daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #101
sideliner

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Thanks, M-Mark. Let's see if this works ...

Last edited by sideliner; January 5th, 2007 at 09:46 PM.
sideliner no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #102
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^I re-uploaded it for you and fixed it. In the future, when you host stuff on imageshack, make sure to copy and paste the info from the "Hotlink for forums" field.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #103
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 230

I don't know if its just my computer - its showing an X where the pic was supposed to be. But the link works great.

Here's the development that sideliner is talking about.

Thanks for finding a picture and letting us know!
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #104
sideliner

Likes (Received): 3

OK; thanks.
sideliner no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #105
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Nice project...

And fantastic article about Mitchell.. The merging of Milwaukee and Chicago can only bring better things. (mostly for Milwaukee.. but we can be greedy)
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #106
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, that was a good article. But the article mentioned that only 5% of the possible northern Illinois flying market is selecting Mitchell verses O'Hare. That could be a whole lot better.

Maybe with more intensive marketing by Mitchell in northern Illinois along with having a discount carrier like JetBlue or Southwest at Mitchell, that percentage should increase significantly.

Wow! Nice Icon Development project. I like it.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #107
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
Yes, that was a good article. But the article mentioned that only 5% of the possible northern Illinois flying market is selecting Mitchell verses O'Hare. That could be a whole lot better.

Maybe with more intensive marketing by Mitchell in northern Illinois along with having a discount carrier like JetBlue or Southwest at Mitchell, that percentage should increase significantly.

Wow! Nice Icon Development project. I like it.
The nice thing is the article acknowledges Mitchell as an alternate to O'hare and includes it in the Chicago market.. This article might open a lot of eyes to the airport's for the most part stress free travel. The potential is there.. just hope the airport can further work on stealing a few travellers away from O'hare. The discount carriers will definately help out Mitchell IMO.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #108
brewcityfan

The only thing I find extremely surprising is that the Chicago Tribune seems to be extremely supportive of Midwest Airlines, more-so in that one article alone than in any article that the Journal Sentinel did since the merger was being talked about. I'm disgusted at the way the JS handled this subject, most of the articles it posted, I believe, were very pro-Air Tran and the whole "sooner or later its gonna happen" belief was strongly imposed, and I add that the JS makes everyone believe that the stockholders are more open for anyone as long as they get money, while the Tribune puts Midwest's stockholders as "one of the most loyal" in business. Who's reporting for who's city?
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #109
Oshkosh49

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
The nice thing is the article acknowledges Mitchell as an alternate to O'hare and includes it in the Chicago market.. This article might open a lot of eyes to the airport's for the most part stress free travel. The potential is there.. just hope the airport can further work on stealing a few travellers away from O'hare. The discount carriers will definately help out Mitchell IMO.
You are right exit_320. You bring up an excellent point. This particular article in the Tribune probably did more to enhance Mitchell's notoriety than any marketing plan ever hope to accomplish.
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #110
Oshkosh49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
The only thing I find extremely surprising is that the Chicago Tribune seems to be extremely supportive of Midwest Airlines, more-so in that one article alone than in any article that the Journal Sentinel did since the merger was being talked about. I'm disgusted at the way the JS handled this subject, most of the articles it posted, I believe, were very pro-Air Tran and the whole "sooner or later its gonna happen" belief was strongly imposed, and I add that the JS makes everyone believe that the stockholders are more open for anyone as long as they get money, while the Tribune puts Midwest's stockholders as "one of the most loyal" in business. Who's reporting for who's city?
Yup. The JS seems enamored with the spin that the CEO of AirTrans is spewing.
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #111
brewcityfan

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who noticed the negativity of the JS concerning Midwest. And, to top off the night - another major Milwaukee area mall is going through a makeover!

JS Article here: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=549857

Old January 6th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #112
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

As a former resident of Wauwatosa (my parents still live on Lefeber and Meinecke), I feel ambivalent about the Icon development. I'm happy for Tosa, but also resentful that a solid project will be built in a suburb instead of the city. Suburbs run away from the problems of a city, yet they are continually rewarded for doing so. It makes me ill at times.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #113
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
As a former resident of Wauwatosa (my parents still live on Lefeber and Meinecke), I feel ambivalent about the Icon development. I'm happy for Tosa, but also resentful that a solid project will be built in a suburb instead of the city. Suburbs run away from the problems of a city, yet they are continually rewarded for doing so. It makes me ill at times.
Well Hydrogen, the city right now has a ton of its own projects happening downtown. At least we all can give Milwaukee some credit this past year of at least taking new projects under its arm and approving a ton of new developments in and around downtown.

At least with the earlier posts today, it shows that the suburbs of the city are just as strong as Milwaukee, which can only be an excellent factor in growth and development all around.

But I definitely do agree with you on the point that suburban growth generally goes a lot easier and faster *from planning to construction* than the city's.
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #114
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

This mega proposal for Tosa does nothing for me. More suburban vanilla sort of stuff. Good for Tosa if they get this done, but I could care less, really. I don't think more development in this area will help until the congestion on Hwy 45 and Mayfair Rd. is dealt with. It's already a zoo (pun intended) traveling on 45 from Capitol Dr. to the Zoo Interchange. Yeah, and this would help - especially at the Burleigh exit/entrance ramps!
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #115
Lowrkase

The Milwaukee Banner is up!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lowrkase no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #116
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrkase View Post
LOL wow, I'm an idiot...I didn't even notice(not enough coffee yet I guess). Nice work again MMark!!
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #117
Paule

Likes (Received): 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrkase View Post
Yeah looks great but I thought they decided to show it on Jan. 31st for Milwaukee's birthday?

They either forgot the I in Milwaukee or the I and L are so close together it just looks like a bolded L.
Paule no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #118
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Haha, I don't really mind that it's posted today. I think it's awesome either way. About the I and the L? Yes, there are two separate letters. It's just the font they use.. I've noticed that in other city names as well when they were the banner. Oh well!

Thanks again hydrogen. This is a great day for Milwaukee urban development nerds.
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #119
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Milwaukee is well on its way to becoming a bi-polar "two Downtown" metropolitan area, with the orginal downtown as the center of banking, culture, and finance, and Wauwatosa emerging as a "second Downtown" of major businesses (GE Healthcare) and retail. If these two "Downtowns" could be linked with some kind of viable rail transit the whole region would benefit.
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #120
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4277

Quote:
If these two "Downtowns" could be linked with some kind of viable rail transit the whole region would benefit.
The Amtrak line goes right past there somewhere. It wouldn't be too difficult to run the KRM out there once its established.
mbradleyc no está en línea  

Closed Thread