daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #1861
nic158

Likes (Received): 0

This may be for another thread, but i feel like there is a conversation we could have about this whole bucks/Yi thing. This is turning into something more than just basketball, its testing the image of the city for good and bad.
Here's some articles if you don't know what i'm talking about...

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/milwaukee_yi.html
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=626535
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=626582
nic158 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1862
NeuBrew

The key thing to focus on in this thread should really be the perception of Milwaukee as a backwater community.

As I walked around Lakeshore State Park and looked at the MaM, Pier Wisconsin, and all the new condo development, I thought Milwaukee looked just wonderful. It's a city that in the past 5-10 years has totally remade itself. In another 3-4 years we'll see the interchange done, much of the park east developed, and the third ward all but full of luxury condos. Soon after, I think we'll see a huge boom in commercial/retail development to accomodate all this new money in the city. If I were a young millionaire, I would be excited to be moving into Milwaukee.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; July 3rd, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
NeuBrew no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:43 PM   #1863
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Here's more on the bucks/yi thing but also read the part about the Pabst... Sounds interesting.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=230215
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1864
NeuBrew

The Pabst as an international cultural center... interesting.

I'm hoping that Yi decides to play in Milwaukee. At least visit and see for yourself what it has to offer.
NeuBrew no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM   #1865
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

More retail!!!!

MONDAY, July 2, 2007, 4:11 p.m.
By Doris Hajewski and Tom Daykin

Anthropologie to open Third Ward store
Anthropologie, the upscale retail chain for women, will open its first Wisconsin store in Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward, marking the first entry of a national apparel chain to the neighborhood.

Anthropologie signed a lease Monday for 10,500 square feet at 301 N. Broadway, the former A. Gagliano & Co. produce warehouse, said building owner Robert Joseph. He said the store should open by early 2008.

Based in Philadelphia, Anthropologie was founded in 1992 to appeal to women who had outgrown the hip, youthful styles of Urban Outfitters, which is part of the same company. Anthropologie aims at well-educated, sophisticated women from 30 to 45, with household incomes of $150,000 to $200,000.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM   #1866
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
More retail!!!!

MONDAY, July 2, 2007, 4:11 p.m.
By Doris Hajewski and Tom Daykin

Anthropologie to open Third Ward store
Anthropologie, the upscale retail chain for women, will open its first Wisconsin store in Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward, marking the first entry of a national apparel chain to the neighborhood.

Anthropologie signed a lease Monday for 10,500 square feet at 301 N. Broadway, the former A. Gagliano & Co. produce warehouse, said building owner Robert Joseph. He said the store should open by early 2008.

Based in Philadelphia, Anthropologie was founded in 1992 to appeal to women who had outgrown the hip, youthful styles of Urban Outfitters, which is part of the same company. Anthropologie aims at well-educated, sophisticated women from 30 to 45, with household incomes of $150,000 to $200,000.
How many years have we been waiting for this? Their store in Chicago near Rush-Walton-Oak Street area has been there for at least 10 years!
At least they are finally willing to take a risk! And they say Midwesterners are conservative!
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:44 AM   #1867
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

We should all be proud though, that Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie picked the East Side and Third Ward, respectively, for their first SE Wisconsin locations. Milwaukee beat Mayfair, Bayshore, Pabst Farms, etc.

Now, hopefully others will follow suit. I can't believe that other national retailers won't follow those two big names.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:21 AM   #1868
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
We should all be proud though, that Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie picked the East Side and Third Ward, respectively, for their first SE Wisconsin locations. Milwaukee beat Mayfair, Bayshore, Pabst Farms, etc.

Now, hopefully others will follow suit. I can't believe that other national retailers won't follow those two big names.
I think these retailers will all begin to expand out. I think stores in suburban malls will enter the city, and vice versa. This is definitely something that all residents in the metro can smile about. Cheers!
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:02 AM   #1869
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

I've got mixed emotions on it. On the bright side, we're getting some national chains. On the dark side, we're getting some national chains.
In other words, yay, we're getting the kind of high profile stuff Chitown is;neigh, we're getting the same stuff you can get in Chitown.

These kinds of stores opening up in the Third Ward marks the next step of gentrification for that neighbourhood, my guess is all the real arts stuff will gradually migrate into the Fifth Ward as the Third gets more and more upscale.
CGII no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:37 AM   #1870
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I've got mixed emotions on it. On the bright side, we're getting some national chains. On the dark side, we're getting some national chains.
In other words, yay, we're getting the kind of high profile stuff Chitown is; neigh, we're getting the same stuff you can get in Chitown.
Well, at least we don't have to drive an hour and a half anymore to get something decent. That's a big plus. It also allows Chicagoans moving up here or buying their weekend condo the same shopping opportunities as in Chicago. Very big plus when it comes to sales taxes.

I guess the dark side of national chains has to do with your comments below.

Quote:
These kinds of stores opening up in the Third Ward marks the next step of gentrification for that neighbourhood, my guess is all the real arts stuff will gradually migrate into the Fifth Ward as the Third gets more and more upscale.
I don't know why there has to be absolutes. There could always be the happy mix between local and national retailers.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:37 AM   #1871
CGII
mk to the e

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I don't know why there has to be absolutes. There could always be the happy mix between local and national retailers.
But usually that mix only happens in the transitional state from bohemian respite to superchic.
CGII no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:05 PM   #1872
NeuBrew

Quote:
But usually that mix only happens in the transitional state from bohemian respite to superchic.
Or soho.

Either way, I think it's good news. Milwaukee has plenty of room for both the arts and the chains.

In other news, Michael Cudahy is still pushing light rail to Barrett and Walker. Makes me think that maybe Cudahy should run for office. What is he, a young 80 or something?
NeuBrew no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM   #1873
Twoaday

Cudahy is actually flying Barrett and Walker out to Portland and they are going to ride the light rail AND the streetcars!
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #1874
CGII
mk to the e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuBrew
Or soho.
Actually, the artists in SoHo are being pushed out by redevelopment and higher rents.

Scott Walker riding a streetcar should be funny. I wish I would be there to see his face. I can only imagine. 'My God, all these thousands of fools are riding a multimillion dollar boondoggle! Why don't they just drive?'
CGII no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM   #1875
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

scott walker is a tool
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1876
djcody

Thank you exit...took the words right out of my mouth...
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1877
Twoaday

The Breakwater 21 story tower was approved today by ZND
http://www.breakwater-condominiums.com/
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM   #1878
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
In other words, yay, we're getting the kind of high profile stuff Chitown is;neigh, we're getting the same stuff you can get in Chitown.

I am about as anti-chain as anyone. Particularly w/ restaurants. However, there just aren't a lot of independent retail apparel stores of decent size that exist anywhere. If you want mid to high-end retail, it will most likely come from a chain of some sort. Now, the super high-end can be provided with boutiques. But boutiques aren't traffic generators. Anthropologie will be a huge boost to the Third Ward boutiques because now, more people will be coming to the area.

And it is a huge benefit that when an upscale retailer was looking for locations in milwaukee, they chose downtown. for instance, crate and barrel should be in the third ward too, but they chose mayfair instead. This says a lot about how far the city has come. Will some of the retailers get pushed out into nearby neighborhoods? Probably, and that will be great because the 5th Ward, Walker's Point and Westown have PLENTY of room for them. This City needs retail, and TONS of it, of all spectrums. Welcome Anthropologie and may others follow you soon after!
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1879
brewcityfan

Quote:
Actually, the artists in SoHo are being pushed out by redevelopment and higher rents.

Scott Walker riding a streetcar should be funny. I wish I would be there to see his face. I can only imagine. 'My God, all these thousands of fools are riding a multimillion dollar boondoggle! Why don't they just drive?'
Read this commentary. I'm sure it would just make you wanna puke.

http://www.franklinnow.com/blog/inde...&entryid=40379
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1880
Twoaday

The Riviana projects General Plan Development was also approved today by ZND despite the residents of the Third Ward complaining about its height...
Twoaday no está en línea  

Closed Thread