daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1421
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureChicaukeean View Post
I never said I didn't believe, infact I was implying the opposite. I want to know what kind of thought process causes this hatred for the burbs.
First off, its not like I have a blind hatred for suburbs. I grew up in one. I go back to it every so often to visit my folks. I can enjoy the peacefulness they provide, but at this point in my life, and hopefully for a long time, I'll be living in a city.

Quote:
So you say the burbs are not designed with efficency in mind and that I don't realize this (Who, Me? Where and when?). Do you mean public transportation, MPG in a car, land use and public services? What else did you have in mind?
Take a look on Google Maps via Satellite view and look at inefficient land usage in a typical suburb (Franklin, Oak Creek, Waukesha, Brookfield) vs. a city, or even Milwaukee's urban "suburbs" (eastern Tosa, Shorewood). Population density is apparently an after thought, due to demands of privacy. Thats just one example, take a look at the rail transit thread for many other examples.

Quote:
You also say that suburban politics wreak havoc on the city. Could you please elaborate on this?
Well, one example from the rail transit thread is the vote on a referendum (or a feasibility study, not even an actual tax increase) to increase sales taxes by .25% in the county to improve infrastructure for things like the parks. Milwaukee, Shorewood, immediate South Milwaukee, eastern tosa all voted yes to the study. All other burbs voted no. Look in the rail transit thread for a detailed breakdown by region. Its staggering, but expected at this point in Milwaukee County. These officials that voted are elected by residents, obviously. Other examples would be the typical view of not wanting to pay a dime to improve things like the bus system, MPS, or the police. You'll find city residents totally supporting these whereas suburbs continue their "I'm not paying for that" attitude, typically (obviously not all people in either place, but majorities).

Quote:
I am all about communication and education (each builds on the other). Let us have ourselves a little discussion and hopefully we can both (along with others) walk away from this a tad bit wiser.
Agreed, but being that this is a development thread, maybe we should have a "City of Milwaukee vs Suburbs of Milwauke - Why the Anger?" thread or some such.

EDIT - And I created one... http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=474165
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1422
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

My response is in the other thread.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #1423
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Editorial on all the white buildings: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=604885
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1424
brewcityfan

Whitney - do we really need a white city? It's a bit annoying right now! I need COLOR.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #1425
Bluewarning
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureChicaukeean View Post
I love it how some people on this board just spew hatred of the suburbs.

Is it because they assume that all of us are WHITE RICH POMPUS A$$HOLES?

I really want to know why. Can someone logically explain this?
I know the reason. Many of the forumers here grew up in the suburbs, not the big cities they spout off about. They bring recall the negativity that they were shown by a handful of its suburban residents and use those expereinces to base this hatred from.

The bottom line is that most of us grew up in comfort and many of us happen to be white, from well-to-do families. The people who originally come from the most urban parts of Milwaukee or Chicago could probally care less about the density of its housing. The people who are forced to live in these dense apartment blocks in cities across the country would probally take a McMansion in Waukesha if offered. Most of the people living in these McMansions come from urban based families sick of the b.s. of city life. I wouldnt put my kid through MPS--even though I love this city.
Bluewarning no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #1426
honest86
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 12

I think the biggest problem i have with suburbs is they don't work to limit sprawl. Most subdivisions go in with roads wide enough for parked cars on both sides, and still plenty of room for semi's to pass each other. Seriously, I wouldn't mind some of the extra wide lots, if they were not bordered by extra wide streets. I think the worst type of sprawl isn't the yards, but the wide streets in what should just be a narrow residential neighborhood.
honest86 no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #1427
brewcityfan

All posts about the suburbs should go here, so I don't look like the pompous ass : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=474165
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #1428
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

I read in the paper on sunday that there are two new proposed condo towers for the east side. It said that one was proposed at 30 stories. Anyone have info on this?
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #1429
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

interesting????

Coalition forms to conserve land along Milwaukee River

biztimes.com

As developers continue to plot condominium projects s along the Milwaukee River, a coalition of activists and organizations is forming to conserve green space and create a Central Park-like district along the river.
Milwaukee Alderman Michael D'Amato is sponsoring an Interim Study Conservation Overlay Zone for the Milwaukee River Valley from the former North Avenue Dam to the city limits at Silver Spring Drive.
The Milwaukee River Work Group (MRWG) is a coalition of organizations concerned with the Milwaukee River, including Friends of Milwaukee's Rivers, the Urban Ecology Center and the River Revitalization Foundation, along with interested agencies, businesses and individuals.
Together, they have been working with Alderman D'Amato and other city officials to establish a municipal zoning policy that will permanently protect existing natural areas along the river's primary environmental corridor, floodplains and river bluffs, and improve public access to this natural resource. The group has published a 12-page informational paper that details the vision for the river valley. The paper is available at several eastside locations.
Ann Brummitt, spokesperson for MRWG, said the zone would preserve green space and asks local citizens to imagine a Central Park in Milwaukee for the people, which provides the benefits of protecting water quality, migratory wildlife and flood protection.
"Milwaukee's beautiful river corridor needs to be preserved. Anyone who has walked along the shores of the river in the area knows that it truly provides a pristine and natural experience, making one almost forget that they're still in the midst of a bustling urban area," D'Amato said.
"MWRG appreciates Alderman D'Amato's willingness to step forward and champion these Milwaukee River corridor preservation efforts with us," Brummitt said. "The river corridor is arguably the city's best kept open secret and valuable natural resource. We must do everything we can to preserve and protect it for generations to come."
The City Plan Commission will take public comment on the creation of a Milwaukee River Greenway Corridor Interim Study Overlay District today at 2:35 p.m.
A full scope for the district planning process is available from the Department of City Development at www.mkedcd.org/planning. For additional information on the MRWG, visit http://www.protectmilwaukeeriver.org./
check out the link
miltown no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #1430
Bluewarning
BANNED

People want sprawl. They want lots and want bigger houses. Why should we stop them? That is not only arrogant, but its against everything this country stands for. Pusuit of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If they can afford it and it does not harm others liberty---whats the problem here? Do you people want this country to turn into a bunch of commieblocks and other housing where people are forced to live?

Lets all live in our cities and mind other people's business. They arent buying these suburban houses to be douchebags to you. How many of us actually have their own family, compared to those who are just in college or living with friends on the Eastside? milwaukeeunseen really only comes to mind.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #1431
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
Knowing a few people connected with those organizations, I can tell you they're extremely positive and would like to see progress made. I'm glad to see the meeting was a success. Would this be odd to say some of the leaders are suburbanites?
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #1432
Oshkosh49

That's all well and good. But doesn't Miilwaukee already have major difficulty in maintaining its current park areas? At least that is what I've read in the recent past on this Milwaukee thread. Now they want to add another one to the list that they can't afford to properly maintain. Hmmm?
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1433
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

I actually thought the land along the river from the North Avenue Dam to Silver Spring was already conservancy space.

As to creating a new park: while the city has plenty on its plate when it comes to the parks, it's very important the city act now to preserve land that may soon be developed.
CGII no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #1434
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4271

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
What a great idea!
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #1435
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49
That's all well and good. But doesn't Miilwaukee already have major difficulty in maintaining its current park areas? At least that is what I've read in the recent past on this Milwaukee thread. Now they want to add another one to the list that they can't afford to properly maintain. Hmmm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII
I actually thought the land along the river from the North Avenue Dam to Silver Spring was already conservancy space.
Have a look at the Milwaukee River Work Group's vision paper (posted on their website) for an explanation of what they are trying to do, including how to fund it through a combination public and private efforts.

It's not so much a plan to create a "park" as it is an effort to protect the existing natural areas along the riverbanks.

As things stand now, some of the land is already officially part of the Milwaukee County Parks System, some of it is already held privately for the purposes of conservancy...but none of it it has any protection with any teeth in it, not to the extent that the MRWG is proposing.

Last edited by Markitect; May 15th, 2007 at 08:00 PM.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #1436
honest86
Urbanist

The city doesn't have a problem with parks, the county has a problem mowing their parks.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #1437
Bluewarning
BANNED

call me a jerk--but I would like to see more riverfront developed. Not too much--but a little further down from the UWM Dorms and on the opposite side of the river, North from the Paperboard factory (there are some rather large, sparsly developed lots just north of it). If you take an overhead look of that area on Live Local--there seems to be plenty of land to develop more and still have your share of parkland.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1438
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

The plan doesn't call for NO development along the river. It sets standards for future development near the river outside of the natural areas above the bluffs.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #1439
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
The plan doesn't call for NO development along the river. It sets standards for future development near the river outside of the natural areas above the bluffs.
Which I think is a good idea, and it fits in well with their description of how they want it to be: "Milwaukee's Central Park".
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #1440
honest86
Urbanist

I would like to see a mixture of options on the riverfront, and I think this conservancy would provide it by maintain a natural embankment along part of the river. I think condos developed along the conservancy portion of the river would have a natural advantage of catering towards families because of the green space, between them and the river. It doesn't mean that there wont be a river walkway, just that the walkway would be in a nature setting, instead of on a terrace above the river.

Closed Thread