daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #1321
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-københavn View Post
Anyone want to call Marquette and get them to build the Law School extension without parking and donate the $15-20 million to MCTS instead? Just joking, I don't want to start an argument in this thread, too.
Indeed..................

Well anyways I'd think Marquette would keep the $20 mil for a different project.
brewcityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1322
downtownVital.org
You can call me Dan

Likes (Received): 4

Well, at least they are spending for their own underground parking instead of trying to save money and look for surface parking or a ramp nearby. If everyone who was building in an urban area spent for their own underground parking, seems to me we'd have higher density and areas that could be better accessible to those who don't drive. People drive, that's just how it is, so credit to Marquette for dealing with that in what seems to be the best practical way.

http://www.downtownvital.org
downtownVital.org no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #1323
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownVital.org View Post
Well, at least they are spending for their own underground parking instead of trying to save money and look for surface parking or a ramp nearby. If everyone who was building in an urban area spent for their own underground parking, seems to me we'd have higher density and areas that could be better accessible to those who don't drive. People drive, that's just how it is, so credit to Marquette for dealing with that in what seems to be the best practical way.
Yes sir, as some Milwaukee posters would probably jab: "No suburban seas of asphalt here!"
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #1324
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

parking

downtownVital.org> It is good that MU is putting their parking underground as the last thing we need is another surface lot or street level parking garage. But if we could improve our mass transit and then reduce parking demands in the city we could see bigger and yes taller (for skyking) projects built. Because at 50k a parking spot to build underground or 30k a spot for a regular garage parking demands add enormously to the cost of a project.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1325
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
downtownVital.org> It is good that MU is putting their parking underground as the last thing we need is another surface lot or street level parking garage. But if we could improve our mass transit and then reduce parking demands in the city we could see bigger and yes taller (for skyking) projects built. Because at 50k a parking spot to build underground or 30k a spot for a regular garage parking demands add enormously to the cost of a project.
Twoaday - companies look at more things other than how people get to work. I believe skyking would be the first to say businesses hate our tax climate more-so than transportation. Enhancing transit will only do so much. And right now what part(s) of the population are you trying to use the transit?
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #1326
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

duh!

brewcityfan> duh ya think..

Well lets see as gas hits $4 a gallon this summer I'd say pretty much anyone might think about using mass transit (they did last year nationally). Anyhow the point was that costs associated with building parking for a building are tremendous (note 50k/car underground 30k/car above ground structure), and that with improved mass transit (KRM, BRT, light rail, streetcar) the parking requirements could go down allowing developers to put that money into the building instead of parking. This in fact came up during CC meetings last year about the Connector and developers went on record supporting transit so they could do just this.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #1327
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Guys, sorry to hijack the thread, but can we talk about what really matters? The brewers are 22-10 and have the best record in baseball!
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #1328
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

I am hoping that the excitement over the brewers will help change the rest of the state's perception of our fair city...as they come more often to go to games and hopefully do some other stuff around town...and...gasp...they don't get shot in the crime-ridden hellhole but actually have a great time instead.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #1329
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
I am hoping that the excitement over the brewers will help change the rest of the state's perception of our fair city...as they come more often to go to games and hopefully do some other stuff around town...and...gasp...they don't get shot in the crime-ridden hellhole but actually have a great time instead.
I don't know.. I saw a drunk homeless guy pissing on a truck in the Miller Park parking lot on Sunday.. not going to change perceptions of the city too much.

Oh wait, it was just a drunk frat boy. False alarm
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #1330
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
Guys, sorry to hijack the thread, but can we talk about what really matters? The brewers are 22-10 and have the best record in baseball!
Please don't jinx us fiddler!
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #1331
liebeaffe

Likes (Received): 148

Seeing Milwaukee

For the longest time, I hadn't jumped over to Milwaukee. Then I got in touch with an old friend living in Riverwest and now love Milwaukee more than my home town.

I think something like the Brewer's attraction this season will help people visit and the city will sell itself, at least a place to visit.
liebeaffe no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #1332
FutureChicaukeean
mmm...Cheese

Likes (Received): 0

Speaking of the Brewers and the impact they are having on our city...

I went to the game last night against the Nationals and I saw signs of what you guys are talking about.

First off me and a friend took MCTS Route 90 which stops all along Wisconsin Ave through Downtown and into the West Side taking fans to Miller Park. The bus was jam packed and people were decked out in Brewers gear including the two of us.

Let me just say that standing on a stopping bus when you are drunk is a tough task.

After the game was over we got back on the bus and headed towards downtown.

We were sitting in the back of the bus talking with some Nationals fans who were from Washington. It was at this point that atleast 6-8 other people proclaimed that they were from out of state and I don't mean Chicago.

It was at this point that I stood up and started screaming "Made in Wisconsin"...I calmed down before I became annoying...I wasn't that drunk.

Not a bad experience of the city... Staying at a hotel in our booming (with life and development) downtown and then taking the shuttle filled with friendly locals out to the beautiful Miller Park to watch a good baseball team play.

This past weekend they drew 40,000 + on both friday and sat while drawing 37,000+ on sunday!

TV ratings are up...and gaining viewers by the week.

People are wearing Brew Crew gear and not Packer gear to games.

The biggest difference is that the fans are cheering to the very end. Last night we only had 17,000 + but we sure let the team know how we felt with a standing O after Cappy and Cordero turned out the lights yet again.
FutureChicaukeean no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1333
LAX100

Likes (Received): 0

awesome post
LAX100 no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #1334
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

The Brewers' success is getting the city a fair amount of national attention. USA Today last Friday ran an article on the Brewers and I read that Sports Illustrated has a crew in town preparing for a major story in that magazine.

Most of the national sports press make passing references to the city of Milwaukee, and when they do it's usually in relation to the beer and brats stereotype.

Oh well. I'm just delighted that the Brewers are actually playing at a level warrenting national attention.

Here's an article that ran today in the Los Angeles Times:

Brewtown 90210 is a big hit
Bill Dwyre

May 8, 2007

It is a long way from Beverly Hills to Milwaukee. Perhaps light years.

Mark Attanasio makes the trek often, and happily. Especially these days, when the team he owns, the Brewers, has the best record in baseball. Yes, those Milwaukee Brewers, formerly doormats, a.k.a major league road kill.

They will play the Dodgers May 21-23 in Dodger Stadium, and Attanasio will be the one in the stands who looks like a wealthy investment banker who has an office in Beverly Hills and homes in Brentwood and Malibu. That's because he is and does.

The marriage of Attanasio and Brewtown is one for the books.

At his day job, Attanasio is senior partner and chief investment officer of Trust Co. of the West, which manages $10 billion in assets for pension funds, endowments, foundations and other institutional sources.

So, when he paid about $200 million for the Brewers in January of 2005, he was used to big-number deals, even if this one was personal and even when his wife, Debbie, asked the key question: "Can we afford to buy a baseball team, dear?"

Life in the investment banking business of Beverly Hills is big desks in high rises and lunch at the Grill on the Alley. It is valet parking, $2,000 suits and business by Blackberry.

At his other day job, which is also a night job, Attanasio presides over a stadium full of people who dance the polka on the roof of the dugouts, never leave a game before it is over no matter what the score, and cheer like crazy in the sixth inning when five people dressed as sausages run a race around the foul lines.

Monday, Attanasio was able to report with pride that the current standings in the sausage race had Hotdog leading with eight wins, followed closely by Italian and Chorizo with four each and Bratwurst and Polish with two apiece.

"There has been some controversy," Attanasio says, "because it appears that, quite often when I am there, Italian wins."

There was other controversy last season, when fans started demanding Chorizo be included. Baseball rules didn't allow introduction of new products in midseason, but Attanasio got a one-game waiver on Hispanic Pride Day and Chorizo raced.

"Then we had to send him back to triple A," Attanasio says, "for more seasoning."

OK, so we have an investment banker with a quick wit. That makes one. That also may be the work of longtime Brewers announcer Bob Uecker, one of the funnier people around and a frequent Tonight Show guest with Johnny Carson and now Jay Leno.

"It might have been worth the $200 million just to get to hang around Uecker this much," Attanasio says.

When Attanasio bought the team, Uecker might have been the only established asset. The Brewers have played in the postseason only twice, losing a division series to the New York Yankees in 1981 and beating the Angels for the American League pennant in '82 before blowing a 3-2 World Series lead to the St. Louis Cardinals.

But Attanasio, after assuring Debbie that they could, indeed, afford this deal, jumped right in and has loved every minute since.

"I still have this sense of wonderment," he says. "I walk into the ballpark, I look at the team, and I own it. It's still a thrill."

Milwaukee is pretty happy too. He has taken the payroll from $27.7 million when he arrived — or about $300,000 less than the total Roger Clemens just signed for with the Yankees — to about $70 million this season. Milwaukee's 22-10 record is evidence of the progress being made.

This is not lost on the city's faithful. When Attanasio walks into the city's famed Pfister Hotel now, the organist segues quickly to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Attanasio blushes.

When he sits in his field-level seat at Miller Park, people bring down beer and bratwurst.

"I gained 15 pounds last year," he said.

To fix that, Attanasio hired a nutritionist, and the fact that no local columnist has taken that and run with it further attests to how much he is embraced.

In Milwaukee, a nutritionist is somebody who monitors how much beer, butter and onions are in the pot with the bratwurst.

So far, Attanasio has done almost everything right in gaining acceptance. He invested in the local minor league hockey team, the Admirals, and has purchased a condominium in a high rise that is still being built. He will continue to live in Los Angeles, but he will also have a spot of semi-permanence in Milwaukee.

"The mayor told me he likes that I am helping the tax base," he says.

Likely, the mayor of Los Angeles has no idea who Mark Attanasio is. Nor do many of those around him daily in Beverly Hills.

"If they knew," Attanasio says, laughing, "they still wouldn't care."

What a shame, because right here, in our very community, before our very eyes, is a man who, in about three short years, has managed to fix both the Brewers and their sausage races.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #1335
exit_320

Quote:
In Milwaukee, a nutritionist is somebody who monitors how much beer, butter and onions are in the pot with the bratwurst.
morons
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #1336
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
morons
Oh come on...that was funny, albeit condescending.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1337
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
The Brewers' success is getting the city a fair amount of national attention. USA Today last Friday ran an article on the Brewers and I read that Sports Illustrated has a crew in town preparing for a major story in that magazine.

Most of the national sports press make passing references to the city of Milwaukee, and when they do it's usually in relation to the beer and brats stereotype.

Oh well. I'm just delighted that the Brewers are actually playing at a level warrenting national attention.

Here's an article that ran today in the Los Angeles Times:

Brewtown 90210 is a big hit
Bill Dwyre

May 8, 2007

[snip]
Shouldn't that be:
'Brewtown 53210'?

<ducks!>

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #1338
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
Oh come on...that was funny, albeit condescending.
It's not funny from a marketing stand point at a time when the city is trying to brand itself in a new image.
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #1339
exit_320

Ok.. now I am shocked

Developers propose 2 more condo towers
30-story building planned for Prospect Ave.; Knapp St. site must be rezoned
By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: May 8, 2007

Two separate condominium high-rise proposals about a half-mile apart from one another on Milwaukee's east side have surfaced as developers continue to tap the urban housing trend.

High-Rise Condos

Residential Homes of America Inc., based in Lake Forest, Ill., wants to build a 30-story tower at 1646 N. Prospect Ave.

The tower would have 179 units and three levels of underground parking, according to Residential Home's plans. The high-rise would replace the 105-unit Prospect Heights Apartments, which would be demolished.

Executives at Residential Homes couldn't be reached for comment. The company has created several single-family developments in the Chicago area, as well as the 210-home Forest Point development in New Berlin.

Residential Homes also has developed apartments and condos, including the Avenue East condo high-rise that's under construction in downtown Chicago.

Meanwhile, developer Peter Renner is planning to build a high-rise at 1132 E. Knapp St., on the site of the former Christopher East Health and Rehabilitation Center.

Christopher East, a nursing home that closed in December 2005 because of financial problems, would be razed to make way for the new development. Franklin & Knapp LLC, an investors group led by Renner, bought the former nursing home in December for $1.65 million, according to assessment records.

Renner couldn't be reached for comment on how many units and stories he's planning for his project, dubbed Break Water Condominiums.

An ordinance recently introduced by Ald. Mike D'Amato, whose district covers the east side, would rezone the Christopher East site to allow for construction of a condo tower. That zoning proposal has not yet been scheduled for a Plan Commission hearing.

Renner's local developments include three condo projects built along the Milwaukee River: The Waterfront, 130 S. Water St., and The Harborfront and Hansen's Landing, neighboring developments in the 500 and 600 blocks of E. Erie St.

The towers planned by Residential Homes and Renner come as Chicago-area developer Warren Barr continues construction of the 291-unit Park Lafayette on Milwaukee's east side.

That project, east of N. Prospect Ave. and north of E. Lafayette Ave., will feature twin 20-story towers. Park Lafayette's underground parking structure is to be completed by September, with construction of the development's twin towers to begin at that time.
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #1340
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Developers propose 2 more condo towers
30-story building planned for Prospect Ave.; Knapp St. site must be rezoned

Two separate condominium high-rise proposals about a half-mile apart from one another on Milwaukee's east side have surfaced as developers continue to tap the urban housing trend.

High-Rise Condos

Residential Homes of America Inc., based in Lake Forest, Ill., wants to build a 30-story tower at 1646 N. Prospect Ave.

The tower would have 179 units and three levels of underground parking, according to Residential Home's plans. The high-rise would replace the 105-unit Prospect Heights Apartments, which would be demolished.

Executives at Residential Homes couldn't be reached for comment. The company has created several single-family developments in the Chicago area, as well as the 210-home Forest Point development in New Berlin.

Residential Homes also has developed apartments and condos, including the Avenue East condo high-rise that's under construction in downtown Chicago.

Meanwhile, developer Peter Renner is planning to build a high-rise at 1132 E. Knapp St., on the site of the former Christopher East Health and Rehabilitation Center.

Christopher East, a nursing home that closed in December 2005 because of financial problems, would be razed to make way for the new development. Franklin & Knapp LLC, an investors group led by Renner, bought the former nursing home in December for $1.65 million, according to assessment records.

Renner couldn't be reached for comment on how many units and stories he's planning for his project, dubbed Break Water Condominiums.

An ordinance recently introduced by Ald. Mike D'Amato, whose district covers the east side, would rezone the Christopher East site to allow for construction of a condo tower. That zoning proposal has not yet been scheduled for a Plan Commission hearing.

very cool!!!!! I cant wait to see the renderings
miltown no está en línea  

Closed Thread