improve the quality and appearance of signs that could be placed on buildings. This came about after a few companies around town started erecting large, gaudy, boxy, back-lit signs on their buildings (like the Wells Fargo sign, or the Firstar/USBank signs) that were essentially billboards.

Since that revision tightened up the regulations, there have been a lot of nice well-designed, unobtrusive signs erected on various buildings, and they are now more architectural/sculptural in appearance (like the Borders sign, the Q&B sign, the Rockwell Automation sign, to name a few).

Last edited by Markitect; March 5th, 2007 at 04:20 AM.
Markitect no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #682
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Ah yes, hehe, well I didn't remember in detail the signage ordinance, just that there was a change in it. The Q & B sign is not illuminated, though I think it looks pretty sharp. Hopefully they're still working on the lighting.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #683
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Was anyone at the Bucks game? Big disappointment

Yes, me and the girl hit it up and boy was that frusterating. Up 18 at one point and Redd with 52 amazing points.

The new sign i did notice too, on the plain building I had to look twice.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #684
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIL Mike View Post
Yes, me and the girl hit it up and boy was that frusterating. Up 18 at one point and Redd with 52 amazing points.

The new sign i did notice too, on the plain building I had to look twice.
How annoying was it that there seemed to be more Bulls fans there? I found a good response to their heckling was to bring up the super bowl
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #685
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Quote:
How annoying was it that there seemed to be more Bulls fans there? I found a good response to their heckling was to bring up the super bowl
Yeah there were many bulls fans there and coming from IL myself it seemed many made the trip because of the weekend game. I would say it was 60-40 bucks fans though, you could really tell when the bucks were making the run in the 3rd and how loud it got compared to the bulls runs in the 4th. I have been to a couple other bulls/bucks games during the week and not nearly as many were at the game since the drive back during the work week.

And yes i was thinking about starting the chant Bears still suck

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #686
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Whitney Gould: Height You Won't Hate

New condo tower brings height you won't hate
Posted: March 4, 2007

Milwaukeeans have a love/hate relationship with tall buildings. We bemoan our vertically challenged skyline and covet the soaring towers of Chicago and Manhattan. But almost anytime someone here proposes a tall building outside the central business district - even a building that by big-city standards isn't terribly tall - the old not-in-my-backyard hackles go up. Out of character, out of scale, we're not Chicago, there goes the neighborhood - well, you know the litany.

Continued Story: Journal Sentinel
EastSider no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #687
milwaukee-københavn

It's been like a ghost town around here lately. Any new developments of note?
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #688
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

It has been pretty quiet on the development front lately. I'm hoping that it's the lull before the onslaught of great development news reports.

A couple weeks ago over at the Urban Milwaukee Website, MilwaukeeD was telling everyone to be patient in regards to the Ghazi proposal for the 401 W. Wisconsin location. Everybody was speculating that proposal was dead since nothing had been said for what seems like forever. MilwaukeeD posted back on February 19th that there would be an update coming in a couple weeks. So hopefully we'll hear a positive update sometime this week.

Last edited by Oshkosh49; March 6th, 2007 at 06:19 AM.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #689
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
It has been pretty quiet on the development front lately. I'm hoping that it's the lull before the onslaught of great development news reports.

A couple weeks ago over at the Urban Milwaukee Website, MilwaukeeD was telling everyone to be patient in regards to the Ghazi proposal for the 401 W. Wisconsin location. Everybody was speculating that proposal was dead since nothing had been said for what seems like forever. MilwaukeeD posted back on February 19th that there would be an update coming in a couple weeks. So hopefully we'll hear a positive update sometime this week.
Actually today was the first deadline that he set.. then he set a second deadline for this Wednesday
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #690
EastSider
Fresh Coast

The Wisconsin Historical Society has freed Milwaukee County to raze the 92-year-old structure, after years of efforts to find the money to restore the architecturally significant but decaying structure have come up short.
Historic Station May Be Razed

Two state legislators called Monday for an end to vehicle emissions testing in southeastern Wisconsin and a dramatic funding overhaul for the region's public buses and proposed commuter trains.
Transit Plan Would Drop Emission Tests

Taylor Dynamometer Inc., a New Berlin manufacturer, is seeking a $1.5 million loan from Milwaukee Economic Development Corp. to help finance a new plant in Milwaukee's Menomonee Valley. Taylor plans to triple the size of its existing facility by constructing a $5 million plant on 3.3 acres in the city-owned Menomonee Valley Industrial Center. Taylor plans to begin construction of its 43,350-square-foot facility this spring and is buying the city-owned site for $120,000 an acre. Taylor Dynamometer makes equipment that tests engines for power and torque.
Taylor Dynamometer Plans Expansion in Valley
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #691
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Mandel redesigned their website, and added many new renderings and 'condo views' for some projects.
Go to their website: Mandel Group

Eppstein Uhen also shows some minor design changes for the Amtrak Station ('Intermodal'). Check out the framing along the bottom of the building.
More Renderings (plus interior) found on their website: Eppstein Uhen

Last edited by EastSider; March 6th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #692
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
keep that up and we Cub fans won't let you guys into a Brewer game when you guys come to play in Chicago's Miller Park or Chicago's Wrigley Field (wait...come to think of it, we already don't let you in).
edsg25 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #693
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
Mandel redesigned their website, and added many new renderings and 'condo views' for some projects.
Go to their website: Mandel Group

Eppstein Uhen also shows some minor design changes for the Amtrak Station ('Intermodal'). Check out the framing along the bottom of the building.
More Renderings (plus interior) found on their website: Eppstein Uhen

I like the updated websites. Provides much more info and better pictures than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
keep that up and we Cub fans won't let you guys into a Brewer game when you guys come to play in Chicago's Miller Park or Chicago's Wrigley Field (wait...come to think of it, we already don't let you in).
We shall see about that this year. The Brewers are supposed to do well this year..... Oh, and when the hell did Chicago (or Illinois for a more legal standing) annex all of SE Wisconsin?? I didn't any news about this.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #694
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskosh49
A couple weeks ago over at the Urban Milwaukee Website, MilwaukeeD was telling everyone to be patient in regards to the Ghazi proposal for the 401 W. Wisconsin location. Everybody was speculating that proposal was dead since nothing had been said for what seems like forever.
No, it's not dead. In fact, the Ghazi proposal is making its way through various committees within the Redevelopment Authority and Common Council.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #695
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

[QUOTE=brewcityfan;12048294We shall see about that this year. The Brewers are supposed to do well this year..... Oh, and when the hell did Chicago (or Illinois for a more legal standing) annex all of SE Wisconsin?? I didn't any news about this.[/QUOTE]

we did it while enjoying our summer homes in Lake Geneva. Hey, don't beat up on me: I'm doing my part to make Cubs-Brewers into the class and quality of Cubs-Cardinals.

And wouldn't that potential Cubs/Cardinals/Brewers race in the NL/C look pretty damned good for our whole region???????
edsg25 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #696
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Cramer-Krasselt will anchor new Park East hotel building

Published March 7, 2007 - BizTimes Daily

Downtown Milwaukee's Park East Freeway corridor is on the verge of receiving a major boost. Chicago-based Cramer-Krasselt has decided to move its Milwaukee office from 733 N. Van Buren St. to a new Park East corridor development being planned by Mequon-based Ruvin Development Inc. and Dallas-based Gatehouse Capital Corp.
Cramer-Krasselt will occupy two floors - about 50,000 square feet of space - in a new 10-story building that Ruvin and Gatehouse plan to build on a parking lot along the west side of the Milwaukee River, just east of Old World Third Street and between McKinley Avenue and Juneau Avenue.
The building also will have 10 condominiums on the top floor, and Ruvin and Gatehouse are in the process of finalizing a deal for a 120-room Aloft hotel in the building. Aloft is a new hotel brand for White Plains, N.Y.-based Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc.'s hip and trendy W Hotels division.

Milwaukee's new hotel row

The newest hotel would be the third new hotel proposed in the four-block stretch along Juneau Avenue between Water and Fourth streets.
"(Aloft) is an extended stay, more of a limited service hotel (than the W hotels)," Ruvin Development owner Rob Ruvin told SBT. "It's a newer concept that plays off the W brand. (Aloft) has a lower price point, but it still has the great vibe and energy and caters to a similar market (as the W hotels)."
The building will have retail space on the first floor, which will probably include a restaurant, Ruvin said.
The property is directly east of the Sydney Hih block, where Ruvin and Gatehouse plan to build a mixed-use development with another 180-room boutique hotel, 70 residential condominiums, 100,000 square feet of office space and 30,000 square feet of retail space. That hotel will be operated by San Francisco-based Kimpton Hotels. The centerpiece for the Sydney Hih block development will be the 25-story tower for the hotel and condos. The development also will include restoration of part of the Sydney Hih building and restoration of the Gipfel brewery building, which will be moved from 423-27 W. Juneau Ave. next to the Sydney Hih building.
The two developments will complement each other, Ruvin said. The Kimpton Hotel will be at a higher price point than the Aloft hotel, giving travelers looking to stay downtown more choices.
Ruvin Development also plans to purchase the six-story, 105,328-square-foot Riverfront Plaza building, which is the former home of the Third Street Pier restaurant, at 1104-21 N. Old World Third St. That purchase also includes two parking lots along the Milwaukee River, including the parking lot for the building that will be occupied by Kramer-Crasselt and the Aloft hotel.

Great view

Cramer-Krasselt, the third-largest independent advertising agency in the nation, will occupy about the same amount of space in the new location that it has at its current location, but the new space will be much more efficient, said Betsy Brown, general manger for the company's Milwaukee office.
"This (building) met our needs best," Brown said. "It's smack dab on the river. The views we are going to have are going to be terrific. We really wanted to be in an area that reflected our creative nature and our growth potential. I think the (Park East corridor) has the cachet of a hip and growing area."
Both of the Ruvin/Gatehouse developments are expected to break ground this fall, Ruvin said. The Kramer-Crasselt/Aloft building will be completed during the fourth quarter of 2008, and the Sydney Hih block project will be completed in the fourth quarter of 2009, he said.
In addition to the two hotels Ruvin is developing, Fort Myers, Fla.-based DOC Corp. recently began site work for construction of a 14-story building at the southeast corner of North Water Street and Juneau Avenue, which will include a 121-room Staybridge Suites hotel, 31 condominiums and 14,000 square feet of retail space. The project is expected to be completed in May 2008.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #697
exit_320

Development by New Land Enterprises for empty lot along Kilbourn Avenue at Cass St. There is a rendering in the March 2007 edition of M magazine on page 55. Here is an article about the development from July:

Condos proposed for long vacant lot
By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]

Posted: July 20, 2006
A Milwaukee developer wants to build six townhouse-style condominiums on a downtown lot that's been empty for over 10 years, according to a proposal filed with the city Board of Zoning Appeals.

Jim Wiechmann is proposing construction of the three-story townhouses at 711 E. Kilbourn Ave. The site was last occupied by an Amoco gas station that closed in 1994, and was demolished a year later.

The townhouses would each have 5,000 square feet, according to the plans. Wiechmann couldn't be reached Thursday for further information about the project, which will be reviewed by the board at its July 27 meeting.

Wiechmann's investment in the project would total $5.25 million, according to the plans. That includes a pending offer to buy the lot for $1.6 million from an affiliate of Scottish Rite Masonic Center, 790 N. Van Buren St.

Scottish Rite bought the 14,290-square-foot lot in 1999 for $255,000.

Wiechmann's other recent projects include a partnership with New Land Enterprises to develop 27 condominiums at Cathedral Place, an office tower at 555 E. Wells St.

Wiechmann is a partner with New Land on other projects; owns several east side apartment buildings, and is an owner of Stevens Point Brewery.

From the July 21, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #698
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
Published March 7, 2007 - BizTimes Daily

Downtown Milwaukee's Park East Freeway corridor is on the verge of receiving a major boost. Chicago-based Cramer-Krasselt has decided to move its Milwaukee office from 733 N. Van Buren St. to a new Park East corridor development being planned by Mequon-based Ruvin Development Inc. and Dallas-based Gatehouse Capital Corp.
Wow.. a suprise building. fun! Too bad it isn't in the block 6/12 development though.. Anyone have any renderings?
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #699
Markitect

Not really a surprise...it was reported a month or so ago that Ruvin had bought those lots with plans to build on them.
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #700
UWMilwaukeeJay

Hey sorry off topic, but this is a cool pic from back in 03':
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  

Closed Thread