daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 6th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #121
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Likes (Received): 0

That banner is sick. Much better than anything i have seen recently.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #122
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

does anyone think that some wauwatosa residents might not want this "big" tower there, sometimes suburban communities don't like highrises they may think that makes them too urban......... it would be nice to see some other renderings tho
miltown no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #123
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
does anyone think that some wauwatosa residents might not want this "big" tower there, sometimes suburban communities don't like highrises they may think that makes them too urban......... it would be nice to see some other renderings tho
I was thinking about the same thing myself, and I came to the conclusion that if they do, I wouldn't understand why.

Across the street, Wauwatosa is tearing down the old Roundy's and Kohl's Food Stores warehouses, and replacing them with condos, offices, and high tech industry. That area is about I would say 7-10x bigger than the proposal that we have been talking about for the past day or so. On its west side is Hwy 45, which Skyking pointed out can be congested at times because of Mayfair traffic down a ways. South of the development is just more warehouses and industry - there are no homes anywhere near this proposal!

Also, its along Burleigh, a major street that's already 4 lanes and could always be enlarged, and very close to Mayfair Rd. And I'll also say that if the people of Wauwatosa didn't like the "urban" feel they would have turned down anything of that size in the past, such as the Mayfair towers, the Radisson Hotel, the Haritage House building, and a ton of other office buildings along Mayfair Rd.

I truly do love this proposal and I hope it does go through.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #124
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Likes (Received): 507

banner

Not only is that banner sick, it's an actual photo as opposed to a "collage" of images that most cities have. Way to go.
Crankbaiter no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #125
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I was thinking about the same thing myself, and I came to the conclusion that if they do, I wouldn't understand why.

Across the street, Wauwatosa is tearing down the old Roundy's and Kohl's Food Stores warehouses, and replacing them with condos, offices, and high tech industry. That area is about I would say 7-10x bigger than the proposal that we have been talking about for the past day or so. On its west side is Hwy 45, which Skyking pointed out can be congested at times because of Mayfair traffic down a ways. South of the development is just more warehouses and industry - there are no homes anywhere near this proposal!

Also, its along Burleigh, a major street that's already 4 lanes and could always be enlarged, and very close to Mayfair Rd. And I'll also say that if the people of Wauwatosa didn't like the "urban" feel they would have turned down anything of that size in the past, such as the Mayfair towers, the Radisson Hotel, the Haritage House building, and a ton of other office buildings along Mayfair Rd.

I truly do love this proposal and I hope it does go through.

yawn...wake me when it's done - maybe I'll care then (not!).
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #126
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Sorry about the banner going up early, guys. I was told it'd be up the 31st. It still looks great, though.

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #127
jujuquisp

Likes (Received): 1

Does anyone know if the Firstar Building has an observation deck anymore? Are there any buildings other than the Polaris where you can get a view from the top of a tall building??????
jujuquisp no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #128
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^It hasn't been called the Firstar building in a long time, actually. It's now the US Bank Center. To my best of my knowledge, there is no public observation area. Other than Polaris at the Hyatt, there is also Blu at the top of the Pfister. I've been to both Polaris and Blu, and I prefer the views and atmosphere of Blu.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #129
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
yawn...wake me when it's done - maybe I'll care then (not!).
Actually I wasn't ever planning on waking you up to begin with - I was responding to a different person with the quote you used, and when I brought up your name it was to agree with you on the point that US 45 does get quite congested at times during the daytime because of Mayfair traffic.

Obviously you feel that everything that goes with high-rises must be built downtown at this moment, and I respect that opinion. But if all you're going to give now is rude, snippy comments well you can keep that to yourself.

Oh, and if you claim that the congestion is the only thing *at least the main thing* that must be cleaned up before it can be developed, well then I thank God Chicago didn't follow that logic, because most likely it still would have been all 1-4 story buildings throughout the suburban landscape. If this Wauwatosa project increases traffic, then I look forward to seeing you next to me on the freeway! I'll beep ya!!
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #130
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Actually I wasn't ever planning on waking you up to begin with - I was responding to a different person with the quote you used, and when I brought up your name it was to agree with you on the point that US 45 does get quite congested at times during the daytime because of Mayfair traffic.

Obviously you feel that everything that goes with high-rises must be built downtown at this moment, and I respect that opinion. But if all you're going to give now is rude, snippy comments well you can keep that to yourself.

Oh, and if you claim that the congestion is the only thing *at least the main thing* that must be cleaned up before it can be developed, well then I thank God Chicago didn't follow that logic, because most likely it still would have been all 1-4 story buildings throughout the suburban landscape. If this Wauwatosa project increases traffic, then I look forward to seeing you next to me on the freeway! I'll beep ya!!

Please tell me you're not comparing Milwaukee to Chicago...in any way, shape or form. That's like comparing Milwaukee and Sheboygan. Chicago should never even be used in the same sentence with Milwaukee...let alone, Wauwatosa!
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #131
brewcityfan

Let's all remember that Chicago at one time was the size of Milwaukee, and had suburbs like Wauwatosa. Can I compare Milwaukee and Chicago in the present? Absolutely not. But in the past the residents of the Windy City had to make key decisions and move forward developments just as we are doing today.
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #132
Paule

Likes (Received): 947

Quote:
Let's all remember that Chicago at one time was the size of Milwaukee, and had suburbs like Wauwatosa. Can I compare Milwaukee and Chicago in the present? Absolutely not. But in the past the residents of the Windy City had to make key decisions and move forward developments just as we are doing today.
Yes but that was a different time. Then Chicago was growing very fast and right now Milwaukee is stagnant if not losing pop.
Paule está en línea ahora  
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #133
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Sorry about the banner going up early, guys. I was told it'd be up the 31st. It still looks great, though.

No problem, I'm glad I got to see it! Yes, it decorated the forum very nicely.
Thanks to MilwaukeeMark for the pic!
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #134
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1240

Someone please contact this local site and let them know that the banner they are using is not Milwaukee's lakefront. They should be using the new one that MilwaukeeMark just placed as a banner. If you have not reviewed this webcam site of Milwaukee's lakefront, do so. It is the best!

http://www.lakefrontcam.com/
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #135
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
Someone please contact this local site and let them know that the banner they are using is not Milwaukee's lakefront. They should be using the new one that MilwaukeeMark just placed as a banner. If you have not reviewed this webcam site of Milwaukee's lakefront, do so. It is the best!

True, that skyline is Baltimore's. MilwaukeeMarks banner would work perfect for that site though
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #136
exit_320

Never understood why they have a banner of Baltimore up there
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #137
D-res
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post

this issue already came up on here this past spring. I PMed the admin for that site on the forum in regards to the banner back then and this was his response:

Quote:
Hello-

It's the closest that we have found to what we were looking for.

Thanks,

Mike
LakefrontCam.Com
kind of a cop out if you ask me... :\
D-res no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #138
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Construction Update: January 7, 2007

I'm going to update Emporis tonight with some new photos of First Place on the River and River Renaissance... thought I'd give you a sneak peek:

First Place on the River

River Renaissance

And for kicks, here's a view of the back side of UCT under construction. It was as close as I could get from the third ward with my telephoto lens...
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #139
djcody

the photos look great! Looks like RR is getting close to topping out. Plus, i just read an article in the Journal about Chicago and Milwaukee's metros growing together and how the need for rail is an issue. Great article btw...
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #140
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Ooh, great pics Mark. I just drove north on 1st street earlier this evening and all the construction looks great. I love the angles of First Place that are visible when traveling north on 1st right next to the new Vetter Denk place.
Speaking of, what's the time table on that building? It seemed to take months just to build the elevator shaft.
ajknee no está en línea  

Closed Thread