daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #1841
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
It's not done.
(In referance to Lakeshore State Park)

I'm pretty sure Whitney Gould said in her article that they aren't planning on putting trees in because the soil isn't thick enough the root trees. Which I completely don't understand because if you saw it during construction you'd know they sure put a hell of a lot of extra dirt on it.

I'm a bit disappointed also.
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.
ajknee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #1842
NeuBrew

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah, they are going to go with a natural habitat of prairie grasses and such. Urban island parks are rather rare, so I think its a winner just for the boat launches. Can't wait to see what it looks like next year when things root.

Not everything needs to look like Central Park.
NeuBrew no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1843
tomkel

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
(In referance to Lakeshore State Park)

I'm pretty sure Whitney Gould said in her article that they aren't planning on putting trees in because the soil isn't thick enough the root trees. Which I completely don't understand because if you saw it during construction you'd know they sure put a hell of a lot of extra dirt on it.

I'm a bit disappointed also.
I was in Milwaukee last weekend for my parents anniversary. Stopped to take a look at the park. It does have somewhat of an appeal in it's treeless state. Makes an impression. What other plans are there for the park? Any sculptures, landscaping? Is it going to have a special use purpose? If not, I can see it as a peaceful place to enjoy the lake, meditate, read, picnic, whatever.
tomkel no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #1844
tomkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuBrew View Post
Yeah, they are going to go with a natural habitat of prairie grasses and such. Urban island parks are rather rare, so I think its a winner just for the boat launches. Can't wait to see what it looks like next year when things root.

I agree a park full of trees would look a little unnatural. The boat launches are great!
tomkel no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #1845
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

The sorts of grasses planted at the park take time to develop. It will be a year or two before that aspect of the park shapes up. I'm sure at some point (as mentioned in the Gould article) there will be benches and more facilites there as well. I liken it to building a new golf course. When a golf course is built, it isn't generally like everything is set and done the first year it's open. It takes time for the course to mature, and adjustments need to be made in response to how the course exists in the real world (versus on paper).

Not everyone is going to like the new park, but give it 5 to 10 years and my guess is that it will mature into a great asset for Milwaukee.
Danillo no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #1846
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Even if they planted trees, they'd be small scraggly looking things for about 40 years LOL
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #1847
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
It's not done.
I'd hope you're right, but how do you know for certain? I've heard nothing about other amenities yet to be added. Seems to me, if such fanfare was important before the "completion" of the park, someone should've noted that it was not yet done...and that trees and benches, etc. were yet to be added.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #1848
DooMer_MP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
I'd hope you're right, but how do you know for certain? I've heard nothing about other amenities yet to be added. Seems to me, if such fanfare was important before the "completion" of the park, someone should've noted that it was not yet done...and that trees and benches, etc. were yet to be added.
There aren't going to be trees, as already stated. It will be prairie grass and wild flowers, which in my opinion could be quite cool. Unique.
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1849
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuBrew View Post

Sooo, it's a winner for the tens of thousands of people who will be using the boat launches? C'mon, how many slips are there? Twenty? Oh, by the way, there's nothing natural about that landfill, so how is the prairie grass natural for that location? I just think we spent an awful lot for an unfinished-looking park. It could use some trees and benches at least.
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1850
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
There aren't going to be trees, as already stated. It will be prairie grass and wild flowers, which in my opinion could be quite cool. Unique.
Maybe so. I'm not against the plan, it just seems like a glorified launch site for the fireworks a couple of times a year. And, a convenient place for a few boaters to dump their empty beer cans.
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1851
DooMer_MP3

I haven't been there yet, but I've heard from quite a few people its very cool in a unique sort of way. And its also deceptively large, apparently.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1852
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

Quote:
Sooo, it's a winner for the tens of thousands of people who will be using the boat launches? C'mon, how many slips are there? Twenty? Oh, by the way, there's nothing natural about that landfill, so how is the prairie grass natural for that location? I just think we spent an awful lot for an unfinished-looking park. It could use some trees and benches at least.
Well, by that definition, nothing is natural for that location. So should there be nothing there? Prairie grasses and wildflowers are native species that will work well there. As other have stated, trees won't work well there, so there aren't any. It looks like an unfinished park becuase it takes time for the plantings there to come in. It's like planting an oak sapling in a new park and wondering why the oak trees aren't full grown right away. It takes time. It will mature and improve. Things will be added and changed in response to the environment in that setting. Give it some time, it'll be a great space.
Danillo no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1853
Markitect

Quote:
There was quite a bit of media coverage of the park last week, which made mention that while the park is open, it is not yet completed (e.g. maturation of the landscaping, the future visitor's center, benches, etc.).

Last edited by Markitect; June 28th, 2007 at 10:42 PM.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1854
NeuBrew

Quote:
Not just the boat slips, there is a sand beach to launch kayaks/canoes and such. Personally, I saw that as the most appealling. It becomes more of a recreational spot. The prarie grasses are regionally appropriate, and keep the spot as more of a wind-swept lake frontage. Makes sense to me.

Are you suggesting that a tree and bench would send those tens of thousands of people in droves?

Maybe tree climbing contents and bench jumping.

I jest...
NeuBrew no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #1855
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

I like the Lakeshore State Park. I think the best thing they could do is change the name from "Lakeshore State Park" to simply "Lakeshore Park." In Wisconsin the name "State Park" conjures up images of Devil's Lake, Wyalusing and Governor Dodge. This park is nothing like those places. And it doesn't have to be. It's not a place to hike in or camp in -- it's an urban park. It's a place to relax for a bit and connect with the water, walk your dog, do some fishing, listen to the birds tweet (they'll come when the prairie grasses are grown) and look at the boats go by. No one is going to spend a whole day in this park, most people will spend just a few minutes there, maybe a few hours. And that's OK.

What the park really needs is some benches, and some kind of verandas for shade. When the grass is grown and the docks are full of boats, the Lakeshore Park will be a great place to stop and chill out on a warm day.
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #1856
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Yes, it was was known that full build-out would take place over a span of several years since before the freeway spur was demolished.
The 18 years comment really shocked me. Add that on to how long it has already been and thats why I am concerned... I knew it would take awhile. Years, obviously. But I was thinking a lot of it would be done within 10 years... its already been several years and 10 years seems like only a small fraction will be started/completed.
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1857
mbradleyc
This is getting good

Location: My heart is in Milwaukee, my soul is in Bristol, but my ass is stuck in Lake County.
Likes (Received): 4269

They do need to change the name of the park, but I think State should remain. Name it after Bo Black. She made Summerfest into what it is as much as anyone.

I'm going there on the 4th. I can't wait.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #1858
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 649

I thought I caught a glimpse of a story this morning saying that the ethanol refinery was approved for Milwaukee Harbor... yet now I can not find a story about it anywhere. From what I saw they were going to start construction this year yet.
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #1859
Markitect

Biodiesel refinery approved for Jones Island
Markitect no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #1860
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

I drove across the State Street bridge today. Only 2 of the 3 lanes are open. I guess it's nothing really special, just a once convenient avenue to get from east of the river to the west side is now available again. Unlike the State St. bridge, I actually use the Kilbourn St. bridge once in a while and I think that closure will have a greater effect on traffic.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  

Closed Thread