daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:18 AM   #821
CB31

Likes (Received): 2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...-jean-station/

€200m to be spent upgrading Bordeaux Saint-Jean station
29 APR, 2014

Photo by RFF / CAPA / Richard Nourry (TOMA)

RFF and SNCF have launched a joint €200 million scheme to renovate Bordeaux Saint-Jean station ready for the inauguration of the Tours-Bordeaux TGV in 2017.

The three-year programme is made up of 14 separate projects designed to improve reliability of rail services in the Aquitaine region and allow the station to accommodate the additional seven million passengers expected to use the it from 2017.

As well as extending the station itself and modernising the current interior, money will be spent renewing track and building new maintenance facilities for TGV and TER vehicles.

The 302-kilometre Tours-Bordeaux HSL will reduce journey times between the cities to just over two hours.

RFF has already awarded the Vinci-led LISEA consortium a 50-year concession to maintain and renew the €7.8 billion route. The agreement requires SNCF to pay LISEA a fee to use the line
CB31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:19 AM   #822
CB31

Train à grand vitesse, High Speed Train (TGV) | Bordeaux-Toulouse | Opening 2024

Quote:
France to launch high-speed rail inquiries

FRANCE's minister of transport, Mr Frédéric Cuvilier, has approved the staging of three public inquires in October related to the so-called Grand Southwest Railway Project (GPSO).

GPSO encompasses the construction of two high-speed lines totalling 420km from Bordeaux southeast to Toulouse and southwest to Dax, with a second phase from Dax to Hendaye on the Spanish border. The third element of GPSO involves improvements to the rail network to the south of Bordeaux and the north of Toulouse.
The public inquiries are expected to last between four and eight weeks and will pave the way for a declaration of public utility in 2015. Work on the projects is planned to start in 2017.

The €5.9bn Bordeaux – Toulouse line is expected to open in 2024, followed by the €3.2bn Bordeaux – Dax line in 2027.

Both lines will effectively be extensions to the existing Paris - Tours TGV Altantique and TGV Sud-Europ Atlantique currently under construction between Tours and Bordeaux. When these projects are completed journey times will fall from 5h 30min to 3h 25min from Paris to Toulouse and from 5h 8min to 3h 25min for Paris to Bayonne, which is 51km southwest of Dax.

French Rail Network (RFF) has announced that earthworks and the majority of the civil works for the 182km Bretagne – Pays de la Loire high-speed line from Rennes to Le Mans have been completed allowing the installation of railway equipment – track, electrification and signalling – to start. The line is expected to open in 2017.
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #823
Cuthbert 80

Likes (Received): 19

Short vid of me recently travelling at 300 Km/h on a TGV Duplex on the LGV Sud-Est

Cuthbert 80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #824
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 813

My journey with a TGV Duplex from rainy Paris to sunny Avignon, Provence:

parcdesprinces, eurotren liked this post
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #825
donquichotedelmedina
BANNËD

Likes (Received): 5256

Montpellier Sud de France station bidder selected
Quote:
Infrastructure manager RFF has selected a consortium led by Icade as preferred bidder for the public-private partnership contract to design and build Montpellier Sud de France station.

The station on the new line between Nîmes and Montpellier is due to open in the fourth quarter of 2017. It is expected to cost €135m, plus €77m to accommodate an extension of the Montpellier tram network.
Contract signature is scheduled for the end of 2014.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...-selected.html

eurotren, dimlys1994 liked this post
donquichotedelmedina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #826
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquichotedelmedina View Post
Montpellier Sud de France station bidder selected
Where will this new station be located ? Montpellier has an extensive tram
network, will they interconnect ?
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #827
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15462

Formerly it was known as Montpellier-Odysseum.
It will be very close to Odysseum stop of line 1 of the Montpellier tramway.
An extra stop (including a short stretch of new line) will be built to serve the new station and link it to the centre and Montpellier St Roch railway station.

Dusko_BG, MarcVD liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #828
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Visit the New Jersey Section

parcdesprinces liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #829
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1595

great video and great choice of music! There even are AVE's so the video must be quite recent.

Somebody knows what are those humps on top of the Thalys? Maybe a relay to offer internet to passengers?

Also, I've always wondered why having 4 locos on double compositions such as TGV POS... the eurostar seems to do pretty fine with two locos at each side for a train the same size, so it seems like a waste of energy to me.

By the way, the series 23000 are still my favourite looking HST; the original orange was better though

(railpictures)
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #830
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

You're right about the humps on a Thalys, these are radomes for the satellite uplink.
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #831
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
Also, I've always wondered why having 4 locos on double compositions such as TGV POS... the eurostar seems to do pretty fine with two locos at each side for a train the same size, so it seems like a waste of energy to me.
Indeed, but generally, double TGVs (or Thalys etc) doesn't mean that both train sets (i.e. services) have the same destination etc...

Thats why BTW you can see for example, on the great video posted above, numerous Lyrias train sets coupled with French domestic TGVs...
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #832
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10936

The wi-fi system is Hispasat.
Moreover, the Eurostar TMST (TransManche Super Train) stick their 12,240 kW on 6 bogies, the first bogie of the first car is engine.
And obviously, a double HST has 4 locomotives because when remains simply needs 2.

So the AVE are "recent"...
... from 1992
El sistema wi-fi es de Hispasat.
Por otra parte, los Eurostar TMST meten sus 12.240 kW en 6 boggies, el primer boggie del primer coche es motor.
Y, obviamente, un HST en doble lleva 4 locomotoras porque cuando queda en simple necesita 2.

Así que los AVE son recientes...
... desde 1992
Gusiluz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #833
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Indeed, but generally, double TGVs (or Thalys etc) doesn't mean that both train sets (i.e. services) have the same destination etc... Thats why BTW you can see for example, on the great video posted above, numerous Lyrias train sets coupled with French domestic TGVs...
Where you see a TGV in Lyria design coupled with one in standard SNCF livery they probably both are going to Switzerland. Sets from the multitension pool are quite regularly used on Lyria services. Lyria is just a marketing organization, the trains are still owned by SNCF, operated by them and the SBB, and the Lyria services are accessible for domestic travelers, both in France and Switzerland...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #834
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
Eurostar runs 400m trains because it has too. For all other railways it's more efficient to have a fleet of 200m HSTs that you can combine to form a 400m train when demand warrants it...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #835
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

A 400m set would have an aerodynamic advantage, so I wonder how much more efficient a 400m TGV Euroduplex would be compare to 2 200m sets. On some lines they pretty much run doubles for most of the day.

The TMST has the worst power to weight ratio (16,28 kW/t) of all TGV family trains, causing slower acceleration at speed. An ICE1 is even worse at just 11,3 kW/t, but that model was designed for a 250 km/h service speed.

BTW: The original TGV Sud-Est also has 12 driven axles, just like the TMST. Power is however 'just' 6350 kW. It's the also the only model to use DC-motors instead of the much more powerful AC types used on later models. It's power to weight ratio is just slightly higher (16,75 kW/t), but remember they were originally designed for 270 km/h.
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #836
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9964

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Where you see a TGV in Lyria design coupled with one in standard SNCF livery they probably both are going to Switzerland. Sets from the multitension pool are quite regularly used on Lyria services. Lyria is just a marketing organization, the trains are still owned by SNCF, operated by them and the SBB, and the Lyria services are accessible for domestic travelers, both in France and Switzerland...
Maybe but my point remains though, because for example on the TGV Atlantique line which I use quite often, they are pretty accustomed to couple a 10-car TGV Atlantique set going to Toulouse with another 10-car TGV going to Hendaye/Irùn or to Tarbes (the trains are coupled and de-coupled at Bordeaux St-Jean Station). Oh and they do the same sometimes with 8-car Toulouse-Lille (via Massy and CDG) TGVs Nord coupled with Toulouse-Paris Montparnasse 10-car TGVs Atlantique, and so on.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #837
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
A 400m set would have an aerodynamic advantage, so I wonder how much more efficient a 400m TGV Euroduplex would be compare to 2 200m sets. On some lines they pretty much run doubles for most of the day.
This has been considered. At some point in time SNCF had a plan for a
"jumbo-duplex" TGV with 2 8-car sets, a normal power unit at each end,
and two "blind" (without driving post) power units in between. They finally
decided againt because there were not enough cases where such a consist
would be needed. At that time I found this motivation quite strange, knowing
how many small sub-series of TGVs SNCF already owns.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #838
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Another factor could be the layout of their maintenance facilities. If most can only handle 200m units they would have to split a 400m train every time it comes in for maintenance. (As far as I know Eurostar has their own facilities that can handle that length)

One other interesting note on capacity: A set of single class Ouigo Euroduplexes can 'only' carry 1268 people, while every single deck 16-car 400m Tokaido Shinkansen set carries over 1300. All because they had the opportunity to use wider instead of higher trains. From experience I know that seating comfort of the N700 far exceeds a Thalys. The highest capacity high speed train would be 2 8-car Shinkansen E4s that can move a staggering 1634 seated passengers!
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:10 AM   #839
CB31

Launching of public inquiries for the LGV Bordeaux-Toulouse and Bordeaux-Spain

Quote:
From October 14 to December 8, will open the Public Inquiry for the first phase of the new lines of GPSO, major rail project of the southwest.

It was Michel Delpuech, prefect of the Aquitaine region that coordinates public inquiries of new railway lines at high speed, which will extend the Tours-Bordeaux line (300 km), to be completed in 2017 The first phase of this project, which was recorded by the government in the summer of 2013, relates to two stretches 327 km from Bordeaux to Toulouse-south one hand and Bordeaux-south Dax other. The project is divided into a common part of two sections, 55 km south of the Gironde, and 105 km to Dax (Landes) and 167 km to Toulouse.

Along with these new lines, connections to the existing line, south of Bordeaux (12 km) and north of Toulouse (19 km) are also subject to an open public inquiries during the same period. Daniel Maguerez chairing the public inquiry for the new lines and Jean-Paul Beti, the rail schemes south of Bordeaux.
http://www.lemoniteur.fr/147-transpo...vers-l-espagne

Dusko_BG liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:28 PM   #840
alsama

Likes (Received): 612

Vaud, krisu99, ilergeta liked this post
alsama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alstom, high speed train, tgv