daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 17th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #1701
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
stoop? STOOP!?!

chicago would be friggin honored to be graced with the presence of such a vision in our city. i've even got the perfect spot for it right along the main branch of the river.

i hear what everyone is saying about this most likely just being an architectural flight of fancy, but jesus, if milwaukee could actually get something like that tower built, holy crap would it change opinions about milwaukee, both as a skyline and as a city.
Im sure John Hancock looked ridicolous if someone showed Chicago architecture and urban planning freaks a rendering back in the day. Or Marina City Towers, Lake Point, and some of the other unique Chicago towers.

This tower is a breath of fresh air from the Breakwaters and Park Lafayettes that could be built instead. Its unique and would actually look cool in the skyline--breaking up the heavy earth tones and whites of our tall buildings.
Dr Dooms Love Child no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1702
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

The Water Street Tower - I translated the page and Water Street Tower came up in their "Projects in Treatment" section which maybe means it's serious? There may be something lost in translation.... I hope it's seriuos
miltown no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #1703
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
skyking> ummm that building is proposed like a block from the CBD!
Ummm, that's a dumb-ass location for this size building. It might as well be at 35th & Wisconsin.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #1704
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dooms Love Child View Post
Whats silly about it? A skyline is more than 50 story towers. Its a continuation of tall buildings that can be even less than 10 stories. Milwaukee has a dense skyline from many angles. Have you even been on the high rise or Hoan Bridge?
Oh, once or twice -- or a hundred times. You may have a difficult time digesting this, but I think the view of downtown driving north on the Hoan Bridge is one of the worst. It is totally dominated by the US Bank Building and reinforces what someone said about Milwaukee's skyline years ago (and it still holds true in 2007!!!): looks like Milwaukee is giving the finger with its one tall building.
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #1705
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Oh, once or twice -- or a hundred times. You may have a difficult time digesting this, but I think the view of downtown driving north on the Hoan Bridge is one of the worst. It is totally dominated by the US Bank Building and reinforces what someone said about Milwaukee's skyline years ago (and it still holds true in 2007!!!): looks like Milwaukee is giving the finger with its one tall building.
the worst?

The city looks huge from the Hoan Bridge---with a long expanse of towers from the Landmark dominated cluster to the ones in Western downtown. Not to mention the density of the Third Ward and the beauty of the Lakefront/Calatrava. Your nuts!
Dr Dooms Love Child no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #1706
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

But yeah I'd probably agree about the Hoan view. You can actually SEE every building in downtown Milwaukee without actually having to turn your head. I also add that in that view, there are no landmark Milwaukee buildings hidden from view, unlike the lakefront shot where 100 E Wisconsin is usually blocked, as well as the Milwaukee Center.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; June 20th, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #1707
brewcityfan

Well having a Sim City Milwaukee wouldn't be bad...but it also wouldn't be realistic. Milwaukee can be a great city with a ton of mid-sized buildings (20-40 stories), and a few taller ones. But I cannot see a 90-story plopping down here.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; June 20th, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #1708
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Hey, I had no clue the Harley-Davidson Museum was going up so quickly. They had their topping off ceremony over a month ago. There are plenty of photos and a video on their site:
www.h-dmuseum.com

And here's the OxBlue Cam:
www.h-dmuseum.oxblue.com

Also, the new Lakeshore State Park is having it's grand opening tomorrow at 2:30. Here's a link to the Whitney Gould article about it:
www.jsonline.com

PS-Does it bother anyone else the the parking meters at Bayshore have a typo on them?
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #1709
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

The view from the Hoan is terrible. I'm completely with skyking on this one. US Bank's fat side is pretty much all you focus on.. not to mention the fact that you're elevated so the skyline looks insanely short.

A FAR better view is from atop Brewers Hill. A picture from my friend:

image hosted on flickr

And again, a much better view from the breakwater... (picture by me):

image hosted on flickr

Compared to the view from the Hoan... (picture by this person)

image hosted on flickr
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #1710
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

my favorite view is from the mckinley exit coming into the city
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #1711
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
The view from the Hoan is terrible. I'm completely with skyking on this one. US Bank's fat side is pretty much all you focus on.. not to mention the fact that you're elevated so the skyline looks insanely short.
Thank you. Your explanation is pretty darn good. If the skyline was more condensed (with another 500-footer or two), I think the view from the Hoan could be pretty damn sweet. But, as it is, the USB really commands too much attention. It stands out like a sore thumb, unfortunately. While I also like the view from Brewer's Hill, like Exit, I like the view from McKinley best.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #1712
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Compared to the view from the Hoan... (picture by this person)
Well thats the worst possible picture location from the Hoan. Try several more hundred feet over the hump and on the way down. I'd love to be able to get out and snap a shot from the side of the road at dusk when everything is lit up. I'm with the Hoan camp
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #1713
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
Well thats the worst possible picture location from the Hoan. Try several more hundred feet over the hump and on the way down. I'd love to be able to get out and snap a shot from the side of the road at dusk when everything is lit up. I'm with the Hoan camp
I agree. If one could stop or walk across the bridge, as opposed to viewing things through a windshield, I think there would be more appreciation. US Bank sure is one monster behemoth though.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1714
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
lol. I know it's a terrible photograph but hey, it's still the view from the Hoan.
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1715
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

I personally like the view from the Hoan once you get over the hump and start coming down. All of a sudden milwaukee hits you and the US bank building does dominate but its still kind of a cool experience. Maybe not the best picture wise but driving at the city going 85mph is sweet.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1716
brewcityfan

Quote:
lol. I know it's a terrible photograph but hey, it's still the view from the Hoan.
Oh c'mon you're not getting outta it that easily. I'd hope SOMEBODY has a better picture than that one..... I think your friend was more focused on the bridge than the skyline....
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #1717
looksee

Likes (Received): 104

FRAME UP!

I"VE BEEN

image hosted on flickr

FRAMED!

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1718
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

exactly.

terrible.
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1719
looksee

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
exactly.

terrible.
You keep misspelling terrific.
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #1720
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
You keep misspelling terrific.
Amen!!!!

Now if that was a pano shot it would have looked even MORE terrific!

Closed Thread