daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #1601
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
OK so the question for you is - does Milwaukee give Ruvin the TIF for Kimpton or not? We already know your answer for RSCs.

The bad part is the Park East where you can see it is still extremely vacant. All the projects underway had buildings on them previously (for the most part). It's kinda frustrating to see just empty dirt in the middle of downtown. Please tell me you share that frustration!
In my opinion no, but I also do know one of the big factors in the RSC decision is that they first proposed a development that didn't need public assistance, and only recently upgraded their proposal and decided to ask for money.

The Park East is frustrating, but that doesn't mean we should let our frustrations make us approve any proposal just to fill the land.
exit_320 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #1602
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
Have you guys seen this rendering? [Part of the larger NLE project]

"COOL RETAIL?" I didn't know they were opening one of their classy stores
in our hip, classy town!

Last edited by historybuffer; June 7th, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #1603
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
"COOL RETAIL?" I didn't know they were opening one of their classy stores
in our hip, classy town!
My thoughts EXACTLY!
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #1604
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

As far as the Downer garage structure it's unfortunate that it needs to be a parking garage but at least it has some first floor retail and it appears to be needed to make the entire project work so I'd say it is worth it.

Ruvin's Kimpton project definitely intrigues me as Kimptons are pretty cool, and I like the fact they intend to preserve the breweries. That said they knew going in the cities stands on TIFs in the Park East, and they knew the situation with the sewer there so it is pretty insincere to then come back asking for a TIF. That said I'm still undecieded on this one.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #1605
brewcityfan

Did they really know how the city stood on TIFs though, two? In all honesty...
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1606
exit_320

Quote:
Did they really know how the city stood on TIFs though, two? In all honesty...
If they are intelligent developers they should have
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #1607
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

More positive press for our fair city.

http://www.timeout.com/chicago/Detai...h_or_dairy.xml

This piece from Time Out Chicago is without a doubt the best travel article I've ever read about Milwaukee. They do mention the Laverne and Shirley aspect, acknoweldge it, then move on from it. Overall it's a well researched piece and it paints our city in a realistic and flattering light.
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #1608
Twoaday

brew> In a word.. .yes
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #1609
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post

This piece from Time Out Chicago is without a doubt the best travel article I've ever read about Milwaukee. They do mention the Laverne and Shirley aspect, acknoweldge it, then move on from it. Overall it's a well researched piece and it paints our city in a realistic and flattering light.
Wow, that article is amazing. I've lived here all my life, and I learned a lot from it. I especially like the local artist section where you can listen to a song from each.

Seriously guys, check out this article.
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #1610
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
Have you guys seen this rendering? [Part of the larger NLE project]

Oh, no! Where's that crappy little popcorn stand?
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #1611
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen View Post

God I can't believe how famous juiceboxx has gotten.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1612
Twoaday

The crappy little popcorn wagon (if it doesn't fall apart during the move) will go across the street near cvs.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1613
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
Oh, no! Where's that crappy little popcorn stand?
Ohhhhhhhh! For the life of me I could never picture exactly where this was until you said that! Thanks!
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #1614
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
If they are intelligent developers they should have
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
brew> In a word.. .yes
Alright, well....I don't know what to say then.
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1615
brewcityfan

Quote:

I mean if we're going down this road I guess downtown Milwaukee will be stuck with strictly condo towers and nothing else.
I think someone was reading my mind....

Quote:
Consultant favors Park East condos

Area's best suited for them, he says

By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]

Posted: June 8, 2007

Developers with projects proposed for Milwaukee's Park East area might need to consider adding condominiums in place of hotels, offices and retail space.

Condos remain the most lucrative form of downtown development projects, and, generally, they could be developed without city financial assistance on the large empty lots that characterize much of the Park East, a city consultant said Thursday.

As a result, much of the Park East, including 16 acres of vacant lots that Milwaukee County owns, appears best suited for condo development, said Tony Smith of S.B. Friedman & Co. The downtown condo market remains strong, Smith told the city Redevelopment Authority Board.

Although the condo market is becoming more competitive, the number of potential condo buyers, especially so-called empty-nesters, is growing, said Smith, whose firm recently completed a study of downtown development for the Department of City Development.

Meanwhile, the downtown office market is lackluster, he said.

Providing financial help for new office buildings would be best limited to cases in which large employers are attracted to downtown or kept from leaving downtown, Smith said.

He also said additional downtown retail space would create relatively low-paying jobs, and the addition of too many hotel rooms would shift business from existing hotels.

The department commissioned the study because of several pending developments, including hotel projects, seeking city financing.

Mayor Tom Barrett and some Common Council members have been at odds over how much - if any - city cash should flow into Park East developments.

The Friedman study concludes that the city needs to be careful with any financing assistance to avoid causing the supply of space, such as hotel rooms and offices, to outpace demand.

Some of the largest projects pending in Park East have a mix of uses, including hotels, offices, condos and retail space. Smith said that some of the mixed-use projects could be redesigned to include more condos, which would reduce or eliminate the other uses.

Developer Robert Ruvin, who listened to Smith's presentation, said afterward that he was willing to consider a different mix of uses.

Ruvin and David Florsheim, along with Gatehouse Capital Corp. of Dallas, want to build a 180-room Kimpton Hotel, condos, offices and retail space on a block bordered by W. Juneau and W. McKinley avenues and N. Old World 3rd and N. 4th streets.

Ruvin also said he was waiting to hear back from city development officials about his proposal and a request for possible public financing. Developers, along with some aldermen, have said the Barrett administration should take a more aggressive approach to financing Park East developments.

Barrett has said that he wants to see development but also to avoid creating buildings that aren't justified by market demand.

The Friedman study says it could be seven to 18 years before construction is completed throughout the entire Park East area.
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #1616
exit_320

Quote:
I think someone was reading my mind....
Your mind said that we should develop the Park East land mostly in the form of condos because it is the best and most economic use of the land? Your mind also said that hotels in the area would take business away from other hotels and therefore shouldn't get public assistance?
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #1617
brewcityfan

Quote:
Your mind said that we should develop the Park East land mostly in the form of condos because it is the best and most economic use of the land? Your mind also said that hotels in the area would take business away from other hotels and therefore shouldn't get public assistance?
Well that's why I quoted myself before saying it. Just a day or so after I said Milwaukee would just do better with strictly condos the JS reports the study says the same thing.

I think the study, however, is against any type of competition in saying that other hotels would take business away. I say somebody doesn't like competition - particularly Mr. Marcus. He's the only one that has all the elite hotels downtown, other than the Hyatt. The hotel planned in the Park East for a TIF would be a rival to his hotels. Hmm...

Now Aloft would probably be a different story, because as two or MilwaukeeD or even exit would say - Staybridge put up theirs without TIF!
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1618
exit_320

Quote:
Well that's why I quoted myself before saying it. Just a day or so after I said Milwaukee would just do better with strictly condos the JS reports the study says the same thing.
This comment didn't seem to show that you thought Milwaukee would "do better" with condos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
I mean if we're going down this road I guess downtown Milwaukee will be stuck with strictly condo towers and nothing else.
"stuck with"? and "nothing else"? didn't sound supportive of condo development to me
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #1619
brewcityfan

Quote:
This comment didn't seem to show that you thought Milwaukee would "do better" with condos:

"stuck with"? and "nothing else"? didn't sound supportive of condo development to me
I'm sorry if you saw it that way. In the light of office and retail being opposed because of TIF purposes, "stuck with" and "nothing else" seemed best suited for my statement. Downtown Milwaukee's biggest boom, the condo boom, is the best thing that's going for them.
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #1620
Twoaday

brew> competition is fine but if you have an existing business and the city comes in and hands 10 million dollars to a new business to compete against you well... does that seem right to you?
Twoaday no está en línea  

Closed Thread