daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #541
Hubert Pollak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
-2 Barcelona-Paris Gare de Lyon
-1 Madrid-Barcelona-Paris Gare de Lyon
-1 Madrid-Barcelona-Marseille
-1 Barcelona-Marseille
-1 Barcelona-Lyon Part Dieu
-1 Madrid-Barcelona-Genève
-1 Barcelona-Lille
-1 Barcelona-Toulouse-Bordeaux
Where the hell is Barcelona - Nice TGV. It could be popular specially in summertime.

Anyway scheme is great.
__________________
Tak dla priorytetu dla tramwajów = zawsze zielone dla tramwajów // Always green light on crossroads for trams!
Hubert Pollak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM   #542
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Pollak View Post
Where the hell is Barcelona - Nice TGV. It could be popular specially in summertime.
There are two trains Barcelona - Marseilles planned, where you can change for Nice (or any other place on the Cote d'Azur). And since most trains will call at Montpelier, this gives a lot more options even.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM   #543
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,007
Likes (Received): 15435

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
There are two trains Barcelona - Marseilles planned, where you can change for Nice (or any other place on the Cote d'Azur). And since most trains will call at Montpelier, this gives a lot more options even.
There aren´t many Montpellier-Nice trains.

I guess there aren´t any Barcelona-Nice TGVs because the Marseilles-Nice line is bordering saturation.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM   #544
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
There aren´t many Montpellier-Nice trains.

I guess there aren´t any Barcelona-Nice TGVs because the Marseilles-Nice line is bordering saturation.
Currently the Marseilles - Nice line has "fast" paths leaving Marseille at 01 and 31. Some are used for TGV services, others for TEOZ services and others for TER Intercités. But some are not used.
So SNCF could replace a TEOZ or Intercité service with a TGV from Barcelona, or use an unused slot, and so increasing travel options on Marseilles - Nice.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM   #545
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 17,134
Likes (Received): 9962

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
There aren´t many Montpellier-Nice trains.
.
Actually if I remember well there are 3 Toulouse-Nice Intercités (formerly Téoz) trains per day (2 of them are from Bordeaux), even more during summer and of course they serve Montpellier and Marseille. Which is not that bad IMHO.
I took this line several times, and it's horrible BTW because it takes 7-8 hours from Toulouse to Nice, that's why now I do this journey by Plane which takes only 1H30 and the ticket price is approx. the same as by Train (there are 2 flights per day from Toulouse to Nice and 3 flights per day during weekends)
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #546
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Actually if I remember well there are 3 Toulouse-Nice Intercités (formerly Téoz) trains per day (2 of them are from Bordeaux), even more during summer and of course they serve Montpellier and Marseille. Which is not that bad IMHO.
I took this line several times, and it's horrible BTW because it takes 7-8 hours from Toulouse to Nice, that's why now I do this journey by Plane which takes only 1H30 and the ticket price is approx. the same as by Train (there are 2 flights per day from Toulouse to Nice and 3 flights per day during weekends)
"Horrible" is of course relative. However, SNCF could make those trips more convenient and pleasant.
Traveling long distance in Germany for example you in most cases have a train every hour, and all long distance trains have on board catering. I vastly prefer 7 hours on an ICE over 1 hour in a plance. But that is personal of course...
BTW, you can't get from Toulouse to Nice in 1h30m by plane. To make a fair comparison you need to factor in the extra time needed for check in, transfer to airport etc...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM   #547
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,536
Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
BTW, you can't get from Toulouse to Nice in 1h30m by plane. To make a fair comparison you need to factor in the extra time needed for check in, transfer to airport etc...
Most people are not travelling from station to station either. You need to account for time it takes to get to and from origin and destination train stations. Albeit usually shorter than the time it takes to clear check-in and security in an airport, it is common that people need up to one extra at each city to get from doorstep to doorstep
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:11 AM   #548
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Most people are not travelling from station to station either. You need to account for time it takes to get to and from origin and destination train stations. Albeit usually shorter than the time it takes to clear check-in and security in an airport, it is common that people need up to one extra at each city to get from doorstep to doorstep
In deed. Door to door is what counts. That is why having a good integration of the schedules of different lines is so important. More important than going as fast as possible. SNCF is starting to get this. It appears you are too :-)
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:49 PM   #549
Gadiri
Registered User
 
Gadiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris-Agadir-Guelmim
Posts: 52,723
Likes (Received): 6980

Quote:
Refurbished TGV PSE trains as good as new

24 February 2012



FRANCE: The first of 60 refurbished TGV PSE trainsets is expected to re-enter service on LGV Rhin-Rhône during March, following overhaul at the Hellemmes Technicentre near Lille.

The refurbishment has been styled by a partnership of seating specialist Compin and creative agency RCP Design Global. Adopting 'a cognitive and sensory approach', the designers put particular focus on lighting, which has been updated to 'enlarge and structure' the saloon. The main lighting is described as 'softer and more functional', with 'task lighting' used to pinpoint certain facets of the interior 'closer to the hand and the eye'.

RCP enlisted the help of visual designer Christel Berthou-Brosse to implement a signage policy through material and colour choice to 'ensure the traveller knows where he is at any time during the journey'.

Other renovated spaces included the toilets, which have been remodelled with materials chosen to provide 'a domestic dimension', which contributes to 'a perception of cleanliness'.

The bar area has also been extensively revised, with an open plan layout minimising separation between the passenger and service staff. The designers hope that passengers will be encouraged to use the space even when no bar service is being provided.

The refurbishment is intended 'to perpetuate the desire to travel by TGV', according to RCP. Trainset SE15 underwent testing in mid-February before re-entering traffic. The TGV PSE sets are now more than 30 years old.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...od-as-new.html
__________________


FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims


Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:28 AM   #550
Busfotodotnl
Registered User
 
Busfotodotnl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vianen
Posts: 1,671
Likes (Received): 511

NATIONAL train company SNCF is taking a leaf out of the low-cost airline's book and is set to offer budget TGV travel next year.

Radio station RTL said this morning the rail firm will offer a ticket for under €25 to destinations including Lyon, Marseille and Montpellier - however, services will not start in the centre of Paris, but in Marne-la-Vallée, a town east of the capital, in Seine-et-Marne.

Passengers will get no frills on the stripped-down four-car trains - apart from a high-speed journey - as there will be no first-class or buffet car.

They will also be restricted to one piece of luggage as the trains are to be optimised to carry the maximum number of passengers.

Ticket prices are cheaper than the low-cost Prem's fares available and they will be the same price for all seats. They will be non-refundable.

An SNCF spokesman confirmed the plan but refused to comment further. Company chief executive Guillaume Pépy revealed in December that the company was looking at low-cost operations.

However, SNCF will likely release more information in the coming weeks as it bids to stay ahead of the competition. New rival Thello - a joint project between Veolia and Italian train firm Trenitalia - is already running a service between Paris and Turin and will offer more services as competition laws ease.
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:10 AM   #551
Coccodrillo
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,200
Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Passengers will get no frills on the stripped-down four-car trains - apart from a high-speed journey - as there will be no first-class or buffet car.
They will use refurbished TGV Duplex, with two locomotives and 8 coaches (today 3 first class, one restaurant, and 4 second class, to be converted into 8 standard class coaches maybe with more seats per car). A total of 4 sets may be converted, to be used in pairs.
__________________
1.6.2016: Basistunnel!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM   #552
hans280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Paris
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I don't say all trains should stop in all stations. I am just saying that having a two tier service where some trains go non stop, and some trains make all stops makes more sense than having all trains make some stops...

Train running time might be increased for the "locals", but the number of services offered daily would increase substantially, which has value too. SNCF is forgoing an opportunity here to tap new markets (and make more money...)
Well, it is true that the French HS-network is as monocentric (or Paris-centric... ) as an average German S-Bahn. Those TGVs connecting Paris to Marseille and which stop in Valences, Avignon or Aix even have a rule (to save time, apparently) that passengers are allowed to leave, but not board, the train. Last week I travelled on the TGV from Paris to Frankfurt and some of the French passengers next to me almost threw a fit when they saw some German travellers using "their TGV" to travel from Saarbruecken to Mannheim.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:12 PM   #553
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,536
Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Well, it is true that the French HS-network is as monocentric (or Paris-centric... ) as an average German S-Bahn. Those TGVs connecting Paris to Marseille and which stop in Valences, Avignon or Aix even have a rule (to save time, apparently) that passengers are allowed to leave, but not board, the train. Last week I travelled on the TGV from Paris to Frankfurt and some of the French passengers next to me almost threw a fit when they saw some German travellers using "their TGV" to travel from Saarbruecken to Mannheim.
If the trains are all fully-reserved, then it wouldn't be a problem, it the number of passengers using them for such relations is not that high.

Much more problematic is to have high-speed trains that double as local/regional services as it happens in ICEs going to Netherlands or Switzerland, where people can use them without reservation.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM   #554
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
If the trains are all fully-reserved, then it wouldn't be a problem, it the number of passengers using them for such relations is not that high.

Much more problematic is to have high-speed trains that double as local/regional services as it happens in ICEs going to Netherlands or Switzerland, where people can use them without reservation.
That is not a big problem. Only when a train would get overcrowded it might become an issue, but that can be fixed too... You can board TGVs without reservation in France too.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #555
sekelsenmat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,139
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfotodotnl View Post
NATIONAL train company SNCF is taking a leaf out of the low-cost airline's book and is set to offer budget TGV travel next year.
This is great news for people wanting to travel by rail, but on a budget $$. France's TGV is exorbitatingly expensive for many people at the current prices
__________________
True Democracy for Android - A realistic political simulation game where you are the premier/president and guides your country competing against other political parties =)

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM   #556
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,536
Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
This is great news for people wanting to travel by rail, but on a budget $$. France's TGV is exorbitatingly expensive for many people at the current prices
Only if you look as last-minute prices.

Advanced-purchased TGV tickets are in line with similar tickets from Germany and Italy and are less expensive than the usual cheapest advance tickets from Spain.

It will also be not the first low-cost initiative. SNCF already has the iTGV, which is low-cost as well.

In any case, the French network is quite suitable for these services: direct TGV lines allowing very fast services without intermediate stops and without having to deal with integrated local/regional tickets.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #557
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse
 
alserrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zaragoza
Posts: 59,801

It wasn't high speed one century ago but long tunnel...



First French tunnel that crossed the Canfranc tunnel (more than 8 km) on July 18th, 1928.

At Canfranc it had the welcome by French President Mr. Gaston de Doumergue and Spanish King Alfonso XIII

__________________
Ya ves que fuimos puente herido de abrazos detenidos por ver la libertad


(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #558
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
It wasn't high speed one century ago but long tunnel...



First French tunnel that crossed the Canfranc tunnel (more than 8 km) on July 18th, 1928.

At Canfranc it had the welcome by French President Mr. Gaston de Doumergue and Spanish King Alfonso XIII
Any news when Canfranc will be again connected to the French rail network?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #559
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse
 
alserrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zaragoza
Posts: 59,801

No.

Oloron-Urdos has plans to be open again... but since Urdos until the tunnel there is few population and a very complicate line. It worths only for international connections.

It is possible to shuttle in SNCF buses from Oloron to Canfranc.

Furthermore... if France start with a complete works until the tunnel they will ask Spanish ministry to change line gauge, catenary and some works to minimize points where trains have to reduce speed. And being a so long line since Huesca, it could be as important as French works!!

There is to much History in that station that can be told... and today only receives two daily trains.

For a time it was the longest station in Spain. It is narrow and long... and it was the longest in the middle of Pyrenees.
__________________
Ya ves que fuimos puente herido de abrazos detenidos por ver la libertad


(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #560
manilyn17
BANNED
 
manilyn17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Likes (Received): 0

Very high-speed train Duplex - Avignon station, France
manilyn17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
alstom, high speed train, tgv

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium