daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1201
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Does any one else see the UCT being copied here? Granted, there are worse buildings to copy, but how about some originality.
Skyking2 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1202
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

From JSonline.com

The Milwaukee area added 7,600 jobs in the past 12 months and improved its unemployment rate from March 2006, the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development reported Wednesday.
EastSider no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1203
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Does any one else see the UCT being copied here? Granted, there are worse buildings to copy, but how about some originality.
Are you kidding me? It's a carbon copy of UCT and Kilbourn together.. how could anyone NOT see that?! My "image" is a copy and paste of the two buildings together. Granted, Moderne is all white but still... the resemblance is undeniable. I'm all for new towers in the Mil but this one can be buried in the dead proposal pile as far as I'm concerned. Unless, of course, they do some pretty significant facelifting.
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #1204
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

While Moderne isn't spectacular, I don't think it is all that bad. Better than the Chase Tower 2
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1205
LAX100

The national umeployment rate is 4.5%....The statewide unemployment rate last month was 5.6%, the same as March 2006.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=596510
I think this is something a state that considers itself a leader in the quality of life and so many other areas should take a serious look at. I had no idea the stats where that bad statewide.
LAX100 no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #1206
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Are you kidding me? It's a carbon copy of UCT and Kilbourn together.. how could anyone NOT see that?! My "image" is a copy and paste of the two buildings together. Granted, Moderne is all white but still... the resemblance is undeniable. I'm all for new towers in the Mil but this one can be buried in the dead proposal pile as far as I'm concerned. Unless, of course, they do some pretty significant facelifting.

it is the first rendering we've seen of moderne, its bound to change a little....
miltown no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #1207
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 206

Friday's edition of The Business Journal showed the view looking north at the building - and it didn't look as bad as the view everyone is currently seeing.
brewcityfan está en línea ahora  
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #1208
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
it is the first rendering we've seen of moderne, its bound to change a little....
Hope it changes...A LOT! This rendering is almost embarrassing, I mean, who designed this building? Hello, can you come up with something on your own without copying UCT and KT? I like the aggressiveness of this project, it just needs to get some originality.
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #1209
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

God is in the details, ladies and gentlemen, and it's rather disconcerting to see such hatred of a building that very beautifully uses Miami Deco details in metal and glass and translates into a well massed tower.
CGII no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #1210
Bluewarning
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
God is in the details, ladies and gentlemen, and it's rather disconcerting to see such hatred of a building that very beautifully uses Miami Deco details in metal and glass and translates into a well massed tower.
Only in Milwaukee would a tower like this be scoffed at. By no means is it SwissRe, Turning Torso, Chrysler Buildling, or John Hancock--but its still pretty cool. I personally think its a good design for that location.
Bluewarning no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #1211
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

The problem isn't that it's unattractive or even a bad design. I agree that it is a beautiful building. The problem is that it is WAY too similar to what's been built here in the last few years.
I personally don't have a problem with the form of the building. I think it's beautiful. The color is what I have a huge problem with. There are so many colors out there, and once again white was chosen. White is only interesting when it's one of a kind. That's why the Calatrava was such a hit. But now we have three rather important buildings downtown that are solid white. It's become boring.
Plus, the Moderne is a Miami Deco building. How many of those Deco buildings down in Miami are white? They're all salmon, peach, terracotta, etc. So why would they make this one white?
If I had to choose a color to use on this building, it would be the tan-ish tile color used on the Zeidler Municipal Building which has aged incredibly well.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=406518
ajknee no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #1212
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
If I had to choose a color to use on this building, it would be the tan-ish tile color used on the Zeidler Municipal Building which has aged incredibly well.
i'll pass on the tan,, white, black, or a brighter color are fine with me.
miltown no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #1213
Markitect

Some more on the Moderne proposal...

^ The Moderne takes its name from the building's architectural style--Streamline Moderne. A popular design motif of the late-1930s, the crisp, rounded, sleek styling of Streamline Moderne was applied to just about everything imaginable--buildings, automobiles, trains, boats, household appliances, you name it. This view shows how the Moderne contrasts with the late-nineteenth century commercial buildings along Old World Third Street.

^ A rendering showing a view of the north facade, looking south down Old World Third Street.

^ The horizontal bands of windows and column-less rounded corner glass panels are signature elements of the Streamline Moderne style. Although the tower will include five levels of indoor parking, the garage is blended very well into the overall appearance of the building.

A critique of the Moderne from Journal Sentinel architecture critic Whitney Gould: Crisp tower would add to skyline

Also be sure to check out the photo slideshow for even more renderings.

Last edited by Markitect; April 30th, 2007 at 09:33 AM.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #1214
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I really like the building now.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #1215
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

I like how it would fit in the area. Build it.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1216
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 206

What more pictures do to change minds....
brewcityfan está en línea ahora  
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #1217
exit_320

Does anyone know where more renderings of the Chase Parking Structure Tower can be found? There is a small new one on this week's Biztimes and it looks like the material for the tower has changed a bit, but no other renderings and it only shows the lower floors.
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #1218
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1236

There is a rendering in todays Journal showing the Moderne super imposed in the Milwaukee skyline or ariel shot. Someone please post if they have that opportunity. This truly shows the importance of a tower of this magnitude at the foot of the Park East.
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #1219
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
There is a rendering in todays Journal showing the Moderne super imposed in the Milwaukee skyline or ariel shot. Someone please post if they have that opportunity. This truly shows the importance of a tower of this magnitude at the foot of the Park East.
In in the "more pictures" part of Whitney Gould's article
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1220
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewarning View Post
Only in Milwaukee would a tower like this be scoffed at. By no means is it SwissRe, Turning Torso, Chrysler Buildling, or John Hancock--but its still pretty cool. I personally think its a good design for that location.
For the record, I like the building and hope it gets built. I am just surprised that a bit more originality isn't out there. Whitney Gould's article in the MJS gushes, but doesn't report on the obvious similarities of The Moderne and The UCT and KT -- especially the one view that looks as though the two condo neighbors actually morphed into one. That being said, I especially like the view from Old World Third St. in front of Usinger's...pretty nice, the stark contrast of old and new.

Good luck to the visionary development team. Hope this gets done.

Closed Thread