daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 1st, 2007, 10:37 PM   #1561
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

I don't think that Fondulac Ave will see much development or growth outside affordable housing tax credit developments and some new retail. The housing stock in the area wasn't that spectacular to begin with, there aren't any significant park amenities nearby, and it isn't adjacent to any areas that have already taken off. The area has the fondy market but there are many other markets in the city, although not all as large as the fondy.

Keep looking for other neighborhoods to pop.
Jesse276 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM   #1562
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
I don't think that Fondulac Ave will see much development or growth outside affordable housing tax credit developments and some new retail. The housing stock in the area wasn't that spectacular to begin with, there aren't any significant park amenities nearby, and it isn't adjacent to any areas that have already taken off. The area has the fondy market but there are many other markets in the city, although not all as large as the fondy.

Keep looking for other neighborhoods to pop.
The Fondy area actually has seen and will see a lot of development in the next few years.

Legacy Homes will be developing all of that vacant land south of North Ave. Columbia Savings and Loan is almost done with their expansion. Lena's is building a major new grocery store and several other projects are in the works around North/Fondy.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:41 AM   #1563
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
Fondy isn't in his district. His district does include neighborhoods like Brewers Hill, the Beerline and Bronzeville.

This whole thing is more related to liquor licenses and voter fraud than it is development. Plenty of development has occured in district over the past 3 years.

But yes, a new pro-development alderman would help spur additional development there.
Agreed, but I think you know very well that corruption of any kind doesn't favor anybody when found out. I don't think developers want to be linked with McGee if he remains alderman for years to come.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:30 AM   #1564
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
The Fondy area actually has seen and will see a lot of development in the next few years.

Legacy Homes will be developing all of that vacant land south of North Ave. Columbia Savings and Loan is almost done with their expansion. Lena's is building a major new grocery store and several other projects are in the works around North/Fondy.
Well, the legacy project is a TIF, which is a good market-rate project with some city help. That's similiar to other apartment projects in the area that are using federal tax credits to rehab and build affordable housing in the area. As I was saying, it's not that development won't happen, it just isn't going to be a gentrified area and that's not necessarily bad either. Regular people need regular, quality neighborhoods to live in too.

Not to be too cynical but there have been many proposals for the area for awhile dealing with retail and I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure the Lena's project will go through though because they seem to have a good track record with what they say and follow through on.

As far as the connection to developers, McGee, and Milwaukee, I really don't see any negative fallout. The guy was caught timely, showing that the system works to remove the bad apples from the bunch.
Jesse276 no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:38 AM   #1565
brewcityfan

Jesse, I don't know if the guy was caught "timely"....but yes, it's good he was nabbed before any further damage was done. One wonders how far back his policies go, however. It also shows that in that particular district, people can be misled and manipulated...both not very popular things.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1566
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Jesse, I don't know if the guy was caught "timely"....but yes, it's good he was nabbed before any further damage was done. One wonders how far back his policies go, however. It also shows that in that particular district, people can be misled and manipulated...both not very popular things.
I think you give McGee too much credit. He didn't really have that much control over his district, other than making some store owners believe that they needed him to get a liquor license. There are so many other good people working to make things happen in his district, that there is no way he could have dettered much development. But again, a more reasonable alderman will always help.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM   #1567
brewcityfan

Quote:
I think you give McGee too much credit. He didn't really have that much control over his district, other than making some store owners believe that they needed him to get a liquor license. There are so many other good people working to make things happen in his district, that there is no way he could have dettered much development. But again, a more reasonable alderman will always help.
Alright, so I'm giving McGee too much credit, and you're giving his constituents too much credit!

Didn't anyone see the news reports after this story broke? Even AFTER the nonsense was exposed, people are praying and crying out for his release. They all feel he's targeted because he's black. The courthouse was FULL when he was being arranged with supporters. Good people in his district? Of course there are....there's good people in every district. But the numbers aren't that high in McGee's.

Remember, even during his recall election, McGee grabbed over 60% of the votes! *although the $5 a vote scheme could have affected that significantly*

Manipulated? Misled? Yes sir! It's to the point of embarrassment.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM   #1568
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Alright, so I'm giving McGee too much credit, and you're giving his constituents too much credit!

Didn't anyone see the news reports after this story broke? Even AFTER the nonsense was exposed, people are praying and crying out for his release. They all feel he's targeted because he's black. The courthouse was FULL when he was being arranged with supporters. Good people in his district? Of course there are....there's good people in every district. But the numbers aren't that high in McGee's.

Remember, even during his recall election, McGee grabbed over 60% of the votes! *although the $5 a vote scheme could have affected that significantly*

Manipulated? Misled? Yes sir! It's to the point of embarrassment.
I would bet that half of the people who came out in support of him at the courthouse don't even live in his district. But to get this thread back to development discussion, let's look at all of the activity in McGee's district since he has been in office (despite his poor leadership):

- park east enterprise lofts (across from manpower, which is across the street from his district)
- several new businesses in bronzeville and a TIF created for bronzeville
- Beerline improvements: Union Point (calling that an improvement may be a stretch), Mandel's condos by the Jewel-Osco (now Pick n' Save), the building with Bayou in it, the Edge about to begin construction.
- Brewers Hill: tons of renovations and some new lofts
- Harambee, also experiencing renovations and several infill housing projects, including a new overlay district ensuring that new houses are high-quality design
- King Drive, had several things open, like Soche and King Commons, among other renovations.
- Riverworks area has had many improvements with new businesses expanding and will continue to see many more in the near future.

Sure, there are plenty of rough areas in his district and more could have happened if he was more pro-development, but it is not like him being in office halted all growth in his district, regardless of his ethics. There are still plenty of groups and developers getting things done, and will continue to do so regardless of who the alderman/woman is.
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #1569
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Quote:
It also shows that in that particular district, people can be misled and manipulated...both not very popular things.
The 6th District of Milwaukee hardly is the only place where voters can be misled and manipulated. Nearly every politician currently active in the country presents themselves a certain way that doesn't neccessarily reflect the reality of who they are or what they do. It's called modern politics. Not all politicians are corrupt, but very few are completely transparent and truthful.

McGee is merely an extreme example of how royally ****ed up our political system is from the top down. If he is found guilty and locked away, in time there will be another just like him, and another, and another... people who abuse their power. And they exist not just in central cities but in State capitols, city halls, and in the US Capitol as well.
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1570
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post
The 6th District of Milwaukee hardly is the only place where voters can be misled and manipulated. Nearly every politician currently active in the country presents themselves a certain way that doesn't neccessarily reflect the reality of who they are or what they do. It's called modern politics. Not all politicians are corrupt, but very few are completely transparent and truthful.

McGee is merely an extreme example of how royally ****ed up our political system is from the top down. If he is found guilty and locked away, in time there will be another just like him, and another, and another... people who abuse their power. And they exist not just in central cities but in State capitols, city halls, and in the US Capitol as well.
A tale as old as time. I remember a statesman telling my grandfather some 20 years ago how many elections were pre determined since the early 1900's in this country. Between the elite, mobs, bankers, and such i wouldn't doubt it. Local politics are no different just at a smaller scale.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #1571
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

MONDAY, June 4, 2007, 3:22 p.m.
By Tom Daykin

East side condo project has support
A 21-story, 104-unit condominium tower on Milwaukee's east side received preliminary approval today from the city Plan Commission.

The commission recommended zoning approval for developer Peter Renner's Break Water Condominiums project. Break Water is planned for 1132 E. Knapp St., on the site of the former Christopher East Health and Rehabilitation Center, which will be razed to make way for the new high-rise.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #1572
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Well it kinda moved ahead today... They through in a stipulation in that the developer needs to hold some public meetings with the neighborhood because like 3 NIMBYs came out to complain... And yes it is common practice to meet with the neighbors but almost none of them will say yes to a highrise despite it actually being zoned for a highrise. The zoning change was about setbacks not height but the neighbors complained about the height anyhow. It will move forward but this is the city not Franklin folks!
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #1573
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Well it kinda moved ahead today... They through in a stipulation in that the developer needs to hold some public meetings with the neighborhood because like 3 NIMBYs came out to complain... And yes it is common practice to meet with the neighbors but almost none of them will say yes to a highrise despite it actually being zoned for a highrise. The zoning change was about setbacks not height but the neighbors complained about the height anyhow. It will move forward but this is the city not Franklin folks!
Yeeeah.....alrighty then!

Granted in Franklin if its the local guy and theres 3 entire subdivisions screaming hooting and hollering it would still get approved. I'd hope a development wouldn't stop, even in the city, over 3 NIMBY complainers.

Let's keep that in mind please!

Oh, and I'm praying Franklin will get some high rises in the future - like Wauwatosa's 20-story Icon (who is based in Franklin) development.
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1574
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Oh I believe it will get approval at ZND, once they have their meeting, but it's just frustrating to see these people balking at 60 million dollars of new tax base and improved density because "it will change the neighborhood", so yup for the better... Probably even make their properties worth more!
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1575
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

My favorite complaint of the Stop Park Lafayette maniacs was not that it would ruin their lakeviews... but there lake horizon views! Yeeeeeeeeeahhhhh! </kramer>
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1576
brewcityfan

Well I guess you have em everywhere you go. Some have good points against a project, and some just have some where you wanna roll your eyes over.
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #1577
brewcityfan

Quote:
East side condo tower moves forward
City Plan Commission gives 21-story Knapp St. project preliminary OK
By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: June 4, 2007
A 21-story, 104-unit condominium tower on Milwaukee's east side received preliminary approval Monday from the city Plan Commission.

The commission recommended zoning approval for developer Peter Renner's Break Water Condominiums project. Break Water is planned for 1132 E. Knapp St., on the site of the former Christopher East Health and Rehabilitation Center, which will be razed to make way for the new high-rise.

Renner told the commission that he has already sold 16 units at Break Water, which will offer units priced from $225,000 for one-bedroom condos to $1.2 million for penthouses.

The largest number of units will have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, with around 2,000 square feet, Renner said. Those units will be priced starting at $400,000.

The commission's 3-1 vote came with a "no" vote from J. Allen Stokes. He said nearby residents who've voiced concerns about the height of the building deserved more consideration from Renner and city officials.

The commission's recommendation comes with conditions, including one that requires a meeting between Renner and nearby residents. The project requires zoning approval from the Common Council.

The only objections at Monday's meeting came from Paul and Mary Counsell, who live at 1035 E. Ogden Ave., near the development site. The Counsells said the high-rise would be too tall for the neighborhood, which consists mainly of two- and three-story buildings.

"It will put us in the shade until 2 in the afternoon," Paul Counsell said.

Renner's attorney, Franklyn Gimbel, told the commission that the building would help continue the flow of suburban residents to downtown and its nearby neighborhoods.

The building would have a value of $55 million to $60 million once completed, Renner said. He hopes to begin construction this fall if enough units are sold by that time. Break Water would take 18 to 24 months to build.
A positive step forward for this development.
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #1578
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

weird, I just realized Frank Gimbel (from the article) is the dad of one of my best friends.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #1579
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

New biofuel inroad?
Negotiations in progress for biodiesel refinery
By RICK BARRETT
[email protected]

The Port of Milwaukee is negotiating to get one of the state's first biodiesel refineries.

If the talks are successful, construction on the $12.5 million refinery could begin this fall on Jones Island near the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District's wastewater treatment plant.

The refinery would take soybean oil, a renewable energy source, and refine it into fuel suitable for diesel-engine vehicles. The demand for such fuel is growing as more states mandate the use of renewable energy or at least provide incentives for it.

The refinery would employ about 15 people. Initially, it would produce 20 million gallons of fuel a year in a building that covers about 15,000 square feet.

The Jones Island refinery would be the first plant of its kind in the Milwaukee area and could begin production as early as January, according to its backers, North American Biodiesel LLC of Menomonee Falls. Currently, Wisconsin has a biodiesel refinery operating in DeForest, near Madison, and several others are under construction.

Having a local refinery could help reduce biodiesel prices for consumers by lowering fuel delivery costs, said Richard Sawall, president and founder of North American Biodiesel.

"The biggest challenge for the fuel here now is that it has to be trucked in from Minnesota, which adds to the cost. There probably aren't too many people willing to pay an extra 10 cents to 15 cents per gallon," he said.

Last December, North American Biodiesel proposed building a smaller refinery in the village of Butler in Waukesha County. But the plans were dropped for various business reasons, according to Sawall.

"So we began following up with the Port of Milwaukee. One thing led to another," he said.

Port officials, looking for business opportunities, already can provide storage tanks suitable for biodiesel. The port also has truck, train, ship and barge capabilities that lend themselves to handling the fuel.

"It just seems like an excellent fit," said Port Director Eric Reinelt.

The port would get about $60,000 a year for leasing land to the refinery. In 2006, the port had about $332,000 in net income.

The land for the refinery has been largely vacant for about 10 years and covers 2.5 acres.

Over the years, Jones Island has been used to store liquid fuel, coal and road salt. It's not a section of the lakefront that city officials have tried to make aesthetically pleasing.

"To me, it's more of an economic engine. We certainly have salt piles galore down there," Mayor Tom Barrett said.

Soybean oil is biodegradable. If it leaked into Lake Michigan, it would be far less dangerous than petroleum, according to the refinery's backers.

"We would be within all of the state's guidelines for containment of any spill. And there would be zero odors from the plant and no smokestacks," Sawall said.

Port officials are negotiating a 20-year lease for the refinery. The outcome of the contract talks could be presented to the city's Harbor Commission for approval as early as next month. After that, the proposal would go to the Common Council and Barrett for final approval.

The refinery also could help make biodiesel more readily available in the Upper Midwest.

"It's something that we think, in part, could be an alternative to importing fuels from the Middle East," Barrett said. "If we can make an arrangement that's beneficial to us, and to the biofuel producers, we should move forward on it."

State officials have said they want to jump-start additional investments in biodiesel, ethanol and other renewable energy through various government subsidies. Former Gov. Tommy Thompson is one of the business partners behind plans for a $195 million ethanol plant in Walworth County, and at least eight more ethanol plants are on the drawing board or under construction here.

Across the Midwest, farmers are selling more corn and soybeans to ethanol and biodiesel plants, tightening supplies and raising crop prices. Nationwide, there are roughly 90 biodiesel refineries in operation and at least 65 more under construction.

Eventually, the refineries' backers will have to scale back their investments or risk losing money in an overbuilt industry.

But, for now, there's plenty of room to grow, said Kevin Hoyer, president-elect of the Wisconsin Soybean Association.

Biodiesel advocates say the fuel produces less soot and carbon dioxide than petroleum-based diesel, making it better for the environment.

But it's difficult to find places that sell biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

"It's in pockets across the state," Hoyer said. "But if the product is available and is made economically, people will buy it."
^

Cloud appears over apartment project

By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: June 5, 2007

A $7.2 million apartment development planned for Milwaukee's Bay View neighborhood might run into a roadblock, says Ald. Tony Zielinski, whose district includes the project site.
Advertisement

Vetter Denk Properties LLC in August proposed the five-story, 53-unit development, called Mod Lofts, for a city-owned parking lot at 2254 S. Allis St. The site is roughly one-half block east of S. Kinnickinnic Ave. and just north of E. Lincoln Ave.

Mod Lofts would include about 40 parking spaces for the building's renters and 52 publicly available parking spaces. The public parking spaces would replace spaces now available in the parking lot.

Zielinski supported the development in part because Vetter Denk said it would replace the public parking spaces that are used by customers of nearby businesses. Zielinski said the development firm also promised not to seek city financial assistance for the project.

But that has changed, according to Zielinski. He said Vetter Denk co-owner John Vetter told him last week that the firm would either seek city financial help or would ask for permission to have fewer public parking spaces than originally proposed.

Zielinski said he wouldn't support either change and said Vetter Denk's owners should "stick by their word."

Vetter couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday.

Vetter Denk has not made a request for city financial help, said Department of City Development spokeswoman Andrea Rowe Richards. The project has received preliminary city approval, but the parking lot has not yet been sold to Vetter Denk.

Richards said she didn't know if department officials are considering a possible change in the parking requirement.

"I do know the project remains under discussion," she said.

Wells St. medical office building proposed

A Milwaukee doctor wants to develop a two-story, 4,500-square-foot medical office building on the city's west side.

Carolina G. Conti, an internist, has proposed the office building for the 1900 block of W. Wells St., and would buy two city-owned vacant lots for the $793,000 project.

Her practice, now at 756 N. 35th St., would use the ground floor, with the second floor leased to another doctor, according to a Department of City Development report released today.

The Common Council's Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee will consider the sale at its Tuesday meeting. The sale price would be $13,000, or $2 per square foot.

Last edited by miltown; June 6th, 2007 at 07:42 PM.
miltown no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #1580
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

By Jeff Sherman
OMC Staff Writer
Published June 6, 2007 at 11:45 a.m.

This morning, a construction worker at the Kenilworth Building on Milwaukee's East Side confirmed the pending arrival of Urban Outfitters.

When asked, "What's moving in here?" A worker replied, "An Urban Outfitters, come buy all of your clothes." Drywall and a layer of paint seem to have begun the build out at the vacant space at 1925 E. Kenilworth.

In February, we first reported this rumor and, at least according to one individual on the scene, it seems to be coming true. Company officials did not respond to our e-mail inquiry.

Jim Plaisted, executive director of the East Side Business Improvement District, thinks, if the news is true, that it's great for the East Side neighborhood. While he couldn't officially confirm, he told me via e-mail, "The new Urban Outfitters store would be great news for the East Side BID! Once again, a high quality national retailer has chosen our funky commercial neighborhood for their first store in Southeastern Wisconsin. Even though they are a "national", they will fit right in with our small, local business flavor on the East Side. We couldn't be happier."

The company's only other Wisconsin location is on State Street in Madison.
exit_320 no está en línea  

Closed Thread