daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1621
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
brew> competition is fine but if you have an existing business and the city comes in and hands 10 million dollars to a new business to compete against you well... does that seem right to you?
Well, in that form - no I guess I can't say it does sound right. But why not try something else - like 5 mil to the new guy and 5 mil to the competitior (Marcus)? I hate it when everything's so set in stone sometimes. It can get ridiculous.
brewcityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1622
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Well, in that form - no I guess I can't say it does sound right. But why not try something else - like 5 mil to the new guy and 5 mil to the competitior (Marcus)? I hate it when everything's so set in stone sometimes. It can get ridiculous.
Business and money are things that are cut and dry.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #1623
Paule

Likes (Received): 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
Wow, that article is amazing. I've lived here all my life, and I learned a lot from it. I especially like the local artist section where you can listen to a song from each.

Seriously guys, check out this article.
After reading through the "hoods" section I have to say that their 3rd Ward commentary wasn't the best but at least it stayed positive.

"Third Ward
Imagine Wicker Park if half the storefronts were vacant and there were little to no foot traffic. That’s the Third Ward, a former warehouse district that’s just south of downtown and a few blocks in from the lake. There’s a lot of potential here: restaurants with sidewalk seating; cute boutiques; the Broadway Theatre Center (158 N Broadway, 414-291-7800), which puts on popular musicals and plays; and art galleries. Hell, there’s even the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (273 E Erie St, 414-276-7889), but where are the disaffected art students?—LB"

Last edited by Paule; June 8th, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
Paule no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1624
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
God I can't believe how famous juiceboxx has gotten.
Juiceboxxx is Milwaukee's Best!!!

LOL, they play his music up here in Wausau and when I first heard him that is how they introed him.
Paule no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #1625
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Milwaukee Mass Portrait

http://milwaukeemassportrait.org/Index.html

Kind of cool.. wonder how many people will show up for it.

exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #1626
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
After reading through the "hoods" section I have to say that their 3rd Ward commentary wasn't the best but at least it stayed positive.

Imagine Wicker Park if half the storefronts were vacant and there were little to no foot traffic. ,
That is Wicker Park, head north past 1600 North Milwaukee Avenue and you tell me how hip, happening boarded up buildings, empty lots, an Aldis, and some speculative condos but little or no foot traffic unless you include the bums hanging out around the corner from "Scoop NYC" and the green metal strip mall with a laundrymat and tanning place in the lot next to it, is. Or head South off the Division - Blue Line stop on North Milwaukee head South towards downtown, your lucky to not see someone other than a pan handler. Check out lovely large furniture stores jammed with crap selling particle board furniture, and cheap brass beds, or choose a check cashing place to your liking.

I lived in Chicago and have been there a few times this year, especially the Bucktown/Ukranian Village/Wicker Park area since my friends live around there.

The Third Ward is not Wicker Park. The Third Ward is exactly like "River North" in Chicago, close to downtown, warehouses filled with advertising and graphic design firms, architecture firms. Then add the retail, restaurants, and residents in the last 10 years.

ADD SOME gentrification: QUIRKY CAFES, overpriced condos, restaurants with valet parking ala Division two blocks west of the Blue line stop, some Urban Outfitter-like stores to Mitchell Street and VOILA Wicker Park.

Last edited by historybuffer; June 8th, 2007 at 08:35 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #1627
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
That is Wicker Park, head north past 1600 North Milwaukee Avenue and you tell me how hip, happening boarded up buildings, empty lots, an Aldis, and some speculative condos but little or no foot traffic unless you include the bums hanging out around the corner from "Scoop NYC" and the green metal strip mall with a laundrymat and tanning place in the lot next to it, is. Or head South off the Division - Blue Line stop on North Milwaukee head South towards downtown, your lucky to not see someone other than a pan handler. Check out lovely large furniture stores jammed with crap selling particle board furniture, and cheap brass beds, or choose a check cashing place to your liking.

I lived in Chicago and have been there a few times this year, especially the Bucktown/Ukranian Village/Wicker Park area since my friends live around there.

The Third Ward is not Wicker Park. The Third Ward is exactly like "River North" in Chicago, close to downtown, warehouses filled with advertising and graphic design firms, architecture firms. Then add the retail, restaurants, and residents in the last 10 years.

ADD SOME gentrification: QUIRKY CAFES, overpriced condos, restaurants with valet parking ala Division two blocks west of the Blue line stop, some Urban Outfitter-like stores to Mitchell Street and VOILA Wicker Park.
Kool, you sound like you know what you're talking about, unlike the cool report from that site.

LOL! "or chose a check cashing place to your liking" I'm about rolling on the floor with that one! I once about 2 years ago had to go to one of those place's. I was in a sort of a jam and didn't feel like bumming money from friends or family so I tried it out. Last week that same place called me up telling me that I was a valued costumer and because I haven't seen them in over a year they were offering discounts on my next check advance. LOL, that was funny!

Quote:

"Third Ward
Imagine Wicker Park if half the storefronts were vacant and there were little to no foot traffic. That’s the Third Ward, a former warehouse district that’s just south of downtown and a few blocks in from the lake. There’s a lot of potential here: restaurants with sidewalk seating; cute boutiques; the Broadway Theatre Center (158 N Broadway, 414-291-7800), which puts on popular musicals and plays; and art galleries. Hell, there’s even the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (273 E Erie St, 414-276-7889), but where are the disaffected art students?—LB"
Where are the art students? Since he's comparing the 3rd Ward to Wicker park perhaps he should be asking where are the Bums?

Last edited by Paule; June 8th, 2007 at 09:22 PM.
Paule no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #1628
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Kool, you sound like you know what you're talking about, unlike the cool report from that site.

LOL! "or chose a check cashing place to your liking" I'm about rolling on the floor with that one! I once about 2 years ago had to go to one of those place's. I was in a sort of a jam and didn't feel like bumming money from friends or family so I tried it out. Last week that same place called me up telling me that I was a valued costumer and because I haven't seen them in over a year they were offering discounts on my next check advance. LOL, that was funny!

Where are the art students? Since he's comparing the 3rd Ward to Wicker park perhaps he should be asking where are the Bums?
"River North" in Chicago and the Third Ward in Milwaukee, are cut exactly from the same urban fabric. Dead during most of the day, as everyone there is working! Both buzz with street activity at lunch when the workers(!) in their respective warehouse districts go to lunch. Both again buzz with activity at night or weekend when the workers go to dinner or people from another part of the city come in for dinner.

Because the Third Ward has MIAD it is a little bit more active during the day than River North. But in general count street activity being either bike messengers, FED EX or UPS trucks because people work indoors during the day, usually.

Because Milwaukee doesn't have a Michigan Avenue type shopping district like Chicago where tourists flock, the Third Ward is more active during the day than the River North area in Chicago. Out-of-towners, tourists visit the Third Ward, the River North is mostly comatose during the weekend, partly because it's cut off from the city by the Brown Line, and hidden behind the Merchandise Mart, and far from Michigan Avenue. While Milwaukee's main downtown street Wisconsin Avenue is about four blocks from the Third Ward.

Last edited by historybuffer; June 8th, 2007 at 09:50 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #1629
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
"River North" in Chicago and the Third Ward in Milwaukee, are cut exactly from the same urban fabric. Dead during most of the day, as everyone there is working! Both buzz with street activity at lunch when the workers(!) in their respective warehouse districts go to lunch. Both again buzz with activity at night or weekend when the workers go to dinner or people from another part of the city come in for dinner.

Because the Third Ward has MIAD it is a little bit more active during the day than River North. But in general count street activity being either bike messengers, FED EX or UPS trucks because people work indoors during the day, usually.

Because Milwaukee doesn't have a Michigan Avenue type shopping district like Chicago where tourists flock, the Third Ward is more active during the day than the River North area in Chicago. Out-of-towners, tourists visit the Third Ward, the River North is mostly comatose during the weekend, partly because it's cut off from the city by the Brown Line, and hidden behind the Merchandise Mart, and far from Michigan Avenue. While Milwaukee's main downtown street Wisconsin Avenue is about four blocks from the Third Ward.
So you're saying that you think that guy in the article is talking out his ass. He probably didn't spend much time in the 3rd ward and knew he had to say something about it and got together with some Milwaukeeans who just don't care. They probably should've employed you historybuffer for the piece, again, you sound more like you know what you're talking about.
Paule no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1630
Paule

From JSOnline

Consultant favors Park East condos
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=616717

Excerpt:
Developers with projects proposed for Milwaukee's Park East area might need to consider adding condominiums in place of hotels, offices and retail space.

I agree that there needs to be a balance but Milwaukee is known for not having enough hotel rooms and if the Midwest Express center is going to remain being successful the downtown needs alot more hotel rooms than what they have now. The question is whether all these new hotel proposals can survive, if any?

Which hotel proposals do you like and wish will carry through and which ones should be dropped?
Paule no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1631
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Like:
Staybridge (and it's going up)
Ghazi (catalytic)
Modern...
and I even want Ruvin to build his two hotels.
Boris's Downer hotel appears to be moving forward and it makes sense near UWM and the hospital.

naw
rsc no hotel flag to my knowledge
lake point tower - clearly no demand for office space which would be most of this building.

Seems to me if we built out all those that would be a bunch more rooms.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #1632
Paule

Quote:
Like:
Staybridge (and it's going up)
Ghazi (catalytic)
Modern...
and I even want Ruvin to build his two hotels.
Boris's Downer hotel appears to be moving forward and it makes sense near UWM and the hospital.

naw
lake point tower - clearly no demand for office space which would be most of this building.

Seems to me if we built out all those that would be a bunch more rooms.
I love the Staybridge!
I agree with the Moderne and the Ruvin plans, after that I say it might be too much.

Could you help me out though, I'm still confussed on where exactly the Staybridge is going up, what is the address?
Paule no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #1633
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule
Could you help me out though, I'm still confussed on where exactly the Staybridge is going up, what is the address?
The Staybridge is going up on the southeast corner of Water & Juneau. It will be replacing a surface parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday
Hyatt Place
Markitect no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #1634
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
The Staybridge is going up on the southeast corner of Water & Juneau. It will be replacing a surface parking lot.
YES! Thanks Mark, that makes this project so much more sweat. This is all still moving a little too slow but I love what Milwaukee is doing!
Paule no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1635
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Hyatt Place
Hmm....would this be considered as upscale to some?

Does this affect any opinions?
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #1636
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

My point about RSC not having a flag is that I don't believe they have deals with Hyatt or the upscale retailers either... I do believe they have mcdonalds and krispy krem locked up though!
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #1637
Markitect

Quote:
I agree that there needs to be a balance but Milwaukee is known for not having enough hotel rooms and if the Midwest Express center is going to remain being successful the downtown needs alot more hotel rooms than what they have now. The question is whether all these new hotel proposals can survive, if any?
Yes, Downtown can support some more hotel rooms, but Downtown cannot support all of the hotel rooms that are currently being proposed. That is the gist of the consultant's study. Thus it is of utmost importance the City is cautious of exactly which of the hotel proposals, if any, it should/could support with financial assistance.

The best thing the City can do is use TIF to stimulate the demand for hotel rooms, rather than using TIF to increase the supply of hotel rooms. This would entail such public-private projects like an expansion of the convention center, a new or expanded sports arena, attracting more corporate offices, and other tourist/business/entertainment attractions. Those are the types of projects that not only attract locals, but more importantly to the hotel industry, they attract out-of-towners who will need places to stay while they are in town for a convention, or on a business trip, or are on vacation. By using TIF to help out with projects that stimulate the demand for hotel rooms, the supply of those hotel rooms will naturally follow, and that supply of hotels rooms has a better chance of being built with little or no public assistance. Otherwise, if TIF is used to stimulate the supply of all or many of the hotel rooms currently being proposed to the point that the supply outpaces the demand, Downtown Milwaukee is left with a bunch of hotels (old ones and new ones) that end up with less than ideal vacancy rates...which in turn means the hotel operators are losing out on money, which in turn means the City's investment, via all the hotel TIFs, end up being poor investments.
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #1638
brewcityfan

Quote:
My point about RSC not having a flag is that I don't believe they have deals with Hyatt or the upscale retailers either... I do believe they have mcdonalds and krispy krem locked up though!
You would say something like that! Let's wait and see what the real story is before assuming too much Two!
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #1639
Markitect

Quote:
My point about RSC not having a flag is that I don't believe they have deals with Hyatt
Nor does yet Ruvin/Gatehouse with Kimpton and Aloft, according to the hotel study.
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #1640
nic158

Long time no post, but i'm taking a stab it see if anyone here can answer a question.

I drive up prospect everyday and i always notice a vacant grass lot on the northeast side of Knapp and prospect. it seems perfect for a residential high-rise, in fact, when i read about the potential high-rise on Knapp i assumed it was that spot until i noticed the address By any chance does anyone know if this is private property? if it is, I’m assuming that someone is just waiting to cash in someday.
nic158 no está en línea  

Closed Thread