daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #801
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
The whole Wells/Plankinton/2nd Street triangle is woefully undertilized. I work in the Germania building so I walk every day through this depressing corner of Downtown Milwaukee. If we could develop the open lots behind the Grand theater, the parking lot on the NW corner of Wells/2nd, and the parking lot on the SW corner of Wells/Plankinton, the "Postman Square" area could really come alive and be a real hive of activity in Downtown Milwaukee. Unfortunately we've got a number of landowners there sitting on their parking lots right now.
those parking lots should be taken by emminent domain,
and may have to be one day.
mohammed wong no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #802
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Last night channel 4 had a spot about the Ghazi project, which I missed, but on the preceding blurb they suggested a Hard Rock Cafe was being looked at. That doesn't have the cache it used to, but it does show how far Milwaukee has come. I'd rather have a House of Blues.
The fox6 link has video of the rendering and the channel 4 story is on their website
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #803
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Last night channel 4 had a spot about the Ghazi project, which I missed, but on the preceding blurb they suggested a Hard Rock Cafe was being looked at. That doesn't have the cache it used to, but it does show how far Milwaukee has come. I'd rather have a House of Blues.
I still have my fingers crossed for an ESPN Zone.
D-res no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #804
mbradleyc
This is getting good

Location: My heart is in Milwaukee, my soul is in Bristol, but my ass is stuck in Lake County.
Likes (Received): 4269

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
The fox6 link has video of the rendering and the channel 4 story is on their website
My work computer can't run that video. It's a security thing.

Okay, I just saw the article on wtmj and the guy is looking at putting all three in there. Cool! And it seems that approval is moving along. It also says it won't be finished until 2011?!? That can't be right.

Last edited by mbradleyc; March 16th, 2007 at 08:33 PM.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #805
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

The chase parking structure is great news. That will be a nice addition to the skyline. I thought renovations were dead on that site but someone wised up.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #806
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 206

From WTMJ
Quote:
City O.K.'s 31-Story Hotel Tower
Gary Reistad
MILWAUKEE - A city agency gave a developer the green light Thursday to proceed with plans for a 31-story hotel and condo at 4th and Wisconsin. The downtown project could also include restaurants such as Hard Rock Café, ESPN Zone and House of Blues.

The tower would be built on what is now a city-owned parking lot at the southwest corner of 4th and Wisconsin. That's on the west end of The Shops of Grand Avenue mall, and just south of the Midwest Airlines Center

The tower would include a 175-room hotel, 200 condos and 100,000 square feet of retail, entertainment and office space.

At VISIT Milwaukee, the tourism bureau, president Doug Neilson said the restaurants would give a much-needed boost to the convention center area.

“Right where the meetings are taking place, there’s a real lack of energy and excitement,” he said.

Milwaukee's Redevelopment Authority gave the project a green light Thursday, but it still needs to be approved by the mayor and the Common Council.

Developer Afshin Ghazi of North Carolina can now start courting tenants for the $120 million project.

Ghazi conceded this idea is not a sure thing. "Timing is everything in real estate," said Ghazi. "We’ll find out if my timing is right, or not, soon enough."

If the tower makes it, Neilson has high hopes for the high rise. "You’ve got to create more reasons to come downtown," he said. "That’s what this does," he said.

Ghazi would have to pay the high price to clean up some environment problems on the lot. For that reason, the city plans on selling the property for just $1. The Redevelopment Authority said it is too early in the planning phase to discuss tax breaks.

Two other hotel projects proposed at the same site stopped, before the first shovel went in the ground, for financial reasons.

Ghazi hopes to have the tower completed in 2011.
I'm EXTREMELY excited about this proposal. HRC, HoB, and ESPN Zone!? I feel almost negative by saying this - but can that land hold all 3 restaurants!? And well, with HoB and HRC named - what will Water Street say?? Remember everyone - they're the ones (along with the Rave) who complained and protested and stomped their feet all over PabstCity. This proposal looks exactly like PabstCity but more condensed.

Expect a business/retail/entertainment war looming over this gentlemen. Let's hope the Common Council doesn't fail on us again.

As for the Chase parking structure - I apologize for saying 24 stories. I was getting ready for work, glanced at it, and saw 24.

If all of these projects get the OK from the city, I think we can all be smiles when we go downtown and see a ton of cranes there.

My only advice to Milwaukee would be: THINK POSITIVE! and THINK CHICAGOLAND! With these developments along with the current Illinois flow into the city, its only bound to increase. Don't reject the truth.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #807
honest86
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 12

Did it look like there might be a green roof on top of the chase parking lot?
honest86 no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #808
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Old March 17th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #809
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:

Also, there was a plan to replace the post office several years ago, but after 9-11 there was no money for it. Eventually it will happen. I think the new office park in the Menominee Valley is the ideal location for it. I hope it happens soon. That beast is a blight, sitting on what should be some of the most valuable land in the state.
I hope they can move it to the valley or else they would probably move it close to the airport staying close to the highway, i agree that is going to be very valuable land if the Amtrak intermodal station is used how people are envisioning it.......
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #810
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
I hope they can move it to the valley or else they would probably move it close to the airport staying close to the highway, i agree that is going to be very valuable land if the Amtrak intermodal station is used how people are envisioning it.......
There already is a post office by the airport though. Are you saying close the downtown one and move everything to the airport??
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #811
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

That was one of the proposals. There'd still be a small post office somewhere downtown, though.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #812
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Regarding the Chase Structure...I posted this on UrbanMilwaukee too, but I'll repost here.

i hate to be a downer about this project. but.

1) that building is f'in ugly.
2) i am highly doubtful that someone in milwaukee does a $100 million project without asking for TIF.
3) where is the office tenant coming from? same problem that ovation, lake pointe, etc. all have no tenant.

don't get me wrong, i hate that parking deck and want to see something better there. i am just a little leary of this plan.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #813
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
Regarding the Chase Structure...I posted this on UrbanMilwaukee too, but I'll repost here.

i hate to be a downer about this project. but.

1) that building is f'in ugly.
2) i am highly doubtful that someone in milwaukee does a $100 million project without asking for TIF.
3) where is the office tenant coming from? same problem that ovation, lake pointe, etc. all have no tenant.

don't get me wrong, i hate that parking deck and want to see something better there. i am just a little leary of this plan.
1) Initial Design
2) They aren't someone from Milwaukee
3) Chase may be needing extra space soon
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #814
D-res
BANNED

The chase structure is good news however I'll throw a big plus one on that design.
D-res no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #815
brewcityfan

So let me get this straight....the Ruvin hotel project with Sydney Hih is an awesome building, and this one isn't??? Interesting.....
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #816
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
So let me get this straight....the Ruvin hotel project with Sydney Hih is an awesome building, and this one isn't??? Interesting.....
no, i think the ruvin project is pretty awful as well. it will be good for about...3 years. and then it will be immediately dated. we need things that will stand the test of time, not buildings that we are doing just because engineers can figure out how to make them not fall down.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #817
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Brady Street

Just a random picture to throw in the mix... thought you guys would like it.

image hosted on flickr
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #818
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1236

Brewery on the Move

Thought you all might want to see this. For many more, go to Urban Milwaukee.... Boatnurd's "Grab Bag".....

http://com5.runboard.com/burbanmilwa...44%7Coffset=10

Old March 18th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #819
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1236

The City Bird... "The Crane"

Old March 18th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #820
UWMilwaukeeJay

The 31 story tower " hope to be finished" by 2011. Yikes!
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  

Closed Thread