daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #1441
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

New Tower details

Anyone know is that the surface parking lot/old garage or does it involve a tear down?

Article:http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=606163

Location:http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...w=1&name=&qty=
Twoaday no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #1442
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

East side condo tower proposed
Developer has units on market

By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: May 15, 2007
Construction of a 21-story, 104-unit condominium tower on Milwaukee's east side could begin this fall if the developer can sell enough units by then.

The Break Water condominiums, a 21-story tower with 104 units on E. Knapp St., could start going up this fall.

Peter Renner says his Break Water Condominiums project will offer units priced from $225,000, for one-bedroom condos, to $1 million for penthouses.

The largest number of units will have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, with around 2,000 square feet, along with a 200-square-foot deck, Renner said. Those units will be priced starting at $450,000.

Break Water is planned for 1132 E. Knapp St., on the site of the former Christopher East Health and Rehabilitation Center, which an investors group led by Renner bought in December for $1.65 million. Christopher East will be razed to make way for the new high-rise.

The demand for urban housing remains strong despite an overall slowdown in the housing construction market, Renner said.

"People want to move downtown," Renner said. "They are bored in the suburbs."

Renner said his three developments near downtown along the Milwaukee River - 64-unit The Waterfront, 130 S. Water St., and The Harbor Front and Hansen's Landing, each with 80 condos in the 500 and 600 blocks of E. Erie St .- have just one unit remaining for sale.

The key, he said, is to offer high-quality construction and design. Empty nesters who are selling their large suburban homes want spacious, solidly built condos with lots of amenities, Renner said. Break Water's units will include hardwood floors, large decks, and sound-proofed walls, he said.

The development also will have a 180-space parking structure.

Renner declined to provide the project's estimated construction costs. He said the building will generate around $60 million from condo sales, and will take 18 to 24 months to build.

The Break Water site needs to be rezoned to allow for construction of a condo tower. That zoning proposal has not yet been scheduled for a Plan Commission hearing.

Renner has already started marketing the Break Water's units. He hopes to sell 20 to 30 condos before beginning construction in order to obtain financing.

Break Water could begin construction around the same time another large east side condo development begins rising from the ground.

The 291-unit Park Lafayette, east of N. Prospect Ave. and north of E. Lafayette Ave., will feature twin 20-story towers. Park Lafayette's large underground parking structure is to be completed by September, with construction of the development's twin towers to begin at that time, according to developer Warren Barr.

Other new east side condo developments include the 110-unit Lake Bluff apartments, 1300 N. Prospect Ave. Those apartments are being converted to condos by an investors group led by Chicagoan Garrison Benson, which bought Lake Bluff in January for $27.5 million.

Image courtesy of JSOnline.com
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #1443
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Anyone know is that the surface parking lot/old garage or does it involve a tear down?
The details are in the article
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #1444
Twoaday

Yea I just wasn't sure if the Christopher East Health and Rehabilitation Center is still standing or what as I walked over there this weekend and I just wasn't sure which exact spot it was...
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #1445
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Unfortunately from these preliminary designs, the tower is less than impressive--a tall box with tacked-on balconies (the same type used on Renner's developments in the Third Ward and Walker's Point) stacked on top of a low podium base. Hopefully the design is reworked into something less bland!

Any tower on that site ought to be given a quality, stand-out design seeing as how it fronts right on Burns Triangle and terminates the view corridors of Humboldt and Farwell Avenues.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #1446
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
East side condo tower proposed
Developer has units on market

[IMG]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/bym/img/may07/condo051507.jpg[IMG]Image courtesy of JSOnline.com
The rendering looks alright. The building looks really... average. It's too bad they couldn't have designed it a little bit better. Nevertheless, good news on the proposal.
D-res no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #1447
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 212

well, once again we're overly judging this very decent project. I wish one could come around where everyone says it's an awesome project.

I wonder how the reaction was back in the day when the Calatrava addition was first proposed on here.
brewcityfan está en línea ahora  
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #1448
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I wish one could come around where everyone says it's an awesome project.
One did. It's called Lake Pointe Tower.
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1449
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
One did. It's called Lake Pointe Tower.
How sad that it seems to be the project the farthest away from being complete then.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1450
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

I think that the La Dallman condos at Prospect and the Cathedral Square building were both high quality projects, along with a fair number of mid-rises throughout the city including the one at Pittsburgh and First. The Christopher East building is a midrise (I think around 6/7 stories).
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1451
Twoaday

another project annoucement today

WEDNESDAY, May 16, 2007, 10:03 a.m.
By Tom Daykin

Third Ward apartment project planned
A developer who's created several projects in Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward plans to begin construction by September on an 84-unit apartment building.

Robert Joseph said today that he has secured preliminary financing commitments for the Jackson Square apartments, which will be on the east side of N. Jackson St., between E. Menomonee and E. Chicago streets. The apartments will take around 18 months to build, he said.

The Third Ward has seen a number of condominium developments in recent years, but only two major apartment buildings. Joseph said he believes the market for rental housing in the Third Ward is strong, and said Jackson Square will offer large units with monthly rents starting at around $1,300.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch.../2007&id=23604
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1452
Milwaukee, WY
Front Range expatriate

Likes (Received): 535

Is it just me, or doesn't that breakwater project look just like 1522 N Prospect?
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1453
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post
Is it just me, or doesn't that breakwater project look just like 1522 N Prospect?
yea, pretty much....
miltown no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1454
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Well, at least it's not white in color. More of a light gray.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1455
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

1522 is a far better design:

This looks like some suburban condo extended 21 floors tall.
CGII no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1456
Milwaukee, WY
Front Range expatriate

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
1522 is a far better design:

This looks like some suburban condo extended 21 floors tall.
Well, I meant a cheap knock-off of course.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1457
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

agreed. 1522 is my favorite building in Milwaukee actually. It's fantastically designed and constructed.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #1458
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
agreed. 1522 is my favorite building in Milwaukee actually. It's fantastically designed and constructed.

wow really??? .. but 1522 does look a lot better than the break water, the design will probably change a little before it's built.... hopefully
miltown no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1459
brewcityfan

I'm sure that's the preliminary design for the project. It looks too computerized still. I think they just wanted to get an image out for the JS to post.

It'll change.

But if you guys hate it - the suburbs would love to take it from you.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1460
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I'm sure that's the preliminary design for the project. It looks too computerized still. I think they just wanted to get an image out for the JS to post.

It'll change.

But if you guys hate it - the suburbs would love to take it from you.
Yeah, you're right. The rendering definitely looks as though it was done in haste. And with regard to giving to the suburbs? Haha.. no.

Closed Thread