daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #1341
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Likes (Received): 0

Wow...is it ever going to stop?(not that I want it to)
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #1342
sideliner

Likes (Received): 3

What interests me about these two new Prospect towers is that they cannot be built until the structures currently occupying their respective sites are knocked down first. We tend to think about construction proposals in competition to get their shovels in the ground first in order to capture a limited demand. These two developers apparently feel confident enough that, even after (esp. in the case of the 30-story condo tower) investing the months to clear the land, the market demand that currently exists, or a new wave of demand that hasn't yet registered, will still be strong enough. I would love to know more about the demographic/market perceptions that tell these developers to keep moving forward with their plans.
sideliner no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1343
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald View Post
Wow...is it ever going to stop?(not that I want it to)
seriously
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1344
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideliner View Post
What interests me about these two new Prospect towers is that they cannot be built until the structures currently occupying their respective sites are knocked down first. We tend to think about construction proposals in competition to get their shovels in the ground first in order to capture a limited demand. These two developers apparently feel confident enough that, even after (esp. in the case of the 30-story condo tower) investing the months to clear the land, the market demand that currently exists, or a new wave of demand that hasn't yet registered, will still be strong enough. I would love to know more about the demographic/market perceptions that tell these developers to keep moving forward with their plans.
Exactly. To which I don't know why anyone would be shocked to hear this. Milwaukee's condo boom is nowhere near overwith. The more high rises, the better I say.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1345
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

What's disappointing to me is that despite all these gorgeous new condos, there is very little, if any new retail, entertainment or other commercial stuff downtown as a result of it. Isn't that the point of bringing people downtown in the first place? Having new condos is certainly better than nothing, but the condo worship has to stop...imo developers and the city need to focus on office buildings, stores, entertainment, etc, to make a more complete downtown.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #1346
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
What's disappointing to me is that despite all these gorgeous new condos, there is very little, if any new retail, entertainment or other commercial stuff downtown as a result of it. Isn't that the point of bringing people downtown in the first place? Having new condos is certainly better than nothing, but the condo worship has to stop...imo developers and the city need to focus on office buildings, stores, entertainment, etc, to make a more complete downtown.
Well, thanks to the Council PabstCity was rejected years ago. But right now you got plans to enhance retail at The Grand Avenue, the Chase Tower complex, and at various sites in the Park East. The new 'Brewery' development @ Pabst will also have some retail or restauraunts, but not as much as PabstCity would have.

As good news, according to the SBT today class A office space in Milwaukee and the suburbs vacancies have declined.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1347
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
Yes. We're doing great with Downtown residential, and I actually think we're doing OK in retail, although we clearly have had trouble attracting "name" retailers to our Downtown. What I am most concerned about, however, is the tepid office market.

Retail and housing represents "used" money, that is, the same people spending the same money that they would have spent somewhere in the Milwaukee area regardless of Downtown housing or retail. What we need is some "new" money. We need new businesses, new residents moving in from outside the metro area, new industries to take root in our city and new jobs so that the people who are already here make new incomes. Without that "new" money we're just running on fumes, and all of the growth we're seeing in housing will not lead to sustainable economic health for our city and region.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #1348
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideliner View Post
Interesting news, but...DAMN, all of this "potential" floor growth and still no Lake Pointe Tower!! How about combining these two developments above a hotel, and erecting a 40+ building at the LPT site...

Nonetheless, pretty amazing if these come to fruition. The view of the skyline from Lake Michigan would be enhanced significantly - especially if the Knapp St. project has any serious height to it. Of course, the Prospect Ave. proposal only adds to Milwaukee's version of the "Gold Coast."
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #1349
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Interesting news, but...DAMN, all of this "potential" floor growth and still no Lake Pointe Tower!! How about combining these two developments above a hotel, and erecting a 40+ building at the LPT site...

Nonetheless, pretty amazing if these come to fruition. The view of the skyline from Lake Michigan would be enhanced significantly - especially if the Knapp St. project has any serious height to it. Of course, the Prospect Ave. proposal only adds to Milwaukee's version of the "Gold Coast."
Once again skyking, we stand in agreement. Not too shabby! Milwaukee's Gold Coast hopefully will become as classy as our neighbor's to the south someday.

And for all those Brewers fans in earlier posts, just thought this would add some flavor to the talk:
Quote:
WEDNESDAY, May 9, 2007, 12 p.m.</B>

Brewers move quickly on club's naming rights

The Milwaukee Brewers are expected to announce on Thursday that they have a naming rights deal for the franchise's new Club on the Club. That's the fancy new area in the left-field area near the .300 Club.

The fact that the franchise has been able to find a partner for the club this quickly speaks to the success the team has had on the field and in the business community.

Last year, the Brewers reached out and snagged Mercedes-Benz, not normally a big spender in sports, to sponsor the Field Haus in right field. That area is sold out for the season.

The new Club on the Club is showing promise as well because it offers fans a ticket and food and beverage in one package.

Meanwhile, the franchise is doing well at the gate. Entering today's game, attendance is at 592,084, or 29,604 fans per game. That's good for 15th place in attendance in Major League Baseball.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1350
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4270

I hope someone comes up with a better handle than "Gold Coast". That would be schlocky.

This is from the Menominee Valley Partners:

3. Emmber Lane Lead Funding Committed: Design Work Begins

Lead funding has been received to begin design and permitting for the construction of a new canoe launch on the Menomonee River at Emmber Lane. This section of the river, an eyesore notorious for garbage accumulation, will get an extreme makeover: removing the accumulated debris, extending the dock wall and constructing a pier and canoe launch. A floating island will be placed in the corner, improving fish and wildlife habitat. Thanks to Cargill, the Menomonee Valley Business Improvement District, the Wisconsin Coastal Management Program for committing funding, and Friends of Milwaukee’s Rivers, Marquette University, The Sigma Group, the DNR, the Port Authority and the City of Milwaukee for leading the project planning. When the remaining $50,000 is raised, construction will begin.

5. Marquette Plans Renovation of Valley Fields

Marquette University is proposing to renew its commitment to the Menomonee Valley through the creation of a Detailed Plan Development for the Marquette University Valley Playing Fields Complex (“Valley Fields”). Since opening Valley Fields in 1994, Marquette has made several capital improvements, but the planned renovations will put the Fields in league with the other Division I schools against whom the Golden Eagles compete, now that Marquette had joined the Big East. Valley Fields, a 13.5 acre outdoor recreation complex, includes natural grass soccer field, artificial turf fields, running track, and areas for field events. The construction of the new grandstand will include modest concession service facilities, public spectator restrooms, and ticketing and spectator service amenities and improvements to the aesthetic presentation along Canal Street.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1351
Markitect

Calling the Prospect Avenue Milwaukee's "Gold Coast" is nothing new; that's the area's historic nickname dating back to when it was lined with the mansions of the city's wealthy families.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #1352
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

Yeah, I've always known the lower lower east side along Prospect to be the Gold Coast.
CGII no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #1353
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
I hope someone comes up with a better handle than "Gold Coast". That would be schlocky.
How 'bout "Miles Standish?"
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #1354
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
How 'bout "Miles Standish?"
That would be unique, and tasty.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #1355
sideliner

Or how about: Cold Ghost?
sideliner no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #1356
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Miles Standish works for me. Let's put up banners!
ajknee no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #1357
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Shops of Grand Avenue Expansion

The article on the possible expansion of the SGA discussed a rendering on the developer's website, can anyone find it? (I can't)

Last edited by EastSider; May 10th, 2007 at 05:57 AM.
EastSider no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #1358
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
The article on the possible expansion of the SGA discussed a rendering on the developer's website, can anyone find it? (I can't)
On Channel 12 a few days ago, they said that the renderings were put up there by mistake, that they have been taken down and that they were just one of many "concepts" they are considering. Not sure if anyone on here grabbed them, but they weren't very well done.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #1359
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
On Channel 12 a few days ago, they said that the renderings were put up there by mistake, that they have been taken down and that they were just one of many "concepts" they are considering. Not sure if anyone on here grabbed them, but they weren't very well done.
Ahhh, Thanks.
EastSider no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #1360
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
Thank goodness, because those renderings looked horrible.

Closed Thread