daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #1401
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbmfa View Post
Here's an idea, Milwaukee and Waukeesha counties merge. Then Waukeesha gets water and Milwaukee gets $$$$$$. Its a terrible idea, but its still an idea.
Under that scenario, things would still have to go through the same process for Lake Michigan water diversion requests as Waukesha County already is required to do right now. Merging the counties wouldn't change that.
Markitect no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #1402
Jesse276
Registered User
 
Jesse276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 871
Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbmfa View Post
Here's an idea, Milwaukee and Waukeesha counties merge. Then Waukeesha gets water and Milwaukee gets $$$$$$. Its a terrible idea, but its still an idea.
That would be a interesting idea because Waukesha was originally part of Milwaukee county. Waukesha split off to form their own county in 1846, I've heard that the original dispute was over taxes being paid out there for bridges being built near where the city of Milwaukee is today.

It's both sad and funny, but it seems nothing has really changed in the last 151 years.
Jesse276 no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #1403
historybuffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 546
Likes (Received): 5

This is a Milwaukee forum who cares that Waukesha county can't divert water from the Great Lakes basin. Cry me a river oh wait you paved over it with all your tract housing.

Last edited by historybuffer; May 14th, 2007 at 03:52 AM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #1404
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
This is a Milwaukee forum who cares that Waukesha county can't divert water from the Great Lakes basin. Cry me a river oh wait you paved over it with all your tract housing.
Tract housing? :rolls eyes:

Maybe some posters actually are just trying to address the fact that Waukesha County is going to need to do something since their water supply is contaminated - and they're part of the Milwaukee metro area. Any help from the Great Lakes Governors would be nice. A denial could result in problems throughout the entire metro area concerning population growth.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #1405
DooMer_MP3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 438
Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Tract housing? :rolls eyes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tract_housing ... Why the rolling eyes? Are you trying to say that suburbs (Waukesha) don't in fact have tract housing?
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #1406
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tract_housing ... Why the rolling eyes? Are you trying to say that suburbs (Waukesha) don't in fact have tract housing?
No - it's just the negative condescending remark that created my eyes to just simply roll....again and again.

And at least our subdivisions aren't as bad as that picture. Ew.

Here's a good pic from the JS concerning Park East developments:
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #1407
MilwaukeeD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 679
Likes (Received): 2

there are like three inaccuracies in that map, but still a good summary.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #1408
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
there are like three inaccuracies in that map, but still a good summary.
You mind sharing where they are?
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #1409
FutureChicaukeean
mmm...Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Franklin/Oak Creek
Posts: 63
Likes (Received): 0

I love it how some people on this board just spew hatred of the suburbs.

Is it because they assume that all of us are WHITE RICH POMPUS A$$HOLES?

I really want to know why. Can someone logically explain this?

Last edited by FutureChicaukeean; May 14th, 2007 at 06:02 AM.
FutureChicaukeean no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #1410
MilwaukeeD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 679
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
You mind sharing where they are?
well, maybe it is just two mistakes. Park East Enterprise Lofts is a block to the south of where they are pointing...and the North End is on the other side of Water Street and part of the block to the northeast of where they are pointing. I'm sure most people didn't notice, but for such a fantastic local newspaper we have, those mistakes are pretty bad.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #1411
DooMer_MP3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 438
Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureChicaukeean View Post
I love it how some people on this board just spew hatred of the suburbs.

Is it because they assume that all of us are RICH POMPUS A$$HOLES?

I really want to know why. Can someone logically explain this?
Why is it so hard to believe, that on a *city* forum, there is a dislike for suburbs? Obviously, you and brewcityfan are fans of Milwaukee and its renaissance. But you also seem to have a hard time accepting that suburbs aren't exactly designed with efficiency in mind, and that Milwaukee suburban politics still to this day wreak absolute havoc on the city of Milwaukee itself.
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #1412
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD
well, maybe it is just two mistakes. Park East Enterprise Lofts is a block to the south of where they are pointing...and the North End is on the other side of Water Street and part of the block to the northeast of where they are pointing.
Plus, the Park East Square proposal actually consists of two blocks, not just one.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1413
FutureChicaukeean
mmm...Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Franklin/Oak Creek
Posts: 63
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
Why is it so hard to believe, that on a *city* forum, there is a dislike for suburbs? Obviously, you and brewcityfan are fans of Milwaukee and its renaissance. But you also seem to have a hard time accepting that suburbs aren't exactly designed with efficiency in mind, and that Milwaukee suburban politics still to this day wreak absolute havoc on the city of Milwaukee itself.
DooMer I have nothing against you and it seems as though you are not an absolute hard head but you are putting words in my mouth/thoughts in my head and if you continue to do that then we may have a problem...

I never said I didn't believe, infact I was implying the opposite. I want to know what kind of thought process causes this hatred for the burbs.

So you say the burbs are not designed with efficency in mind and that I don't realize this (Who, Me? Where and when?). Do you mean public transportation, MPG in a car, land use and public services? What else did you have in mind?

You also say that suburban politics wreak havoc on the city. Could you please elaborate on this?

I am all about communication and education (each builds on the other). Let us have ourselves a little discussion and hopefully we can both (along with others) walk away from this a tad bit wiser.
FutureChicaukeean no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #1414
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 222

Well if you want opinions, just take a peek at the transit thread and you'll see em all.

Thank you DooMer for crediting me at least for supporting Milwaukee's renassiance. I understand that this is a development forum with a bunch of city dwellers as members. What is discussed for Milwaukee has an impact across its metro, and so should the suburban developments have on Milwaukee.

FutureChicaukeean: communication and education are part of what I've been doing for the past few days - but watch out for the multiple roadblocks you might receive. I hope your discussion will be a lot better than mine. It almost erupted into flames.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #1415
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
well, maybe it is just two mistakes. Park East Enterprise Lofts is a block to the south of where they are pointing...and the North End is on the other side of Water Street and part of the block to the northeast of where they are pointing. I'm sure most people didn't notice, but for such a fantastic local newspaper we have, those mistakes are pretty bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Plus, the Park East Square proposal actually consists of two blocks, not just one.
Thank you both for the clarification. Markitect - now I see fully what you mean about fitting all those tenants RSC has listed into his project. 2 blocks? Impressive.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #1416
historybuffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 546
Likes (Received): 5

Dan Finley did nothing to control the sprawl and now Waukesha is paying for
it's lack of urban planning foresight. SEWRPC is far from perfect but that would have been a good starting point.

And in the fastest growing suburb in metro Milwaukee there should have been a much better management in place for land use and water quality issues such as the falling water table due to water diverted away from aquifers every time a new "Developer" turns farm land into acres of bland tract housing with large asphalt driveways, out-of-scale add-on portico, large rooflines (for the manditory "Cathedral ceiling.") Milwaukee and the Great Lakes basin should not pay for Waukesha's blind greed (sprawl.)

This is no condemnation or generalization about the suburbs this is strictly about Waukesha's
severe lack of planning.


No, every suburb does not have to be "Greendale" but the "Greenbelt City"
concept in a time where gasoline is at a premium, and the keeping the Earth liveable
commands discussion that walkable town idea would keep water table, and energy issues
quieted a bit.

"Middleton Hills" in the Madison area attempted to rekindle the "Greenbelt"
concept but failed since none of the homes in that community are affordable.

Last edited by historybuffer; May 14th, 2007 at 04:43 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #1417
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
Dan Finley did nothing to control the sprawl and now Waukesha is paying for
it's lack of urban planning foresight. SEWRPC is far from perfect but that would have been a good starting point.

And in the fastest growing suburb in metro Milwaukee there should have been a much better management in place for land use and water quality issues such as the falling water table due to water diverted away from aquifers every time a new "Developer" turns farm land into acres of bland tract housing with large asphalt driveways, out-of-scale add-on portico, large rooflines (for the manditory "Cathedral ceiling.") Milwaukee and the Great Lakes basin should not pay for Waukesha's blind greed (sprawl.)
Well you might not like the new homes being built out in Waukesha but a lot of people do, hence the reason why they're being built in the first place. Waukesha's water supply is contaminated, it's not because of "sprawl" that Waukesha needs to find a new source of water.

Let's not over-react here.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #1418
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Well you might not like the new homes being built out in Waukesha but a lot of people do, hence the reason why they're being built in the first place. Waukesha's water supply is contaminated, it's not because of "sprawl" that Waukesha needs to find a new source of water.

Let's not over-react here.
It is because of sprawl. Development of Waukesha is done without consideration for reality. They have always known they were out of the basin and still continued to sprawl without doing so in a environmental way that would have conserved a lot more water. Even now they know their water is contaminated but instead of looking at what they are doing wrong, they expect an international treaty to be changed to help them.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #1419
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
Cry me a river oh wait you paved over it with all your tract housing.
Ha
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1420
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
It is because of sprawl. Development of Waukesha is done without consideration for reality. They have always known they were out of the basin and still continued to sprawl without doing so in a environmental way that would have conserved a lot more water. Even now they know their water is contaminated but instead of looking at what they are doing wrong, they expect an international treaty to be changed to help them.
But should we blame them for their over-confidence? Pleasant Prairie got an international treaty signed for them just a few years back. And I don't know what you mean by "an environmental way" - the only thing I can guess is Waukesha doesn't cram homes on top of each other like Milwaukee does, so therefore it's against the environment. But otherwise you see lots of storm water basins, forest preserves, and tons of new landscaping where there was once farm fields.
brewcityfan no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu