daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:05 AM   #861
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4269

I read the Staybridge Hotel project is under construction at Water and Juneau. Is that true?
mbradleyc no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:51 AM   #862
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
If only they moved that chase building two blocks east or west. I've never understood why we cluster so much when there's so much open land downtown. It would look better skyline wise if the two weren't atop one another.
What? Milwaukee has one of the most spread out skylines in the country.
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:30 AM   #863
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

I agree with Mark, Milwaukee needs to keep building along the MKE river...the board walk will benefit from this! Did the article say anything about adding retail shops @ the bottom or dining perhaps? That would be lovely. The board walk in a few years will be hoppin'. Hopefully Milwaukeens can take advantage of such a great riverwalk.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:39 AM   #864
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
What? Milwaukee has one of the most spread out skylines in the country.
But the buildings are clustered mainly around a few streets, especially Wisconsin and Water. Skyline wise, building this a block east of west would fill holes in the skyline. There are already two skyscrapers directly north of this garage., and that line of buildings continues north along Water.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:03 AM   #865
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

Welcome to reality. If you haven't noticed, downtowns tend to be collections of buildings clustered together. Milwaukee is simply unique in that it spread out laterally, forming a main street, rather than in every direction, like Cleveland or Detroit or Minneapolis.
CGII no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:04 AM   #866
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
I agree with Mark, Milwaukee needs to keep building along the MKE river...the board walk will benefit from this! Did the article say anything about adding retail shops @ the bottom or dining perhaps? That would be lovely. The board walk in a few years will be hoppin'. Hopefully Milwaukeens can take advantage of such a great riverwalk.
there is retail planned for the new building, also the existing chase tower 1st floor is going to go through a complete remodel with new construction on the wisconsin ave side to include a restaurant.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM   #867
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
But the buildings are clustered mainly around a few streets, especially Wisconsin and Water. Skyline wise, building this a block east of west would fill holes in the skyline. There are already two skyscrapers directly north of this garage., and that line of buildings continues north along Water.
Both good points, and both should be implemented. The Milwaukee River should have a smaller tower canyon through downtown - but Downtown Milwaukee needs to expand beyond Wisconsin Ave. and Water St. for all of its high rises. The Park East corridor would have been a great location for new high rises to be built due to the massive parcels of land available, but instead there will be smaller buildings built down the corridor. A big letdown, but at least it is getting filled.

Block 6 & 12 is on Water St. also - reaffirming MKE-KBH with another tower along the River.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM   #868
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

I was in a meeting this morning on the 40th floor of US Bank tower. I was able sneak off and peel off a few shots of the view with my camera, which I willl post here sometime today.

Unfortunately, it was a foggy morning, so I couldn't see much, although I could see a decent amount of the area just north of the US Bank tower. I also took a very misty view of MAM with its wings spread from 600 feet up. It was pretty neat to be up that high in Milwaukee.
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:40 PM   #869
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Check this out -- apparantly a 2002 episode of "Futurama" had the the characters go to Milwaukee, which by the year 3000 is known as the "most romantic city on earth." Here are some screenshots of how the animators forcast the city will look like the year 3000:

Last edited by milwaukeeunseen; March 21st, 2007 at 07:49 PM.
milwaukeeunseen no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM   #870
exit_320

that episode is from 2001 or 2002
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:55 PM   #871
brewcityfan

I'm glad to see the US Bank Tower still the tallest building in Milwaukee in the year 3000!
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:19 PM   #872
UWMilwaukeeJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I'm glad to see the US Bank Tower still the tallest building in Milwaukee in the year 3000!
Wrong. It fails to show Bay view which by then has built the world's tallest. And is the new CBD for Milwaukee
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:22 PM   #873
brewcityfan

Quote:
Wrong. It fails to show Bay view which by then has built the world's tallest. And is the new CBD for Milwaukee
You're kidding...right??? lol
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:19 AM   #874
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 88

The writer of that episode was Dan Vebber. He has done a variety of Futurama and Family Guy episodes, was a regular writer on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and now writes continually for American Dad. He's from Wisconsin, as is his wife. I've emailed him a few times, he likes to put Wisconsin references in his scripts sometimes. If you listen to the commentary on that episode, he actually said he demanded that it looks like Milwaukee.
Badgers77 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:32 AM   #875
brewcityfan

I'm glad to see some people who are from Milwaukee still promote the city in their later life. Great stuff!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:57 AM   #876
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
I was in a meeting this morning on the 40th floor of US Bank tower. I was able sneak off and peel off a few shots of the view with my camera, which I willl post here sometime today.
Unfortunately with the fog this morning this was the only usable shot I was able to get from the top. Oh well.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:57 AM   #877
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 466

Its shocking the level of detail in those 2 pictures. Even 794 is in there making the correct turn!
araman0 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:56 AM   #878
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

since we're going with the picture theme, here's an instant classic I just found.

oldie but goodie.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:01 AM   #879
exit_320

That is old.. nice angle though. Would like to see an updated one.. and then another one in a few years when Park East is filled in
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:34 AM   #880
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Likes (Received): 0

I did notice the fog this morning, unseen. Around 8am or so, it was just skirting the tops of the tallest buildings downtown. Damn fog! You still had a much better opportunity than most of the rest of us ever will. Thanks for trying for us!
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  

Closed Thread