daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1161
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

The highest Wisconsin city on the list is Madison at 136, and that's down from last year. That's sad.
ajknee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #1162
Bluewarning
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Lake Point Tower isn't quite "dead" yet, but like with all office development proposals, still needs an anchor tenant or two for a shot of becoming a reality. Plus the approvals and financing. The same can be said for the Block 12 proposal (MLG's tower at Water/Knapp) and the Chase Garage Tower.

Ruvin still has a ways to go before being considered "a go" as neither of his proposals have been approved yet. Nor has he closed the deal on buying the land for either of his projects yet.
Maybe I am being a bit pessimistic--but I see Lake Point Tower in its current form joining the ranks of the Broadway-Wisconsin Tower, Ovation, and River Tower. I dont doubt SOMETHING will be built in that location, but I just dont think it will be the awesome looking 40 story LPT. I assumed Baird renewing its lease was a near deathblow for the project.

And about Ruvin---wasnt the moving of the Gipfel Brewery considered a sign of it being a "go"?
Bluewarning no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #1163
Bluewarning
BANNED

I think the Moderne rendering is pretty cool. Its a classy looking skyscraper and will contrast nicely with the odd looking Ruvin tower next door.

And I dont know anyone on here can be in question over Rivianna. It is a great proposal and would be a nice addition to the downtown area. It takes up more Riverfront and will add more businesses/people to the Riverwalk.
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #1164
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewarning View Post
And about Ruvin---wasnt the moving of the Gipfel Brewery considered a sign of it being a "go"?
Ruvin's overall development proposal for that entire block hasn't been approved yet. Also, according to Milwaukee property records online, Ruvin has still not finalized buying the remainder of the block from the County (the only thing Ruvin owns is the Sydney Hih itself and the Gipfel building). Additionally, Ruvin is planning on requesting a TIF, which also suggests that the proposal has not been approved at this time.

The Gipfel building is actually supposed to be placed where part of the Sydney Hih is, once that section is demolished--that is why it was moved, because it is going on the land that Ruvin already does own.

This doesn't mean he won't ever finalize it, or that he won't ever get approved, it just means it isn't really "a go" yet. Relocating the Gipfel is a positive step in the right direction, but the overall project is not yet a done deal.

Last edited by Markitect; April 25th, 2007 at 07:10 AM.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #1165
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Moderne looks very nice its good to get some proposals going again!
miltown no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1166
Bluewarning
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Ruvin's overall development proposal for that entire block hasn't been approved yet. Also, according to Milwaukee property records online, Ruvin has still not finalized buying the remainder of the block from the County (the only thing Ruvin owns is the Sydney Hih itself and the Gipfel building). Additionally, Ruvin is planning on requesting a TIF, which also suggests that the proposal has not been approved at this time.

The Gipfel building is actually supposed to be placed where part of the Sydney Hih is, once that section is demolished--that is why it was moved, because it is going on the land that Ruvin already does own.

This doesn't mean he won't ever finalize it, or that he won't ever get approved, it just means it isn't really "a go" yet. Relocating the Gipfel is a positive step in the right direction, but the overall project is not yet a done dea.

ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for clearing that up Mark. Lets hope it does get the green light, because it is a great looking building.

Oh, and I have to say to the people of this board who were hating on Manpower....admit your fault! It is a very impressive building, despite being more conservative.
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #1167
hello345

Likes (Received): 70

How is work progressing on park lafayette ? Any real tower cranes up yet? Are both towers u/c or just one?
thanks in advance!
hello345 no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #1168
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello345 View Post
How is work progressing on park lafayette ? Any real tower cranes up yet? Are both towers u/c or just one?
thanks in advance!
There are two cranes up and a GIANT hole. I believe both towers are being built at once.

I also just heard that St. John's assisted living/nursing home is very close to building a new tower on their parking lot to the south of their building on Prospect.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #1169
miltown
urban informant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
I also just heard that St. John's assisted living/nursing home is very close to building a new tower on their parking lot to the south of their building on Prospect.
where'd you hear that? I hope we heare more soon....

City stalls zoning of condo project
By TOM DAYKIN
Posted: April 24, 2007
Plans for a five-story apartment and condominium project near the Brewers Hill neighborhood have stalled after the city Plan Commission killed a proposed rezoning for the site.

Buy a link hereInvestors Sonny Bando and Timothy Olson proposed the 53-unit building, including street-level commercial space, for a site north of E. Brown St. and west of N. Holton St.

But their request for zoning approval was killed Monday by the commission after its members and other city officials raised concerns about Olson's record as a landlord.

Olson has had numerous building code violations over the past three years and owes around $41,300 in unpaid fines, said Todd Weiler, spokesman for the Department of Neighborhood Services, which conducts building inspections.

Neither Bando nor Olson could be reached for comment Tuesday.

Bando said in January that the building would tap into a demand for new, high-quality rental units in Brewers Hill. Most of the neighborhood housing that's been developed in recent years has either been condos or single-family homes.

In other action, the commission approved rezoning for Rivianna, a condo development proposed for a site overlooking the Milwaukee River in the Walker's Point neighborhood.

Developer Robert Schultz hopes to build about 200 condos, an 81-room hotel and 10,000 square feet of retail space on the north side of S. Water St. The project would feature three 11-story buildings, linked at the base by a 430-space parking structure.

Rivianna's condos will be priced starting at $150,000.

Schultz is a partner on two other nearby projects: the 82-unit River Renaissance condos, which are close to completion at 102 N. Water St., and the 115-unit Teweles Seed Tower Apartments, which opened in 2005 at 222 S. 3rd St.

at least they're punishing a guy with a bad landlord record, these slum lords have to be stopped somehow

not really development news, but it is good for the city

MFD picked for fire safety pilot program
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has selected the Milwaukee Fire Department as one of two cities to be used to develop a strategic plan to enhance fire safety efforts in big cities, Milwaukee officials announced today.

The Urban Fire Prevention Issues & Opportunities Project will include information from the Milwaukee Fire Department and the Louisville Fire Department to develop a program that can be used by all major metropolitan fire departments. Areas that will be addressed will be:

* Conducting fire prevention programs with limited resources

* Challenges of implementing and conducting smoke alarm programs

* Challenges of unique occupancies

* Leveraging relationships with large citywide institutions

* Reaching multi-cultural communities

* Competing with other community issues such as crime

Members from the NFPA will be in Milwaukee today to meet with the Milwaukee Fire Department in the first of many meetings on this project. The project is scheduled to be completed by October 2007.

The NFPA was established in 1896. The organization serves as the world's leading advocate of fire prevention and is the authoritative source on public safety.
miltown no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #1170
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Well excuse me for using the name of the hotel for the building's name as well. I didn't know it was "Moderne" which is kinda cheesy in itself, but ok - you got me! And I'm glad to see you're standing with this project. I wonder what will happen if these developers end up asking for some kind of assistance though. You never said anything about TIFs, but I know Conservatives are generally against TIFs - and the way you go on about taxes it would make sense to see an unvoiced but already known opinion from you concerning people wanting a TIF.

Now you surprised me by supporting the Third Ward being 14 stories max. Another surprising comment was yours concerning keeping Walker's Point buildings restricted somewhat. For a person who wants decent sized buildings, you're sure narrowing the options to north of 794, where I'd like your opinion on the viability of developers wanting high rises away from the Milwaukee River/Lake Michigan.
My goodness, Brew City, don't be so sensitive. I wasn't correcting you so much as I was trying to make it clear what building we were talking about for your own edification and the readers'. And assuming I'm conservative is like assuming you're a liberal. Bury the assumptions.

Anyway, if you were to go back on this thread (and others) and see what I've written with respect to developing a more concise skyline, I've always supported height and density north of 794. I am not in favor of tall buildings outside of downtown for the main reason that there are precious few opportunities for us to see height developed downtown as it is. In fact, I've been a proponent of the city getting off its butt and identifying available parcels for significant development -- like other cities seem to be able to do.

Look, big skylines aren't everything (and Milwaukee will never have to worry about that), but there is something to be said for having a memorable, pictuesque skyline. Sure, there are some vistas around downtown and along the lakefront that sport a nice view, but generally speaking, ours is not a photogenic skyline. There are cities with half Milwaukee's population with better, more dramatic skylines. Our buildings are too spread out, and there are key places that could use "filling in." And now, while I like some of the things being proposed for Park East, this further extends the skyline and all but makes density and a developing a significant skyline nearly impossible .
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1171
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

skyking> (i asked this on the other board) but just to clarify when you say "density" you a refering to how close the buildings in the skyline are to each other. Not population density correct?
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #1172
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

skyking - my apologies for "over-sensitivity"

But why wouldn't you want decent buildings with height built to the south of 794? There's plenty of land to do such, and the 3 rivers meeting to the south of 794 would make it a very attractive spot to put high rises in place of decrepit factories. I can see Jones Island being an eyesore, but I'm sure we can throw out some ideas pertaining to this.

And yes, I'm one who feels that the Park East parcels are too big. As I've said in an earlier post (I think to MilwaukeeMark) that you could fit 2 John Hancock's on one of those parcels! If the county knew how to split land within a square block we might have more buildings (and taxes) for the land. And it would also help with your density issue if there were more buildings per square block.

Last edited by brewcityfan; April 25th, 2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Fixing an error. Thanks twoaday!
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1173
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
where'd you hear that? I hope we heare more soon....
My elderly aunt is going to a meeting on Monday where they are starting to get pre-sales for the new building. They didn't have a rendering of the building, just floorplans for the individual units. Elderly housing is big $$, I wouldn't expect them to have much trouble selling out.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1174
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

brewcityfan> Please understand it is the county that is selling the Park East land (not the city), which is one of the major holdups.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1175
miltown
urban informant

West side hotel will get upgrade

Rick Wiegand, who dramatically renovated the Ambassador Hotel at 2308 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, is now renovating the Executive Inn across the street at 2301 W. Wisconsin Ave.

Wiegand is spending $1 million to gut and renovate the Executive Inn's 40 rooms and lobby. The hotel will be renamed the Ambassador Inn and will re-open May 15.

The Ambassador Inn will be positioned "a couple of tiers above the Executive Inn and a tier below the Ambassador Hotel," Wiegand said.

Room rates at the Ambassador Inn will be about $99 to $149 a night, compared with $69 to $79 a night at the Executive Inn and about $139 to $179 a night at the Ambassador Hotel.

Wiegand said business has been going well at the Ambassador Hotel, which prompted him to upgrade the Executive Inn.

"We're basically going off of the success that the Ambassador Hotel is showing," he said. "The time is right to add another property to the market."

The Ambassador Hotel has attracted a mix of leisure and business travelers, including visitors to Marquette University, Miller Brewing Co., Harley-Davidson Inc. and Milwaukee Brewers games at Miller Park. The hotel has taken advantage of its proximity to those destinations, Wiegand said.

"I think our location is actually better than the downtown hotel market," he said. "We shuttle guests to wherever they want to go downtown."

For more, visit www.ambassadorinnmilwaukee.com.
miltown no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #1176
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
skyking> (i asked this on the other board) but just to clarify when you say "density" you a refering to how close the buildings in the skyline are to each other. Not population density correct?
Correct. Good question for clarification sake.
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #1177
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
skyking - my apologies for "over-sensitivity"

But why wouldn't you want decent buildings with height built to the south of 794? There's plenty of land to do such, and the 3 rivers meeting to the south of 794 would make it a very attractive spot to put high rises in place of decrepit factories. I can see Jones Island being an eyesore, but I'm sure we can throw out some ideas pertaining to this.

And yes, I'm one who feels that the Park East parcels are too big. As I've said in an earlier post (I think to MilwaukeeMark) that you could fit 2 John Hancock's on one of those parcels! If the county knew how to split land within a square block we might have more buildings (and taxes) for the land. And it would also help with your density issue if there were more buildings per square block.
Because, for the umpteenth time, I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIGHRISES ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE!! Let's determine a zoned area for such development. High rises south of downtown, no way! Our skyline is challenged enough...let's not throw up taller buildings willy nilly. Concentrate damn it, CONCENTRATE!!
Or, we will simply never, ever have a skyline worth jack.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #1178
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Because, for the umpteenth time, I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIGHRISES ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE!! Let's determine a zoned area for such development. High rises south of downtown, no way! Our skyline is challenged enough...let's not throw up taller buildings willy nilly. Concentrate damn it, CONCENTRATE!!
Or, we will simply never, ever have a skyline worth jack.
and I think a lot of on this board (although it is a skyscraper board) have concluded over the past few months that we don't care all that much about the skyline, but rather just the overall density and the pedestrian experience.

I would agree with you if Rivianna were being built at 1st/National, for instance, but I have no problem with any property along the river being built tall. This isn't just some randomly placed project south of downtown, it is there because it is on the river and one of the closest river properties to lake michigan. There aren't too many Milwaukee River properties left anyway, so I think they should be built on densely. Here are the major ones left (that don't have a development proposed, such as Rivianna, Domus, North End, Pleasant Street Market, The Edge, Ruvin's aloft, Block 12, etc.)
- Sites to the east of Rivianna with the grain elevators, etc.
- Site north of First Place, across from Hack
- Site at Plankington and St. Paul, which isn't desirable now due to freeway construction
- The Rock Bottom parking lot
- The lot behind the Marcus Center's parking deck

That's about it. So why not build tall on these river properties so that more people can live on the river and use the riverwalk?
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #1179
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

It would be interesting to finally see how Milwaukee's "River Canyon" will end up turning out.

It also is in the eye of the beholder concerning the views and the angles Milwaukee's skyline is shown. From the lakefront it might not show all, but from the Hoan Bridge it's amazing - and if some taller buildings were placed south of 794 it'd be a mini-Chicago. Best part of Milwaukee is - there's 2 other rivers that can get something out of it.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #1180
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
It would be interesting to finally see how Milwaukee's "River Canyon" will end up turning out.

It also is in the eye of the beholder concerning the views and the angles Milwaukee's skyline is shown. From the lakefront it might not show all, but from the Hoan Bridge it's amazing - and if some taller buildings were placed south of 794 it'd be a mini-Chicago. Best part of Milwaukee is - there's 2 other rivers that can get something out of it.
So much of what we talk about on this thread (most threads, for that matter) are very subjective. With that preface, I'd have to say that the skyline from the Hoan Bridge is a bore. It's pretty much all or nothing with USB standing out like a sore thumb. If there was ever a view of downtown that looked as if it was giving me the finger, that is it.

Like I said, it's all pretty subjective stuff. I'm glad you like it, though.

Closed Thread