daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #661
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

You are not required to have a passport to travel between Shcengen countries, not even by direct intra-Schengen flights. I'm not sure if Eurostar TOS formally require to have some valid ID. Moreover, each country has its own requirments on having (or not) IDs all the time.

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #662
SAS 16

Likes (Received): 160

Its funny because once i went to the UK by plane and i had mi Id instead of my passport ( i was travelling from spain) and it was not a problem.
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #663
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Inside the EU the ID is enough, no passport needed, regardless if you travel inside the Schengen-area or not (considering the traveller himself is citizen of an EU nation). Additionally, if you travel inside the Schengen-area, there is no border check at all.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #664
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It doesn't matter wether you are. If you travel with a French TGV Paris-Figueres V. and you want to shuttle with an AVE, this will be all the passport control you will have

(source: transport of Barcelona)

Nowadays there are two daily Paris-Figueres and eight Figueres-Madrid. Obviously two of them have schedules according to French trains and conversely. In fact, in all AVE trains loudspeakers are always in Spanish and English at least. In these trains, if I'm not wrong, information is given in Spanish, Catalan, French and English.

As you know, it is expected to have more services and some trains are under tests.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #665
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

- Is the line between Tours and Bourdeaux under construction? How long before this line is finished? and when this line is finished how much time it costs between Hendaye and Paris?

- Is the stretch between Hendaye and Bourdeaux going to be constructed in the near future?

I live in the Basque Country so I'm very beneficiary of this line.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #666
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15439

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
- Is the line between Tours and BourdeauxBordeaux under construction?
Yes.

(btw, Bourdeaux is a tiny village in the departement of the Drôme in the region of Rhône-Alpes, while Bordeaux is the capital of Aquitaine)

Quote:
How long before this line is finished?
It´s supposed to be finished by 2017.

Quote:
and when this line is finished how much time it costs between Hendaye and Paris?
The travel time will be cut by around an hour and a half.

Quote:
- Is the stretch between Hendaye and Bourdeaux going to be constructed in the near future?

I live in the Basque Country so I'm very beneficiary of this line.
It should be but there are budgetary problems, and lots of... NYMBYs between Bayonne and Irun (between Irun and Vitoria too, but on the Spanish side they lost).

javimix19 liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; June 16th, 2013 at 01:42 AM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #667
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2254

L Y O N ST E X U P E R Y (LGV RHÔNE-ALPES)

Gare de Saint-Exupéry TGV (formerly Gare de Satolas) is a railway station near Lyon, France, directly attached to Lyon-Saint Exupéry Airport. The station was an addition to the airport built to serve TGV trains on the LGV Rhône-Alpes, part of the main line running from Paris to Marseille. It is situated about 20 km east of Lyon city centre.

Saint-Exupéry station was designed by Santiago Calatrava, cost 750 million Francs and opened on 3 July 1994, at the same as the high speed line to Saint-Marcel-lès-Valence. The building is mostly a combination of concrete and steel.

The station has six tracks laid in a cutting. The two central tracks are isolated to permit trains to traverse the station at full speed (300 km/h). Both sets of two tracks have platforms 500 m long. To the west, a small piece of land has been put aside for future expansion. Above the tracks, a 300 m long passenger concourse gives easy access to the platforms and is equipped with several travelators.
source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de...t-Exup%C3%A9ry

DESTINATIONS/ARRIVALS

NORD EUROPE
  • Brussels midi

FRANCE
  • Lille europe
  • Paris gare de Lyon
  • Marne la vallée Chessy
  • Roissy CDG2

image hosted on flickr

Gare TGV Lyon-Saint Exupéry (France) par vincentpretet, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Lyon - Gare de Lyon-Saint-Exupéry TGV par IngolfBLN, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Gare de Lyon Saint-Exupéry (Deux) par misterpulcri, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Gare TGV de Lyon Saint Exupèry (Lyon, France) par indeepdark, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Gare de Lyon Saint Exupéry par kopp38, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Calatrava Saint Exupery par Manuel.A.69, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Gare St Exupéry | Hall par Vision Photo-Graphique, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1890 par Thomas PASCUAL, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Gare de Lyon-Saint-Exupéry TGV (COLOMBIER-SAUGNIEU,FR69) par jean-louis zimmermann, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Gare de Lyon-Saint-Exupéry TGV (COLOMBIER-SAUGNIEU,FR69) par jean-louis zimmermann, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Gare Lyon Saint-Exupéry par dierk schaefer, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

20121015/10 par Thomas PASCUAL, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cold Symmetry par EpsilonVaz, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Plane by train par drlazymen, sur Flickr
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #668
Minato ku

St Exupery is a very beautiful station, it is a shame that it is quite useless and has a low number of passenger.
They wanted to do like CDG airport but Saint Exupery is a much smaller airport and access to the airport by transports from Lyon and its surroundings is insufficient.

CDG airport TGV station is attractive because CDG has a lot of international destination.
People who don't live in Paris area can use the TGV and then take a plane to a farther destination.

I am already more septic about the success of a TGV station in Orly airport.
The international destinal are less attractive for people leaving outside Paris.
The link to the success of a TGV station in Orly is a greater integration of the airport with its densily populated surroundings.
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #669
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Stunnig pictures about Satolas!!!!

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #670
Sister Greed U

The entire report of the Duron Commission. (Careful! It´s very long and only in French, have Google Translate or similar at hand).

Essentially, it says that nearly all the HSLs not in works are postponed till 2030 or later (or no date at all), except for the Normandy HSL between Paris and Mantes-la-Jolie.

It also puts the POCL (Paris-Orleans-Clermont Ferrand-Lyon) HSL under close watch (though it´s not considered a priority before 2030), providing some funds in case that the saturation of the old Paris-Lyon HSL forced to advance the project sooner than expected.

In any case, these two are the only HSLs that seem to gain priority over all the other older projects.

It also provides some funds for Montpellier-Perpignan, Bordeaux-Toulouse and Bordeaux-Hendaye just in case, but reading between the lines one gets the clear impression that they´ve become less of a priority than the former two above.

Last edited by 437.001; June 29th, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old June 29th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #671
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

What it pass with HSR between Lyon and Turin? It continues works?

What a shame with the line Bordeaux-Hendaye, not until 2030. Is France in hard economic situation? I don't understand that.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #672
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

a Question, I will be travelling between Delft(Rotterdam) and Abbeville comming summer, I'll be taking the Thaly's to Paris Gare du Nord and then the Intercités to Abbeville. Can anyone tell me if the train to abbeville is of good quality (comparable in some sort to the Thaly's)? Will there be laptop powerpoints/Café carriages?
Old June 29th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #673
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

So are they saying Sud Europe Atlantique is going to be postponed? Cause that would reduce the benefit for Toulose to be connected to Bordeaux via LGV. POCL definitely needs to be still be on the radar but without extensions of the LGVs to Switzerland and Lyon Torino being put off, I doubt Sud-Est will grow. Once the connections are made to where Milan is within 4 hours of Paris, Barcelona in 4.5 hours, and Zurich travel time being reduced further, there will need to be a POCL due to more trains per hour on the LGV.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #674
Minato ku

LGV Sud Europe Atlantique is under in construction.
No problem for this line.
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #675
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post

What it pass with HSR between Lyon and Turin? It continues works?

What a shame with the line Bordeaux-Hendaye, not until 2030. Is France in hard economic situation? I don't understand that.
Yes, France is in a difficult economic position too.
It has the highest unemployment in many years (not like in Spain though, but for several reasons, the current unemployment in France is even worse in some aspects, due to the social differences between both countries).
Had France had the rate of unemployment of Spain, there would probably be a civil war or worse.

Anyway, the travel time from Paris to Hendaye will improve even more once the HSL Tours-Bordeaux will open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
a Question, I will be travelling between Delft(Rotterdam) and Abbeville comming summer, I'll be taking the Thaly's to Paris Gare du Nord and then the Intercités to Abbeville. Can anyone tell me if the train to abbeville is of good quality (comparable in some sort to the Thaly's)? Will there be laptop powerpoints/Café carriages?
The train from Paris-Nord to Abbeville is an Intercités, usually Corail coaches. Bit old, but still good (at least to me). And no laptop power point, nor café coach (only maybe coffee trolley, but I´m not sure).

If you have the time, take the train to Le Tréport-Mers les Bains, those two towns are not far from Abbeville and are beautiful.

(unless you have already reserved, isn´t it better to take the train till Lille or TGV-Haute Picardie and then go to Abbeville via Amiens?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
So are they saying Sud Europe Atlantique is going to be postponed? Cause that would reduce the benefit for Toulose to be connected to Bordeaux via LGV.
No. Only Bordeaux-Toulouse (maybe), and Bordeaux-Hendaye.
Tours-Bordeaux is in works and they won´t stop.

Quote:
POCL definitely needs to be still be on the radar but without extensions of the LGVs to Switzerland and Lyon Torino being put off, I doubt Sud-Est will grow. Once the connections are made to where Milan is within 4 hours of Paris, Barcelona in 4.5 hours, and Zurich travel time being reduced further, there will need to be a POCL due to more trains per hour on the LGV.
POCL won´t improve nor worsen the travel time to Zurich in any way.
Nor most of Switzerland, except maybe (only maybe, that´s yet to be seen) Geneva.

It could improve the travel time for inner destinations in central and southern France, and Barcelona.
The big improvement of the connection Paris-Torino-Milan can only be achieved with the Lyon-Torino HSL, not just with POCL.
Paris-Barcelona instead, can substantially improve the travel time with POCL.

With POCL and later Montpellier-Perpignan, and IF the speed in POCL can be upgraded to 360km/h without any big increase in consumption of electricity, then Paris-Barcelona could be made in under 4h. Yes, I said under 4 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The only noisy place around this line is in Cognac, Saintes and Royan, which are claiming for an electrification of the Angoulême-Beillant-Saintes-Royan line.
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #676
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post

The train from Paris-Nord to Abbeville is an Intercités, usually Corail coaches. Bit old, but still good (at least to me). And no laptop power point, nor café coach (only maybe coffee trolley, but I´m not sure).

If you have the time, take the train to Le Tréport-Mers les Bains, those two towns are not far from Abbeville and are beautiful.

(unless you have already reserved, isn´t it better to take the train till Lille or TGV-Haute Picardie and then go to Abbeville via Amiens?)
I'm going to Crotoy and I'll be picked up in Abbeville! And yes in a straight line the train via Lille is shorter, but it takes longer due to taking the bus and local trains. The Thaly's makes the difference I suppose! But thanks for your answer!
Old June 30th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #677
Sister Greed U

To Le Crotoy? Looks like an interesting trip. Have a nice time in Picardy.

da_scotty liked this post
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #678
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
)
POCL won´t improve nor worsen the travel time to Zurich in any way.
Nor most of Switzerland, except maybe (only maybe, that´s yet to be seen) Geneva.

It could improve the travel time for inner destinations in central and southern France, and Barcelona.
The big improvement of the connection Paris-Torino-Milan can only be achieved with the Lyon-Torino HSL, not just with POCL.
Paris-Barcelona instead, can substantially improve the travel time with POCL.

With POCL and later Montpellier-Perpignan, and IF the speed in POCL can be upgraded to 360km/h without any big increase in consumption of electricity, then Paris-Barcelona could be made in under 4h. Yes, I said under 4 hours.
What I was meaning to say was that POCL would be needed if extensions of current LGVs were done along with Lyon-Torino since once they came under the 4 hour threshold and increased frequencies were needed or unless SNCF ordered more Duplex sets, POCL would be needed if capacity gets reached on Sud Est. My apologies for not making that clear.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:08 AM   #679
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

When is it stimated to arrive, for instance, to Bordeaux?
thx in advance

Old July 1st, 2013, 12:18 AM   #680
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
When is it stimated to arrive, for instance, to Bordeaux?
thx in advance

Tags
alstom, high speed train, tgv