daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #721
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

great news about the hotel and office building ......
i might be crazy but wasn't it rumored that a W hotel would occupy space in Lake Pointe Tower ???? if any one knows......

Glendale estimates savings in fire service switch
Leaving North Shore for Milwaukee would save $7.6 million in 7 years, city report finds
By MARIE ROHDE
[email protected]
Posted: March 6, 2007

Glendale - City taxpayers could save $7.6 million over seven years if Glendale contracts with Milwaukee for fire and emergency medical services and severs its ties with the North Shore Fire Department, according to a city report released this week.

By The Numbers

$12,276,418
North Shore Fire Department budget for 2007
$2,973,159
Glendale's contribution

27.67%
Glendale's portion of the 2007 budget

32%
Glendale's expected portion of the 2013 budget because of increased commercial development

38.4%
2006 percentage of North Shore ambulance fees collected from Glendale

Milwaukee would keep a fire station in Glendale, although it might be at a different location, and provide the same amount of equipment under the terms of the proposal.

The issue is a hot topic in Glendale, where North Shore firefighters have been going door to door, distributing brochures opposing the move.

Advocates of the Milwaukee contract say they fear decisions will be based on emotions rather than facts.

City residents will be able to vote April 3 in an advisory referendum on the proposal, with a yes vote favoring a contract with Milwaukee.

The Glendale Common Council, which appears to be almost evenly split on the issue, is expected to vote on this issue April 9.

Milwaukee provides services for one other community, West Milwaukee.

The North Shore Fire Department disputes Glendale's numbers, saying the savings would not be as great as predicted.

But City Administrator Richard Maslowski said the projected savings are conservative, based on information provided by the two fire departments.

The figures also predict slightly better response times if Milwaukee does the job.

Glendale taxpayers would save at least $871,170 - 24% - and the savings would increase annually, the figures show.

The average home in Glendale is assessed at $200,000, and the savings would result in a city tax reduction of at least $140 a year, Maslowski said.
Paramedics in Glendale

Milwaukee has agreed to create a new paramedic unit - the 13th for the department - that would be housed in Glendale.

The North Shore department has two paramedic units, one stationed in Whitefish Bay and the other in Brown Deer.

The paramedic unit would respond to all emergency medical calls in Glendale, but non-life-threatening cases would be transported by Paratech, a private ambulance service that served Glendale from 1992 to 1995 and also provided basic life support service to the North Shore department in its first year. It is now the backup service for the entire North Shore.

The Milwaukee Fire Department was ranked as the third-best provider of emergency medical services in the nation in a survey done by USA Today.

The ranking included both the paramedics and the private ambulance services, and a major factor was the survival rate of patients who were in full cardiac arrest. No study has been done of suburban departments that would provide a comparison.

The North Shore Fire Department was formed in 1995 when seven communities - Glendale, Whitefish Bay, Shorewood, Bayside, Fox Point, River Hills and Brown Deer - merged their emergency services and became the statewide model of communities working together to provide better services at a savings for taxpayers.

The formula for how much each community now pays is based on property values, excluding land; population; and the number of calls made within each community. Commercial property is counted at twice the cost of residential, and industrial is counted at three times.

i hope the city gets some revenue if this happens.....
miltown no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #722
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
great news about the hotel and office building ......
i might be crazy but wasn't it rumored that a W hotel would occupy space in Lake Pointe Tower ???? if any one knows......
Actually I believe a Westin Hotel was supposed to be a tenant at LPT. All these different brands is driving me mad
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #723
miltown
urban informant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Actually I believe a Westin Hotel was supposed to be a tenant at LPT. All these different brands is driving me mad
i agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #724
brewcityfan

The funny part of all of this is....all the hotels that have been named to enter the Milwaukee market (as a result of new construction or ownership changing names) is basically the same concept just different prices and slightly different rooms! Like this whole W/Aloft/Westin scenario....I've been to both the Westin and W Hotel in Chicago and honestly the only big difference to me was dollar signs and better room service at the Westin. Oh, and also Sheraton belongs to the same group as those too!

Then you got the Holiday Inn with brands Crowne Plaza, InterContinental, and Staybridge Suites popping up.

And of course you can't forget about Marriott with their Courtyard and a proposed Renassiance ClubSport in the Third Ward. Why Marriott built their namesake hotel out in Waukesha is beyond me...
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #725
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
The Ghazi proposal is listed on the agenda for this month's Zoning & Neighborhood Development Committee meeting...so you'll likely hear more about it then. The Redevelopment Authority's Land Disposition Report on the project is up for approval by the ZND, after which it would then be sent to the full Common Council for approval, which opens the door for the City to sell the land to Ghazi.
Markitect, how frequently does Milwaukee's Common Council conducts these committee hearings, once a month, once every three months?
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #726
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49
Markitect, how frequently does Milwaukee's Common Council conducts these committee hearings, once a month, once every three months?
Once a month, at least. Sometimes more. But there are also other City agencies which the developers must work with..Department of City Development, City Planning Commission, sometimes the Board of Zoning Appeals, the Redevelopment Authority to name a few. Not to mention stuff on the private end as well.

Quote:
But isn't that the goofy thing about Ghazi's proposal. They proposed their development way back in 2005.
They proposed their development in 2006, actually. About a year ago.

Last edited by Markitect; March 8th, 2007 at 01:49 AM.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #727
MilwaukeeD

Ok, first of all, the fact that an ALoft is being proposed does not mean that the hotel market is slowing down. This is an ADDITIONAL hotel, on top of the other 8-9 already announced. Just because it isn't a giant hotel isn't a bad thing. We need all sizes of hotels.

Second, I do not think this will hurt Ghazi's chances of having a hotel. They are across from the convention center. They have the absolute best location for a hotel of all of the hotel proposals.

Manpower is coming downtown. Harley-Davidson is opening a museum. Potawatomi is expanding. Hopefully Red Prairie soon. There will be a demand for hotel rooms. This stuff all snowballs.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #728
Oshkosh49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Once a month, at least. Sometimes more. But there are also other City agencies which the developers must work with..Department of City Development, City Planning Commission, sometimes the Board of Zoning Appeals, the Redevelopment Authority to name a few. Not to mention stuff on the private end as well.
Okay, so here's a wild and crazy idea. Couldn't there be a more streamlined method for developers to get their project approved by having all of the city agencies conduct a "joint session" where they're all together in a room at one time? Like for example on the third Thursday of every month. Or is that just totally impractical?
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #729
brewcityfan

I never thought of it that way. I wonder which hotel brand Ghazi has planned for its building...
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #730
Markitect

Quote:
Couldn't there be a more streamlined method for developers to get their project approved by having all of the city agencies conduct a "joint session" where they're all together in a room at one time? Like for example on the third Thursday of every month. Or is that just totally impractical?
Given that the agencies/committees usually deal with different issues at different times in the evolution of a proposal makes a "joint session" impractical.
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #731
brewcityfan

What I don't understand is why Milwaukee needs so many different committees to handle a certain subject such as development? The Dept. of City Development, Redevelopment Committee, and Planning Commission all sound like the same thing.
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #732
nevee1
TownTown

I believe you nailed MilwaukeeD. That would be prime location !
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #733
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
What I don't understand is why Milwaukee needs so many different committees to handle a certain subject such as development? The Dept. of City Development, Redevelopment Committee, and Planning Commission all sound like the same thing.
They don't do the same things. The Department of City Development is a department of the city government. They take in land sale requests, zoning change requests, etc. If it meets the goals of the city/department, they send those requests on to the proper public bodies.

The Redevelopment Authority (land sales, eminent domain, TIF) and Plan Commission (zoning and land use) are bodies used to conduct public hearings. Their members are lay people appointed to their position. They make a recommendation to the Council based on the testimony given by the Department of City Development and the general public.

The Council then has committees made up of 5 of the aldermen to conduct another public hearing on the issue and then that committee makes a recommendation to the full Common Council.

It is necessary to allow the public to have input. You also wouldn't want all of the power to be held by one joint committee, you need checks and balances. Also, you can't have all of the aldermen attend every meeting on every issue (zoning changes, police issues, liquor licenses, etc.) so you have to divide it into committees to make recommendations.

Could this be streamlined somewhat? Probably. But if everything falls into place, you can get approval from all necessary bodies in about 4 weeks. That isn't prohibitively long. And each of the different bodies has a specific thing that are looking at, whether it be the land sale portion of the project or the zoning of the project. Everyone can't be experts in everything.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #734
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 651

Quote:
And of course you can't forget about Marriott with their Courtyard and a proposed Renassiance ClubSport in the Third Ward. Why Marriott built their namesake hotel out in Waukesha is beyond me...
I spent a day last summer on the boat of a Regional VP of somethingorother for Marriott who was a friend of my boss. I grilled him that afternoon about that question and other related subjects. He told me that they have looked at Milwaukee several times in the past 10 years and he said that each time Marcus was the big road block. I don't know if that meant politically, perceived market saturation at the time, or whatever. But that was his reply to that question.
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #735
usbmfa

Likes (Received): 40

411 building got some height today. Sorry no pics, but you can't miss it next time you're down town. I think that is what should have done to the USBank building. It would lool a lot better than the current ugly signs.
usbmfa no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #736
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4269

Also, the Holiday Inn downtown is becoming a Doubletree soon.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #737
miltown
urban informant

a couple articles

Milwaukee's Wi-Fi project behind schedule

The long-delayed demonstration area for a citywide wireless computer network is at least another three to four months away from being ready, a top city official told Milwaukee aldermen this afternoon.

The city had initially hoped the area, west of downtown near Marquette University, would be done nearly a year ago. After final negotiations with the private company building the network dragged on, a September agreement called for the initial area to be running by mid-January.

Randy Gschwind, the city's point person on the project, told a Common Council committee today that the project has faced technical issues as well as bureaucratic ones. He said that Milwaukee-based Midwest Fiber Networks continues to work to get the system built.

"I admit to some wild-eyed optimism at the beginning as to how quickly it would go," said Gschwind, later adding: "This has been a long, slow slog. We're going to get there. I promise we will get there."

Gschwind noted that the city is mainly in a role of facilitating the project, which is being paid for by Midwest Fiber Networks and its backers. In fact, the city derives some financial benefit from the deal, such as for the placement of cables in the city's underground conduit system and antenna on street lights and other city-owned structures.

Other companies could pursue a similar deal.

"We're not purchasing anything," Gschwind said. "We're letting a company come in and build something."

Several aldermen expressed frustration with the delays, especially those who represent the area where the trial segment would begin: Aldermen Bob Bauman and Michael Murphy.

"Either this company is incompetent, or there is a serious bureaucratic logjam," said Bauman. "I don't know which it is."

Third Ward Pub will make world's largest Reuben
small biz times

For the second consecutive year, The Wicked Hop in Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward will build and serve "The World's Largest Reuben Sandwich" on its outdoor sidewalk patio on St. Patrick's Day.
The restaurant, which is located at 345 North Broadway, will serve the classic with a warm combination of in Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward, for the second year in a row, will build and serve "The World's Largest Reuben Sandwich" on its outdoor sidewalk patio.
The proceeds from the sales on Saturday, March 17, will go to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) of Wisconsin.
"Our creation will again be over four feet wide by five feet long by eight inches thick, weigh in excess of 400 pounds and be constructed out of roughly 100 pounds of corned beef, 80 pounds of sauerkraut, 40 pounds of Swiss cheese and three gallons of thousand island dressing. And don't forget the two monster slices of custom-baked rye bread," said Miles O'Neil, owner of The Wicked Hop. "It'll be slightly bigger than last year's, but the real feat will be to make it even tastier. I don't know it that's possible."
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #738
Markitect

Updated info on the Ghazi mixed-use hotel proposal for the 4th and Wisconsin site:

175-room hotel (operator unknown yet)
200 condos (down significantly from original conceptual proposal)
100,000 sqft of retail/entertainment/office space (no committed tenants yet, in talks with some undisclosed potential tenants)
31 stories

Redevelopment Authority is to vote on approving a purchase option for Ghazi at meeting this Thursday. The purchase option would allow Ghazi some time to obtain financing.

Linkage to the Journal Sentinel article: Downtown hotel proposal refined - Wisconsin Ave. plan includes 200 condos
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #739
brewcityfan

That's good news for the site. 31 stories ain't a bad number at all. How tall is the Milwaukee Hilton next door to it? Hopefully there will be some height difference unlike the US Bank/LPT situation.

Also Wisconsin Ave. near the Midwest Airlines Center could use some more decent resturaunts and entertainment space. Maybe the Grand Avenue can get some needed retail assistance!

And finally once again I'll say Milwaukee needs some taller buildings outside of the Wisconsin Ave./Prospect Ave. corridors. I'm still hoping for Block 6 and 12, and for any land still left in the Park East to get some decent bids/options.
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #740
Oshkosh49

Quote:
That's good news for the site. 31 stories ain't a bad number at all. How tall is the Milwaukee Hilton next door to it? Hopefully there will be some height difference unlike the US Bank/LPT situation.

Also Wisconsin Ave. near the Midwest Airlines Center could use some more decent resturaunts and entertainment space. Maybe the Grand Avenue can get some needed retail assistance!

And finally once again I'll say Milwaukee needs some taller buildings outside of the Wisconsin Ave./Prospect Ave. corridors. I'm still hoping for Block 6 and 12, and for any land still left in the Park East to get some decent bids/options.
According to the Emporis Website, the Hilton Milwaukee City Center building was built in 1927. It's 25 stories and 274 feet tall. A little furthur down the street to the west is the Wisconsin Tower building. That was built in 1930 and is 23 stories and 280 feet tall. So before 1960, the three tallest buildings in Milwaukee were the Milwaukee City Hall at 15 stories and 353 feet, the Wisconsin Tower, and the Hilton Milwaukee City Center. I know it's more than you wanted to know, but it's early in the morning and I've got nothing better to do.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/s...t=2&ht=3&sro=1

Closed Thread