daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #41
Karakuri
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
A Japan maglev train reached 581 km/h.

Anyway maglev can reach these speeds (or little lower) in normal service, while TGV can't.
Wrong, the maglev is run at approx 400 on commercial use, and the one that reached 581km is a unique model used on an experiment railway in Japan, not on a real commercial railway. Moreover, the Maglev has no wheel, it competes in a different category.
Accept it man, just accept.
Karakuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #42
Karakuri
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
Good record, but it is an experiment, not top speed for standard TGV!
So what? Experiment is what makes things improve and move forward. Stop minimizing things just because it's not your country's deed.
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #43
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoo View Post
But Maglev and Transrapid are not conventionnal trains ... so it has absolutely no sense to compare them with the tgv.
It does, in the sense that they are all rail transport. It's a broader category, and may affect someone's decision to build one type of rail system over another.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #44
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Well, if the TGV go over 581 km/h in april, this debate will be closed

But well, it's already nice to see how advanced is Alstom technology in conventionnal trains, more quick that a tilting train and if the record of the maglev is broke, more quick that a supposed advanced technology in railway, even if commercial trains are faster with transrapid technology.
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #45
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4733

This record in still unofficial: it was only a training session.
Official record will occurs soon.

Making good speed mesurement is not so easy...
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #46
Karakuri
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
It does, in the sense that they are all rail transport. It's a broader category, and may affect someone's decision to build one type of rail system over another.
It's like comparing a dragster, a formula one, and a Ferrari. The Ferrari is a piece of shit compared to the two others, but if you have a little good sense...
Let's talk about that in april.

By the way, SNCF (French railway) is currently testing a 360km/h commercial speed, expected for 2012/2015.
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #47
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
So what? Experiment is what makes things improve and move forward. Stop minimizing things just because it's not your country's deed.
I am not minimizing anything!

My country has got the high speed record in trains with a diesel locomotive. So?
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #48
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

Very nice images!

Merci!!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #49
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

French TGV sets new speed record
http://english.people.com.cn/200702/...15_350206.html

The high-speed train known as TGV has set a new speed record in rail transport by reaching 553 km/h, thus breaking the earlier record of 515.3 km/h set in 1990, French daily Le Parisien reported on Wednesday.

According to the daily, the record was set Tuesday afternoon at the small town of Passavant-en-Arrogne, 190 km from Paris and 50 km east of Chalon-en-Champagne.

The record was set by a specially designed train made up of two locomotives and three railcars driving on the railway of the future East TGV linking Paris and Strasbourg in eastern France.

Officials of the French company Alstom Transport which manufactures the TGV had indicated in December 2006 that their objective in 2007 was to attain the speed of between "550 to 570 km/h."

They added that an "official" attempt is planned to take place "most likely at the beginning of April."
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #50
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Wrong, the maglev is run at approx 400 on commercial use, and the one that reached 581km is a unique model used on an experiment railway in Japan, not on a real commercial railway. Moreover, the Maglev has no wheel, it competes in a different category.
Accept it man, just accept.
From Wikipedia:
Transrapid is a German monorail system using magnetic levitation. Based on a patent from 1934, planning of an actual Transrapid system started in 1969. The test facility for the system in Emsland, Germany was completed in 1987, and on the 17th June 1993 the Transrapid TR-07 vehicle reached a record-breaking speed of 450 kilometers per hour. Today the maximum design speed has exceeded the 500 km/h (310 mph) mark and currently stands at about 550 km/h, with the fastest (and currently the only operational) scheduled passenger service reaching 430 km/h between Longyang Road station and Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, China. The system is developed and marketed by Transrapid International, a joint venture of the German companies Siemens AG and ThyssenKrupp.
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #51
Karakuri
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
I am not minimizing anything!

My country has got the high speed record in trains with a diesel locomotive. So?
Great. Good for Spain.
See, being proud of your country doesn't mean dissing the rest of the world, that is sheer nationalism and that stinks.
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #52
Douly

Likes (Received): 1647

@karakuri. I was a bit like you before. I am still proud of TGV improvements and SCNF speed records, nevertheless I must admit that sncf services are just awefull.
Last year I took a Train from Madrid to BCN (not a talgo, it was a just a sort of commuter train with stops in zaragoza, tarragona ( actually that was the place where I was going). I was simply amazed by the quality of services in those types of trains. Seats are much more confortable, you have more space, TV screens in every wagoon, newspapers for free. Even TGV first class does not offer a third of what was proposed in these trains (and I'd better not compare it to our "Train corail" system (you know what I mean)).
Except for food, things were much better in those trains than in any other train of sncf cie.

Speed is something, quality and services are another. If sncf does not improve its services, it will face a huge problem when the EU railway market will be liberalised.

Visit the MP2013 official thread on SSP

Visit "La Marseillaise" highrise thread on SSP
http://vimeo.com/104242985#at=27
Douly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #53
Douly

Likes (Received): 1647

Here is AIX EN Provence TGV station:

Here is Marseille St charles' station (terminus of the LGV Med)

Extension of the station "Halle Honorat"

Visit the MP2013 official thread on SSP

Visit "La Marseillaise" highrise thread on SSP
http://vimeo.com/104242985#at=27
Douly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #54
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

Merci pour les photos eomer!

Franchement ca se voit tout trop beau!!!!!
Je me rends compte qu'elle me manque La France.
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #55
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

are there any pics of the new trains that will be running on that route or the route how it will look like and when will they run it????
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #56
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douly View Post
@karakuri. I was a bit like you before. I am still proud of TGV improvements and SCNF speed records, nevertheless I must admit that sncf services are just awefull.
Last year I took a Train from Madrid to BCN (not a talgo, it was a just a sort of commuter train with stops in zaragoza, tarragona ( actually that was the place where I was going). I was simply amazed by the quality of services in those types of trains. Seats are much more confortable, you have more space, TV screens in every wagoon, newspapers for free. Even TGV first class does not offer a third of what was proposed in these trains (and I'd better not compare it to our "Train corail" system (you know what I mean)).
Except for food, things were much better in those trains than in any other train of sncf cie.

Speed is something, quality and services are another. If sncf does not improve its services, it will face a huge problem when the EU railway market will be liberalised.

A lot of train Corail was renovated and become most spacious, confortable and modern than TGV.
SNCF don't like LCD screen
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #57
Karakuri
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douly View Post

Yeah, there are serious punctuality problems with SNCF, too many strikes, all that because it's a national company, they thus have job security whatever they do. About LCD screens, you can ask for them at a special counter before riding the TGV, but if they are not embedded in seats I guess it's by fear of vandalism...

The TGV is made by Alstom, moreover the world record breaking new train is an AGV made without any connection with SNCF. This speed record has nothing to do with SNCF's commercial service quality, which is, I agreed more than 100%, maybe the worst on planet earth.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #58
Salif

Likes (Received): 337

Excuse my ignorance but are they extending Marseille St Charles?
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #59
Salif

Likes (Received): 337

They should run a silver and blue TGV duplex to London St Pancras when the CTRL fully opens just to see what it looks like
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #60
Minato ku

Quote:
Yeah, there are serious punctuality problems with SNCF, too many strikes, all that because it's a national company, they thus have job security whatever they do. About LCD screens, you can ask for them at a special counter before riding the TGV, but if they are not embedded in seats I guess it's by fear of vandalism...

The TGV is made by Alstom, moreover the world record breaking new train is an AGV made without any connection with SNCF. This speed record has nothing to do with SNCF's commercial service quality, which is, I agreed more than 100%, maybe the worst on planet earth.
Don't exagerate
SNCF service is better than most of world trains compagnies.
It is right comparated at Japanese trains compagnies Sncf is .

Tags
alstom, high speed train, tgv