daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #841
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77 View Post
The thing I like about the Chase thing is that it is a building with a bit of uniqueness. I haven't seen a building that looks like it.
I completely agree. The first time I looked at it, I thought "What an odd looking building." Then, I had to keep going back to look at it. It's really unique, and while it will definitely be deemed ugly by some people, it'll help Milwaukee's collection of architectural styles grow.

So, that being said, I still feel that if Milwaukee can support only one new office building it should be Block 6 - 12. I love that building more than any of these other proposals, including Lake Pointe and Ghazi.

Last edited by ajknee; March 19th, 2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Grammar
ajknee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #842
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

I'm happy about the Chase and the Ghazi proposals, because they represent two national developers who have decided to pursue major, $100M+ projects in the city of Milwaukee. We don't know yet if these developments will get built in their current incarnation. But the development game in a lot of ways involves throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. It's a positive sign that Milwaukee is now included in that wall that these national developers are tossing their proposals at.
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #843
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

good news for a local company

Cousins to double Milwaukee stores
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - March 16, 2007by Rich Kirchen

After a couple of earlier efforts produced limited results, Cousins Submarines is pursuing a new plan to double the number of restaurants in its chain, including opening up to 70 more locations in the Milwaukee area.

Cousins currently ranks second in the number of sub shop locations in the Milwaukee market behind Subway, which has about 170, said John Campbell, Cousins vice president of franchising and chief development officer.

Campbell, 59, who has 35 years of experience in the fast food business, is leading the charge for the Menomonee Falls-based purveyor of "Better Bread. Better Subs." Campbell has scouted sites and found franchisees for the likes of Papa John's, Dunkin Donuts and Arby's. He is also a longtime business acquaintance of John Pryor, who has been president of Cousins since December 2004.

Cousins management announced in 2003 a goal of opening more than 60 stores in Dallas, Denver and Minneapolis-St. Paul. Only two locations have opened in Dallas and the two in Denver have closed. The company has 10 locations in the Twin Cities.

Pryor set a goal in September 2005 of expanding Cousins' presence in Phoenix, which is on track, and doubling the number of locations overall from 176, which hasn't happened. The chain now has 168.

Campbell, who joined Cousins in July 2006, acknowledged recent forays into expanding the store base "have not been successful." Cousins worked with developers who weren't adequately funded, he said, and that hurt the effort.

"My job is to bring it to the next level," Campbell said.

That means doubling or tripling the number of Cousins within the next five years, he said.

More stores
Cousins is owned by the Specht and Sheppard families that founded it 35 years ago with one location on Milwaukee's northwest side.

The plan is to recruit franchisees and create more company-owned stores within a 400-mile radius of Milwaukee, plus in Arizona, where the company started in the mid-1990s, Campbell said.

The franchise fee is $25,000 and franchisees also pay for building out space for a 1,600-square -foot Cousins at an average cost of $150,000 to $200,000.

Cousins will open 25 locations this year, including three in the Milwaukee area, Campbell said. The company has secured leases for the Milwaukee-area locations and is advertising for franchisees.

In the fast-growing Phoenix area, Cousins has just signed a developer that will open four locations this year, eight in 2008 and one per month the following year, Campbell said. The company also will expand into Indianapolis and western Wisconsin and add locations in the Fox Valley, he said.

An expansion by Cousins is "great news" for the Milwaukee retail development industry, especially strip malls, said Peter Glaser, vice president of CB Richard Ellis in Milwaukee.

"They have such a presence here already, it will be a matter of finding gaps in the market," he said.
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #844
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
...the development game in a lot of ways involves throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. It's a positive sign that Milwaukee is now included in that wall that these national developers are tossing their proposals at.
This has got to be one of the funniest things I've read! But yes, it's good to be recognized as having potential by people from outside of our area.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #845
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

From today's JS:
Quote:
Rally promotes city aid to Park East project
Developer says he will scale back without funds
By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: March 19, 2007
A group of labor and community activists rallied Monday to seek city financial help for a Park East development, saying it would provide family-supporting construction jobs.

Supporters of the Good Jobs and Livable Neighborhoods Coalition said that city funds, to be repaid through the development's property taxes, are needed to help Chicago-based RSC & Associates build Park East Square.

"We are ready to work. But we need City Hall to do its part," said Pam Fendt, coalition director, to around 200 people at the rally. It took place at the proposed development site, a county-owned parcel in the Park East area, on downtown's northern edge.

Park East Square's $77 million first phase would include 126 luxury apartments, a 148-room hotel and 80,000 square feet of retail and office space. It would be built on 2 acres bordered by N. Milwaukee, N. Jefferson and E. Lyon streets and E. Ogden Ave. that RSC plans to buy from Milwaukee County for $2.7 million.

RSC owner Richard Curto has assembled $14 million in equity financing and is arranging for a $54 million construction loan. Curto said he's seeking $9 million from the city but has been rebuffed by Department of City Development officials. Without that public funding, Curto said, he will shrink his plans for Park East Square.

"The goal today is to prod the city to move forward," John Jorgensen, coalition co-chairman, said at the rally.

However, Curto's proposal doesn't fit the city's master plan for the Park East area, which envisions a residential development, with a small amount of retail space, at the Milwaukee St. site, said Joel Brennan, of the Department of City Development.

Brennan said the housing development envisioned by the plan can be done without city funding.

Jorgensen, business manager for the Painters and Allied Trades, said allowing the other, smaller project "doesn't make sense."

Members of the coalition, which is funded by labor unions, churches and other organizations, said Curto's project would benefit the community because the construction jobs would pay prevailing, union-level wages. Curto also would agree to meet minority hiring requirements.

Curto and other developers who build on county-owned parcels in the Park East area are required to meet those wage and hiring goals.

Those standards, however, do not apply to developments on privately owned parcels in the Park East. That includes The North End, a housing development planned for the former Pfister & Vogel tannery site just northwest of the Park East Square site.

Mayor Tom Barrett and the Common Council in December approved $8.5 million in funding for The North End, which will have an estimated $175 million value when completed. Coalition members opposed city financing for The North End, which is being built by Mandel Group Inc.

If a developer is receiving public funds to help finance a project, then he should be required to pay prevailing wages, said Lyle Balistreri, president of the Milwaukee Building & Construction Trades Council. Otherwise, that developer is being allowed to undercut the wages and benefits of union workers, he said.

"You know, it's all about greed," said Balistreri, who's also a member of the city Plan Commission.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #846
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

F*ck the Good Jobs and Livable Neighborhoods Coalition is what I say! More bs thrown into the development process
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #847
CG5
prickly

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah! **** good jobs and livable neighborhoods! Who needs those anyway?

Sweet fancy doom, is that Chase proposal for real??! Take off the height-is-good glasses...that is AWFUL. Like, ruin-the-already-struggling-skyline awful. It is to Milwaukee what Museum Plaza is to Louisville. Only without the brand name archtiect to point at twenty years later when people are still pointing and laughing. Please tell me that's a prelim design.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #848
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4275

I miss Suburpia. They were good.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #849
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
Sweet fancy doom, is that Chase proposal for real??! Take off the height-is-good glasses...that is AWFUL. Like, ruin-the-already-struggling-skyline awful. It is to Milwaukee what Museum Plaza is to Louisville. Only without the brand name archtiect to point at twenty years later when people are still pointing and laughing. Please tell me that's a prelim design.
I agree, it looks like a hideous cross between a spaceship and a municipal trash receptacle.

What I don't get about this proposal is this: why wouldn't they just tear down the existing parking structure? Wouldn't it cost just as much, if not more, to prepare the existing structure to have 24 stories on top of it than it would to just tear it down and build new? Is the existing parking structure that valuable that it warrents saving?
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #850
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post

I like the Louisville project as a rough draft with the architect moving around building masses. I can't imagine that as the final product.

The new Chase is hideous. Look at the rendering and notice the point at which the building tapers to the top floor. That floor just below the tapering lines up with the top floor of the existing Chase building. This makes the new version look like the old one wearing a birthday hat. It's just another example of an architect sculpting the sight lines and profile. I don't think (I hope) the final massing will
be this absurd and top heavy.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #851
historybuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
And so are your obvious rageaholic smears.
Again, and you are who exactly.. ???

Marcus' actions and his current hypocritical public statements about the Park East are in the public record... so by your logic everything in the public record (factual) is rage or smear?

--> Plain and simple: Every time you respond to me you keep Marcus' hypocrisy (documented in public record and recorded by the media disemminated to the public) in the present instead of it being buried in the thread.

Last edited by historybuffer; March 20th, 2007 at 11:02 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #852
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

Hate to make a plug, but here's a vision for a commercial tower by myself for the Park East parcel adjacent to the river recently purchased by Ruvin for a 10 storey tower.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...4#post12263684

That Chase thing is hideous. It's a stupid looking base with a completely unconnected (design wise) looking tower with a poor man's cut off triangular crown.
CGII no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #853
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
I like the fact that the new proposal for the chase structure dares to go taller than the current chase tower,,, i think with a little re working in the design it will be a very nice building and a great addition to the skyline, the office portion will also hopefully add jobs in Milwaukee, with chase expanding into the new tower....
I agree. This part of downtown could use something different, and the initial design isn't that bad looking. In fact, it represents a new look for Milwaukee, and, as it gets closer to reality (let's hope), I'm sure there will be some design changes. But, over all, I like it. And the condos don't seem to be priced out of whack: $250-$300K. Let's hope Ghazi envisions a similar price tag for his condos, or that proposed 31-story tower could shrink quickly.

Not to throw water on all of these proposals, but that's just what they are...proposals. With office demand tepid at best, and the condo craze reaching a saturation point (who is buying all of these condos, for goodness sake?!), I just can't see all of these projects getting built. In order, these are the ones that I'd like to see, based on what they'd bring to the skyline:
1. Lake Point Tower
2. Ghazi
3. Chase addition
4. Block 6-12

Is the Ruvin project, with the 20-story building in the Park East corridor, a done deal?
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #854
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

I'm not worried too much about the Chase proposal. If it moves forward, I'm sure Greenstreet will prevent the final product from disfiguring our skyline in such a big way.
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #855
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post

Is the Ruvin project, with the 20-story building in the Park East corridor, a done deal?
It's hard to tell from what can be gleaned through public sources of information. There hasn't been any marketing of the condo units yet, but they did move the Gipfel brewery, which means that some serious coin has been invested in this project. I did read that the Bradley Center helped pay to move the old brewery, though, to free up space for development.
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #856
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Not to throw water on all of these proposals, but that's just what they are...proposals. With office demand tepid at best, and the condo craze reaching a saturation point (who is buying all of these condos, for goodness sake?!), I just can't see all of these projects getting built. In order, these are the ones that I'd like to see, based on what they'd bring to the skyline:
1. Lake Point Tower
2. Ghazi
3. Chase addition
4. Block 6-12
Who's buying the condos??? Chicagoland and the rest of Northern Illinois, along with some Wisconsinites. Most from Chicagoland buy one for themselves and one to rent out every month. So, I don't think the condo saturation point is anywhere in our near future.

I like your order of buildings, but probably the right order of approval from the city would be....

1. Ghazi
2. Chase addition
3. Block 6-12 (if RedPrairie decides to move its HQ there)
4. Lake Pointe Tower

I wish the order would be like yours - but as of right now LPT is still finding tenants.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #857
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 672

Don't forget all the empty nesters and young professionals. Lets not give chicagoans all the credit for buying the condo's! I know many many people who have plans to buy condo's anywhere from a year from now to ten years down the road. I'm sure my cross section of freinds is just a sampling of all the people who think the same way that have yet to be tapped.
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:34 AM   #858
MilwaukeeD

I probably know a dozen people in the market for a condo right now. Just looking for the right opportunity and a couple of other things to fall in place. It might be a little slow right now, but so is the entire housing market.

It is a lifestyle choice and people who want to make that switch will do so, regardless of the market.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM   #859
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Indeed, the young professionals and empty nesters are a huge portion of condo sales. After my wife (then-fiance) graduated pharmacy school in 2004, we got sick of living in our suburban west side Madison apartment. We wanted to do something different, and saw condos in a urban location for good prices compared to other urban areas. And thats about it. I have numerous friends who currently live in apartments in the area who are getting ready to board the condo train as well. Just gathering a bit of a down payment at this time.
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:42 AM   #860
milwaukee-københavn

If only they moved that chase building two blocks east or west. I've never understood why we cluster so much when there's so much open land downtown. It would look better skyline wise if the two weren't atop one another.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  

Closed Thread