daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1821
The anti-cheesehead

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
"Chicago's Third Airport"

"Avoid the ORDeal...fly MKE"

"Sick of O'Hare...fly MKE" (printed on promotional air sickness bags)

It's a marketing campaign, an advertising slogan, not any type of actual airport traffic ranking or anything like that. It targets people who live in Northern Illinois/northern Chicagoland to fly out of Mitchell as an alternative of flying out of O'Hare or Midway, which can be busier, more expensive, more of a hassle, less convenient. It's a promotional effort that has worked out quite well, as many Northern Chicagolanders do indeed come here to fly out of Mitchell.

The point of people coming in from other parts of the US using Mitchell as a gateway to Chicago (versus using other airports in the Chicago area) is kind of moot, since that's not the segment of air traveling public the promotion is aimed at (though technically, it is entirely possible for someone to do that if they really wanted to).
That's exactly what I was thinking, it's a marketing campaign, and the slogan "Chicago's third airport" seems somewhat patronizing considering it's Milwaukee's airport first and foremost. Did the slogan originate in Milwaukee or Chicago? What's next, changing the name from "Milwaukee" to "north Chicagoland"? The slogans "Avoid the ORDeal...fly MKE" and "Sick of O'Hare...fly MKE" are better and make more sense. It's Milwaukee's airport, and Chicagoans are more than welcome to use it.

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1822
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking, it's a marketing campaign, and the slogan "Chicago's third airport" seems somewhat patronizing considering it's Milwaukee's airport first and foremost. Did the slogan originate in Milwaukee or Chicago? What's next, changing the name from "Milwaukee" to "north Chicagoland"? The slogans "Avoid the ORDeal...fly MKE" and "Sick of O'Hare...fly MKE" are better and make more sense. It's Milwaukee's airport, and Chicagoans are more than welcome to use it.
Is there something seriously going on here? I mean, for a guy from Minneapolis, you're really having an issue with Milwaukeeians touting their airport, Mitchell International, as "Chicago's 3rd Airport." While yes it is partially a marketing campaign measure, as Markitect states - it's clearly working. As Tomkel states, several hundred thousand residents in Chicagoland live closer to Milwaukee's Mitchell then Chicago's airports. Also, if you think about this a little deeper - if cheaper airlines do enter the Mitchell market (DISCLAIMER: I STILL HATE AIRTRAN) they might be able to in fact lure northern Illinois residents, since Mitchell to them is definitely closer than Midway on the southern end of Chicagoland. That's why other airlines, like Virgin America, have already expressed interest in getting spots at Mitchell. That's why AirTran wants Midwest.

Anywho, once again I just don't see why you're so hell-bent on making Milwaukeeians and Mitchell Int'l look unimpressive with their remarks and campaigns. Mitchell is Milwaukee's airport, and Milwaukeeians have already said clearly that we're open to have it dubbed as part of Chicago's regional airport network.

I mean, look at Rockford and it's desperate attempts to take the title away from Mitchell. Having the Chicago name associated with the airport is a big boost to the area.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #1823
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Anywho, once again I just don't see why you're so hell-bent on making Milwaukeeians and Mitchell Int'l look unimpressive with their remarks and campaigns. Mitchell is Milwaukee's airport, and Milwaukeeians have already said clearly that we're open to have it dubbed as part of Chicago's regional airport network.

I mean, look at Rockford and it's desperate attempts to take the title away from Mitchell. Having the Chicago name associated with the airport is a big boost to the area.
I'm not "hell-bent on making Milwaukeeians and Mitchell Int'l look unimpressive".

If I lived in Milwaukee, and I heard someone from Chicago refer to MILWAUKEE's airport as "Chicago's third airport", I'd correct them. The airport doesn't belong to Chicago, and it's not "unimpressive" without the name Chicago being associated with it.

At the same time, I completely understand why Mitchell would want to tap into the Chicagoland market. People have explained it in this thread, and it makes total sense.
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #1824
brewcityfan

Quote:

At the same time, I completely understand why Mitchell would want to tap into the Chicagoland market. People have explained it in this thread, and it makes total sense.
Thank you.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #1825
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

Should people be corrected if someone refers to BWI as Washington's thrid airport (though, admittedly, it does have Washington in the name), when clearly it's closer to Baltimore than it is Washington? Seems to me that if it helps bring more traffic/options/competition through Mitchell then this is a good thing for Milwaukee and people should be encouraging the claim as "Chicago's third airport" instead of discouraging it.
Danillo no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1826
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danillo View Post
Should people be corrected if someone refers to BWI as Washington's thrid airport (though, admittedly, it does have Washington in the name), when clearly it's closer to Baltimore than it is Washington? Seems to me that if it helps bring more traffic/options/competition through Mitchell then this is a good thing for Milwaukee and people should be encouraging the claim as "Chicago's third airport" instead of discouraging it.
Precisely! I don't find many Milwaukeeians who frown over being dubbed "Chicago's 3rd Airport."

I mean, if we were so Milwaukeeish at Mitchell, then nobody would have complained when Walker and some business/art leaders proposed that big massive blue shirt on the parking structure!
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1827
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Speaking of State Parks...what the hell are they trying to push off on us as a "State Park" on that barren island off Summerfest?!! Are you kidding me?
Yeah, we sure got our money's worth for $17 million. No trees? No benches?
Sorry, it's got potential, but it is the sorriest excuse for a park I've ever seen.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #1828
nic158

Likes (Received): 0

Why do people on this board have to get defensive and jump all over anti-cheesehead for wondering why people on this board are calling mitchell international chicago's 3rd airport? I was wondering the same thing, i sure as hell don't call mitchell Chicago's 3rd airport. It's a clever marketing campaign more than it is reality. What's next, the "Chicago Brewers of Milwaukee?"
nic158 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #1829
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Speaking of State Parks...what the hell are they trying to push off on us as a "State Park" on that barren island off Summerfest?!! Are you kidding me?
Sorry, it's got potential, but it is the sorriest excuse for a park I've ever seen.
Agreed. I think Summerfest should have been allowed to use that parcel for another grand stage. It would have been the size of the Marcus, if not bigger, and probably would have attracted bigger acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic158 View Post
Why do people on this board have to get defensive and jump all over anti-cheesehead for wondering why people on this board are calling mitchell international chicago's 3rd airport? I was wondering the same thing, i sure as hell don't call mitchell Chicago's 3rd airport. It's a clever marketing campaign more than it is reality. What's next, the "Chicago Brewers of Milwaukee?"
I wouldn't say it was "defensive" more-so than just flat out curious as to why we're having the discussion. Might I add that Chicagoans already call Miller Park "Wrigley North."

I think there are some things that Milwaukee needs to connect to Chicago with, like economics and stats, and some things Milwaukee can be self-reliant on, like sports, festivals, and culture.

Not a big deal!
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #1830
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

RIVIANNA CHANGES

Bob Schultz, who wants to build a mixed-use condominium, hotel and retail space development called Rivianna along the Milwaukee River just south of the Third Ward, is making changes to the project to address the concerns of neighbors. Rivianna will still feature three towers each 16 stories high. However, the base of the development will be three stories high instead of five, which will allow more sunlight to pass through. To address noise concerns, Schultz has dropped plans for a helipad and a waterfall.

He has also reduced the number of condos planned for the building from 220 to 165 and reduced the size of the hotel from 81 rooms to 60. It will be an independent boutique hotel with a contemporary style, Schultz said. In addition, more of the parking will be underground. Last night Schultz hosted a community meeting about the project. He is hoping to obtain city approval for the project in July. The Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee will review the latest plans on July 3, Schultz said.

Schultz wants to get the project started by the end of the year, but delays in gaining approval will likely push the start of construction back to early 2008, he said. Construction delays will result in higher material costs and will reduce the community benefits that will be included for the project which will include affordable housing units, union labor and minority workers, Schultz said. "I'd like to do more (community benefits) not less," he said. "That's one thing I'm particularly proud of. I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do to uplift the broader community when you do projects."

Schultz is not seeking tax incremental financing (TIF) for the project. He says he does "not necessarily" need to sell several condos before obtaining financing for the project. "I have a number of debt and equity sources lined up," he said. Schultz was a co-developer in the redevelopment of the former Teweles Seed Co. building at 222 S. Third St., Milwaukee, into housing and is a co-developer in the 80-unit River Renaissance condominium development that is under construction at Water and Erie streets in the Third Ward.
miltown no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #1831
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic158 View Post
it's just a marketing tool, no one is saying that the airport name should be changed to include chicago in it. If we can get northern Chicago to think of it as an option, how is that bad?

Besides, it probably is the 3rd most used airport by people from chicagoland, just do to the fact that there isn't another airport with more non-stop flights to most major cities any closer. So technically, you could call Mitchell "Chicago's Third Airport", just like you could call Midway "Milwaukee's Third Airport"
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #1832
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
it's just a marketing tool, no one is saying that the airport name should be changed to include chicago in it. If we can get northern Chicago to think of it as an option, how is that bad?
Now that you mention changing the name to include to Chicago, why not?

It has been said in this thread that there are parties actively marketing Mitchell airport as an alternative to Chicago airports. Wouldn't changing the name to include Chicago get more people and businesses to think of the airport as an airport that serves the Chicago area?

Mitchell has also been compared to Baltimore-Washinton Intl' and as noted, Baltimore's airport has "Washington" in it's name. It wasn't always BWI.

Why not call it Milwaukee-Chicago International at Mitchell field, serving the Milwaukee-Chicago area?
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #1833
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Likes (Received): 507

MKE

As a Northern Illinois resident, I use MKE often. I see billboards in both Lake and McHenry Counties as well as an occasional sign on I-90 through northern Cook county. I once saw one in Marengo if you can believe that !?! Marengo is at least 100 miles away from MKE is southwest McHenry County. The combined population of Lake (750k) and McHenry (350k) counties is 1.1 million. This is probably the realistic reach of Mitchell. Added to the 1.9 million or so in the MKE CMSA, this puts the total market around 3.0 million. Not bad.

I agree with other posters that it is unlikely for someone to fly into Mitchell to go to the Loop, but the Loop does not a Chicago make. There is a tremendous business presence in Lake County (Abbott, Takeda, Walgreens, CDW, Hospira, Hewitt, Baxter, Northwestern University, etc...) that can and does leverage Mitchell. Try to drive from Evanston to O'Hare sometime...not a treat.

I'm always amazed at the number of Illinois license plates at Mitchell ~15-20% of the total. I'd like to know the contribution these drivers make to the long term parking revenue.

Finally, recently, I've flown United many times out of O'Hare and forgot what "service" is. 2 weeks ago, my family (3 kids and wife) flew Saver Service on Midwest to LA. Whoa!!!! Huge difference. There was at least 4 more inches of legroom, 1 more inch of hip room, cookies, good snacks and we left on time and arrived on time. United sux big time. On United, we were late on every leg of my trips to San Diego, LA, Orange County, and Ft. Lauderdale. I flew 1 month ago to Costa Rica via Atlanta on Delta. Again it sucked... 3 hours late coming home. I'd drive an additional 100 miles to fly Midwest. I haven't decided what I'd do about Air Tran though.
Crankbaiter no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #1834
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post

Besides, it probably is the 3rd most used airport by people from chicagoland, just do to the fact that there isn't another airport with more non-stop flights to most major cities any closer. So technically, you could call Mitchell "Chicago's Third Airport", just like you could call Midway "Milwaukee's Third Airport"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbaiter View Post
As a Northern Illinois resident, I use MKE often. I see billboards in both Lake and McHenry Counties as well as an occasional sign on I-90 through northern Cook county. I once saw one in Marengo if you can believe that !?! Marengo is at least 100 miles away from MKE is southwest McHenry County. The combined population of Lake (750k) and McHenry (350k) counties is 1.1 million. This is probably the realistic reach of Mitchell. Added to the 1.9 million or so in the MKE CMSA, this puts the total market around 3.0 million. Not bad.

I agree with other posters that it is unlikely for someone to fly into Mitchell to go to the Loop, but the Loop does not a Chicago make. There is a tremendous business presence in Lake County (Abbott, Takeda, Walgreens, CDW, Hospira, Hewitt, Baxter, Northwestern University, etc...) that can and does leverage Mitchell. Try to drive from Evanston to O'Hare sometime...not a treat.

I'm always amazed at the number of Illinois license plates at Mitchell ~15-20% of the total. I'd like to know the contribution these drivers make to the long term parking revenue.

Finally, recently, I've flown United many times out of O'Hare and forgot what "service" is. 2 weeks ago, my family (3 kids and wife) flew Saver Service on Midwest to LA. Whoa!!!! Huge difference. There was at least 4 more inches of legroom, 1 more inch of hip room, cookies, good snacks and we left on time and arrived on time. United sux big time. On United, we were late on every leg of my trips to San Diego, LA, Orange County, and Ft. Lauderdale. I flew 1 month ago to Costa Rica via Atlanta on Delta. Again it sucked... 3 hours late coming home. I'd drive an additional 100 miles to fly Midwest. I haven't decided what I'd do about Air Tran though.
Both good points, and reasons why it's NOT a big deal for Milwaukeeians (and some Chicagoans) to call Mitchell Chicago's 3rd Airport. I think folks like anti-cheese (in this instance) and NLouisanaJay are taking things over the edge. So what I say? Mitchell being dubbed as it is doesn't mean we need to change every Milwaukee institution into a Milwaukee-Chicago name. Calm down fellas, calm down.

Also, the HSBC Northern HQ next to CDW doesn't look bad either.

Quote:
Now that you mention changing the name to include to Chicago, why not?

It has been said in this thread that there are parties actively marketing Mitchell airport as an alternative to Chicago airports. Wouldn't changing the name to include Chicago get more people and businesses to think of the airport as an airport that serves the Chicago area?

Mitchell has also been compared to Baltimore-Washinton Intl' and as noted, Baltimore's airport has "Washington" in it's name. It wasn't always BWI.

Why not call it Milwaukee-Chicago International at Mitchell field, serving the Milwaukee-Chicago area?
No need to change the name. Chicagoans and companies already know it's there. The Chicago-Rockford airport isn't doing that spectacular.
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #1835
tomkel

Maybe they should change the name of the Twin Cities airport to something like 'Half StPaul's/Half Minneapolis' Airport'.
tomkel no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #1836
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
It's not done.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #1837
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkel View Post
Maybe they should change the name of the Twin Cities airport to something like 'Half StPaul's/Half Minneapolis' Airport'.
Let's not criticize our Minneapolis friend. He had a good question and some good points.
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #1838
tomkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Let's not criticize our Minneapolis friend. He had a good question and some good points.
Just playing around . I think Mitchell International works just fine.

Last edited by tomkel; June 28th, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
tomkel no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #1839
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

I've always thought it would be more accurate to call MSP "Eau Claire's Second Airport"
Jai no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1840
tomkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
I've always thought it would be more accurate to call MSP "Eau Claire's Second Airport"
"Bismarck's Third Airport (Fargo's Second)"
tomkel no está en línea  

Closed Thread