daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM   #881
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

I just noticed today that the UCT has covered up the cement that has been facing the city on the back of the building. I dont know if its an elevator shaft or what, but today was the first day i noticed that i couldn't see the ugly cement going all the way to the top of the bulding!!!!
miltown no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #882
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 88

Where is Park East on that picture?
Badgers77 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #883
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

I do believe that is an elevator shaft, I can't imagine what else it would be.

What is it being covered with? Paint? Or that polished steel that's on the crown? The latter would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77 View Post
Where is Park East on that picture?
Right here:

Damn I really miss the naked support beams on US Bank.
CGII no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:00 PM   #884
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald View Post
I did notice the fog this morning, unseen. Around 8am or so, it was just skirting the tops of the tallest buildings downtown. Damn fog! You still had a much better opportunity than most of the rest of us ever will. Thanks for trying for us!
There used to be an ob deck on the top of US Bank tower, back when it was called the First Wisconsin Tower. It was closed in 1991, unfortunately.

I might get another chance at some point to get up there. Hopefully it will be sunny day and I'll be able to see for miles and miles.

Even on foggy day I wondered how anybody could get any work done up there. The view would be distracting!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM   #885
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

I do believe it was a restaurant, like Marine/Bank One/Chase, rather than an observation deck.
CGII no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:45 AM   #886
djcody

Likes (Received): 0

yea there's some new towers missing in that shot. Wish we could get an updated one. And then another in five years. That Futurama shot is depressing to see that Milwaukee will be the same in the year 3000. *shrugs*
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:39 AM   #887
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 208

An M&I Bank Exec is missing today
Quote:
THURSDAY, March 22, 2007, 4:38 p.m.
By Bob Purvis

Police searching for missing bank exec
Police are searching for an M & I Bank executive whose car was found abandoned at McKinley Marina after he failed to show up for work this morning.

Keith Gores, 56, was acting strange when he left for work this morning from his home in St. Francis, his wife told police.

The bank called her later when Gores didn't show up to work, and she called the St. Francis Police Department, said Anne E. Schwartz, Milwaukee Police Department spokeswoman.

His car was found later in the marina's parking lot.

"We are treating it as a critical missing adult case," Schwartz said. "All of this behavior is very uncharacteristic. This is a man that goes to work at the same time every morning."

The Milwaukee Police Department and the US Coast Guard are assisting St. Francis police in the search, Schwartz said.

A Coast Guard boat is combing the waters near the marina, Schwartz said.

The lake's current water temperature is around 41 degrees. The survival time in water in that temperature is about 15 minutes.

Anyone with information about Gores' whereabouts is asked to call the St. Francis Police Department at (414) 481-2232.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM   #888
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 208

Two interesting stories for Milwaukeeians today. Both from the JS:
Quote:
THURSDAY, March 22, 2007, 12:16 p.m.

Milwaukee metro 10th in retail growth
Women's Wear Daily, the apparel industry's top trade publication, ranks the Milwaukee metro area 10th in retail growth for the 2003-2006 period, in a list published today.

WWD's report calculates the average growth rate for retail businesses in the U.S. during that three-year period at 14%. Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee and Washington counties experienced 27.2% growth, according to a study prepared for WWD by Buxton Co. The study counted new retail stores, service firms and banks, but not restaurants, built from the ground up. as well as stores that replaced existing spaces, during that time period.

Buxton cited the Bayshore Town Center as playing a part in the growth.

The Naples/Marco Island, Fla. area is number one on the list, with 34.9% growth. The others, in order, are San Jose/Sunnyvale, Ca.; Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk, Conn.; Carson City, Nev.; Austin/Round Rock, Tex.; Ann Arbor; Boulder; Salt Lake City; and San Francisco/Oakland.

Two shopping hot spots, New York and Las Vegas, didn't make the list, despite tremendous growth, because the list is based on the percentage increase, not store count. Those cities had 21.2% and 21.8% growth, respectively.
Quote:
Museum explores bankruptcy protection
Discussion comes during 'shuttle diplomacy' to fix its financial problems
By STEVE SCHULTZE
[email protected]
Posted: March 22, 2007
With a still-shaky financial future and disappointing attendance, Milwaukee Public Museum officials are seeking legal advice on declaring bankruptcy for the non-profit entity that runs the 123-year-old institution.
More about the Museum situation can be found here: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=581273
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM   #889
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
I just noticed today that the UCT has covered up the cement that has been facing the city on the back of the building. I dont know if its an elevator shaft or what, but today was the first day i noticed that i couldn't see the ugly cement going all the way to the top of the bulding!!!!
Sooo.. I was looking at the tower today and am not really sure what you are talking about. It looks the same it has looked for atleast the past month
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:21 AM   #890
miltown
urban informant

i said i just noticed it, maybe i havent been paying enough attention but i see it everyday, the back portion of the building that was only covered half way up with paneling or drywall or ... and the rest was cement all the way up to the top....

miltown no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:23 AM   #891
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
but i see it everyday....
Guess you really don't "see" it then
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM   #892
miltown
urban informant

Billion-dollar building boom
More than a dozen projects proposed for downtown Milwaukee
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - March 23, 2007
by Pete Millard

Developers have proposed more than a dozen multimillion-dollar projects for downtown Milwaukee in recent months that could add nearly $1.2 billion in real estate value to the city's central business district.

With the Milwaukee River as the focal point of development activity, mixed-use projects have been proposed that include thousands of square feet of retail and office space, hundreds of hotel rooms, and additions to the soaring number of condominium and apartment units in downtown Milwaukee.

Milwaukee is attracting more national development firms and out-of-state capital, said Rob Ruvin, a Milwaukee developer and the unofficial spokesman for a group of Park East developers known as the Park East 12.

"As primary markets become saturated, developers are coming to secondary markets like Milwaukee because of the rich potential," said Ruvin, who has teamed with Gatehouse Capital, Dallas, for two projects in the Park East corridor.

Ruvin is president of Ruvin Development Inc., Milwaukee, which has two projects getting started west of the Milwaukee River in the Park East corridor with a combined value of $205 million.

The largest of the Ruvin developments is the $160 million condo, office and hotel project on West Juneau Avenue between North Fourth and North Old World Third streets. Ruvin Development and Gatehouse Capital also have a $45 million office and hotel development planned for the northeast corner of West Juneau and North Old World Third. The 10-story building will be anchored by the Milwaukee office of Cramer-Krasselt, a Chicago ad agency.

"The trend is that commercial development is following the condo boom," Ruvin said.

In all, there have been nearly 3,000 condominiums built in downtown Milwaukee during the past decade, adding more than $1.4 billion in tax base and generating more than $34 million in annual property taxes. The downtown has seen its first two high-rise luxury condominium buildings constructed with some units selling for more than $1 million.
Mix of uses

The difference between projects planned today compared with several years ago is that more commercial space is included, said Bob Monnat, chief operating officer of Mandel Development Group, Milwaukee.

Many of the retail and commercial proposals are trying to take advantage of the large increase in the number of people living downtown by offering retail services, he said.

"It's encouraging to see a mix of uses, not just 100 percent of any one thing," Monnat said.

The largest single project in downtown Milwaukee is the redevelopment of the former Pabst complex by Zilber Ltd., Milwaukee. The $205 million mixed-use project covers 21 acres along West Juneau Avenue and is the western gateway to the city's Park East corridor.

Zilber is working with at least three other developers to convert the vacant property into residential, office and retail space. Charles Trainer, TMB Development Co., and Max Dermond, Dermond Property Investments, both of Milwaukee, are teaming up to acquire a former Pabst boiler house building from Zilber. Gary Gorman, a Madison apartment developer, is also working on a project at the brewery site.

Michael Mervis, spokesman for Zilber Ltd., said Zilber is having no trouble convincing national retailers to consider the project.

"Up to this point everything in downtown was driven by residential development," Mervis said. "Now it's being driven by commercial projects,"
River projects

Mandel Group has two developments taking shape along the Milwaukee River that have a combined value of $215 million. Mandel's North End complex is an 8-acre development, on the northwest corner of North Water and East Lyons streets, that will include nearly 500 condo and apartment units and up to 25,000 square feet of retail.

In addition, Mandel Development Group is planning a second condominium building -- called Domus -- in the 3rd Ward along the Milwaukee River just east of the company's Marine Terminal Lofts building. The $40 million condo is expected to break ground in late 2007.

"We are witnessing a lot of healthy signs downtown," Monnat said.

Across the river from Mandel's Marine Terminal Lofts and Domus buildings, developer Bob Schultz is planning a $100 million condo and hotel building that will have three 15-story towers.

"For years, Milwaukee was a well-kept secret," said David Lepak, a Milwaukee real estate consultant who is working for Schultz. "That's not true anymore."

In addition to the dozen downtown developments in planning stages, another four projects are under way with a combined value of more than $200 million.

Big Bend Development L.L.C., Milwaukee, is building a $60 million, 160-unit condo project in the Park East corridor south of East Ogden Avenue between North Broadway and North Jefferson Street.

Along the Milwaukee River, Key Bridge Group Inc., Waukesha, is constructing a $70 million, 154-unit building to be called First Place Milwaukee.

Across the river from the 12-story Key Bridge building, a development group that includes Schultz, Investors Equity L.L.C., Milwaukee, and Ogden Development Group is building an eight-story, 80-unit condo known as River Renaissance that's valued at more than $70 million.

Bradley Center officials are also trying to get into the development game. The downtown sports and entertainment facility has hired the Milwaukee office of CB Richard Ellis to explore development options for land it owns around the arena.
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM   #893
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I do believe it was a restaurant, like Marine/Bank One/Chase, rather than an observation deck.
Nope. There was never a restaurant up there that I'm aware of, unless you count somebody eating their bag lunch while looking out the windows. You used to be able to take the elevator to the 40th floor, then walk up a flight of stairs to the...yes, observation floor. You could walk completely around the building - essentially the 42nd floor - and get a wonderful panoramic of the entire area through the floor-to-ceiling windows. There was nothing in the middle of that top floor, more of a hallway that wrapped around the top. And...it was free!

Perhaps someday soon (I'm not holding my breath) there will be a new tallest building that includes an observation deck. However, it seems that the top floor of any building these days is able to command top dollar, especially if it's a condo.

Now that I think of it, I wonder what that top floor is now used for at USB...if anything, since its sign obliterates most of the windows. Maybe somebody who works in the building knows the answer to what occupies Milwaukee's tallest floor.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:34 PM   #894
Markitect

The distinctive diagonals on the US Bank are part of large horizontal belt trusses, used to keep the building from leaning in strong winds. They also denote the floors on which the building's mechanical equipment is kept.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:43 PM   #895
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

It seems to me like the UTC construction is stalled or something. The outer appearance hasn't changed at all in the past month or two. My friend (who's father is in the reality business) mentioned that apparently the group out of Chicago they had contracted for construction was found to be overcharging for supplies. So they are switching to someone else. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #896
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4269

Balls!

From the Small Business Times:

Ghazi kills tenant rumors for downtown project
Posted on March 23, 2007 4:04 AM

Contrary to numerous recent media reports, The Ghazi Co. is not planning to bring a House of Blues, Hard Rock Café or an ESPNZone to its proposed downtown Milwaukee development.

Afshin Ghazi, president of the Charlotte, N.C.-based company, recently stomped on those reports while testifying before the city's Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee.

The Ghazi Co. plans to build a $120 million complex on a two-acre, city-owned parking lot southwest of North Fourth Street and Wisconsin Avenue. The development would include 200 condominiums, a 175-room boutique hotel and 100,000 square feet of entertainment, restaurant and retail space.

The Common Council on Thursday granted an option on the site to Ghazi, so the company can further pursue the project and work to obtain tenants and financing for the development.

The entertainment and retail portion of the development is expected to provide a boost for the Midwest Airlines Center and the Shops of Grand Avenue, both of which are located across the street from the site.
However, Ghazi told the city committee that some recent media reports about the prospective retail tenants were incorrect.

"You have a very anxious media here in town," Ghazi said. "I had an interview with one of your local television stations (WTMJ-Channel 4). They asked me, 'What tenants have you spoken to?' I didn't tell them that I had spoken to anybody. I told them, 'I've spoken to only the core group of tenants we have in Charlotte in asking them in passing if they would like to go see Milwaukee or not. Those tenants include tenants like (Charlotte-based) Bar Management Group, which is a big company located in 50 markets around the country. I've passed it along to Fox Sports Grill, and that's about it. And lo and behold, I watch the news that night, and they said, 'Coming soon: House of Blues, Hard Rock Café, ESPNZone.'

"ESPNZone isn't doing deals, as far as I know. House of Blues was just bought out (by Beverly Hills, Calif.-based Live Nation Inc.) and I don't think they're doing deals. And Hard Rock Café is, to me, a worn-out concept. I'm not sure I'd even pursue them, even if I had the opportunity. So I have not talked to any of those tenants."
The rumors may have been fueled by stories about the project in The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee, Ghazi said.

"I get regular calls (from media) out of cities for any project we are working on," he said. "The Business Journal in Milwaukee has called me numerous times and because we haven't had control of the property, I have declined to comment every time. We have not said anything to The Business Journal, other than we are contemplating coming (to Milwaukee). And they, I think because of our project in Charlotte, have jumped to conclusions about what the project may be or is trying to raise controversy or anything else."

Familiar concerns

The House of Blues rumors raised some concerns in the community. House of Blues was perhaps the most controversial tenant of the proposed PabstCity development that was rejected by the Common Council in 2005. Milwaukee aldermen killed that project, which would have transformed the former Pabst brewery into an entertainment district with stores, restaurants, residences and office space, by rejecting $41 million in city assistance, most in the form of tax incremental financing (TIF).

Critics of the PabstCity plan said the city should not provide a subsidy for restaurants and entertainment venues competing with existing establishments. Some of the loudest critics were the owners of The Rave and Shank Hall, who feared that the House of Blues at PabstCity would have hurt their businesses.
Talk of the House of Blues in the Ghazi project rekindled some of those fears.

"Some folks in town have already pressed the panic button because the horrid word, 'House of Blues,' has been mentioned in newspaper articles in connection with this development," said Alderman Bob Bauman, who represents the downtown area.

Public benefits

The Ghazi project also would be subsidized by the city. The city plans to sell the property to The Ghazi Co. for $1, instead of the original $3.46 million asking price. City officials say the subsidy is appropriate because of the benefits of Ghazi's development and because contamination must be removed from the site. In addition, a We Energies steam line must be relocated from the site.

Also, Ghazi's project would provide several public improvements, including a public plaza, streetscaping and a new transit shelter.

Ghazi is not seeking TIF for the project, but may do so later.

At a recent Redevelopment Authority hearing, Ghazi talked about the types of tenants that actually might occupy the entertainment and retail space in his development. He mentioned Fox Sports Grill, a "boutique movie theater" and a bowling alley. The bowling alley would not be the typical Milwaukee bowling alley, according to Ghazi, who described the concept as "martini bar meets bowling alley."

Westlake Village, Calif.-based Fox Sports Grill is a chain of sports-themed restaurants. Fox Sports Grill is expected to be a tenant in Ghazi's EpiCentre development under construction in downtown Charlotte. EpiCentre will also have condos, a hotel, a bowling alley and a movie theater.

Ghazi told the Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee that the hotel in his Milwaukee development would be a limited service hotel.

"There are a ton of flags out there flying," he said. "Like the Hyatt Place, W Aloft, Hilton Conrad and several others that are out there floating around that haven't landed (in Milwaukee). That's a piece of the market where I think the next generation of hotels and business travelers and others are going to be going to. I think we've got the perfect site for one of them. I might not get the first one but, I don't want to guarantee anything, but I feel very confident we are going to get one of them."

Ghazi said the proposed development does not have an office component.

"I wish you had a stronger office market, because I'd be adding an office component to this," he said. "But the office market is very weak here, compared to what our risk tolerance is, so we don't have an office component to this project right now."

To view Ghazi's testimony before the city's Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee, visit http://helix.milwaukee.gov/ramgen/ct...rm?usehostname.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #897
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4269

Sorry for the double post. This is good.

Hofbrauhaus at Pabst brewery expected to open next year

Published March 21, 2007 - Real Estate Weekly

The Hofbrauhaus microbrewery and restaurant, which Cincinnati Restaurant Group Inc. plans to open in the former Pabst brewery complex in downtown Milwaukee, should open by summer of 2008 said Jim Haertel, president of Brew City Redevelopment Group LLC.

"We will be brewing beer here again at this site in 2008," he said.
Haertel owns the former gift shop, visitor's center and corporate offices at 901-17 W. Juneau Ave. in the former Pabst brewery complex. The Hofbrauhaus would occupy the first floor of the two joined buildings that Haertel owns.

The Hofbrauhaus could be the first major tenant to open in the redeveloped Pabst brewery. Zilber Ltd. founder Joseph Zilber purchased the rest of the 20-acre property and has begun demolition and remediation work to transform the site into a new neighborhood of residences, office space, stores and restaurants. Zilber plans to gut and repair many of the historic buildings in the complex and sell them to other developers. He also plans to redevelop some of the buildings himself.

The second floor of Haertel's buildings would be occupied by the Museum of Beer and Brewing, which should also open next year, Haertel said. The museum could open later this year in a temporary location in Milwaukee Brewing Co.'s Second Street Brewery at 613 S. Second St., which is owned by Jim McCabe, owner of the Milwaukee Ale House.

Preliminary plans for the upper floors of Haertel's buildings call for a 32-room boutique hotel, which Haertel describes as a beer-themed bed and breakfast inn. The hotel will take longer to develop and would open later, he said.

A courtyard inside of Haertel's buildings will be used as a beer garden for the Hofbrauhaus. To take advantage of the beer garden, Cincinnati Restaurant Group wants to get the Hofbrauhaus open before the weather gets cold next year, Haertel said.

Also, check this out:

http://www.rivianna.com/

Last edited by mbradleyc; March 24th, 2007 at 09:10 PM.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #898
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

It's ironic that the Hoffbrau House, the original idea that set the whole Pabst City thing into motion, will be the first tenant to finally go into the complex, several years after the whole Pabst City thing imploded.
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #899
miltown
urban informant

RIVANNA!!!!! WOW!!

look what it will include!!!

Although still in the planning phases, Hotel Rivianna will be a seductive alternative to traditional hotels and included an anticipated 81 room executive style extended suite hotel. Residents will be permitted to join 3 exclusive memberships, featuring "The Spa @ Rivianna", "The Rivianna Yacht Club", and "Air Rivianna".

The Rivianna Yacht Club will offer shared memberships exclusively to residents for use of luxury motor yacht(s) and sailboats(s). Air Rivianna will offer exclusive shared corporate helicopter memberships featuring executive air taxi service to Chicago, the 12 reported Illinois heliport in planning stage including McCormick Place and Madison, WI; the triangle that represents the third largest concentration of the creative class on the planet.
http://www.rivianna.com/index.html

u can see the helicopter on the middle building in the third picture

Last edited by miltown; March 24th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #900
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

I wouldn't mind commuting by helicopter.

Closed Thread