daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #741
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Updated info on the Ghazi mixed-use hotel proposal for the 4th and Wisconsin site:

175-room hotel (operator unknown yet)
200 condos (down significantly from original conceptual proposal)
100,000 sqft of retail/entertainment/office space (no committed tenants yet, in talks with some undisclosed potential tenants)
31 stories

Redevelopment Authority is to vote on approving a purchase option for Ghazi at meeting this Thursday. The purchase option would allow Ghazi some time to obtain financing.

Linkage to the Journal Sentinel article: Downtown hotel proposal refined - Wisconsin Ave. plan includes 200 condos
Thank you for the update Markitect. It is good to see that it's still a viable possibility. Still a ton of hurdles to jump over as the article points out. The good thing is that even with the smaller size of the project, ($120,000,000, down from the original $200,000,000, I believe) it didn't lose its height of 31 stories. I do think Ghazi may have difficulty trying to sell 200 condos in that part of downtown, however. But I could be totally wrong on that point.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #742
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
I do think Ghazi may have difficulty trying to sell 200 condos in that part of downtown, however. But I could be totally wrong on that point.
He may have a little difficulty, but I think they'll sell em. This development could help spur on that area of downtown and force the midwest center to finally expand!!!! maybe.....

and i saw yesterday that the mayors transit plan ent thru a steering and rules comitee and brought it one step closer to doing the study of the plan, i guess?...

Last edited by miltown; March 9th, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #743
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

The Small Business Times has another article about the revised Ghazi proposal, plus a rendering.

^Similar to the earlier version, it is a U-shaped building; with a 25-to-31-story condo tower (depending on the demand for units) and a 15-story hotel tower, with a public plaza in between the towers.

More here: Another hotel proposal arises for site near convention center

Last edited by Markitect; March 9th, 2007 at 09:00 PM.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #744
NeuBrew

Quote:
The Small Business Times has another article about the revised Ghazi proposal, plus a rendering.

^Similar to the earlier version, it is a U-shaped building; with a 25-to-31-story condo tower (depending on the demand for units) and a 15-story hotel tower, with a public plaza in between the towers.

More here: Another hotel proposal arises for site near convention center
That really needs to be built, it offers a unique flair for the Milwaukee skyline. Plus, it's an ideal location for convention visitors.
NeuBrew no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #745
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

A nice looking rendering. What angle is that looking at, I can't figure it out?
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #746
Markitect

Left side = view looking southeast looking at both towers
Right side = view looking south at plaza between the two towers
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #747
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 213

Now that's a beautiful building!!! Makes me even think Building 6 and 12 that was proposed should be tweaked a bit. It sets a new caliber of design for the city that's for sure. Also, I like the idea of two towers instead of just one - it'll hopefully add to the density of the CBD.

After reading the article presented - ESPN Zone or Fox Sports Grill would be a great addition to downtown. But then I wonder - if the Water St. resturaunts opposed a House of Blues, what's stopping them from complaining about this? This better not become disappointing....
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #748
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
After reading the article presented - ESPN Zone or Fox Sports Grill would be a great addition to downtown. But then I wonder - if the Water St. resturaunts opposed a House of Blues, what's stopping them from complaining about this? This better not become disappointing....
No direct city assistance at this point
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #749
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

I think that this is also less direct competition than the Pabst proposal. You can walk easily from 4th and Wisconsin to the north Water area without having to go through a wasteland or anything, so customers might migrate back and forth between the two.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #750
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Does anyone know who the architect for the Ghazi proposal is?
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #751
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-københavn View Post
I think that this is also less direct competition than the Pabst proposal. You can walk easily from 4th and Wisconsin to the north Water area without having to go through a wasteland or anything, so customers might migrate back and forth between the two.
So would you say a House of Blues or a Hard Rock Cafe can work in Milwaukee as long as its within walking distance of Water St?
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #752
miltown
urban informant

i really like the design of this new plan, the old design wasn't bad but i think the new design pays more attention to the Hilton and will be a great asset to the skyline, it would be nice to see a skyline picture with this building included....

(old design)

(new design)
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #753
nevee1
TownTown

Either one of these tower designs Will be a great asset to the area. I think it's great !
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #754
Markitect

The dramatic change in design comes from the fact that the number of condos was cut in half, from 400 units originally to 200 units currently (developers must have figured market conditions wouldn't handle such a huge amount of condos all in a single project).

I liked the way the old design had something to form a "backdrop" for the small courtyard along Wisconsin Avenue. The new design lacks that substantial feature and leaves the ugly backside of the adjacent parking garage rather exposed with only a small ground-level piece that connects the hotel and condo towers.
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #755
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

I just noticed the Q & B sign IS LIT UP on 411 East! Looks very sharp! I'll grab a pic here a bit after dinner.

Pardon the lack of clarity, taken sans-tripod.
Zoomed in:

Zoomed out:

Last edited by ClarkWGriswald; March 10th, 2007 at 03:52 AM.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #756
miltown
urban informant

Quote:
I liked the way the old design had something to form a "backdrop" for the small courtyard along Wisconsin Avenue. The new design lacks that substantial feature and leaves the ugly backside of the adjacent parking garage rather exposed with only a small ground-level piece that connects the hotel and condo towers.

You're right, i hope they tweak the design a little to cover up that ugly parking garage or maybe the garage owners can add some design features to it??
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #757
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Lights

Thank you CWG for the second picture. I love skylines when the tall buildings are lit up. Now that there's a lit up sign on Q & B, I can tell that there's a building there at night. I also adore the Blue Northwestern Mutual lights. I hope that they're planning on leaving those up year round. Now all we need to do is get lights on the top of the Milwaukee Center.
PS - Does anyone know if the University Club crown will be lit?
ajknee no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #758
brewcityfan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
You're right, i hope they tweak the design a little to cover up that ugly parking garage or maybe the garage owners can add some design features to it??
I don't know if I'm blind here, so pardon for my stupid question. But where is the parking lot in either of the renderings?? I thought that there was supposed to be open public walkways/landscaping between the hotel and the entertainment/condo building?

Either way I do agree that the parking structure, wherever it may go, should be decent in design - with either a classy structure or have it covered up by something.
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #759
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
I don't know if I'm blind here, so pardon for my stupid question. But where is the parking lot in either of the renderings?? I thought that there was supposed to be open public walkways/landscaping between the hotel and the entertainment/condo building?

Either way I do agree that the parking structure, wherever it may go, should be decent in design - with either a classy structure or have it covered up by something.

There is an existing parking structure on the southern half of the block. On the right-side rendering, the garage can be seen in the background, behind the white-colored piece (maybe 3 or 4 stories tall) that connects the two towers together at the back of the courtyard in the center of the drawing.

While the neighboring parking garage won't really be visible from the courtyard at all, that short connecting piece between the two towers just seems rather awkward looking. It should be more significant, beefed up just a bit, to give some bulk to the overall project. As it is now, that connecting piece at the rear of the courtyard just seems kind of tacked on, as opposed to being one component of a cohesive design.

The parking structure that would be built as part of Ghazi's proposal (not to be confused with the existing structure to the south, which is not part of the development) is built into the podium upon which the tall condo tower sits (another awkward part of the design).
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #760
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

At night you can see the new sign well from the Harley Camera.

http://www.h-dmuseum.oxblue.com/?HDC...bmLocale=en_US

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  

Closed Thread