daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM   #1241
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

New Retail Space on Water and Wisconsin?

Yesterday I was walking down Water Street past the Chase Tower when I spotted some renderings and site plans for new retail space at the street level of the Chase Tower. Essentially the plaza on the north end of the Chase Tower at the corner of Water and Wisconsin would be built out with glass-enclosed restaurant space, and the west edge of the building facing the river would have riverfrtont dining and deli space.

The renderings looked great. The project would enliven the corner of Water and Wisconsin and would bring some much needed activity to the Riverwalk section between Wisconsin Avenue and Michigan Street.

The renderings were dated March 2007, and are in the window facing Water Street. So far I haven't been able to find any information about this online, although the renderings seemed to indicate that the space is being marketed by MLG.

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM   #1242
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
Yesterday I was walking down Water Street past the Chase Tower when I spotted some renderings and site plans for new retail space at the street level of the Chase Tower. Essentially the plaza on the north end of the Chase Tower at the corner of Water and Wisconsin would be built out with glass-enclosed restaurant space, and the west edge of the building facing the river would have riverfrtont dining and deli space.

The renderings looked great. The project would enliven the corner of Water and Wisconsin and would bring some much needed activity to the Riverwalk section between Wisconsin Avenue and Michigan Street.

The renderings were dated March 2007, and are in the window facing Water Street. So far I haven't been able to find any information about this online, although the renderings seemed to indicate that the space is being marketed by MLG.

I have pictures I took of the renderings at home.. if I can get my computer at home to work I will upload them on here tonight. The architect's website is http://www.riparchs.com . They are they same firm designing the second tower, but as of yesterday there were no renderings of either proposal on their website.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1243
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
I have pictures I took of the renderings at home.. if I can get my computer at home to work I will upload them on here tonight. The architect's website is http://www.riparchs.com . They are they same firm designing the second tower, but as of yesterday there were no renderings of either proposal on their website.
Wow, there are some nice projects on their website. I'm surprised that the second tower proposal was designed by the same people. Amazing.

PS - sorry for fueling the fire in that last argument.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1244
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
Ok, you just made a huge ass of yourself because

a) you reposted all those pictures when it was not necessary to do so (I used to do this, but stopped when I realized it wasn's necessary).

b) you totally missed the point of the post. Did you even read it?

c) you were a jackass for no reason
Thanks for noticing. You must have some things in common with the animal yourself. I admit that I might have overdone my reply, but, no, I did not totally miss the point of the post. And, you know, maybe I wanted to repost the pictures for the sake of making the point that we didn't really need to see them in the first place - certainly not all of them. Anything else?
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1245
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Not to be rallying to skyking's side here, but when hasn't someone on this thread made an ass of himself at least once or twice?

In this particular city's thread, we posters are so widespread in viewpoints it makes us look like the little engine that couldn't. Take a look at this particular project as an example. With one picture you had posters crying foul with distaste and slapping the building around like its a trashy design. But, once other pictures begin floating around all the sudden the viewpoints change and its all gung-ho and "hey it's not so bad".

I think people need to make up their minds on the future of this city and its projects - either you want it or you don't. And perhaps what we read in this thread is a reflection of how it is outside this forum - and perhaps that's a reason why projects and businesses get turned off. Milwaukeeians can be way too picky about what they want, and it can at times turn sour. I know that local media portrays at times the extremely negative viewpoints on developments downtown and outside downtown, and some of that trails its way on this thread. And I'd think that developers and possibly corporations look at the overall feel of things, and I wouldn't be surprised if some get turned off because we don't believe in ourselves or our potential. I mean who gives a damn about developments and new high rises when the overall belief is failure and denial of any of these getting cranes on their properties.

I absolutely find it stunning that Chicagoans (and its local media) sing more praise about Milwaukee and its metro than the hometown crowd (and media) at times.
Here! Here!
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1246
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
There is currently a building under construction on that parcel
No kidding? I wasn't aware of that. I'm afraid to ask, but, what's going up there? Can't be anything too much since I haven't heard anything about it. Or, just maybe somebody is sneaking in a 45-50 story building there, and didn't want to cause a stir.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:26 PM   #1247
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Here! Here!
Are you in a happy mood today? You're surprising me with a toast. I thought at least I'd be mauled by what I said from you.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM   #1248
exit_320

Quote:
No kidding? I wasn't aware of that. I'm afraid to ask, but, what's going up there? Can't be anything too much since I haven't heard anything about it. Or, just maybe somebody is sneaking in a 45-50 story building there, and didn't want to cause a stir.
Actually 80 stories with an aquarium at top!

But back in reality there are 4 townhomes being developed by New Land Enterprises called Terrace Row. Looks like it will be quick construction
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #1249
Bluewarning
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Oh give me a break. Just because this is a skyscraper forum and most of us want to see nice shiny new tall buildings doesn't mean we can't view proposed projects with a critical eye. I'm not scoffing at it. I'm simply pointing out that the front-side view that was first shown is incredibly similar to UCT and Kilbourn. Now that I've seen the side views I don't think that applies as much.

I would love to see it built but how likely is that, really? There are so many proposed towers in downtown Milwaukee... it seems as though now we're just adding to the pile of likely disappointment.

Sorry to be all pessimistic but it's just how I feel. That's the point of this forum.. to talk about city development - no matter how you feel about it.
But its not just this tower or particular project. Everything from the new Manpower and Park Lafayette to Miller Park and Pier Wisconsin has been criticized since Ive joined. The problem is that people on here are expecting the city to build the next Calatrava. Even New York, Paris, Tokyo and London build alot of ho-hum shit. And this is by no means ho-hum--rather more conservative. Do we want some oddball tower there anyway? Its going to be right across from Ruvin--which is a love it or hate it building.

Its nice to have good taste for our beautiful city--but its a bit unrealistic. I personally could give a damn about the architecture and more about whats inside the building. Workers, young proffesionales, tax payers, and travelers. Sure, most propsals are going to die. We have had plenty of cool buildings that did. But, at least there is great interest in companies wishing to construct towers and building homes in our fair city. Some of them without tax payer money.
Bluewarning no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM   #1250
brewcityfan

Beautifully said.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:56 AM   #1251
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

From JSonline.com

TUESDAY, May 1, 2007, 12 p.m.
By Tom Daykin
City to study bid for Park East Square aid

The Department of City Development will analyze possible city financial assistance for a controversial development proposal in Milwaukee's Park East area, under a measure approved today by a Common Council committee.

The Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee voted 5-0 to recommend the study of Park East Square, which seeks to build a hotel, housing and retail space, west of N. Jefferson St., between E. Lyon St. and E. Ogden Ave. The study requires full council approval.

Development department officials, based on an initial analysis, have rebuffed a request by Park East Square developer Richard Curto for $9.5 million in city funds to help finance the $77.7 million project. Committee members, however, said they wanted a more extensive feasibility study of the proposed financing. The city funds would be repaid by property taxes from the new development.

Development Commissioner Rocky Marcoux says Curto should stick with his original plan, which called for a $40.1 million first phase - and no public cash. However, Ald. Mike D'Amato, zoning committee chairman, said the larger project would provide more property tax revenue and jobs.

The committee vote comes amid comments by some developers that the development department should be more aggressive in providing financial assistance and zoning flexibility to help spur projects in the Park East area, where a former freeway was razed over three years ago.

Marcoux says the city has helped support some projects, but does not want to support developments that are speculative - saying those projects could hurt existing downtown buildings. Some committee members suggested today they support that position, and made it clear that approving the study of Park East Square doesn't mean they'll eventually approve financing for the project.
EastSider no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:19 AM   #1252
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Gee, thanks for wasting our time with these meaningless pictures from Miami. I take it you've been there...ooooohh, we're soooo impressed. Your attempt to draw a comparison to The Moderne is weak, at best. But, thanks again for showing us pictures of your Miami vacation.
Yes, the entire point of that post was to boast about how much more worldy I am than all of you silly fools. Not to prove a point about anything, you know, especially about a historic style of architecutre and its pertinence today. And you're right, the similarity between Moderne and Miami Deco is just insipid and silly and conception. How blasphemously conceited of me.

I am an animal and you understood entirely the post in question.

Last edited by CGII; May 2nd, 2007 at 02:24 AM.
CGII no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:16 AM   #1253
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
TUESDAY, May 1, 2007, 12 p.m.
By Tom Daykin
City to study bid for Park East Square aid

The Department of City Development will analyze possible city financial assistance for a controversial development proposal in Milwaukee's Park East area, under a measure approved today by a Common Council committee.

The Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee voted 5-0 to recommend the study of Park East Square, which seeks to build a hotel, housing and retail space, west of N. Jefferson St., between E. Lyon St. and E. Ogden Ave. The study requires full council approval.

Development department officials, based on an initial analysis, have rebuffed a request by Park East Square developer Richard Curto for $9.5 million in city funds to help finance the $77.7 million project. Committee members, however, said they wanted a more extensive feasibility study of the proposed financing. The city funds would be repaid by property taxes from the new development.

Development Commissioner Rocky Marcoux says Curto should stick with his original plan, which called for a $40.1 million first phase - and no public cash. However, Ald. Mike D'Amato, zoning committee chairman, said the larger project would provide more property tax revenue and jobs.

The committee vote comes amid comments by some developers that the development department should be more aggressive in providing financial assistance and zoning flexibility to help spur projects in the Park East area, where a former freeway was razed over three years ago.

Marcoux says the city has helped support some projects, but does not want to support developments that are speculative - saying those projects could hurt existing downtown buildings. Some committee members suggested today they support that position, and made it clear that approving the study of Park East Square doesn't mean they'll eventually approve financing for the project.
I think that this is actually good news for development in Milwaukee. The city should make it easier for high-quality buildings to be approved and built cheaply throughout the city but htey shouldn't be doleing out TIF's and loans. These should only be used for projects that could act as a catalyst for their surrounding areas and use the money that would be spent on loans towards better infrastructure to encourage development. Des Moines demolished a swath of underused land west of downtown and created a public park/ library which has brought about an immense amount of development without subsidising private developments. The city should give financial help to projects like some sort of permanent redevelopment of the Grand Ave, remodeling the empty blocks on E. Wisconsin and one or two select projects in the Park East but otherwise it should devote precious funds to other causes.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:46 AM   #1254
exit_320

Chase Tower Additions

Computer is up and running! Here are the pics:

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1255
brewcityfan

Is that a Johnny Rockets I see in the last picture!? Finally another popular restauraunt wants a piece of the pie downtown.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM   #1256
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Thanks for sharing exit...I'm still confused about how this will be incorporated into the current structure. Will there be new construction for parts of this, or just current space converted?
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM   #1257
exit_320

If you look at the floorplan, most of the yellow area on the wisconsin ave side is new or reconfigured space. The external yellow parts are extensions, and the internal yellow space where you see the restaurant and display kitchen is currently being used as the new owner's office space.. which consists of 2 desks in the middle of a large empty room.

They are currently constructing the concierge desk and have moved out some furniture from the lobby areas. Yesterday I saw some construction crews taking measurements on site.

And yes, the rendering shows a Johnny Rockets, but I haven't heard any announcements of them being a confirmed tenant for the restaurant space.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #1258
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Thanks for posting the photos, exit320. I think this would be great for Downtown Milwaukee, as it would add more life to the most prominent intersection in Downtown. If it happens it will completely alter the whole feel of the the Riverwalk near the Wisconsin Avenue bridge. It will mean, however, that the famous hot dog man who grills sausages in the current plaza of the Chase Tower will have to find a new home.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1259
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Yes, the entire point of that post was to boast about how much more worldy I am than all of you silly fools. Not to prove a point about anything, you know, especially about a historic style of architecutre and its pertinence today. And you're right, the similarity between Moderne and Miami Deco is just insipid and silly and conception. How blasphemously conceited of me.

I am an animal and you understood entirely the post in question.
Now, that is a great-looking post, CGII!! The side-by-side comparison with one, appropriate picture is a good visual. And, now that I've seen other angles of The Moderne (like many others have posted), the similarities between the UCT and KT are not as obvious. This (original) rendering, though, is the one view which most resembles a combo UCT/KT look.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1260
Skyking2
BANNED

Thanks for the info on the Chase Tower, Exit three-twenty. Unfortunately, it shows nothing of the proposed addition on top of the parking structure. That is what I was most interested in, though the renovation plans look interesting...

Closed Thread