daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #901
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Now if that falls through I'll be more disappointed than probably most other projects that previously failed. What an awesome addition and marketing tool to lure more wealth in both residents and corporations to the city.

Simply awesome.

Oh and I forgot to add that this project would probably spur even more upscale and decent development in Walkers Point. It's about time.
brewcityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #902
Battsman
America

Likes (Received): 0

I doubt this one gets built, the area around it looks depressing as hell. Nobody would want to pay that much to live there.
Battsman no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #903
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battsman View Post
I doubt this one gets built, the area around it looks depressing as hell. Nobody would want to pay that much to live there.
If its built other developments will go up, this would definitely spur on more development in that area!! Many of those buildings will be torn down or rebuilt
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #904
brewcityfan

Quote:
Well aren't you the optimist of the day

The area around it does look horrid - you'd hope that the development would cause the other older industrial nonsense to be torn up for something a bit more pleasant to look out your condo window at.
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #905
miltown
urban informant

Quote:
Nobody would want to pay that much to live there.
I fail to see a price mentioned anywhere, could you enlighten me?????????
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #906
Battsman
America

Read between the lines, buddy.
Battsman no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #907
miltown
urban informant

from rivianna.com

"Adding more affordable housing units targeting a demographic group (young persons, service and managerial class) who are finding it increasingly difficult to find affordable housing."

http://www.rivianna.com/community/

oh now i read in between the lines, they wont all be as expensive as you think
miltown no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #908
Markitect

Rivianna is still in the very preliminary stage right now. But by the time it would be ready to be built, many of the projects already under construction on the surrounding blocks will be complete (First Place on the River, 161 First, Castings Point, Kramer Lofts, River Renaissance). Also, in addition to Rivianna, there are a number of other proposals for the area in the pipeline which will contribute to the continued improvements to the Walker's Point/Third Ward area (Domus, former Transpak Corp. redevelopment, and some other warehouse conversions). Of course, this is all just a continuation of what's already been going on in the area over the past few years (the Waterfront Condos, Water Street Lofts, The Social/Alterra, Marine Terminal Lofts, Teweles Seed Building, to name just a few).

So as far as the Rivianna proposal is concerned, yes, there is a pretty good desire to live in the area, considering the transformation going on right now. Riverfront sites are pretty much the most valuable sites in the area, and definitely do command higher prices for amenities such as the river and lake views, the RiverWalk, and private boat slips for residents who want to purchase one. The inclusion of affordable units along with more pricier units makes Rivianna all the more attractive to a wider range of potential residents.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #909
brewcityfan

Question: Does Walkers Point have the same restrictions on building height as the Third Ward? Perhaps I answered my own question noticing Rivianna is 3 15 story buildings, but I forgot what the height restriction was in the Third Ward - 14 or 15?
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #910
brewcityfan

Another possible downtown vacancy approaching - the JS is reporting Roundy's is up for sale.

Link here: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=581632
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #911
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Another possible downtown vacancy approaching - the JS is reporting Roundy's is up for sale.

I really didn't read that as "another possible downtown vacancy approaching." Yes, that's possible, but from the sounds of it, not likely.
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #912
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post

what's your issue? like every one of your posts is "uh oh, we're in trouble"

and that's old news
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #913
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I happen to think that area of the 5th ward is one of the coolest places in the city. It's a grity, old warehouse district. It reminds me a lot of a mini DUMBO in Brooklyn...aesthetically, at least. It's proximity to the third ward would diminish any feelings of desolation, imo.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #914
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Rivianna

Battsman> I doubt it gets built as well but not because the area is bad.... Umm First Place 183 condos going up just a block from there. Behind Alterra a new apartment complex is going up. And along the river right there two other condo projects appear to be filling up. Further across the river Mandel is preparing to build yet another condo project Domos?(sp) so it actually a pretty hot spot now.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #915
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Where do you live?

And have you been to hell?
mohammed wong no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #916
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Battsman> I doubt it gets built as well but not because the area is bad.... Umm First Place 183 condos going up just a block from there. Behind Alterra a new apartment complex is going up. And along the river right there two other condo projects appear to be filling up. Further across the river Mandel is preparing to build yet another condo project Domos?(sp) so it actually a pretty hot spot now.
So why do you doubt this project from being built then??
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #917
NeuBrew

The one thing that has been lacking in Milwaukee -- inhibiting all other growth -- is air taxis. I can't tell you how many times I've decided to spend my money elsewhere because a particular establishment could not whisk me away in a heli after a night on the town. At last, we can use this facility for all of our heli-touring and commuting needs.

Sarcasm aside, I think one's a ways off.
NeuBrew no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #918
brewcityfan

At least air taxis will lure a wealthier class to Milwaukee....
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #919
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

As a regular helicopter commuter I can't tell you how much I would love a nice helipad in Downtown Milwaukee. It would be so nice to just shoot right downtown from my house in Sherman Park in 30 seconds, land safely and get to work in style. Instead my pilot spends at least five minutes every day circling downtown looking for a good place to land. Sometimes we get lucky and find an empty top floor of a parking deck. Sometimes we're not so lucky and we have to land in Veteran's Park. The liability on that shit is crazy, let me tell you.

Seriously, though, it is inevitible that something will be built on that site, because riverfront condo sites have too much market value to sit idle. Whether it will be this large and with a helipad remains to be seen, but a substantial condo project will be built on that site by the end of the decade.
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #920
djcody

Rivianna

Well i think that in time that area will change, I know that its not the best now, but it will be. As more and more developments come to the table and more and more people to move in that area, proposals like these will be more common. I do hope that they fit affordable housing projects on the table, cuz people like me would love to live there.

Other proposals: Its great to see new projects on the table, but i'm so impatient, and I get mad when Lake Pointe Tower, Ovation Plaza, Ghazi, Chase Bank Addition, the green building in Park East, Ruvin, etc. just sit for months... years... While other cities can't build their projects fast enough...

Closed Thread