daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:15 AM   #1761
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Don't forget recent Republican Annette Ziegler who just won in an election. This whole point of Democrats controlling the S.C. is just ridiculous at best.
ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE MOST BORING POLITICAL EXCHANGE I'VE EVER STOMACHED!!

Thank you.
Skyking2 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:19 AM   #1762
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Needed to show this - a picture from the Hoan on the Milwaukee Photo Thread:

That's a lot better than what we've jokingly seen previously.
Nice pic, but it just further proves my point: Milwaukee's skyline is absolutely one-dimensional from this view -- it's the USB, USB, USB...oh, and some other really smallish-looking buildings. Sorry, but the USB is just too dominating in this view.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #1763
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE MOST BORING POLITICAL EXCHANGE I'VE EVER STOMACHED!!

Thank you.
Ahem, I was responding to Mike's post about the Supreme Court. Thank you!
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM   #1764
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Ahem, I was responding to Mike's post about the Supreme Court. Thank you!
Chill Brew. I didn't mean to rap you specifically...I just happened to pull your post.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1765
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Take the picture closer to the Michigan Street/lakefront exit and aim the camera lense north along the coast.

Last edited by historybuffer; June 22nd, 2007 at 04:54 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1766
NeuBrew

To me, the Hoan view isn't so much about a static shot as it is about the driving experience of coming over the bridge and having the city appear suddenly. You get such a wonderful view of the main landmarks from that drive, and if you continue up the lakefront it's even nicer. I'd have to imagine that visitors coming from the airport up that route would have a greater appreciation for the city than those coming over the high-rise bridge.
NeuBrew no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #1767
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Precisely.
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #1768
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuBrew View Post
To me, the Hoan view isn't so much about a static shot as it is about the driving experience of coming over the bridge and having the city appear suddenly. You get such a wonderful view of the main landmarks from that drive, and if you continue up the lakefront it's even nicer. I'd have to imagine that visitors coming from the airport up that route would have a greater appreciation for the city than those coming over the high-rise bridge.
especially when they see the salt piles and waste treatment plant.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1769
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Question about the high-rise bridge...Why was it built to be so, well, "high"? I would think it has something to do with the waterway in the valley??? What is the need for so much clearance in that area?
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM   #1770
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

yes, it was so certain-sized boats could get further into the valley. probably doesn't need to be re-built that high, oh well.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM   #1771
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
especially when they see the salt piles and waste treatment plant.
Now they shouldn't even be looking away from the road to start off with! Downtown Milwaukee is in their range of vision while driving. They can drive and stare at the same time.

The only thing I know of that would tell me the waste treatment plant is there is the horrible smell at times - reminds me of Gary.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM   #1772
djcody

I honestly don't care for the Hoan bridge view... shows too many gaps. But i really like the view from :

1. the lake
2. coming down (heading east) the McKinley exit from 94 (old park east freeway)* my fav
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1773
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Pretty good report on Milwaukee homicides here: http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/displa...ressReport.pdf

Some interesting graphs and stats.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1774
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
Pretty good report on Milwaukee homicides here: http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/displa...ressReport.pdf

Some interesting graphs and stats.
Well, I'm glad they put some glamour into the pdf! They make it look like it's a good thing or something.....lol

I also find it sad that we have our own homicide commission. Are we the only ones?
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:06 AM   #1775
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Postal Service may acquire 440th base
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - June 22, 2007
by Pete Millard

The U.S. Postal Service is negotiating to obtain 50 acres to build a 700,000-square-foot regional processing center at the former base of the 440th Air Force Reserve Airlift Wing in Milwaukee.

The Postal Service is not the only suitor for the prime Air Force property, which is south of General Mitchell International Airport. The airport needs 50 acres to build a new east-west runway that has been part of its master plan since 1993, said Barry Bateman, airport director.

Even though the Postal Service has a five-year lease remaining on its downtown facility at 345 W. St. Paul Ave. and options to extend the lease an additional 15 years, the agency needs to construct a regional processing center to incorporate new sorting equipment, said Gail Stollenwerk, a Washington, D.C.-based real estate manager for the Postal Service.

"It's an ideal location because it's close to the airport and Interstate 94," she said.

The new mail-sorting equipment that the Postal Service will employ requires more than a half-dozen sections of 30,000 square feet that can't be accommodated in the existing building, said Robert Gintoft, a senior vice president for NAI MLG Commercial, Brookfield, who is the Postal Service's consultant on its relocation project.

"They need a new building that can be designed around the equipment," he said.

The Postal Service is working with the Milwaukee Department of City Development to relocate its processing center in the city.

"Our primary goal is to keep those jobs in Milwaukee," said Rocky Marcoux, commissioner for the department.

If the Postal Service finds a new location for its regional processing center, the existing building could be demolished and developed into housing, retail and office space, said Marcoux.

"If we can keep the Postal Service jobs in Milwaukee, redeveloping the old post office property is a bonus," he said.

The 440th Airlift Wing's 102-acre Milwaukee base southwest of the airport on College Avenue was placed on the U.S. Department of Defense list of base closings two years ago. The 1,400-member Air Force unit has relocated to Pope Air Force Base in North Carolina.

The DOD's Base Realignment and Closure Commission set up a Local Redevelopment Authority in August 2006 to find a suitable tenant or buyer for the 440th Airlift Wing's property. The authority comprises two city and two county officials and is chaired by Jeff Polenske, Milwaukee's chief engineer.

Polenske could not be reached for comment to discuss the Postal Service's proposal or other possible suitors for the former Air Force base.

The Local Redevelopment Authority may acquire all or parts of the base under a federal Economic Development Conveyance if there is an opportunity to create jobs by redeveloping the property, said a spokeswoman for the authority. The authority may pay fair market for the property or may qualify for a 100 percent discount on the sale price. The authority also can lease or sell property to developers or other users.

The authority has hired RKG & Associates, Durham, N.H., to complete a market study and reuse plan for the base. RKG was paid $175,000 to do the study before the end of 2007.
Other sites

If the authority decides the best use for the base is for the land to go to the airport or some other user, the Postal Service has several other potential sites outside Milwaukee that are suitable, said Gintoft.

The Postal Service is discussing development possibilities with Opus North Corp., Milwaukee, about a 50-acre site on the northwest corner of South Howell Avenue and West Oakwood Road in Oak Creek. Another site in Oak Creek and two in Racine are still under consideration, said Gintoft.

In the meantime, the 940,000-square-foot building on St. Paul Avenue that houses the Postal Service's regional processing center was sold for $16 million at the end of May. The sale does not affect the Postal Service's decision to find a new location, said Stollenwerk.

The buyer of the 9 acres on the north bank of the Menomonee River across from the new Harley-Davidson Inc. museum and office development is an investor group called Menomonee RP. The 40-year-old postal center was sold by a group of three owners -- an investment group called Glenora Co., which is owned by members of the Uihlein family who received $9.28 million; 350 St. Paul L.L.C., which received $5.44 million; and the Robert E. Thurner Family Trust, which received $1.28 million.

Zilber already trying to expand The Brewery project
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - June 22, 2007
by Pete Millard

Zilber Ltd. is just beginning the redevelopment of the former Pabst Brewing Co. complex in downtown Milwaukee and already is planning to expand the 21-acre project.

The Milwaukee development firm hopes to acquire two, 1-acre parcels on the northwest and northeast borders of the complex owned by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to add to its $205 million development, known as The Brewery.
miltown no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM   #1776
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4379

great news

I sure hope it doesn't take another five years before they can blow up that monstrosity.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:10 PM   #1777
brewcityfan

Concerning the post office - I'm not a fan of where it's going to be located. Milwaukee needs another runway at Mitchell to handle planes and increase traffic. That to me is a bigger issue and should take precedent over what the post office wants.

It all comes down to the post office locating anywhere in the area, whereas the new runway could not.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM   #1778
milwaukee-københavn

It seems like they ought to put the post office to the west of Howell. It has better access to freight lines and the freeway but isn't in the way of any Mitchell Airfield expansion. Better yet, they could build an impressive and beautiful post office in a prominent location downtown like they used to...

That was one jazzy Homicide report. No photographs, though.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1779
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

it does say the 440th is a 102 acre property, so maybe they could work out an expansion of the airport and moving the processing center down there?...
miltown no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1780
historybuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Nice pic, but it just further proves my point: Milwaukee's skyline is absolutely one-dimensional from this view -- it's the USB, USB, USB...oh, and some other really smallish-looking buildings. Sorry, but the USB is just too dominating in this view.
The very same outcry with another Great Lakes city, Buffalo, NY skyline here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=486543

Quote from Buffalo thread: "God I hate HSBC Tower. I hate the way it's off to one side of downtown throwing the entire skyline out of balance. I hate how it's faced in that awful 1970s concrete with sunken windows. I hate how its proportions are blocky but not square. I hate hate hate hate it. "

And Buffalo even has "modern" street cars despite losing half of its' city population from 1960 (532,759) to 2007 (279,745) mentioned in a Toronto Star article.

Last edited by historybuffer; June 23rd, 2007 at 10:18 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  

Closed Thread