daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #701
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Not really a surprise...it was reported a month or so ago that Ruvin had bought those lots with plans to build on them.
yes, but at that time they were only "potential future development sites". also a surprise considering this was an unexpected location since everyone thought the park east site they were talking about was block 6/12
exit_320 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #702
honest86
Urbanist
 
honest86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 410
Likes (Received): 12

Hey did anyone notice that you can now goto Google Maps and see what the traffic is like for downtown milwaukee.
honest86 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #703
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,666
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
yes, but at that time they were only "potential future development sites". also a surprise considering this was an unexpected location since everyone thought the park east site they were talking about was block 6/12
For Block 6/12 (Water and McKinley) the hope is RedPrairie will relocate its HQ to that building. It would be the main tenant in the proposed building if it goes through. I believe the developers/architects presented a rendering to RedPrairie with its logo on the building as well.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #704
Skyking2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 499
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Wow.. a suprise building. fun! Too bad it isn't in the block 6/12 development though.. Anyone have any renderings?
I'm all for development, but this one's another yawner. Another wasted 10-story building - when it could have been part of a larger project. Boooooring.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #705
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
For Block 6/12 (Water and McKinley) the hope is RedPrairie will relocate its HQ to that building. It would be the main tenant in the proposed building if it goes through. I believe the developers/architects presented a rendering to RedPrairie with its logo on the building as well.
Both were listed as potential tenants.. I too hope that Red Prairie decides on that building.

Quote:
I'm all for development, but this one's another yawner. Another wasted 10-story building - when it could have been part of a larger project. Boooooring.
It could be, but 10 stories isn't too horrible.. Just hoping the building design is good, which I am sure it will be since their other project across the street is pretty cool. I am excited about the W hotel that will be in the building.. the new brand seems like it will be a nice fit for Milwaukee.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #706
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,666
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
I'm all for development, but this one's another yawner. Another wasted 10-story building - when it could have been part of a larger project. Boooooring.
Why am I not surprised to hear that come from you??? You can't always have 30+ story buildings in Milwaukee's CBD. I would be more disappointed that none of the other Park East projects (minus the 6/12 building) are proposed or approved with a taller height. Those parcels of land are much larger and could have held a larger complex/building more-so than the riverfront piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
It could be, but 10 stories isn't too horrible.. Just hoping the building design is good, which I am sure it will be since their other project across the street is pretty cool. I am excited about the W hotel that will be in the building.. the new brand seems like it will be a nice fit for Milwaukee.
It's not a W Hotel that's locating there - its an offshoot called "Aloft". Honestly it sounds cheap IMO. I would personally have preferred a W Hotel myself.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #707
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
It's not a W Hotel that's locating there - its an offshoot called "Aloft". Honestly it sounds cheap IMO. I would personally have preferred a W Hotel myself.
Its under the W hotel brand
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #708
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,666
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Its under the W hotel brand
If that's the case can we beg Ruvin to just put a W Hotel in there?? I would rather see the name "W" on the building over "Aloft" anyday.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #709
MilwaukeeD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 679
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
If that's the case can we beg Ruvin to just put a W Hotel in there?? I would rather see the name "W" on the building over "Aloft" anyday.
It is really a matter of the size of the hotel. W's are bigger. ALofts are much smaller. If there was demand for a W, he would put one there. But apparently, Ruvin, or W, don't think the demand is there.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #710
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

Most likely Cramer-Krasselt was priced out of any of the various larger high-rise proposals around town, so they had little choice but to go with something smaller. If they can't afford the high rents demanded by big and tall buildings, well, then they have to go with something more in line with what they can afford...same as any other business or resident. They also apparently wanted to be one of the primary anchor tenants at their new location...something that wouldn't have been possible at any of the larger high-rise proposals. They expressed those concerns very early on in their search process.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #711
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,666
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
It is really a matter of the size of the hotel. W's are bigger. ALofts are much smaller. If there was demand for a W, he would put one there. But apparently, Ruvin, or W, don't think the demand is there.
Does anyone think that's a sign that the hotel boom for Milwaukee is coming to an end?
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #712
Oshkosh49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 476
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Does anyone think that's a sign that the hotel boom for Milwaukee is coming to an end?
Well if that's the case, then it doesn't bode well for the Ghazi proposal at 401 W. Wisconsin, now does it.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #713
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
Well if that's the case, then it doesn't bode well for the Ghazi proposal at 401 W. Wisconsin, now does it.
but there was supposed to be good news today!!!!!!
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #714
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,666
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
Well if that's the case, then it doesn't bode well for the Ghazi proposal at 401 W. Wisconsin, now does it.
Then I recant my previous comment, considering that Markitect said it's moving forward thru committees. The only reason why I popped the question was because if Ruvin, W Hotels, or both decided that the Milwaukee hotel market wasn't one deserving of a "larger version" W Hotel, thus putting in the "smaller version" Aloft Hotel - it doesn't sound bright for new hotel proposals.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #715
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Does anyone think that's a sign that the hotel boom for Milwaukee is coming to an end?
No.. and it is still under the W brand which is well respected. I don't know where you are getting your negative feelings towards the aloft brand. It just means that there may not be at this time enough room for higher end hotels. Plus Ruvin doesn't want to compete with their other project across the street which includes a higher end W-like hotel
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #716
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,666
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
No.. and it is still under the W brand which is well respected. I don't know where you are getting your negative feelings towards the aloft brand. It just means that there may not be at this time enough room for higher end hotels. Plus Ruvin doesn't want to compete with their other project across the street which includes a higher end W-like hotel
I wouldn't call them negative feelings....I just get a bad vibe from the name Aloft - it's not catchy and well....not to split hairs but it sounds like a wannabe ritz carlton or something....

But I see your point about the Kingston Hotel across the street...
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #717
Oshkosh49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 476
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
but there was supposed to be good news today!!!!!!
Yeah, whatever happen to that?
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #718
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
Yeah, whatever happen to that?
I was never expecting much.. I am sure it is still being worked on and hope to see it go through, but don't have high hopes for it. My biggest fear is that the longer they take, the more unlikely it will proceed.. a major component of the project [ghazi] was a hotel and although I don't think we have totally reached the hotel saturation point, I think we are getting close.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #719
Oshkosh49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 476
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
I was never expecting much.. I am sure it is still being worked on and hope to see it go through, but don't have high hopes for it. My biggest fear is that the longer they take, the more unlikely it will proceed.. a major component of the project [ghazi] was a hotel and although I don't think we have totally reached the hotel saturation point, I think we are getting close.
But isn't that the goofy thing about Ghazi's proposal. They proposed their development way back in 2005. Meanwhile, 3 or 4 other hotel/condo/retail projects have since been proposed, or been approved, or are now under construction. The problem is now whether their project is even feasible considering the increased competition coming onto the market within the next couple years. Even their Website is hardly ever updated. Makes you wonder about their competence.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #720
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

The Ghazi proposal is listed on the agenda for this month's Zoning & Neighborhood Development Committee meeting...so you'll likely hear more about it then. The Redevelopment Authority's Land Disposition Report on the project is up for approval by the ZND, after which it would then be sent to the full Common Council for approval, which opens the door for the City to sell the land to Ghazi.
Markitect no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium