daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #861
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Many SNCF regions publicly say that they are so unhappy with SNCF service and price that they would go immediately to competition if it was possible now.
Why isn't that possible now? Running contracts, obstruction by SNCF?

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:11 AM   #862
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The French regions are required by law to procure services from SNCF. They have zero possibilities of running a public tender for their services, even if they'd want to. This leads to zero competition for SNCF and hence, zero pressure to improve either.

If the French law would be changed (which has to happen at some point in the future, given the EU's 4th Railway Package) I think that most TER services will be put out to tender and will be run by different operators in the future. In my opinion the most likely contesters are Arriva, Abellio, Veolia and National Express.
Old February 16th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #863
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Isn't competition already required by current European law? I can't imagine why other countries would already allow/require competition if they weren't required to do so by the EU.
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #864
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Isn't competition already required by current European law?
Since when does anyone, except for the British and occassionally the Dutch, Germans, etc care what EU law says if they don't like it?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #865
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Right now the EU does not require rail services to be tendered, it's up to the member states to decide if they want to do so. This will change in the future, once the 4th railway package comes into full swing, but even then there will be cases where a member state can opt not to put services out to tender if they properly motivate it.

I expect that French regions will eventually be able to put their rail services out to tender if they so desire. They're very dissatisfied about incumbent operator SNCF and I think a different operator (such as Arriva) could easily make a business case that offers much more public transport to a region's inhibitants for the same bag of money.

France is one of the powerhouses behind the EU, just like Germany. This is why they can force the EU to adapt legislation to what they deem is best, irregardless of the good intentions behind the original proposal.

For example: the 4th railway package more or less forced public tendering of public transport contracts, making a direct award nearly impossible. But because of lobbying power from the French, the Belgians and some other countries the proposal was watered down and a direct award will remain possible (if properly motivated). The original 4th railway package also required a complete seperation of infrastructure manager from operators but this was retracted after the Germans and the Austrians protested, wanting to protect their holding structures.
Old February 17th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #866
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Isn't competition already required by current European law? I can't imagine why other countries would already allow/require competition if they weren't required to do so by the EU.
Only for long distances. Regional service can be awarded directly.
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #867
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 04:26 AM   #868
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I just love how this guy films. He knows where to find perfect spots for shooting those zoomed in scenes where you see the whole train. Not just like in the generic videos standing on the platform and wobbling the camera around.

x-type liked this post
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #869
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

France and Italy sign Lyon – Turin accord
Thursday, February 26, 2015

FRENCH president Mr François Hollande, French secretary of state for transport Mr Alain Vidalies and Italian infrastructure and transport minister Mr Maurizio Lupi signed an agreement to go ahead with a new €26bn railway linking Lyon and Turin during an international summit in Paris on February 24

"We can now say the Lyon – Turin railway is not just in the pipeline, but has been launched," Hollande says. "It will take time to come to fruition but there are, as of today, no brakes on the project and no obstacles lying in the way of its completion."

This agreement follows the approval of the project by the Italian Interministerial Committee for Economic Planning (CIPE) on February 20, paving the way for an application for TEN-T funding from the European Union (EU). The French and Italian governments hope to secure up to 40% of the funding required for the project from EU sources

Old March 21st, 2015, 08:36 PM   #870
Nexis
Dark Wolf

charpentier, mrsmartman liked this post
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:40 PM   #871
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...completed.html

LGV Est Phase 2 completed
31 Mar 2015

The last rail was welded on March 31, photo by Céline Keller

FRANCE: On March 31 SNCF President Guillaume Pepy joined SNCF Réseau President Jacques Rapoport and other dignitaries as the last rail was welded to mark the completion of construction work on Phase 2 of LGV Est, the high speed line between Paris and Strasbourg. Work on Phase 2, covering the 106 km between Baudrecourt and Vendenheim, had begun in 2010.

Following further signalling work to enable control of the new route from Pagny-sur-Moselle, commissioning trials and staff training, Phase 2 is due to enter service on April 3 2016. This will enable the fastest Paris – Strasbourg journey time to be cut to 1 h 48 min, and that between Luxembourg and Strasbourg via Thionville and Metz to be reduced to 1 h 36 min

KingNick, EduardSA, charpentier, 437.001 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #872
Allainlloyd999ify

Likes (Received): 40

In brittany the LGV is the slowest LGV on the france?
Allainlloyd999ify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #873
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9962

There's no LGV in Brittany.

G5man liked this post
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #874
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15435

Which will be the new travel times for Paris-Stuttgart and Paris-Munich?
These two routes are directly involved in the opening of this new section of the HSL, so I guess that passenger numbers will increase a bit more.
Not the Paris-Frankfurt (Main) route though, since it leaves the HSL right at Baudrecourt, so it won't get any benefit from the new section.

After this stretch opens, there will be the following HSL sections left to open:

-Tours-Bordeaux
-Le Mans-Rennes
-Nîmes-Montpellier
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #875
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Which will be the new travel times for Paris-Stuttgart and Paris-Munich?
The fastest trains between Strasbourg and Stuttgart are 1:17 (via Karlsruhe), so Paris - Stuttgart should be just over 3 hours.

I did not find any direct trains between Strasbourg and Munich, so Paris - Munich would be more difficult to estimate. I guess probably between 5:15 and 5:30 for the TGV/ICE trains, so an improvement of about 30 to 45 minutes.

437.001 liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #876
Nexis
Dark Wolf

mrsmartman liked this post
Old April 16th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #877
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Is Eurostar skipping on the train washing bill?
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #878
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Most passenger railroads are doing that. Sometimes with the exception of their most premier service, but that's purely window dressing.
Old April 16th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #879
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10886

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The fastest trains between Strasbourg and Stuttgart are 1:17 (via Karlsruhe), so Paris - Stuttgart should be just over 3 hours.

I did not find any direct trains between Strasbourg and Munich, so Paris - Munich would be more difficult to estimate. I guess probably between 5:15 and 5:30 for the TGV/ICE trains, so an improvement of about 30 to 45 minutes.
For Paris-Stuttgart I have noted that since the June 10, 2007 (POS) takes 3:45 (as now) and since April 3, 2016 it will take 3:10.

For Paris-Munich took 6:12 (now 6:09) and from 2016 it will take 5:40.

437.001 liked this post

Last edited by Gusiluz; April 16th, 2015 at 08:03 PM.
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 07:21 AM   #880
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is Eurostar skipping on the train washing bill?
They probably only wash it a few times per yr...

Tags
alstom, high speed train, tgv