daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1581
Twoaday
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,424
Likes (Received): 1230

Now there's a chain that can and will work well on the east side! Further New on the North End
http://www.biztimes.com/realestatewe...-to-begin-soon
Twoaday no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #1582
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Las Vegas (Milwaukee in the heart)
Posts: 123
Likes (Received): 4

Great news on the Bio-fuel refinery. Its great to see all these condos go up but I think sometimes things like this or Palermo’s going into the valley (while less glamorous) pack a bigger punch.
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1583
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Urban Outfitters would be a great addition to the Milwaukee retail market. I look forward to its opening! THIS is retail Milwaukee needs.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1584
djcody
Registered User
 
djcody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 312
Likes (Received): 0

hmm cool, i live a few houses down from that bayview project. I gotta say that this area is pretty hip and i like living here, this can only add to what we have but we'll see how that goes i guess.
__________________
GB Superbowl XLV World Champions!!
djcody no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1585
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcody View Post
hmm cool, i live a few houses down from that bayview project. I gotta say that this area is pretty hip and i like living here, this can only add to what we have but we'll see how that goes i guess.
Bay View project? I thought it was going on the East Side?
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1586
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

East Side = Urban Outfitters @ Kenilworth Square
Bay View = Mod Lofts
Markitect no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1587
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1



WEDNESDAY, June 6, 2007, 1:46 p.m.
By Tom Daykin

Report backs cautious Park East approach
City financial assistance for developments in Milwaukee's Park East area should be used cautiously to avoid promoting weak projects that could end up hurting other downtown developments, says a new study released today.

That conclusion, in a study commissioned by Mayor Tom Barrett's administration, is being used by Barrett to support his approach toward providing financial help for Park East developments.

"I believe we ought to heed the consultants' advice on this point: don't open the public pocketbook to pay for projects that simply move tenants from one downtown building to another," Barrett says in a letter to Common Council members that accompanies the study.

The issue has heated up recently with a focus on developer Richard Curto's plans for Park East Square, which would build a hotel, housing and retail space on 2 acres west of N. Jefferson St., between E. Lyon St. and E. Ogden Ave.

Department of City Development officials, based on an initial analysis, rebuffed Curto's request for $9.5 million in city funds to help finance the project's $77.7 million first phase. Development Commissioner Rocky Marcoux says Curto should stick with his original plan, which called for a smaller, $40.1 million housing and retail project - and no public cash.

Park East Square supporters, including construction union officials and Ald. Mike D'Amato, said Curto's current version of the project would provide more property tax revenue and jobs than the smaller version advocated by department officials. Property taxes from Park East Square's first phase would pay back $9.5 million in borrowed city funds, along with $4 million in city interest charges, within 10 years, said Curto, who operates Chicago-based RSC & Associates Inc.

Barrett and the council have agreed to provide $8.8 for the North End, Mandel Group Inc.'s $175 million housing and retail development planned for the site of the former Pfister & Vogel tannery. It is the largest pending project in the Park East. The city has so far spent another $17 million to prepare the Park East for development, including the costs of razing the former Park East Freeway and building a new bridge over the Milwaukee River.

But the department does not want to support developments that it considers to be speculative. The study released today supports that view.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #1588
DooMer_MP3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 438
Likes (Received): 124

Eh, I dont even know what my feelings are on the whole TIF thing... However, one thing for sure is that a lot of this Park East land will likely continue to sit vacant for awhile...
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1589
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
Eh, I dont even know what my feelings are on the whole TIF thing... However, one thing for sure is that a lot of this Park East land will likely continue to sit vacant for awhile...
I don't see that as very positive, either. Vacant land in the middle of downtown isn't exactly what I call very prosperous. While we need decent developments, we can't over-do ourselves and demand the ritz.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1590
EastSider
Fresh Coast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,513
Likes (Received): 5

Downer Parking-Lot Redevelopment

Have you guys seen this rendering? [Part of the larger NLE project]



From: JSonline.com
EastSider no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1591
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

That's a bit on the wild side....I like it.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #1592
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I don't see that as very positive, either. Vacant land in the middle of downtown isn't exactly what I call very prosperous. While we need decent developments, we can't over-do ourselves and demand the ritz.
we're not demanding the ritz, we are demanding projects that aren't going to just transfer people from one section of downtown to another. duplication of services is inefficient and would be a slap in the face to those that came first and developed WITHOUT assistance.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #1593
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
we're not demanding the ritz, we are demanding projects that aren't going to just transfer people from one section of downtown to another. duplication of services is inefficient and would be a slap in the face to those that came first and developed WITHOUT assistance.
Alrighty....

So, a proposal for a 4-5 star hotel shouldn't be approved because we already got one?

A large retail, dining, and entertainment complex shouldn't be approved because we have The Grand?

Building additional office space in newer buildings shouldn't be approved because we still have office space in other older buildings?

I mean if we're going down this road I guess downtown Milwaukee will be stuck with strictly condo towers and nothing else.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #1594
Jesse276
Registered User
 
Jesse276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 905
Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Alrighty....

So, a proposal for a 4-5 star hotel shouldn't be approved because we already got one?

A large retail, dining, and entertainment complex shouldn't be approved because we have The Grand?

Building additional office space in newer buildings shouldn't be approved because we still have office space in other older buildings?

I mean if we're going down this road I guess downtown Milwaukee will be stuck with strictly condo towers and nothing else.
Once again you miss the point. People are against subsidy of say a commercial tenant moving from the existing downtown area to the PE. They are against the idea of subsidising the move of retail to the PE. It is the subsidy paired with the existing tenants that is the problem.
Jesse276 no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #1595
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Once again you miss the point. People are against subsidy of say a commercial tenant moving from the existing downtown area to the PE. They are against the idea of subsidising the move of retail to the PE. It is the subsidy paired with the existing tenants that is the problem.
I see.

So then what about Ruvin's hotel/condo development? Kingston is new to Milwaukee.

And RSC's development would have new retail - but opinion varies on what retail it will be. The retail at RSC's won't be at the Grand, and The Grand has its own revitalization project going on with mid-box stores as well.

Sooooo that's bad?
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #1596
Jesse276
Registered User
 
Jesse276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 905
Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I see.

So then what about Ruvin's hotel/condo development? Kingston is new to Milwaukee.

And RSC's development would have new retail - but opinion varies on what retail it will be. The retail at RSC's won't be at the Grand, and The Grand has its own revitalization project going on with mid-box stores as well.

Sooooo that's bad?
Seriously, I'm starting to think you have a learning disability.

RSC is asking for a TIF, it's having trouble right now because they have their hand out. In fact we went around about this not too long ago. Last I heard, Ruvin wasn't asking for a TIF, and the city would be against it if they asked.

If any of those developments were to move forward without a TIF, they would have the utmost support from the city and I'm sure most on this board.
Jesse276 no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #1597
tomkel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 85
Likes (Received): 2

I'll be in my good-old hometown this weekend and am bringing a friend to show-off the place. Is the UCT lit every night or are they still working on that?
tomkel no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #1598
Twoaday
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,424
Likes (Received): 1230

First Ruvin is proposing a Kimpton hotel and has at the very least hinted around that they want a TIF as well, because despite going into projet knowing the issue with their design and sewer placement now they are saying its a hardship so the they need a TIF. Though I do believe the second Ruvin hotel proposal isn't asking for one. Secondly not all projects deserve a TIF and incidentally the independent consulting firm just reported back to the city agreeing with DCD!

Yea nothings going on in the Park East pfft! FlatIron almost finished, Staybridge underconstruction, North End begins demolition this month (yup they got a TIF for a new road, riverwalk, public plaza, and environmental cleanup)... Just outside of the Park East Manpower is wraping up and Pabst is moving forward, in fact Gorman received Planning Commision approval the other day. Yup nothings going on at all.

Again you do NOT want all the development to occur at once... Then you get Disneyland as all the styles will be the same. Further you want different ages of buildings, to help keep rents affordable and so on.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #1599
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

The full article in the Journal Sentinel explains a bit more on the Park East TIF issue: Study discourages city funds - Park East developments could hurt other projects, it says

As does the Downtown Market Study Report and Downtown Hotel Study Report.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #1600
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
First Ruvin is proposing a Kimpton hotel and has at the very least hinted around that they want a TIF as well, because despite going into projet knowing the issue with their design and sewer placement now they are saying its a hardship so the they need a TIF. Though I do believe the second Ruvin hotel proposal isn't asking for one. Secondly not all projects deserve a TIF and incidentally the independent consulting firm just reported back to the city agreeing with DCD!

Yea nothings going on in the Park East pfft! FlatIron almost finished, Staybridge underconstruction, North End begins demolition this month (yup they got a TIF for a new road, riverwalk, public plaza, and environmental cleanup)... Just outside of the Park East Manpower is wraping up and Pabst is moving forward, in fact Gorman received Planning Commision approval the other day. Yup nothings going on at all.

Again you do NOT want all the development to occur at once... Then you get Disneyland as all the styles will be the same. Further you want different ages of buildings, to help keep rents affordable and so on.
OK so the question for you is - does Milwaukee give Ruvin the TIF for Kimpton or not? We already know your answer for RSCs.

The bad part is the Park East where you can see it is still extremely vacant. All the projects underway had buildings on them previously (for the most part). It's kinda frustrating to see just empty dirt in the middle of downtown. Please tell me you share that frustration!
brewcityfan no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium