daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 19th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #1081
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Talk about good timing!
brewcityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #1082
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
WEDNESDAY, April 18, 2007, 4:17 p.m.
By Doris Hajewski

Bon-Ton to lease space in Reuss building
Boston Store's corporate parent will expand its offices here by leasing 42,000 square feet in the Reuss Federal Plaza building at 310 W. Wisconsin Ave., the company said today.

Bon-Ton Stores Inc. (BONT) of York, Pa., acquired Saks Inc.'s northern department store group last year. The department store group, which was headquartered in the Boston Store building at N. 4th St. and W. Wisconsin Ave., includes Boston Store, Carson Pirie Scott, Bergner's, Herberger's and Younkers.

After the acquisition, Bon-Ton maintained its corporate headquarters in York, but retained the merchandising, marketing and advertising functions at the Milwaukee office. Some jobs in those categories were moved from York to Milwaukee, bringing the total employment at the Milwaukee office to 700, up from 560 at the time of the sale.

The extra space in the Reuss building is needed for Bon-Ton's private label merchants and store operations. The new offices are expected to be completed by July.
finally some news its been and still is too quiet around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
miltown no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #1083
usbmfa

Likes (Received): 40

The parking structure on Cathedral square is getting a new facade. Signs are posted on the building. Its not really that exciting, but I thought I would mention it.
usbmfa no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #1084
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
WEDNESDAY, April 18, 2007, 4:17 p.m.
By Doris Hajewski

Bon-Ton to lease space in Reuss building
Boston Store's corporate parent will expand its offices here by leasing 42,000 square feet in the Reuss Federal Plaza building at 310 W. Wisconsin Ave., the company said today.

Bon-Ton Stores Inc. (BONT) of York, Pa., acquired Saks Inc.'s northern department store group last year. The department store group, which was headquartered in the Boston Store building at N. 4th St. and W. Wisconsin Ave., includes Boston Store, Carson Pirie Scott, Bergner's, Herberger's and Younkers.

After the acquisition, Bon-Ton maintained its corporate headquarters in York, but retained the merchandising, marketing and advertising functions at the Milwaukee office. Some jobs in those categories were moved from York to Milwaukee, bringing the total employment at the Milwaukee office to 700, up from 560 at the time of the sale.

The extra space in the Reuss building is needed for Bon-Ton's private label merchants and store operations. The new offices are expected to be completed by July.
Wait, something is happening without a TIF? You mean development can actually happen on its own? Maybe we should give Bon-Ton a TIF just for the hell of it. Anyways, great news about adding new jobs not just to downtown, but the metro area as a whole.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #1085
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
Wait, something is happening without a TIF? You mean development can actually happen on its own? Maybe we should give Bon-Ton a TIF just for the hell of it. Anyways, great news about adding new jobs not just to downtown, but the metro area as a whole.
Ha ha very funny MilwaukeeD! I didn't think you could TIF buildings for move-in space. I guess you do learn something new everyday!

And it great for the entire metro area. It shows that companies are interested in downtown, and are willing to apparently pay these extremely high taxes. Now let's focus on just getting the entire Bon-Ton HQ here!
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #1086
honest86
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Ha ha very funny MilwaukeeD! I didn't think you could TIF buildings for move-in space. I guess you do learn something new everyday!

And it great for the entire metro area. It shows that companies are interested in downtown, and are willing to apparently pay these extremely high taxes. Now let's focus on just getting the entire Bon-Ton HQ here!
maybe you should read the entire article... they are still trying to get money
Quote:
Bon-Ton has had preliminary discussions with the state Department of Commerce, seeking a grant to help offset the costs of the renovations at the Reuss building. The cost has not been disclosed. The new offices are expected to be completed by July.
honest86 no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #1087
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by honest86 View Post
maybe you should read the entire article... they are still trying to get money
Hey, don't criticize me! MilwaukeeD's the one who brought this forward!
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1088
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Fly-Through Video

Park Lafyette has a new video on their sales website featuring bird's-eye views of Milwaukee as well as some new views of the development.

It's worth checking out: Park Lafayette
EastSider no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #1089
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4277

Good news.

Suburpia gets back to east side roots
Sandwich shop to open again on Prospect

By RICK ROMELL
[email protected]
Posted: April 18, 2007

In 1969 on the east side, Suburpia ruled.

The sandwich shop at N. Prospect and E. North avenues was the busy flagship of a growing business and something of a counter- culture node, often jammed with hungry students, hippies and late-night drinkers from Hooligan's down the street.

Eventually, it all unraveled, but now the resurrected sub chain is planning a return to the corner that helped launch its initial success.

Next week, the latest version of Suburpia expects to open a shop, its third, at 2264 N. Prospect Ave., William J. Foley said Wednesday.

"We're very excited to be back on the east side, and we're looking forward to it because it was such fun," he said.

Foley founded Suburpia in the late 1960s and built the chain to nearly 20 stores, but he sold it in 1982 after running into financial problems. Seven years later, the shops were purchased by Subway.

Foley brought back different incarnations of Suburpia for brief periods during the '90s, then was found guilty in 1998 of failing to pay state sales taxes and spent a year in jail.

Foley said he is now a consultant with no ownership stake in Suburpia; he wouldn't name the owners.

But under Foley's guidance, Suburpia has come back again. A shop that opened at 10853 W. Blue Mound Road in Wauwatosa in late 2005 initially drew so many customers that waits for sandwiches sometimes were 30 minutes or more. In May, Suburpia opened a second shop, in Waukesha.

Both stores are doing well, though across the restaurant industry "there's a certain softness that's developed that's been catching everybody off guard and is a little disconcerting," Foley said.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #1090
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
Park Lafyette has a new video on their sales website featuring bird's-eye views of Milwaukee as well as some new views of the development.

I Like the look of the buildings. Even though the original would have been better the height of 2 towers in that area will still have a postive impact.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #1091
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider View Post

Now if only Milwaukee had a vacation ad like that to put up nationally....

What a great presentation!
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #1092
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:

Yeah, and they will all want to take the train to work! Especially that famous Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee commuter rail. (Here's a tip: DON'T BE SUCH A PROUD SUPPORTER OF A WHITE ELEPHANT-IN-THE-MAKING! You really don't get it, do you?)
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #1093
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Yeah, and they will all want to take the train to work! Especially that famous Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee commuter rail. (Here's a tip: DON'T BE SUCH A PROUD SUPPORTER OF A WHITE ELEPHANT-IN-THE-MAKING! You really don't get it, do you?)
You do know Skyking that there's a whole thread out there on SSC talking about the KRM? Or did you forget??

I must admit this whole let's pounce on Brew thing is getting really amusing.

And you never know, some just might be able to utilize the train. Depends on where the employees live.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #1094
CG5
prickly

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Every time someone bitchslaps this kid, I get a sense of how evil people must feel when they see someone kick a puppy.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #1095
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
Every time someone bitchslaps this kid, I get a sense of how evil people must feel when they see someone kick a puppy.
Please. You call that a bitchslap? It's more of a petty, stupid, immature comment that hardly had anything to do with the subject. I've heard a lot worse comments that people make to each other. And let's all remember....I'm the ignorant SoB! Ha!
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1096
brewcityfan

Oh, and speaking of absolutely NO TIF developments, Kenosha's new lifestyle center and residential project off of Hwy 50 and I-94 isn't asking for any TIFs on the land.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #1097
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

kenowhere

Well I would hope they wouldn't use a TIF to build a shoping mall on what is probably a greenfield! A TIF really should never be used to do that.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:08 AM   #1098
Bluewarning
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Yeah, I'd rather see a creative 'mall' type park in MacArthur's place instead of an extension of Kilbourn border by cheapish buildings. If that were to happen (unlikely), and the Museum were to have a big surplus (very very very very very unlikely), they could renovate so their building embraces the park instead of kind of shy off away from any point in the city.
I agree. I like the idea of connecting Kilbourn to MacArthur Square better. However, I dont care for that plaza thing. It would most likely be empty space replacing empty space.

I posted my ideas over at UrbanMilwaukee awile back-which would be similar to yours I guess. I think they should develop MacArthur Square with smaller developments--outdoor cafes, coffeshops a beer garden, small shops, ice cream stands etc. Something like (obviously not to the extent of) St. Marks Square in Venice or Prague's central square. Perhaps, make the center of the square open for outdoor summer concerts and events. With Marquette, MATC, Pabst, and all the stuff around it--I think something like it could work.
Bluewarning no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM   #1099
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
You do know Skyking that there's a whole thread out there on SSC talking about the KRM? Or did you forget??

I must admit this whole let's pounce on Brew thing is getting really amusing.

And you never know, some just might be able to utilize the train. Depends on where the employees live.
I didn't forget - you're the one promoting this folly trolly at the bottom of every comment you make...as a "proud supporter."

Yes, some might be able to use it, but not many - not nearly enough to warrant it. And now this dumb-ass lobby group is wasting our money to try and waste more of our money. C'mon, $13 per day on top of a car rental?!!! Yeah, that will bring visitors to town. What a bunch of...I can't even say it.

Sorry, don't mean to dump on you, it's just so easy. I will try and refrain from this nastiness from now on.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM   #1100
Bluewarning
BANNED

I have to agree with Skyking here. 13 dollars a day is alot of money to pay for a train system. We cant keep raising taxes on everything.
Bluewarning no está en línea  

Closed Thread