daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #1681
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
My friend, I agree that the lakefront is the single best natural asset we have.
But, the development area that I'm talking about would not hinder access to the lake at all.
However, people want a lake view. Naturally tall condo towers will be built overlooking the lake (or at least the river), rather than in the CBD.
Dr Dooms Love Child no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #1682
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Quote:
Nope Sorry, you don't quite get it. There is no real main cluster -- that's the point! The "impressive skyline density Milwaukee has" which you mention is a misnomer, and a contradictory statement when you talk about being "spread out."
no its not. Milwaukee's skyline is dense and spread out. The addition of towers in the Park East will just add to it.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #1683
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner64 View Post
Hey folks, new member here. Came across your forum looking for something else. I found the forum interesting and was happy to see so much going on in Milwaukee. I lived there for a few years but moved away in 1989 and now reside in the valley of the sun. Anyhow, here in the Phoenix metro we have similar issues: we have a very spread out skyline and it is also vertically challanged, even more so than Milwaukee. Phoenix is now a much larger metro area than Milwaukee and our tallest tower is 480 ft. Many here feel we need some more height.

Although our cities share these similarities, they have happened for different reasons. In Phoenix land WAS cheap, zoning was haphazard, and there was plenty of room to sprawl. Phoenix never developed as an urban center. We are more of a huge giant sprawling complex of suburbs. In Milwaukee the main deterent to height is the cost of construction. Downtown Milwaukee sits on the site of a former marshy area, bedrock is way down. Most high rises have to be built on friction piles stuck in the sediment rather than being built on bedrock. That is way more expensive. For that reason, I do not think Milwaukee will see any 50+ storey buildings anytime soon. Even so, if some of the new proposals get built it will fill in your skyline.
Welcome!

I am in the minority here--but I dont care that we cant get a 50 story tower. Yeah, I wont complain if we do--but I am not one of these people that dwell on heights. If I want to see a tall building...Ill hopefully take the Metra South to see the Chicago Spire in a few years.

Phoenix will probally become more urbanized as gas prices go up. Its only a matter of time before sprawl gets to a point where its too expensive.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #1684
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Ill shut my beak after this....but...

How can you people complain over this rendering? The glassy section makes it one of the better skyscraper proposals in the country. A building like that in Milwaukee would be breathtaking---with the bright blue glass next too all the red brick of the Third Ward.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #1685
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dooms Love Child View Post
daaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnn............ that is one shit hot proposal. can milwaukee really handle something that cool?

if not please send this one down to chicago pronto. we'll get it built.

Last edited by Steely Dan; June 15th, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
Steely Dan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #1686
MJinOshkosh

Likes (Received): 45

I think Milwaukee can handle a 50 story tower in the 650 to 800 foot height level. I think also that at this time there isn't a demand for such a tower as evidenced by some of the proposals that have been posted.
MJinOshkosh no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #1687
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

I can't remember if we've talked about this one so if not, here's another "Water Street Tower" proposal by Continuum Architects and Planners:

Milwaukee, WI
This proposed 20-story luxury apartment building is near the end of a popular pedestrian connection to the riverwalk. The property has a pedestrian access easement allowing for this connection to remain. The tower occupies an existing parking lot which serves tenants from two other low-rise office buildings.

In addition to parking, the new tower will house seventy-two apartments and nine townhomes, three of which include a first-floor retail or studio/shop area. The top two floors contain offices as well as a roof terrace. The primary objectives of this project are to celebrate not only the views of the water but also views towards downtown and the east side, as well as to wrap eight parking levels in a way that would disguise the parking look. The pedestrian access became a generator for a design that created two- and three-story buildings along the south side with retail on the first floor and residential above, which activated the connector link. This retail could be related to riverwalk activities or could be used as live/work artist studios.
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #1688
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

Mother****er that Water Street Tower is amazing. My mouth is agape just imagining it would be a part of Milwaukee of all places. Lamentably, this looks like more of a design excercise for the architects than anything else, so don't get yr hopes up.
CGII no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #1689
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
daaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnn............ that is one shit hot proposal. can milwaukee really handle something that cool?

if not please send this one down to chicago pronto. we'll get it built.
Take it. PLEASE! I'd hope Chicago doesn't stoop that low....
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #1690
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Mother****er that Water Street Tower is amazing. My mouth is agape just imagining it would be a part of Milwaukee of all places. Lamentably, this looks like more of a design excercise for the architects than anything else, so don't get yr hopes up.
Which one? MMs or the other one?
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #1691
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dooms Love Child View Post
no its not. Milwaukee's skyline is dense and spread out. The addition of towers in the Park East will just add to it.
I'm afraid I'm talking to a wall And I'm done wasting my time with you on this. Your explanation is silly.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #1692
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I'd hope Chicago doesn't stoop that low....
stoop? STOOP!?!

chicago would be friggin honored to be graced with the presence of such a vision in our city. i've even got the perfect spot for it right along the main branch of the river.

i hear what everyone is saying about this most likely just being an architectural flight of fancy, but jesus, if milwaukee could actually get something like that tower built, holy crap would it change opinions about milwaukee, both as a skyline and as a city.
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #1693
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
if milwaukee could actually get something like that tower built, holy crap would it change opinions about milwaukee, both as a skyline and as a city.
Agreed.. I really wish we had enough people in this city comfortable with pushing architectural boundaries (well that and the businesses to fill the buildings ). Milwaukee could achieve so much with a little vision for the future.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1694
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Agreed.. I really wish we had enough people in this city comfortable with pushing architectural boundaries (well that and the businesses to fill the buildings ). Milwaukee could achieve so much with a little vision for the future.
I agree that we should push the boundaries (see: Calatrava), but I just don't think that building would stand the test of time. I think the tower part is ok, but that shorter section between the tower and the existing building would be, in my opinion, an eyesore in about 10 years.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1695
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
I agree that we should push the boundaries (see: Calatrava), but I just don't think that building would stand the test of time. I think the tower part is ok, but that shorter section between the tower and the existing building would be, in my opinion, an eyesore in about 10 years.
It's an eyesore now. The tall, blue section is sleek and eye-catching all by itself. I like that part of it, and it would push Milwaukee's architectural envelope plenty all by itself. Get rid of the other two elements, then move that beauty someplace closer to the CBD...NOT where it's proposed.

Actually, I think all of this chatter about this "proposal" is pretty funny. The architects are probably getting a good laugh if they knew this was generating so much discussion. This could very well be a floated design as part of a project for a class grade. Can you say pipe dream?

(But just in case this thing really does move forward, IT NEEDS TO BE MOVED!)
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #1696
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

I don't know if anyone posted this yet. Its not interesting in itself but hould help to spur the redevelopment of about three blocks of N. Prospect Ave., which have been pretty dormant since the Prospect Mall closed. Hopefully we'll see some new building on the gas station, parking lot, and cleaners sites as a result of this. In retrospect, I'm starting to regret that the Milwaukee Connector project got shot down as it would have gone directly through here and could have positively impacted some of this development even if it was chaeply designed.

Here's the story:
Quote:
Urban Outfitters expected to draw more retail chains
Proximity to UWM makes site a hot spot
By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: June 14, 2007

When Lisa Trautner was considering locations for her new boutique, she heard rumors that Urban Outfitters was looking to open a store in the Kenilworth Building, on Milwaukee's east side.

That was one of the factors that led Trautner and her partners to open Ess Elle Style Studio at the Kenilworth Building in December.

The rumor turned out to be true: Philadelphia-based Urban Outfitters, which sells trendy clothes and home furnishings to people in their 20s and early 30s, will open its first Milwaukee-area store this fall at the southwest corner of N. Prospect Ave. and E. Kenilworth Place. The new store is expected to help attract other national retailers to the east side.

"It will bring some more traffic in from the suburbs," said Trautner, whose store sells affordable fashions to professional women. "Urban is a huge name. It will really help the street."

Kris Toeller, manager of Envy, a women's clothing boutique, at 2203 N. Farwell Ave., knows a lot of young women who drive to Madison to shop at Wisconsin's only Urban Outfitters store.

"Hopefully, this will bring them to our area," Toeller said. "The more foot traffic, the better."

Urban Outfitters has agreed to lease just more than 12,000 square feet at the Kenilworth Building, said Scott Weas, of Weas Development Co., which redeveloped the property. The building, south of E. Kenilworth Place between N. Farwell and N. Prospect avenues, was converted last year from a warehouse into apartments and classroom space for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, as well as retail space.
The Whole Foods effect

Urban Outfitters, which had considered locations on the east side for more than two years, was attracted to the Kenilworth Building in part because of other retailers in the neighborhood, said Lorraine Adney, a real estate broker with McDevitt Co., which represented Urban Outfitters in lease negotiations.

"We loved the fact that Whole Foods was open and drawing people from all over the Milwaukee area," Adney said. "The Urban customer is a Whole Foods customer."

Whole Foods opened a supermarket in September at 2305 N. Prospect Ave., one block north of the future Urban Outfitters.

Urban Outfitters executives also were impressed with the strength of other neighborhood businesses, including the Oriental Theatre and Alterra Coffee, Adney said.

Another factor is the Kenilworth Building's closeness to UWM, Adney said. College students make up a large share of the retailer's customer base, she said.

The building is about one mile south of UWM's main campus.

Also, the building was redeveloped last fall into the 174-unit Kenilworth Square Apartments, with housing for up to 374 UWM students, and as a large auxiliary facility for UWM's Peck School of the Arts.
Magnets for other stores

Whole Foods, the chain's first store in the Milwaukee area, along with Urban Outfitters will help draw other national retailers to the neighborhood, said Weas, the developer.

Those national chains are attracted by the surrounding neighborhood's density and large number of affluent households, said Jim Plaisted, executive director of the East Side Business Improvement District. The district is centered on E. North Ave., N. Prospect Ave. and N. Farwell Ave.

But it's not just about the national retailers, Plaisted said.

Retail anchors such as Urban Outfitters and Whole Foods help draw more shoppers to the neighborhood, which benefits small, local retailers, he said.

The Kenilworth Building has about 8,000 square feet of retail space still available. Along with Ess Elle and Urban Outfitters, the building's retailers include Anytime Fitness, a national fitness center chain.

Another prime retail location is the former Prospect Mall, which was sold in 2004 to real estate investors led by Milwaukee development firm BoulderVenture Inc. The building has about 42,000 square feet.

The Urban Outfitters announcement "further supports that the North & Prospect neighborhood is one of the hottest trade areas in the metro area," said Robert Schmidt, Boulder Venture president, in a written statement. He declined to comment about his plans for the former Prospect Mall.

The area's retail prospects also will be improved by the expansion of Columbia St. Mary's Lake Drive campus, and the development of the 291-unit Park Lafayette condominium towers, east of N. Prospect Ave. and north of E. Lafayette Ave., Plaisted said.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #1697
khilani003

This is definitely not a "class project" as someone suggested. Gastrau Furer are real architects with an office (which has been very quiet) here in Milwaukee and another one in Switzerland, where they do most (all) of their work. They had a proposal for a project 6 or 7 years ago called River Tower, which fell apart due to financing (not enough presales and the the main investor dropped out).

Also, just a practical comment, that I can't imagine any self-respecting architect picking up a design and moving it, or slashing off a part of if either. Buildings aren't designed ala carte for people to pick and choose components, at least not ones that are designed well.

I've contacted Whitney Gould (who had never heard of it) and Tom Daykin (who is calling David Gastrau about it). So hopefully we'll get more news.

Incidentally, the other Water Street Tower is along Water just at it bends before becoming Brady. Just behind the warehouse there. Ogden Reality approached several firms about this project.
khilani003 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #1698
brewcityfan

Another airline at Mitchell International??

Quote:
Virgin America cleared for takeoff; considers Mitchell International
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - May 25, 2007by Rich Rovito

Virgin America Inc. finally is cleared for takeoff and Milwaukee is among the cities on the low-cost airline's radar screen.

After almost a year-and-a-half of regulatory battles, the startup airline backed by British billionaire Richard Branson got its operating license May 18 from the U.S. Department of Transportation. The Burlingame, Calif.-based airline plans to start carrying passengers by mid-summer.

Virgin America said its first route will be between San Francisco and New York City with service to Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas to follow within the first nine months of operation.

Milwaukee is among 30 cities that the airline is targeting over the next year to five years.

"We've certainly talked," said Barry Bateman, director of Milwaukee's General Mitchell International Airport. "This is in its infancy so we don't see anything happening for quite some time."

Bateman said there's space available at Mitchell for additional airlines, including Virgin America.

"We could shoehorn them in," he said.

No launch date yet
The airline isn't prepared to say whether it has set a target date for launching service to and from Milwaukee, said Virgin America spokesman Gareth Edmondson-Jones.

"We'll be announcing markets as tickets go on sale," he said.

The list of 30 cities targeted by Virgin America for future service was developed based on several criteria, Edmondson-Jones said.

"Generally, these are underserved markets," he said.

Virgin America also plans to launch service to cities where consumers are faced with high airfares mainly as a result of a lack of competition, Edmondson-Jones said.

Underserved travelers and high fares have been used as arguments by AirTran Holdings Inc., Orlando, Fla., as to why shareholders and the Milwaukee community at large should support AirTran's attempted takeover of Midwest Air Group Inc., Oak Creek, operator of Midwest Airlines.

A low-cost carrier such as Virgin America, whose base of operations will be San Francisco International Airport, would provide travelers in the targeted cities with more competitive airfares, Edmondson-Jones said.

Virgin America plans to offer low-cost flights like Dallas-based Southwest Airlines Co. and JetBlue Airways Corp., Forest Hills, N.Y.

"It's a very competitive industry," said Carol Skornicka, spokeswoman for Midwest Airlines, which has the dominant market share at Mitchell. "Competition comes and goes and in the 23 years we've been in business we've always been able to compete in the marketplace."

Virgin America's licensing caps one of the most contested U.S. airlines applications ever. Rival airlines opposed Virgin America's application for more than 16 months. They questioned whether Virgin America was controlled by American citizens, as required by law, or by Branson, whose London-based Virgin Group Ltd. owns 25 percent of the airline. The remainder is owned by U.S. private equity firms Black Canyon Capital and Cyrus Capital Partners.

The San Francisco Business Times, a sister publication of The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee, contributed to this report.
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #1699
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

skyking> ummm that building is proposed like a block from the CBD!
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #1700
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm talking to a wall And I'm done wasting my time with you on this. Your explanation is silly.
Whats silly about it? A skyline is more than 50 story towers. Its a continuation of tall buildings that can be even less than 10 stories. Milwaukee has a dense skyline from many angles. Have you even been on the high rise or Hoan Bridge?

Closed Thread