daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1541
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
This is some interesting reading. It is a study done by Denver to compare their downtown issues with Milwaukee, among other cities. Different perspective. Somewhat sloppy research regarding names of places.
http://denverinfill.com/images/speci...kee_report.pdf
Overall, it doesn't seem like a very good report. An example is in the parking section where there is criticism of Milwaukee for having low parking ratios. It doesn't offer any facts to prove their point, just maybes and what ifs.
Jesse276 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #1542
NLouisianaJay
american forester

Likes (Received): 0

Hey does anyone know what they are doing w/ the house/building on bricks behind the Sidney High building? I drove around Milwaukee today...wow...it is changing so fast! It is astonishing to see all the construction and cranes everywhere, so be proud of your city!!!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1543
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

I have never seen downtown's skyline look more impressive.
CGII no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1544
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLouisianaJay View Post
Hey does anyone know what they are doing w/ the house/building on bricks behind the Sidney High building?
The old Gipfel Union Brewery building was jacked up from its original site down the street and relocated to the Sydney Hih block a few weeks ago. It is planned to be rehabilitated and incorporated into the overall mixed-use hotel/condo/office/parking garage/plaza development proposed for that block.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #1545
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Overall, it doesn't seem like a very good report. An example is in the parking section where there is criticism of Milwaukee for having low parking ratios. It doesn't offer any facts to prove their point, just maybes and what ifs.
Jesse276, here's a couple lines from section 21 of this report to prove their point: The city of Milwaukee requires some of the lowest parking ratios in the country. For retail zones, the parking ratio is two spaces per 1,000 square feet as opposed to the Institute of Transport Engineers standard of one space per 300 square feet. You must of skimmed over that part?
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #1546
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
Jesse276, here's a couple lines from section 21 of this report to prove their point: The city of Milwaukee requires some of the lowest parking ratios in the country. For retail zones, the parking ratio is two spaces per 1,000 square feet as opposed to the Institute of Transport Engineers standard of one space per 300 square feet. You must of skimmed over that part?
No, I got that, but the report was opining about the outcomes of that. They were inferring that Milwaukee was negatively impacted due to high parking rates. Go to any city, with high or low parking requirements, and you will have to pay for parking.

My problem is with their inferences that are not backed up by facts, that's why I say sloppy writing.
Jesse276 no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #1547
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 674

Jesse I kind of agree with you...

They did a decent job of researching what was going on, but they didn't delve very deep into why its happening, what the causes were and ultimately they did not make a very solid attempt at predicting where it would all lead.

Two things really annoyed me though... it was painfully obvious that it was a distant third person research job. As if they just sat down on the internet and called a few people who didn't want to say much. So I agree with there being a lack of solid facts.

Most annoying though is the sophomoric writing and gramatical/typographical errors found throught the paper. Who wrote this? What was its purpose? I doubt that it really shed any light on the Denver parking situation if that's what it was for... I don't know since there was no need for the study listed.

Whatever, I just wasted 20 minutes of my life and now I'm bitter.
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #1548
Coldwake

OK I've had 5 minutes to step back and put things in perspective... haha.

I think I was looking at the information with the scrutiny of a knowing local... and they didn't do a bad job of summarizing things as to make sense to a nonresident who knows nothing about Milwaukee. (Except they did put emphasis on things that probably shouldn't have had it...)

But the gramatical and typographical errors still bug me!
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #1549
Markitect

Just to put things in perspective, that report was actually a group paper assignment for first-year/first-semester urban planning students from the University of Colorado at Denver.

So if it sounds like it was written by someone who is a little wet behind the ears...that's because it was.

So at least cut 'em a bit of slack regarding their unfamiliarity, lack of depth, and having to rely on long-distance interviews and internet/newspaper archive searches to get their information for something that was undoubtedly a pretty short-term assignment.

The grammar/typographical errors, however, are inexcusable.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:05 AM   #1550
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Just to put things in perspective, that report was actually a group paper assignment for first-year/first-semester urban planning students from the University of Colorado at Denver.

So if it sounds like it was written by someone who is a little wet behind the ears...that's because it was.

So at least cut 'em a bit of slack regarding their unfamiliarity, lack of depth, and having to rely on long-distance interviews and internet/newspaper archive searches to get their information for something that was undoubtedly a pretty short-term assignment.

The grammar/typographical errors, however, are inexcusable.
I expect a professional quality report from grad students. This thing is not that. It's a bunch of facts and figures culled from the city's website with no analysis of those facts and figures. It has the haphazard quality that is the hallmark of a poorly executed group report: the sections do not form a cohesive whole, rather they go off in their own directions without referencing each other. To top it off the final chapter, the one that is supposed to tie it all together into a point (namely what Denver can learn from Milwaukee) goes absolutely no where. Basically it says "Milwaukee's a Rust Belt city and Denver isn't."

Honestly, when I was a T.A. at UWM I graded far better papers from undergrads than this one from grad students.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM   #1551
Coldwake

Ah, now it all makes sense.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:46 PM   #1552
Skyking2
BANNED

Jeeeez, are things quiet or what? Any word out there from you insiders regarding any of the 80,000 proposals for downtown that have been floated in the last few months?
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1553
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Jeeeez, are things quiet or what? Any word out there from you insiders regarding any of the 80,000 proposals for downtown that have been floated in the last few months?
I know what you mean. I've been too busy preparing for the bitchfest tonight concerning a Franklin development to be focused on anything else.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM   #1554
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

Well not that its development per say but the fests start today, hope to see you all there and for those readers who are not from around here or don't know what I am talking about, come check out Milwaukee some weekend this summer!
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM   #1555
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I know what you mean. I've been too busy preparing for the bitchfest tonight concerning a Franklin development to be focused on anything else.
Wouldn't have anything to do with the Hwy 100 & Drexel proposal, would it?
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1556
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Wouldn't have anything to do with the Hwy 100 & Drexel proposal, would it?
It would. Basically to sum it up here before others begin to rant about OMG WHY ARE SUBURBAN DEVELOPMENTS BEING TALKED ABOUT ON THIS THREAD!?....

The elderly people demanded a Target and came out in droves. The middle-aged and myself demanded something a bit better. For an upscale development - Target not only didn't fit the bill, but it doesn't even match the architecture that all the other buildings currently have. You got the Oak Creek, West Milwaukee, and West Allis Target in Franklin basically. After about hmmmm.....45 mins to an hour of public comment, some commissioners spoke about the architecture, the desire to encourage pedestrian traffic but don't know how since you can't cross Hwy 100 OR Drexel for that matter with the new plan in place (the developer does have park benches and bike racks in his plan!), and the concern of wetlands and woodlands. In the end, the hometown developer got his wish - approval with conditions (of course).

As I put it in my blog, in Franklin it's not 3 strikes you're out, but rather 3 strikes and you're in like flynn.

This is also dubbed by the developer as "The finest retail project Franklin has ever seen....." because we all know Franklin has TONS of retail developments. I appreciate his love for the project, however.

WISN was also there, and had the camera in my face while I spoke my two cents....I wonder if they aired the story.

Next up will be The Shops at Legend Creek on Hwy 100 and Loomis - where the developer already has a belief in crappy development.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM   #1557
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

umm don't we have a forum for suburban issues? let's talk about suburban development there and not waste space in this forum.

jk

Riversplash today!!!!!!!
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM   #1558
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Not to incite anything overly political, but what, if any, long term effects might the arrest and indictments of Alderman McGee (or whatever his name is now) have on the city and its long-term development?

<DUCKS!!!>

I'm thinking that this might actually finally make the near and middle northwest side more long-term attractive. Looking at a street map and knowing nothing else of the city, other than that downtown is 'there', all logic would say that the FdL Av corridor SHOULD be a very popular place for developers.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1559
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Not to incite anything overly political, but what, if any, long term effects might the arrest and indictments of Alderman McGee (or whatever his name is now) have on the city and its long-term development?

<DUCKS!!!>

I'm thinking that this might actually finally make the near and middle northwest side more long-term attractive. Looking at a street map and knowing nothing else of the city, other than that downtown is 'there', all logic would say that the FdL Av corridor SHOULD be a very popular place for developers.

Mike
It shows unfortunately the wrong side of the Milwaukee Common Council. It shows that, for a price (at least for this alderman) things can get accomplished. It's a negative light and I don't think it's very attractive in the least for development in that district, until he's out.
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:24 PM   #1560
MilwaukeeD

Fondy isn't in his district. His district does include neighborhoods like Brewers Hill, the Beerline and Bronzeville.

This whole thing is more related to liquor licenses and voter fraud than it is development. Plenty of development has occured in district over the past 3 years.

But yes, a new pro-development alderman would help spur additional development there.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  

Closed Thread