daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 15th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #1961
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Likes (Received): 0

"If I came over to your home and just before I walked in, you let one rip, the place would smell rank. However, I wouldn't think to myself, gee, this stench is terrible... I hope it's temporary" -Milwaukee Mark

that was unexpected and quite hilarious

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #1962
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIL Mike View Post
"If I came over to your home and just before I walked in, you let one rip, the place would smell rank. However, I wouldn't think to myself, gee, this stench is terrible... I hope it's temporary" -Milwaukee Mark

that was unexpected and quite hilarious
Haha, glad you enjoyed it.
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1963
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
"Now, if there truly are city planners at City Hall, they will identify two or three top sites -- DOWNTOWN -- and pitch it (yes, with some TIFs involved) as Milwaukee's next tallest office building. But, I'm not sure that Milwaukee leaders have ever cared much about establishing height and developing a recognizable skyline."

Ya because good planners would pitch property they don't own, offer a TIF or subsidize the project just so we could get a new tall building??? yea that makes sense. Maybe just maybe if the market demanded a new tall building, and maybe just maybe if a land owner wanted to sell their land and maybe if there were viable tenants to make the project viable then DCD would promote a better design, and help the process move forward.
You pretty much missed my point. If there's going to be development anyway, and there certainly has been, and should continue to be, why not package a block or area downtown tha could serve as a catalyst to house a new tallest? What would draw more attention to Milwaukee, and create quite a buzz -- another 20-story condo...or a 40-50 story project?
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1964
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

There are sites selected throughout the downtown marked/zoned as landmark sites, so they have already done that. But again the developer has to come along who can finance a 40/50 story building and make it viable, which apparently isn't too realistic in our market.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #1965
sweethomemke

Anyone know what ever happened to the proposal known as "block 12"? I believe it was floated around earlier this year, but haven't heard anything about it since. Am I right to assume this has been thrown on the dead proposal pile?
sweethomemke no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #1966
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethomemke View Post
Anyone know what ever happened to the proposal known as "block 12"? I believe it was floated around earlier this year, but haven't heard anything about it since. Am I right to assume this has been thrown on the dead proposal pile?
Which would be extremely sad if it was tossed into the pile. That's a great building complex and would mean so much to the northern fringe of downtown Milwaukee. A classy, high quality design like this shouldn't be in the burner.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #1967
Markitect

No the Block 12 proposal is not, but it'll need an anchor tenant or two (office and/or hotel) before becoming even remotely possible.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1968
brewcityfan

You know I was thinking....and this could be a dumb moment for me....but why doesn't Milwaukee try to grab the attention of some Illinois companies that are looking for new branch offices/campuses)? I'm sure companies like Allstate or Motorola need to spread its wings for some things! It'd be very convenient for Illinois companies to have some presence here, considering it's not that far of a drive from Milwaukee to Chicago.

I don't know....maybe Milwaukee is doing this as I speak. But you sure don't see it put out there very well in the media.
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1969
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
You know I was thinking....and this could be a dumb moment for me....but why doesn't Milwaukee try to grab the attention of some Illinois companies that are looking for new branch offices/campuses)? I'm sure companies like Allstate or Motorola need to spread its wings for some things! It'd be very convenient for Illinois companies to have some presence here, considering it's not that far of a drive from Milwaukee to Chicago.

I don't know....maybe Milwaukee is doing this as I speak. But you sure don't see it put out there very well in the media.
I think that was partly the goal of Milwaukee 7. But I haven't heard anything from them since they launched their site earlier this year. http://www.choosemilwaukee.com

PS - I've said it before, but Block 12 MUST get built. I love that building more than any other proposal we've see. An yeah, that includes Lake Pointe, Rana, Sydney Hih, Moderne, and even Kilbourn and University Club Towers. I really want that building.
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.

Last edited by ajknee; July 16th, 2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: ...
ajknee no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #1970
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Because Kenosha and Weenergies business park is much closer to the state border.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1971
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Because Kenosha County and Weenergies' business park there is much closer to the state border. But don't think for moment that Mayor Barrett or
the MMAC isn't trying.

The Milwaukee County Research Park did steal away ZyStor Therapeutics, Inc from Saint Louis, MO, in part due to the close proximity of MCOW (Medical College of Wisconsin.)

Last edited by historybuffer; July 16th, 2007 at 11:38 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #1972
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
I think that was partly the goal of Milwaukee 7. But I haven't heard anything from them since they launched their site earlier this year. http://www.choosemilwaukee.com

PS - I've said it before, but Block 12 MUST get built. I love that building more than any other proposal we've see. An yeah, that includes Lake Pointe, Rana, Sydney Hih, Moderne, and even Kilbourn and University Club Towers. I really want that building.
I'd be willing to bet that if you can deliver a tenant to sign off on 100,000 sq. feet of office space, fill 150 hotel rooms and sell 50 condos, that building is yours. Good luck.

You see, the problem is -- and I'd love to see that building get done -- there are so damn many proposals floating around out there, and there just isn't even close to enough demand for all of it.

Last edited by Skyking2; July 16th, 2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #1973
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Attracting a 100,000 SF tenant from outside of the region is much much more difficult than drawing a building that such a tenant could occupy. We really shouldn't get excited seeing all of these renderings, because there are proposals for almost every underutilized block downtown. This isn't a "if you build it they will come" it is a "you can build it if they come" scenario. I wouldn't get excited until you hear about a Red Prairie, other suburban office tenant relocating or existing downtown tenant expanding.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #1974
brewcityfan

Well that's why I said perhaps we should do a better job at luring some Illinois corporations to consider putting their branch offices here. It only makes sense, and both the suburbs and the city can smile at the same time. Like this:
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1975
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
Attracting a 100,000 SF tenant from outside of the region is much much more difficult than drawing a building that such a tenant could occupy. We really shouldn't get excited seeing all of these renderings, because there are proposals for almost every underutilized block downtown. This isn't a "if you build it they will come" it is a "you can build it if they come" scenario. I wouldn't get excited until you hear about a Red Prairie, other suburban office tenant relocating or existing downtown tenant expanding.
No kidding...that was my point.
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #1976
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 88

what happened with the ghazi proposal? i was in milwaukee to do, and although it would elimate that lovely courthouse shot... we NEED a tall building there! it would add a lot of density and "bigness" to downtown.
Badgers77 no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1977
MJinOshkosh

Likes (Received): 48

So how does the city of Milwaukee bring employment to the downtown area?

How does the city bring businesses to the city?

What is the perception of Milwaukee outside of its region?

Is the metro Milwaukee region stagnent? Or....
Is the metro Milwaukee region fluid?

Is the Milwaukee regions problems in attracting businessess just the 5 county metro area's problem or is it the states problem as well?

What can the Milwaukee region do to change what the perception is? Also what can the state do as well?

Can the 5 county metro area support a large influx of people in its transportation systems or not?

Hearing of the recent in city and county political scandals, How does this effect the perception of the Milwaukee region?

Let's be honest until some of the pressing issues that face Milwaukee and some cooperation with the state of Wisconsin not much change in Milwaukee's perception is going to happen. So I ask this...

If Milwaukee is such a great place to do business. Then why don't we hear from the local Milwaukee area businessess as to why Milwaukee is a great place on a great lake?

Why don't we hear from the UWM's and Marquette's about the great educational opportunities in the Milwaukee region? (Also the other places of higher education).

There are many more questions to ask. Until we all get a better understanding of why some of the more apparent problems aren't getting solved then the Milwaukee region is going to remain as perception has it now, as a stagnet very slow growing to declining metro area.
MJinOshkosh no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #1978
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

First off I'd say place your bets on Ghazi this is a company that understands its markets and gets the job done... so I'm putting $$$$s on that happening.

Brew> As far as attracting branch offices from Chicago.. read some Jane Jacobs already man that's not the holy grail we need to be putting money into Milwaukee companies, schools and well people.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #1979
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Brew> As far as attracting branch offices from Chicago.. read some Jane Jacobs already man that's not the holy grail we need to be putting money into Milwaukee companies, schools and well people.
Did I say it was? Chicago could be just an example of a bigger spectrum that Milwaukee should lure outside corporations into the mix here.

And did you say we should be putting money into Milwaukee companies? How do you suppose we do this? By TIFing them on new buildings?? Giving them other forms of breaks, like Manpower's parking structure???

Anywho, no doubt we need to support schools and people in Milwaukee. One of my concerns is keeping recent college grads to stay in Milwaukee for work/raising a family instead of leaving for some far-off state. Bringing in new businesses instead of just refreshing current ones I feel would make our state look more attractive. I say Chicago because many Chicagoans (most likely including the execs) have at least came up to Milwaukee once or twice recently....they know the city and its lifestyle firsthand. They'd probably be the easiest to convince to build something up here compared to some company out in California.

But hey, that's just my opinion.
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #1980
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

And a lot of Chicago execs are actually from Wisconsin, worked here at some point, lived here at one point or went to school here at some point.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  

Closed Thread