daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #1921
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Oshkosh49> Please understand that despite the "loss of population" the downtown absorbed something like 360 new units each you for the last 5, and the county on a whole has absorbed something like 1600. To a large respect what you are seeing is the declining in the size of the American household. Less kids == less population.
Twoaday no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #1922
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4277

I haven't heard of them, but new restaurant a comin':

Montreal Bread store to open in November on Erie Street
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - July 9, 2007 by Pete Millard

Milwaukee investors will open the first Montreal Bread Co. franchise in the United States in November on the ground floor of the River Renaissance condominium building at North Water and East Erie streets.

Steve Stewart, president of Investors Equity Inc. and New Vision Development Co., is teaming up with Supple Restaurant Group to acquire franchise rights for Montreal Bread Co. from Peter Morentzos, founder of the combined bakery and quick casual restaurant that also has four operations in Montreal and two in Toronto.
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #1923
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
No one is talking about taking busses out of the inner city, besides Scott Walker. So, unless you talking about him, yes I will take that bet. Basically every other politician in southeastern wisconsin wants to improve and enhance transit.
Yeah, sure they do...and I've got a bridge for sale.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #1924
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Coming soon to First Place on the River: http://www.cafelunalounge.com/drinks.html
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #1925
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

DCD Downtown Study

Did anyone read the Downtown Market study conducted by the city?

It mentioned that new downtown residents are 'empty-nesters', and young-proffesionals earning an average income of $100,000. The downtown market absorbs 360 units a year (even with the high-rate of re-sales), and currently has 2,300 units under-construction or proposed.

The article also mentions the downtown rental occupancy rate (apartments) is at 97%.

Here's the link: Downtown Market Study
EastSider no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #1926
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

If you look at the major costs for these projects, one thing that repeatedly comes up is parking. The city would be doing itself a favour and saving money in the long run if it spent the money it currently spends subsidising parking on Mass Transit improvements (not that rediculous circle thing, though).
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #1927
Twoaday

I do agree that parking is a major issue affecting development in Milwaukee, it is why you don't see many 200k- condos going up, it is a factor in the shorter height of buildings in Milwaukee, it is why retail is slow to open in Milwaukee, it reduces our population density as land is dedicted to the car not to people. So yes an improved transit system is very high on my list, as would be encouraging developers to rethink there methods to determine parking requirements because they always build too much parking. (Milwaukee actually has pretty good zoning laws as far as reducing parking)

And well the downtown circulator serves a couple purposes.

1 Streetcar lines encourage developments along their lines (note Portland), so the line itself is a catalyst.

2 It will really allow people driving into the city to park once.

3 For those of us living in and or near the loop it discourages people from driving from lets say JVT to the Grand Ave (which people do).

4 It serves both the potential KRM and Amtrak of connecting downtown to the train station. In fact the KRM plan has some sort of circulator as a requirement.

5 It is just the first piece of the puzzel.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #1928
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Portland's line runs much like the original Milwaukee Connector route, connecting a couple of high density residental areas, a major university, a major hospital centre, downtown, etc. The new streetcar thing proposed would do none of these. Furthermore, it doesn't do anything to connect different bus routes together like the Connector would've. Even more than that, my main concern is that if built, it would not attract enough ridership to encourage expansion. Systems get expanded if they prove successful. Would the streetcar loop do that or would it end up like Buffalo's line? Either way, this will most likely be rerouted by the Connector committee anyway in order to qualify for funds.
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #1929
Twoaday

ummm the new "streetcar thing" goes right past JVT and Yankee Hill (dense neighborhood JVT has something like 150+ hh per acre), over close to Marquette and downtown... So that sounds very simliar to Portland. Further I believe it was Portland who took their streetcar to a former brewery and watched it redevelop... much like Pabst.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1930
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Would the streetcar loop do that or would it end up like Buffalo's line? Either way, this will most likely be rerouted by the Connector committee anyway in order to qualify for funds.
It is currently being studied by the connector group (I believe), so hopefully they can answer this question. I personally would use the street car loop a ton. I'd only have to walk 5 blocks to catch it, and could take it to most attractions.
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1931
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
ummm the new "streetcar thing" goes right past JVT and Yankee Hill (dense neighborhood JVT has something like 150+ hh per acre), over close to Marquette and downtown... So that sounds very simliar to Portland. Further I believe it was Portland who took their streetcar to a former brewery and watched it redevelop... much like Pabst.
Portland:

Milwaukee:

The closest the streetcar loop goes to Marquette is eight blocks away, making it useless to anyone wanting to go there. It is also around four blocks from Pabst, making it unlikely to encourage development or reduce its parking needs. It goes to the third ward but only just barely and still manages to be over four blocks from MIAD, about as far from the festival ground, five blocks over a bridge from the Harley Museum, a mile from Walker's Point, seven blocks from Brady Street, etc. It would also do nothing to reduce traffic and parking issues around the Bradley Ctr. or Convention Ctr. as it would not connect these to any areas of peripheral parking. All in all, the original Connector plan had more in common with Portland than the new one does. I like the streetcar idea but I don't want to see us do a cheap job of it.
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #1932
Twoaday

Seven blocks from Brady? How about it hits both Cathedrial Square and Water St. Goes right past MSOE, the bradley center, the convention center, the grand ave, the public market... I guess I see it as a starter line that will grow but in Milwaukee you have to do it that way because big projects take a lot of leadership...
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #1933
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 223

I don't know. I've always been skeptical of the connector idea. The KRM is fine. SMART could be fine. I think the connector would be wasting taxpayer dollars. I just don't see how it can be successful at this point when really the only ones that need it would be those arriving from the KRM or Amtrak. Currently the KRM could be coming in from the north (inner city) and south (southeast suburbs), and Amtrak from Chicago.

Why don't I say people living downtown? Because most residential developments have a decent amount of walking distance. The residential towers along Prospect have no way of simply walking to the connector. As correctly noted, Walker's Point and over half of the Third Ward got some distance on them as well.

I don't know. Perhaps if this baby had more lines going east-west and/or north-south it wouldn't be so bad.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1934
DooMer_MP3

8 blocks from Marquette...
4 blocks from MIAD...
4 blocks from Pabst...

Its clear we will need moving sidewalks as well, then. I mean come on, people walk in cities...

Also, its been made clear many times that there are a variety of options to keep the general taxpayer from having to cover the additional 17 million...

Last edited by DooMer_MP3; July 11th, 2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #1935
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I don't know. I've always been skeptical of the connector idea. The KRM is fine. SMART could be fine. I think the connector would be wasting taxpayer dollars.
This is using taxpayer money that was levied in the early 90's from the entire nation. It doesn't have to be raised, it already exists. It would be a huge waste to NOT use it and let some other city take it.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1936
DooMer_MP3

County reps vote to let county parks, transit continue to rot and not reduce county property tax levy...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=631381
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1937
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
County reps vote to let county parks, transit continue to rot and not reduce county property tax levy...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=631381
What a horrible article. It told me nothing of the actual plan so that now I have no idea if I think it is good or bad that they turned it down. (In principle I want funding for these things... but I won't blindly say I want a tax increase without knowing exactly what the plan is)
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1938
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

The Transportation Committee referred the issue back to the Parks Commission, today too. I was at the meeting but they didn't have any extra copies of the plan for the public to view, so I'm not exactly sure what it entails. The committee voted not to recommend a referendum on the subject, though. This was despite strong support from several supervisors.
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #1939
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
8 blocks from Marquette...
4 blocks from MIAD...
4 blocks from Pabst...

Its clear we will need moving sidewalks as well, then. I mean come on, people walk in cities...

Also, its been made clear many times that there are a variety of options to keep the general taxpayer from having to cover the additional 17 million...
But if someone's already walked eight blocks to the middle of downtown, why would they bother riding this? And why would people ride it to Pabst? Where would they ride it from? I like the idea but you have to design it properly or else it is a waste of steel and concrete. Look at the attractions it connects- there's little reason for people to ride it between them. Why would someone from MSOE ride this? What use would it be to Marquette students? What about folks who live in the Third Ward? Besides riding it a couple of times a year to the Bradley Ctr, what else would they use it for? You could use the exact same amount of steel, for the exact same cost and provide a real alternative. It just takes some decent design by transportation folks, not the DCD.
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #1940
Twoaday

Well I see it as something I'd use from JVT/Yankee Hill to goto the Public Market/Third Ward, The Grand Ave, and The Bradley Center to name a couple of places. And in fact it's possible one might catch it to run from Water St to Taylors as I've used a cab for many a night. Further whether it's Ruvin or not all sorts of development will happen at the corner of 4th and Juneau.. I see where you're coming from but for moving people around downtown this is an intriguing plan to me.
Twoaday no está en línea  

Closed Thread