daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 9th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #1641
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic158
I drive up prospect everyday and i always notice a vacant grass lot on the northeast side of Knapp and prospect. it seems perfect for a residential high-rise, in fact, when i read about the potential high-rise on Knapp i assumed it was that spot until i noticed the address By any chance does anyone know if this is private property? if it is, I’m assuming that someone is just waiting to cash in someday.

The northeast side of Knapp/Prospect is already developed. It's Mandel's Lake Bluff Condos (recently converted over from apartments).

There is, however, a vacant lot immediately adjacent, at the northeast corner of Ogden/Prospect, which is also owned by the Mandel Group. They have long-term plans to develop that lot with some kind of residential building.

The Break Water Condos is the recently-announced proposal you are thinking of. The site for that project is on the northwest corner of Knapp and Franklin, opposite the Lake Bluff Condos. The building that stands there now would be demolished to make way for it.

Last edited by Markitect; June 9th, 2007 at 03:24 AM.
Markitect no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #1642
nic158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
The northeast side of Knapp/Prospect is already developed. It's Mandel's Lake Bluff Condos (recently converted over from apartments).

There is, however, a vacant lot immediately adjacent, at the northeast corner of Ogden/Prospect, which is also owned by the Mandel Group. They have long-term plans to develop that lot with some kind of residential building.

The Break Water Condos is the recently-announced proposal you are thinking of. The site for that project is on the northwest corner of Knapp and Franklin, opposite the Lake Bluff Condos. The building that stands there now would be demolished to make way for it.

Thanks, a second look at a map let me see knapp doesn't quite reach prospect. Its nice to know Mandel owns it, i like their work.
nic158 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1643
Skyking2
BANNED

Shhhhh...listen to the crickets and watch the tumbleweeds blowing through Downtown Milwaukee...
What the heck is going on?! Other than nothing!
Three days without a post?! Perhaps it's the calm before the storm...
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1644
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Shhhhh...listen to the crickets and watch the tumbleweeds blowing through Downtown Milwaukee...
Yes, we need more quality posts like this one from Skyking2!
Jesse276 no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #1645
Markitect

Quote:
Actually, there's quite a bit of work going on behind-the-scenes on various Downtown proposals...

Break Water Condos - seeking the necessary design and zoning approvals, and preliminary marketing

Prospect Heights replacement high-rise - seeking zoning changes

Ghazi - design revisions, anchor tenant searching

The Moderne - preliminary marketing, seeking financing, will need zoning approvals

Rivianna - seeking zoning changes and doing design revisions, preliminary marketing
Markitect no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #1646
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

It's summer in Milwaukee, there is too much stuff going on for us to sit around here and debate everything!

But there has been plenty of news that has either been barely mentioned on here or not mentioned at all.

Last week there was that Downtown Market Study. Yesterday, Whitney Gould had an article about the parking garage on Downer. That Shaq article was mistakenly posted in the H-D museum thread. And Urban Outfitters is coming to the Kenilworth.

Besides, a lot less proposals are announced in the summer, the summer is construction season. And there is plenty of construction going on:
- H-D museum really starting to take shape
- Park Lafayette hole appears to be dug
- Manpower almost finished up
- First Place, River Ren and Vetter Denk all finishing up in the 5th Ward
- Convent Hill and Flatiron finishing up in Park East, with North End to begin demo this month
- Lakeshore State Park opening June 23rd
- Plenty of construction in the Valley, with the Potawatomi expansion, Proven Direct building, Badger Railing building and more to follow
- and lets not forget the Intermodal Station, which appears to have most of its steel structure in place for the addition.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #1647
Skyking2
BANNED

Thanks Markitect and MilwaukeeD...that's a nice recap for those of us not as connected to what's going on. There really is quite a bit happening. I think some of the projects -- particularly in the Park East -- have cooled while the whole TIF issue is flushed out. We may lose some of those projects, or they'll get scaled back (sadly), but I agree that the city cannot assist new developments at the risk of hurting established buildings that may not have benefited from TIF money when they were built years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Yes, we need more quality posts like this one from Skyking2!
Settle down, big boy. It's just meant to get the ball rolling. Try to gain some composure now.

Last edited by Skyking2; June 13th, 2007 at 07:07 AM.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #1648
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Thanks Markitect and MilwaukeeD...that's a nice recap for those of us not as connected to what's going on. There really is quite a bit happening. I think some of the projects -- particularly in the Park East -- have cooled while the whole TIF issue is flushed out. We may lose some of those projects, or they'll get scaled back (sadly), but I agree that the city cannot assist new developments at the risk of hurting established buildings that may not have benefited from TIF money when they were built years ago.
Milwaukee needs to find a way to appease both sides, or at least make one side calm down for the most part. I agree that TIFing new projects might harm existing non-TIFed establishments, but there's a lot of benefits that would be received if projects are allowed to be built to its fullest extent.

That's why I mentioned an idea of possibly helping existing establishments that previously were non-TIFed with competing against TIFed projects.

It'd definitely be thinking outside of the box, and I sure don't want to see vacant parcels of land along downtown Milwaukee's northern border for 20+ years.

I also got a favor to ask of my Milwaukeeian counterparts. If you could please go to http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...4#post13695604 and provide me an opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by brewcityfan; June 13th, 2007 at 08:16 AM.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #1649
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Imagine a Milwaukee World Trade Center building

From Biztimes.com... Would be interesting if they partnered with US Bank for Lake Pointe Tower...

R. Christian Bartley, the chief executive officer of World Trade Center Wisconsin, hopes to find a real estate developer to construct a building in downtown Milwaukee that would be called the World Trade Center and would lease office space to World Trade Center Wisconsin.

“This is one way for us and the community to show that we’re a global city,” Bartley said. “A World Trade Center is a building that people understand.”

World Trade Center Wisconsin recently moved its office from 1228 N. Astor St., Milwaukee, to a small office space in the Milwaukee County War Memorial Center building at 750 N. Lincoln Memorial Drive.

There are more than 110 World Trade Center properties across the globe, Bartley said, and each brings benefits to its members.

“They (World Trade Centers) tend to be landmarks,” he said. “Their office rates tend to be higher, and they tend to draw premiums.”

Lease rates in New York’s World Trade Center, prior to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, were about 18 percent higher than other downtown Manhattan buildings. Lease rates for the World Trade Center building in Taipei are about 18 percent higher than other buildings there. Lease rates for the World Trade Center building in Boston are about 50 percent higher than other downtown Boston office buildings, Bartley said.

Occupancy rates also tend to be higher in World Trade Center buildings, Bartley said. Sao Paulo, Brazil, has an office space occupancy rate of about 86 percent, but the World Trade Center building there has a 92.5 percent occupancy rate.

Hotels located within World Trade Center buildings have lower vacancy rates, Bartley said.

More importantly, establishing a building in Milwaukee with the World Trade Center name on it would give the city international prestige, he said.

“It’s a landmark that shows that our community and our companies are part of the global marketplace,” Bartley said. “It’s also a prestigious address for companies. There’s a bit of a cachet with that.”

If the Wisconsin office of the World Trade Centers manages to develop or partner in the development of a building that would be recognized as a local World Trade Center, there would be immediate benefits to the office and Milwaukee, said Sen. Dietmar Goetz, president of the World Trade Center in Cologne, Germany.

Goetz owns seven World Trade Center offices in Germany. All of his German offices are located within their own buildings. The World Trade Center building in Cologne, a 50,000-square-meter office and hotel facility, has helped the World Trade Center office there boost the image for the city and the World Trade Center, he said.

“If a World Trade Center opens up, the numbers are fantastic for the building and companies in it,” Goetz said. “They are immediately known worldwide. Everybody can do this, if they do it in the right location.”
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1650
sideliner

Likes (Received): 3

Lake Pointe Tower would be a good location for a World Trade Center office, which wants a venue that is emblematic of MKE -- near the lake, and bridging downtown with the Third Ward (and, possibly some day, a significant development south of the Italian Community Center with an Italian/European motif). But I'm guessing the WTC would need only a modicum of space itself. Its value to LPT would be its potential to draw other kindred services, like a law office, or accounting firm or international logistics business.
sideliner no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #1651
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Don't forget about the Downer tower. I looks like they've completely gutted the floors above Schwartz and Starbucks. And now that Whitney Gould publicly bitched at all of her NIMBY neighbors, we might be getting the matching parking structure complete with the always hip and trendy "Cool Retail."
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1652
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

I like the idea of a world trade center in milwaukee, if one were to get built i would hope it would take over the skyline as the tallest building, i guess it might have to partner with LPT to do that???
miltown no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1653
khilani003

Anyone know anything about this "Water Street Tower" project by Gastrau Furer?

http://www.swiss-architects.com/inde...4&filter_abc=F

It seems to be located at the corner of Water & St. Paul.
khilani003 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #1654
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Settle down, big boy. It's just meant to get the ball rolling. Try to gain some composure now.
I'll try, maybe one of these will help...
Jesse276 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #1655
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khilani003 View Post
Anyone know anything about this "Water Street Tower" project by Gastrau Furer?

http://www.swiss-architects.com/inde...4&filter_abc=F

It seems to be located at the corner of Water & St. Paul.
I really dont know....but my lord, is that tower incredible. Reminds me of something that would be built in London, not Milwaukee. Just imagine if this gets built, along with the Ziggurat planned across 794--how impressive it would look from 794.

Dr Dooms Love Child no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1656
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

and a World Trade Center for Milwaukee? Jesus Christ--this city is going to soon be rivaling Minneapolis for second best skyline in the Midwest.
Dr Dooms Love Child no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #1657
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

WOW. Is this one of those dream proposals that never comes to light or is it a serious proposal? Looks sweet.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #1658
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dooms Love Child View Post
I really dont know....but my lord, is that tower incredible. Reminds me of something that would be built in London, not Milwaukee. Just imagine if this gets built, along with the Ziggurat planned across 794--how impressive it would look from 794.

im diggin the tower, u could really put it anwhere downtown and it would look great
miltown no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1659
Robman2k

wow, where are all these awesome ideas coming from, if only half of them could come to light
Robman2k no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #1660
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1238

Water Street Tower

Thought the third ward had a height limitation? Why would there be a concept building of aprox 40+ stories?

Closed Thread