daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #1281
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Could you please define what you're going for when you say "developers wanted upscale shops" in the Park East?
Let me first say that I rephrased what I said earlier, thanks to MilwaukeeD's post.
Quote:
Well let me rephrase, some were worried that The Grand might lose possible upscale prospect due to retail developments in the Park East. And no, I don't consider Target upscale. Some in my suburb of Franklin do though, and it pisses me off tremendously. And if Best Buy isn't a cheaper store, then there should be no problems implementing this into The Grand. I for one would have a reason to shop there when I'm downtown. And it's better than a TJMaxx..
And what I'm going for when talking about developers looking for upscale shops, I'm looking and comparing what they're proposing as retail in their developments. I wouldn't believe 10,000-30,000 sq ft could amount to anything like a mid-box or big box store, which is what most of the proposals call for in retail. I understood that apparently a developer was looking into a Target (thanks to MilwaukeeD) and that I feel it's not. But other stores with a sq footage like that are usually a little more upscale, and I think upscale stores would be interested in a store away from The Grand, like Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Club Monaco, etc.
brewcityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #1282
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Retail/entertainment tenants being pursued by RSC for Park East Square, phase one:

Krispy Kreme, McDonald's, Subway, Potbelly Sandwich Works, Hyde Park Steakhouse, Qdoba, Noodles & Company, FedEx/Kinkos, Verizon Wireless, Neroli Spa & Salon, Lucky Strike Bowling, TCF Bank

Retail/entertainment tenants being pursued by RSC for Park East Square, phase two:

Target, Barnes & Noble, LA Fitness, a movie theater

Not really all that upscale.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1283
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

RSC

Please can Milwaukee TIF RSC so we can get a Krispy Kreme, McDonald's, or even a Subway...! ick! Sounds like a suburban strip mall to me.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1284
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Please can Milwaukee TIF RSC so we can get a Krispy Kreme, McDonald's, or even a Subway...! ick! Sounds like a suburban strip mall to me.
Alright but what about the other probable tenants? LA Fitness, a movie theater, Barnes and Noble, Neroli Spa/Salon, Hyde Park Steakhouse, Lucky Strike Bowling???

Some of those could/are in suburban strip malls, but the city also has strip malls that are worse than that.....jeez the singling out here is ridiculous.

And Markitect that's just one project.
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1285
Twoaday

pardon me

I did leave out Qdoba, Noodles & Company, FedEx/Kinkos, Verizon Wireless, and TCF Bank as well. Fact is the majority of the tenants they were going after were well less than exciting and will open branches in Milwaukee without a handout. Really from seeing this tenant list I'd say this better suited for Franklin than the Park East.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1286
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday
Fact is the majority of the tenants they were going after were well less than exciting and will open branches in Milwaukee without a handout.
Not to mention some of them are already located in Downtown. And many of those that aren't, are pretty much clones of stuff already Downtown. That is one of the reasons why DCD does not support the idea of using TIF for this proposal.

There are a few unique-to-Downtown tenants on the list. Lucky Strike Bowling is not the stereotypical Milwaukee bowling alley of yesteryear; it's pretty upscale, perhaps one of the most upscale things on the list (coming in after the Hyde Park restaurant). The movie theater is also something Downtown doesn't have, and an appropriately-sized multi-screen theater would be great to have (which could go either way on being upscale or regular-scale). The Target is by no means upscale, but they actually have experience fitting their big-boxes into urban contexts.

Last edited by Markitect; May 5th, 2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #1287
Bluewarning
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
He did.
whats up with that? MilwaukeeMark and i am hydrogen--both people I used to find cool, now bent against me?

My post had not a damn thing to do with politics and is ten times more meaningful to the City of Milwaukee than nonstop banter about some of the pointless bitchfests that have been posted here over the years.
Bluewarning no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #1288
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Not to mention some of them are already located in Downtown. And many of those that aren't, are pretty much clones of stuff already Downtown. That is one of the reasons why DCD does not support the idea of using TIF for this proposal.

There are a few unique-to-Downtown tenants on the list. Lucky Strike Bowling is not the stereotypical Milwaukee bowling alley of yesteryear; it's pretty upscale, perhaps one of the most upscale things on the list (coming in after the Hyde Park restaurant). The movie theater is also something Downtown doesn't have, and an appropriately-sized multi-screen theater would be great to have (which could go either way on being upscale or regular-scale). The Target is by no means upscale, but they actually have experience fitting their big-boxes into urban contexts.
Well for once I can actually, publicly say thank you Markitect for at least TRYING to see some of the upscale possibilities. And if those would be confirmed as definitely interested, does that mean the TIF will be less complained about? I think I know what anyone is going to say after this - ABSOLUTELY NOT.

But I have noticed that twoaday in particular absolutely hates this developer, RSC. Twoaday - some of those names are already located in Franklin too. Over 100 possible tenants were interested in the Fountains of Franklin development on 51st and Rawson, and Sendik's is guaranteed to begin building once our council approves.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #1289
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Couple give $51 million to Marquette
Record donation will launch construction of law building
By ALAN J. BORSUK
[email protected]
Posted: May 4, 2007

Almost 60 years after graduating from Marquette University, a couple who made their fortune moving cargo up and down the Mississippi River will donate $51 million to the university, a gift that will launch construction of a new law school building.

The new Marquette University Law School building will occupy a prominent spot overlooking the Marquette Interchange, symbolizing the school's mission of reaching out to the community.

The grant is believed to be the largest single gift by individuals to a Wisconsin university or college and one of the largest gifts on record to a law school in the United States.

The new $80 million law school building will be in a high-visibility location overlooking the Marquette Interchange, MU officials said Thursday. They hope to break ground on the four-story structure next spring and move in by fall 2009.

nice looking building at a very prominant location

id like to see a best buy at the grand, they just need to tweak those designs a little but i like the plans....
miltown no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #1290
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
The new $80 million law school building will be in a high-visibility location overlooking the Marquette Interchange.
Uhh...can we have an address? I have no idea where this building supposed to be built. It looks like a pretty obscure part of the campus.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #1291
Markitect

The new Marquette Law School looks really great...a nice contemporary design. With that curved south-facing glass facade, it'll be able to take advantage of excellent solar access for natural daylighting and heating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf
I have no idea where this building supposed to be built
Northwest corner of W. Clybourn/Tory Hill and N. 11th Streets.

By the way, here is a link to the full Journal Sentinel article: Couple give $51 million to Marquette - Record donation will launch construction of law building

Last edited by Markitect; May 5th, 2007 at 04:41 AM.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #1292
LAX100

I think this is wonderful news for MU. I hate to be a downer but I really wish they would have thought about building it in a more prominent loaction downtown. All of the Chicago law schools like Kent, Loyola, John Marshall are right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. If they really wanted to be an active part of the community I don't know if locating the school on the edge of downtown next to the interstate is the best place... although i guess i'm really not sure what that area is like.
LAX100 no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #1293
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

So "connecting to the community"=building next to the freeway? It's a nice building, I just wish they'd put it on some of the vacant land Marquette owns along Wisconsin and Wells instead of on Clybourn.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #1294
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

JSonline: Roots growing, bit by bit

Big plan, lots of work

The 2004 Washington Park plan envisioned improvements for Lisbon Ave. in part of Walnut Hill, but those haven't happened yet.

"You wonder: Wait a second, what's happening here? Is there a plan? Well there is, but nobody's working the plan," said Damon Dorsey, a developer who was formerly executive director of the North Avenue Community Development Corp.

Several community organizations and non-profit developers are part of Washington Park Partners.

Lisbon Avenue Neighborhood Development is the lead agency, while national non-profit Local Initiatives Support Corp. is charged with generating capital.

It has spent about $550,000 on the greater Washington Park area since 2003, as well as hundreds of thousands more in predevelopment financing and construction loans, said program director Leo Ries.

Ries and others involved with Washington Park Partners acknowledge that Lisbon development has moved slowly. But they point to several accomplishments and future developments.

Dorsey's firm, the Dorsey Group, is working with Commonwealth Development Corp. to develop 24 units of affordable housing on W. Lisbon Ave. from N. 28th to N. 33rd streets.

Nearby, the vacant St. Thomas Aquinas Church at W. Brown and N. 35th streets is scheduled for conversion to a family resource center that will offer mental health services, tutoring and other after-school programs.

Lisbon Avenue Neighborhood Development is working with for-profit developer City Ventures on a proposed eight- or nine-unit development on the northwest corner of W. Galena and N. 35th streets.

"Neighborhood development is by its nature incremental. We're just building momentum," Ries said.

Excerpt (Full Article: JSonline.com)

Last edited by EastSider; May 5th, 2007 at 06:39 AM.
EastSider no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #1295
brewcityfan

The MU addition will add class and style to travelers visiting Milwaukee and the university for the first time. The design of the building and its location will only boost Milwaukee's image to first-timers and add pride to those who live in the metro area. Cheers are in order for the donors.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1296
Twoaday

brewcityfan> And the Fountains of Franklin development is simply a strip mall with an outbuilding or two. That's kinda my point, not all development is good development and not every development deserves a TID. I don't know the folks at RSC so I really don't hate them but as the tenant list shows how in the world does that deserve a TID? Also did you see the small business times article about the Staybridge folks saying hey we were turned down for a TID now you are going to give one to a competitor... how about us? Talk about making developers nervous, well D'Amato has by his actions lets say irked the Staybridge folks.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1297
usbmfa

Likes (Received): 40

My two cents. Great news for MU, and I like the location. I like that it will be visible from the Mchange. I am sure MU will continue to fill in empty lots around the Wisconsin Ave area in the future, so its not really a loss for the location of the new building. As for the Grand, I personlly think the place is so bleak now that I am willing to let a serious developer have a free hand in renovation if it will bring viable retail to the mall. Yes, Plankington arcade was nice, but it is already ruined by the recent renovations for TJmaxx and Linens and Things, Old Navy, etc. I say do what you have to make the mall successful. I am willing to lose the glass roof, too. Its usually just covered with Seagull sh!t anyway, and looks terrible. The north end of the mall currently is just terrible with the pastel color scheme. I don't know what they were thinking. Bring in all the suburban retail outfits. You know why, because that is now how America shops, so we have to live with it. If you want a Grand Ave of unique shops, you will never get it. Thats what the third ward is for. Living in downtown Milwuakee is expensive enough, if I can save money by not driving to the burbs to shop, and ideally not having to pay to park in a structure, I'll be a happy camper. A successful Grand Ave, regardless of how it looks (within reason), will be a net positive for downtown. Basically, I just really dislike the current Grand Ave, this is just my opinion.
usbmfa no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #1298
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
brewcityfan> And the Fountains of Franklin development is simply a strip mall with an outbuilding or two. That's kinda my point, not all development is good development and not every development deserves a TID. I don't know the folks at RSC so I really don't hate them but as the tenant list shows how in the world does that deserve a TID? Also did you see the small business times article about the Staybridge folks saying hey we were turned down for a TID now you are going to give one to a competitor... how about us? Talk about making developers nervous, well D'Amato has by his actions lets say irked the Staybridge folks.
I just hope when you stated your opinion about the Fountains you actually went to the website and took a peek at what the land will look like. That's the second largest mixed-use parcel other than Southridge for the southern half of the county.

As for RSC - I didn't think you knew them either - for your opinions of them might have been a little brighter. But I think the city really dug themselves in a hole with their TIFs. Both sides have good arguments. And agreed - developers on both sides of this fence I'm sure are nervous, making whatever the city agrees on for a template a milestone for who is still interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbmfa View Post
My two cents. Great news for MU, and I like the location. I like that it will be visible from the Mchange. I am sure MU will continue to fill in empty lots around the Wisconsin Ave area in the future, so its not really a loss for the location of the new building. As for the Grand, I personlly think the place is so bleak now that I am willing to let a serious developer have a free hand in renovation if it will bring viable retail to the mall. Yes, Plankington arcade was nice, but it is already ruined by the recent renovations for TJmaxx and Linens and Things, Old Navy, etc. I say do what you have to make the mall successful. I am willing to lose the glass roof, too. Its usually just covered with Seagull sh!t anyway, and looks terrible. The north end of the mall currently is just terrible with the pastel color scheme. I don't know what they were thinking. Bring in all the suburban retail outfits. You know why, because that is now how America shops, so we have to live with it. If you want a Grand Ave of unique shops, you will never get it. Thats what the third ward is for. Living in downtown Milwuakee is expensive enough, if I can save money by not driving to the burbs to shop, and ideally not having to pay to park in a structure, I'll be a happy camper. A successful Grand Ave, regardless of how it looks (within reason), will be a net positive for downtown. Basically, I just really dislike the current Grand Ave, this is just my opinion.
And I think that's the general consensus of those living outside of the downtown area. The only point I'd maybe disagree with you on would be the Arcade. I think exit_320 had a good point that the Arcade is very histrorical and had a rich past, and it shouldn't be horribly ripped apart for a mid-box store. I'd hope that the owner would incorporate some better option for the location. I also feel that if people living downtown can stick in downtown for shopping, as well as suburbanites traveling downtown to shop, the retail sector could definitiely get a boost. I know many who travel to downtown Chicago to get the downtown experience just because ours really doesn't have that yet.
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1299
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX100 View Post
I think this is wonderful news for MU. I hate to be a downer but I really wish they would have thought about building it in a more prominent loaction downtown. All of the Chicago law schools like Kent, Loyola, John Marshall are right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. If they really wanted to be an active part of the community I don't know if locating the school on the edge of downtown next to the interstate is the best place... although i guess i'm really not sure what that area is like.

the place where this building is being built could bee seen by 200,000+ people a day it is a very prominent location....

right where the yellow pin is, right next to the Marquette interchange...

miltown no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #1300
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
the place where this building is being built could bee seen by 200,000+ people a day it is a very prominent location....

right where the yellow pin is, right next to the Marquette interchange...
I never knew there was so much land in that spot! It further gives me confidence that they made the right choice. The building will stand out and bring a sense of modernism to the interchange. All of downtown Milwaukee's new developments really can't be seen on the freeway *yet*. This gives travelers a sense of how well Milwaukee is doing, and gives MU a bit more prominence.

Closed Thread