daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1301
LAX100

Likes (Received): 0

Hey that is a great location...MU students get an awesome view of some concrete, and the majestic beauty that is the interchange, ooh and don't forget the smog. And milwaukee commuters get to see how important MU is to the city while they're blazing past at 60mph. And economically speaking just look at all the resturants and businesses that will benefit downtown with such a central location.

I love it!!!
LAX100 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #1302
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX100 View Post
Hey that is a great location...MU students get an awesome view of some concrete, and the majestic beauty that is the interchange, ooh and don't forget the smog. And milwaukee commuters get to see how important MU is to the city while they're blazing past at 60mph. And economically speaking just look at all the resturants and businesses that will benefit downtown with such a central location.

I love it!!!
For one, Marquette University is already next to the interchange and they have the land available so why not use it. This location argument is retarded. Two, I think the interchange is going to look mighty nice when finished. Three, smog is not centered around freeway systems. Four, Milwaukee is capitalized. And five, restaurants and businesses will certainly benefit from a new educational facility like this. New school = new students = higher young professional population = economic boost.

Last edited by MilwaukeeMark; May 6th, 2007 at 05:39 AM.
MilwaukeeMark no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #1303
LAX100

This is great for the university either way. I guess I'm just partial to the way most of the chicago universities have their law schools right downtown in the business and entertainment districts. And I don't think the location argument is a poor argument. I think if the university has plenty of options to make a statement about being a part of the city. My opinion is that being apart of the hustle and bustle is a bigger statment than their current location. It's just an opinon though, just as is yours that the location at the interchange is a good location so you can't bash me for it.
LAX100 no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #1304
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I'm still having trouble conceptualizing the location based on that picture. It seems to have been drawn randomly without consideration for its actual location.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #1305
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
I'm still having trouble conceptualizing the location based on that picture. It seems to have been drawn randomly without consideration for its actual location.
I had the same trouble when I first saw it, because the drawing isn't being viewed from the Marquette Interchange. I believe it's a view from Clybourn/Tory Hill. I think someone mentioned that on here the last page - Markitect perhaps. If I'm wrong, sorry.

And MilwaukeeMark - good post.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #1306
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
This is great for the university either way. I guess I'm just partial to the way most of the chicago universities have their law schools right downtown in the business and entertainment districts. And I don't think the location argument is a poor argument. I think if the university has plenty of options to make a statement about being a part of the city. My opinion is that being apart of the hustle and bustle is a bigger statment than their current location. It's just an opinon though, just as is yours that the location at the interchange is a good location so you can't bash me for it.
Wow your argument is just stupid. Have you been to Marquette? It's on a hill. There's plenty to see beyond the expressway. It's not like it's a scenic overlook of the New Jersey Turnpike.
Second, Marquette is in the middle of the city. It's surrounded to the North and West by large apartment blocks, to the South the Menominee Valley industral district, and to the East, the Retail and Gov't centres of downtown. It just happened that urban location is where (lamentably) the freeway was dropped. Is the West Loop in Chicago suddenly 'not urban' because an expressway runs through it?
Third, this building will add plenty of vitality and urbanity in a place that currently has little of either.

Last edited by CGII; May 6th, 2007 at 05:21 AM.
CGII no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #1307
LAX100

thanks man...you're cool in my book.
LAX100 no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #1308
LAX100

Though you're right I haven't been to that location, I was just using the map as my guide post. I didn't mean to bring up such hostilities. As I said it's only an opinion.
LAX100 no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #1309
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

No hostilities taken/implied, it's just not wise to develop such strong opinions based on speculative evidence.
CGII no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #1310
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
this site is like 5 blocks from downtown. the chicago universities are much further from downtown, so it makes sense for them to have a seperate downtown campus. marquette is too close to downtown for it to make sense to have a whole 'nother campus.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #1311
usbmfa

Likes (Received): 40

LAX100, To use UW-Madison as an example, I'd say the location of the MU building is comparable to building on Bascom Hill vs Johnson St. Bascom Hill is the scenic traditional campus part of the university, whereas Johnson St is clearly urban. Both locations are within the campus, just due to the size of the campus, some of it is urban and some is a more traditional university campus setting. MU is similar to Madison that way. Either way MU and the city win with this one.
usbmfa no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #1312
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1328

Marquette Law School Location

What I think is being missed here is the visibility of both Michigan Street and Tory Hill street as major arterials in this location. These roads have been rebuilt and have or will become a major east/west thoroughfare for downtown Milwaukee. Businesses will continue to grow here as traffic patterns change once the freeway is complete. Thus making this location prime real-estate and a center point for the new Marquette law school. Look carefully at the ariel picture and follow the road east. Wide and winding. There is a lot of potential for future construction.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #1313
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I like the design of that Law building. I think it's in a decent location, great for passers-by to see what Marquette offers, although the view from the law building is going to be a bit less interesting. Don't get me wrong.. I love well designed interchanges as much as the next SSC poster, but the average college student isn't going to think all that concrete is a very spectacular view.

Lastly, on a side note, I drive out to Delafield to work everyday and I've noticed that a large stretch of 94 from the Waukesha to the Pewaukee area has a median with emergency lanes that are almost two lanes wide. I looks as if it was intentionally made for potential future expansion into 4 lanes per side as opposed to 3. Am I correct on this or was there another reason
D-res no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #1314
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-res View Post
I like the design of that Law building. I think it's in a decent location, great for passers-by to see what Marquette offers, although the view from the law building is going to be a bit less interesting. Don't get me wrong.. I love well designed interchanges as much as the next SSC poster, but the average college student isn't going to think all that concrete is a very spectacular view.
Well at least we'll know that students won't be staring out the window and daydreaming.....
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #1315
Bluewarning
BANNED

the design and location of the new Law School is incredible. It will add to the prominence of Marquette and be a benefit to the downtown area.
Bluewarning no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #1316
brewcityfan

The only thing I'm stunned about is the cost. $80 million?? I must be living years behind....but I thought you could get more building for that cost.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #1317
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
The only thing I'm stunned about is the cost. $80 million?? I must be living years behind....but I thought you could get more building for that cost.

It does look like it will have a lot of square feet, and it is Marquette, so everything will be top of the line and the newest technology.....
miltown no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #1318
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
well the underground parking alone will cost $15-20 milllion.

imagine what marquette could do to advance higher education in Milwaukee if they didn't have to spend so much of their money on those fancy new parking garages or this underground parking! keep driving those cars!
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #1319
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
well the underground parking alone will cost $15-20 milllion.

imagine what marquette could do to advance higher education in Milwaukee if they didn't have to spend so much of their money on those fancy new parking garages or this underground parking! keep driving those cars!
You would reintroduce the argument.....tisk tisk tisk MilwaukeeD

You know, there are bus routes that go past Marquette....and there are student dorms....I didn't think there were that many law professors!
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #1320
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

Anyone want to call Marquette and get them to build the Law School extension without parking and donate the $15-20 million to MCTS instead? Just joking, I don't want to start an argument in this thread, too.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  

Closed Thread