daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #261
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Conceptual Desing

Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #262
Grygry
Grygry

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibou View Post
The only thing is : this train will not be able to travel at 350 km/h on lines where 300 km/h TGV are actually running... especially on the TGV Nord and TGV Sud-Est lines, which are running to capacity.
... unless all trains on one lines are AGVs.
That's more likely for TGV Est because of the tracks that are much straighter. Same for upcoming sections of TGV Atlantique...

Anyway this train was not designed for French needs specifically. It is the first time it is developped without a command from the SNCF. In fact it's called AGV because TGV is a trademark from the SNCF.
Also the recent needs of SNCF were more double deckers TGVs (duplex) to increase capacity on SE line, the AGVs is a little topic in the French network for today's needs.
Grygry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #263
growingup

Likes (Received): 5

And here is on youtube:

growingup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #264
Wallaroo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avientu View Post
Can the driver choose a certain speed (like 250 km/h) for the train to accelerate to automatically, or does he have to control that manually?

IMO it would be better only to use automatic speed selection, so that the train always accelerates and brakes as much as it can without people and coffecups tilting.,
Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #265
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6562

wasn't this also an conceptual design for this train?:

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #266
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
Can the driver choose a certain speed (like 250 km/h) for the train to accelerate to automatically, or does he have to control that manually?

IMO it would be better only to use automatic speed selection, so that the train always accelerates and brakes as much as it can without people and coffecups tilting.,
I'm not entirely sure, I though the drivers could just set a speed. On having a search round the web I can't find any exact descriptions. There is certainly a automatic braking control during emergency braking to ensure safety.

Last edited by elfabyanos; February 10th, 2008 at 01:41 AM.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #267
sotavento

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibou View Post
The only thing is : this train will not be able to travel at 350 km/h on lines where 300 km/h TGV are actually running... especially on the TGV Nord and TGV Sud-Est lines, which are running to capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grygry View Post
... unless all trains on one lines are AGVs.
That's more likely for TGV Est because of the tracks that are much straighter. Same for upcoming sections of TGV Atlantique...

Anyway this train was not designed for French needs specifically. It is the first time it is developped without a command from the SNCF. In fact it's called AGV because TGV is a trademark from the SNCF.
Also the recent needs of SNCF were more double deckers TGVs (duplex) to increase capacity on SE line, the AGVs is a little topic in the French network for today's needs.
that's right ... SNCF actualy is trying to INCREASE the "Duplex" capacity by removing the middle powercars (duplex run in double units)

They have plans to motorize de bogies in the extremities of the coach set (to maintain the same power/weithg ratio) and increase each train from 2x8 to 2x9 coaches ... in the process they will gain some 64 "free" powercars (one of each set will became available).

Basicaly they will became like Eurostar stock with double set's of 1 power car and 9 coaches each ... wich means some 10% more capacity in each set (Comparing to today) and already more power units to add new cars and make some 32 other sets of Duplex (?).
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #268
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

I saw this proposal too. I'm not sure how they're going to get the same power to weight ratio, does anyone have any ideas? They could power the axles in the end trailers, but would that mean the remaining loco in each half-set would have to take on twice as much transforming/electrical conversion as it did before? If so I'm sure the remaining loco would have to be modified as well. I'm sure it can be done, would just like to know how!!!
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #269
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
I saw this proposal too. I'm not sure how they're going to get the same power to weight ratio, does anyone have any ideas? They could power the axles in the end trailers, but would that mean the remaining loco in each half-set would have to take on twice as much transforming/electrical conversion as it did before? If so I'm sure the remaining loco would have to be modified as well. I'm sure it can be done, would just like to know how!!!
Like this

http://www.entreprise-sncf.com/sncf_demain/TGV%20GC.pdf

The end and middle bogies of the rake would be powered bogies, giving the same power/weight as if a loco was used. On a normal length train, the front loco is powered from the pantograph at the back. On this proposal, both pantographs would be used and would feed bus power to the train. The same shrinking in transformers / power components that allows the AGV to be built would enable conversion of the supply from 25kV to the 4 intermediate power bogies. These would be housed in the area over the bogies that you can see in the diagram above.

Last edited by 33Hz; February 10th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #270
33Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
wasn't this also an conceptual design for this train?:

It is interesting that it looks nothing like the previous prototype - which I think looks better.

Although I think the new one looks better outside in this shot.

Old February 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #271
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
Like this

http://www.entreprise-sncf.com/sncf_demain/TGV%20GC.pdf

The end and middle bogies of the rake would be powered bogies, giving the same power/weight as if a loco was used. On a normal length train, the front loco is powered from the pantograph at the back. On this proposal, both pantographs would be used and would feed bus power to the train. The same shrinking in transformers / power components that allows the AGV to be built would enable conversion of the supply from 25kV to the 4 intermediate power bogies. These would be housed in the area over the bogies that you can see in the diagram above.
Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #272
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

Is there any information on the power supply requirements of the new train?

Also, is it possible to run a high speed train on overhead lines until on board batteries are charged by using alternators which could run the train whilst in country areas thus reducing support structure costs. Once back in city areas they could be run on overhead lines. The reason I ask is because here in Australia these costs are one of the reasons we do not have high speed trains.
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #273
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

There's no way really a battery could hold enough power to operate the train for more than a very short distance, I think it would be unviable.
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #274
desiderio_100578

Likes (Received): 0

At first sight I thought the train looked ugly but the more I watch it the more I like it...
I suspect that when in motion it will look awesome...
Funny news:SNCF is said not to be eager not to buy it because they focus on maximum passenger capacity so they might go for duplex TGV but...Air France KLM-certainly pissed off to lose market shares to HST-are rumoured to move into rail travel...and buy the AGV!!!
desiderio_100578 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #275
33Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSG View Post
Is there any information on the power supply requirements of the new train?

Also, is it possible to run a high speed train on overhead lines until on board batteries are charged by using alternators which could run the train whilst in country areas thus reducing support structure costs. Once back in city areas they could be run on overhead lines. The reason I ask is because here in Australia these costs are one of the reasons we do not have high speed trains.
Currently the UK is tendering for a replacement for the HST which will be able to use both 25kV where it is available and diesel engines where it is not. This is called the Intercity Express Programme. It will be a kind of hybrid EMU / DMU.

The original HST is what you Aussies bought from us Poms and called the XPT. Perhaps you would like to join in and purchase some of these new models too?
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #276
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

image hosted on flickr

Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #277
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Now I got it!!

When I first saw this picture;

It reminded me of something but I wasn't able to put my finger on it until I saw an old revival movie.

It's Mosra in it's larval state.
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #278
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Sorry but I can't really see the resemblance...
Not more at least than an ICE3 would resemble it...
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #279
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Heh heh, neat shape connectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by xote View Post
FUGLY. Looks as if they tapped into the nightmares of a drunk Japanese shinkansen designer.
Its looks can`t matter were it to blur by most of its locales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avientu View Post

Some seriously freaky height to this single-decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
Unh-unh, this train`s hot-looking, snap out of it!
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #280
33Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post

Tags
alstom, high speed train, tgv